Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: X is going to be tough  (Read 11557 times)

Daniel

• All American
Re: X is going to be tough
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2023, 04:46:33 PM »
He said it before the game on air I believe.  I recall hearing it as well.

TY - thought I was going crazy only one hearing it!   And for the record he said low major, not mid major.    I’m sure deep down he loves us and respects us.   Now. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2023, 09:11:43 PM »
Man so much of this fanbase is so sensitive. Podcasts hate us because they don’t have podcasts about us every time we win a big game, and when they do talk about us their compliments fall short. ESPN hates us when they open their show with us but don’t write a big article after every win. Other coaches disrespect us because their compliments aren’t worded how we want. Announcers look at rosters and realize players looking for more minutes probably won’t find it at MU so they don’t suggest MU is where a player would want to transfer and it’s a slight at us, even though we also say Shaka doesn’t want to play the transfer game anyway.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 09:23:18 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2023, 09:31:57 PM »
Man so much of this fanbase is so sensitive. Podcasts hate us because they don’t have podcasts about us every time we win a big game, and when they do talk about us their compliments fall short. ESPN hates us when they open their show with us but don’t write a big article after every win. Other coaches disrespect us because their compliments aren’t worded how we want. Announcers look at rosters and realize players looking for more minutes probably won’t find it at MU so they don’t suggest MU is where a player would want to transfer and it’s a slight at us, even though we also say Shaka doesn’t want to play the transfer game anyway.

Nothing wrong with admitting when you're wrong. I undersold this team too.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2023, 09:37:02 PM »
Nothing wrong with admitting when you're wrong. I undersold this team too.

As did I, by a ton. These people aren’t going to do deep dives on the team. They see a team that has 0 projected 2023 NBA Draft picks doing well, so they’re looking at a plucky team that plays hard and punches above its weight.

Edited to include: they also saw a team that finished 6th in the Big East and lost 3 starters, including their 2 leading scorers, and replaced them with an NAIA transfer, an international prospect who wasn’t viewed as a top recruit, and two 3 star, sub 150 ranked recruits. Their leading returning scorer averaged 7.4 points per game. They also were a terrible rebounding team and lost 3 of its top 4 rebounders.

All in all, it’s completely fair to say this team is punching above its weight. It’s a testament to Shaka’s coaching ability.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 11:16:41 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2023, 11:01:36 PM »
As did I, by a ton. These people aren’t going to do deep dives on the team. They see a team that has 0 projected 2023 NBA Draft picks doing well, so they’re looking at a plucky team that plays hard and punches above its weight.
Everyone hates us, I like...
Goal is National Championship

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2023, 11:50:28 PM »

Edited to include: they also saw a team that finished 6th in the Big East and lost 3 starters, including their 2 leading scorers, and replaced them with an NAIA transfer, an international prospect who wasn’t viewed as a top recruit, and two 3 star, sub 150 ranked recruits. Their leading returning scorer averaged 7.4 points per game. They also were a terrible rebounding team and lost 3 of its top 4 rebounders.

All in all, it’s completely fair to say this team is punching above its weight. It’s a testament to Shaka’s coaching ability.

Yup^
It’s no slight to the guys that are on the team to say the above either.

They have gotten leaps and bounds improvements from 4+ returning players this season, improvements that are better than I think most of the fan base would have admitted, as well as better than expected production from at least 1 frosh.

Listed out-
Returnees with better than expected improvements:
TyKo, Kam, Oso, Stevie.
Improved by leaps and bounds, but arguable if expected: Omax.
Improved, but arguable on if by leaps and bounds: Jop.

Frosh:
Chase much better than expected.
Gold and Sean par for the course.

So, at the very least 5 of the guys are performing above what even the most rabid MU fans would have expected imo.
A few more are performing way better than last year or to their expectations, whether lofty or not.
I’d argue not a single “lost” guy or underachiever outside of Keeyan, but we’ve never seen him play enough to even know and there’s the shadow of Oso.

I’m not sure I’ve seen that in ANY Marquette team that I’ve followed

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2023, 06:30:59 AM »
I interpreted it as MU runs a disciplined system like a mid major but with high level talent.

