[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2003 team  (Read 4721 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: 2003 team
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2023, 12:08:06 PM »
I will never dismiss the impact Crean on had on the history of MU basketball. He provided a ton of excitement, team success, brought the greatest player in school history to the program and energized a fanbase. That being said, he left at the right time and I was happy when left. It was time for a new era.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2023, 12:11:58 PM »
I will never dismiss the impact Crean on had on the history of MU basketball. He provided a ton of excitement, team success, brought the greatest player in school history to the program and energized a fanbase. That being said, he left at the right time and I was happy when left. It was time for a new era.

+1 maybe if we make a run in 08 he stays but I doubt it and if he does maybe we're slightly better in 09 but almost certainly worse in 10, 11, 12 & 13
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2023, 12:18:00 PM »

Program rejuvenator, not a coach to take the program to the next step?  Probably
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2023, 12:20:46 PM »
Mmmmm, ketchup on a hot dog.   With some sweet relish, onions, cheese
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 12:25:57 PM »
Mmmmm, ketchup on a hot dog.   With some sweet relish, onions, cheese

So wait ... ketchup on hot dogs AND pineapple on pizza?

Jeesh, just when you thought you knew a guy!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 12:28:53 PM »
He was asked questions and answered honestly and was very complimentary of Wade as to be expected. TC's a good guy and cares about MU.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2023, 12:30:07 PM »
Crean made an awful choice when he left by lying to the Administration.

He was also a screaming prick to many of the staff inside the Al.  That’s in part why you hear boo’s.

I appreciate his success on the court. IU did us a favor. Crean was not sustainable. His post MU record supports that.   

Do I think he is more humble now?  Perhaps.

That ship has sailed.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2023, 12:36:15 PM »
He was an ass as he left this is true

He did huge things for the program this is true

Hes been very complimentary of MU since IU this is true

Pros outweigh negatives, I've called many a person an ass or been called an ass on this board for something that may have been true in the moment but would still grab a beer with them. I view it the same with Crean, he was an ass in a moment, that's always true but doesn't negate everything else.

Good summation, GE.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 12:41:13 PM »
I hated Crean when he left for Indiana and tuned into most IU games actively rooting for him to lose. It was a satisfying day for me when they fired him.

Though at that point, I completed got over the hatred and can now fully appreciate what he did for MU and I’ve wished him success since then. I wanted him to succeed at Georgia and would give him a warm welcome back to MU any time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2023, 12:42:00 PM »
So wait ... ketchup on hot dogs AND pineapple on pizza?

Jeesh, just when you thought you knew a guy!
;)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mix it up

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2023, 12:43:19 PM »
Could have deflected with something else...

Now why would he have deflected? Landing Wade and getting to the FF were his 2 biggest accomplishments in his career. (ok, some might argue getting hired by 4I was) Anyone with those achievements would talk about it when asked. ANYONE

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 01:03:19 PM »
Many people dislike that Crean is a salesman. Those types always come across as disingenuous. That said, after Deane we NEEDED a salesman. We needed someone to fill the student section, to bring back donors, and to get the right recruits. Crean did all that and thank god because the vast majority of us wouldn't be here if he hadn't.

Crean was a salesman, Buzz was a showman, and Wojo was a nice guy in over his head. Shaka is different than all of them. He's a ball coach and a relationship builder. But he's not a salesman.

We could really use a salesman right now. A salesman that can sell the brand that is Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2023, 01:10:24 PM »
Many people dislike that Crean is a salesman. Those types always come across as disingenuous. That said, after Deane we NEEDED a salesman. We needed someone to fill the student section, to bring back donors, and to get the right recruits. Crean did all that and thank god because the vast majority of us wouldn't be here if he hadn't.

Crean was a salesman, Buzz was a showman, and Wojo was a nice guy in over his head. Shaka is different than all of them. He's a ball coach and a relationship builder. But he's not a salesman.

We could really use a salesman right now. A salesman that can sell the brand that is Marquette.

100%. Marketing is stepping it up as of recently with the success of the team. Marquette could use a touch more salesmanship to really keep things rolling, or just a sweet 16, ill take that too.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2023, 01:11:39 PM »

You are saying that you would rather have a crean or buzz type over Shaka?

Is scooptakes still around?  JFC.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2023, 01:13:51 PM »

brew can correct me if I'm wrong, but I read it as he'd like Crean at MU to sell while Shaka coaches ball.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2023, 01:15:17 PM »
. I thought it was a good question.  I recall that Wade kind of came out of nowhere to the casual fan.  There was very little talk about him as a recruiting target.  He was’t a prized recruit that people were fighting for and excited about.

While this is true, it should be noted that almost the minute Wade stepped on the OldGym practice floor, everyone knew he was going to be special, to the point that MU beat writer Lori Nickel wrote an article about him entitled “The One Who Didn’t Get Away.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2023, 01:24:42 PM »

Is scooptakes still around?  JFC.

Not at all. I want Shaka here as long as possible. The next 25 years would be great.

But someone who's a salesman working with Shaka? That would be ideal. Let Shaka run things, let the salesman hype the program.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2023, 01:27:00 PM »
A competent marketing department.   I just got my invitation to buy an ugly hat for National Marquette Day.      Sorry.   I want something like this, but with an MU logo and the colors on the underside of the brim.

https://www.williammurraygolf.com/products/players-tech-hat-white

There are so many cool styles and designs out there.    The gray uniforms weren't great on the court, but they opened up a whole palette of MU gear.   

The Wiscy jerseys from the Penn State game, if they do an entire product line, are going to make them a crap ton of money.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 01:38:21 PM by tower912 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2023, 01:27:43 PM »
Crean's not very bright. Having said that, he has the gift of gab, which in college basketball translates to being able to recruit.
As for his coaching, he's a phony and a fraud. Getting #3 into MU is Crean's greatest accomplishment. DWade made Tom Crean generational wealth and as such he and Joanie should worship the ground he walks on.
In short, Crean sucks and are better off without that empty sack, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2023, 01:35:39 PM »
Not at all. I want Shaka here as long as possible. The next 25 years would be great.

But someone who's a salesman working with Shaka? That would be ideal. Let Shaka run things, let the salesman hype the program.

So like a hype man? 

panda

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2023, 01:37:00 PM »
I'd go as far as to say you don't know ball if you don't like Tom Crean at this point.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2023, 01:37:24 PM »
So like a hype man?

Crean can take over the MC role and play Cotton Eye Joe at the most opportune moment.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2023, 01:39:04 PM »
Marquette doesn't need a salesman or showman. They need to win with consistency. If Shaka brings that, all will be good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2023, 01:40:10 PM »
Marquette doesn't need a salesman or showman. They need to win with consistency. If Shaka brings that, all will be good.

That's what the fine people in the MU athletics marketing office are for.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2023, 01:42:01 PM »
A competent marketing department.   I just got my invitation to buy an ugly hat for National Marquette Day.      Sorry.   I want something like this, but with an MU logo and the colors on the underside of the brim.

https://www.williammurraygolf.com/products/players-tech-hat-white

There are so many cool styles and designs out there.    The gray uniforms weren't great on the court, but they opened up a whole palette of MU gear.   

The Wiscy jerseys from the Penn State game, if they do an entire product line, are going to make them a crap ton of money.   

I’d love that hat.  Great eye. 

feedback