I agree with this. It was definitely meant as a compliment and said with admiration.  The great equalizer when mid majors play high majors is the mid major usually has to play smart basketball. Good shots, not many turnovers. On defense create turnovers and force bad shots.  He was merely saying they play like that only with high major talent.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2023, 06:58:48 AM »
How's everybody feeling,???  I was up a little earlier than normal today.  This game is obviously MASSIVE.  Hopefully we find a way.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2023, 07:20:24 AM »
How's everybody feeling,???  I was up a little earlier than normal today.  This game is obviously MASSIVE.  Hopefully we find a way.

Were this the Wojo era, I’d be racing to the window to bet X -3.5. His teams almost always got blown out in big games we needed or on network TV. With Shaka at the helm I’ll stick to the over/under and side under 163. I don’t expect MU to win because it’s almost impossible to beat a good Big East team on the road, but they’ll keep it close at a minimum.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2023, 07:21:39 AM »
Hurley said LOW major, not mid major.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2023, 07:25:30 AM »

Not sure that makes a difference in the context of the statement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2023, 07:27:16 AM »

Come on mugs, we’ve got this man!  But yes, this is a bigun!! A real barometer…win this and the buzzin( no pun) really picks up and the expectations rise to a new level.  Shakas been here before. He lives, eats and sleeps with his players, figuratively of course
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2023, 07:29:06 AM »

Whatever he said he was referring to style of play not talent level. The words high major talent came out of his mouth. Every coach in basketball is trying to get their team to play as smart and as unselfishly as they can. It’s harder to do with high major talent and high major egos. It was a compliment.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2023, 07:31:35 AM »

Pretty good. Cautiously optimistic (sounds like a political phrase, doesn't it?) but free from any worry that we are at a crossroad in the conference play and that a loss would be crippling.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2023, 07:38:13 AM »

I have made the same argument.  BTW, 3 starters and Greg left.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2023, 07:45:31 AM »

I feel good, but its a road game in the Big East. They're difficult. If they lose, it won't change my overall outlook for this team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2023, 07:46:09 AM »
Come on mugs, we’ve got this man!  But yes, this is a bigun!! A real barometer…win this and the buzzin( no pun) really picks up and the expectations rise to a new level.  Shakas been here before. He lives, eats and sleeps with his players, figuratively of course

I don't care for Nunge.  He just bothers me.  Hopefully he has an abysmal performance. 

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2023, 07:48:21 AM »
It is nice going into a game like this knowing that we don’t “need” it. We have money in the bank here. I hope MU plays hard and scraps out a victory but I will not be overly disappointed with a close loss. I would be discouraged with a blowout though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2023, 07:52:45 AM »
Not worried.  And, just because I know it will trigger so many,

house money.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2023, 07:52:50 AM »
Pretty good. Cautiously optimistic (sounds like a political phrase, doesn't it?) but free from any worry that we are at a crossroad in the conference play and that a loss would be crippling.

I agree with your overall point Scoop Snoop but a win today would be inordinately consequential.  It could really propel this program into the tier 1....a.k a. look the hell out position.  And the scariest thought for others is MU is just beginning its resurgence, these boys will continue to get better.  All I'm saying is this puts us in formidable position to do further damage and pad our resume to a top seed moving forward.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2023, 07:54:56 AM »
Today's game might be the difference between a 2 and 4 seed in the NCAA tournament.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2023, 08:09:26 AM »
Who guards Souley Boum...OMax or Stevie? If MU can disrupt him like we did Hawkins (and to a lesser degree, Jackson) of UConn, that could go a long way towards controlling the game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2023, 08:13:21 AM »
It will be interesting with X's Jones being a versatile 6'7.   OMax will be tied up with a Nunge or Freemantle at the start.   So the question is who will Stevie guard, Boum or Jones?   

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2023, 08:16:13 AM »
I agree with your overall point Scoop Snoop but a win today would be inordinately consequential.  It could really propel this program into the tier 1....a.k a. look the hell out position.  And the scariest thought for others is MU is just beginning its resurgence, these boys will continue to get better.  All I'm saying is this puts us in formidable position to do further damage and pad our resume to a top seed moving forward.

No argument with you Muggs. I did not imply that a win today would not be "inordinately consequential" and of course we all have high hopes. My point was if the game does not, ummm.. end well for us, we are still in a strong position. Contrast this with Wojo blowing our chances by his alleged coaching. He left Ws on the table when we had a chance to move up in the BE.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2023, 08:16:53 AM »

Fine. I hope both teams play hard and with sportsmanship and have fun
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback