Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: X is going to be tough  (Read 11558 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: X is going to be tough
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2023, 09:52:15 AM »
Does X really have a shot blocker?

Nunge is 9th in the Big East with 1.35 blocks per game. (By comparison, Oso is 6th at 1.72; Clingan is 1st at 2.17.) Freemantle is 15th at 0.82.

Fun stat: Gold averages only 7.7 mpg, so he doesn't have the high total of the leaders. But he ranks 4th in blocks per 40 minutes at 3.74. Trails only UConn's Clingan (6.09), Creighton's King (4.38) and Providence's Moore (3.75).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2023, 10:21:48 AM »
Brew, X has shot the ball off the charts.  I'm a little concerned they could go ballistic from distance and put us on our heels. As a side note I can't stand Kunkel. Perhaps there's a wrinkle or two Shaka can come up with for this one?   It seems to me this is one of those games where we need to shoot the triple closer to 40% and keep them off the FT line.  On offense what is our best match-up to exploit?  I was really happy with the way Oso took it to UCONN's bigs despite some early struggles.  Also, I don't think people have given Jones the Elder enough credit for his 2H vs UCONN.  Not to mention his cold blooded triple at 73-70.  This kid can score in bunches Brew, hopefully he has a big game Sunday.

They are a great shooting team, but Miller's offense doesn't want shots at the arc. 7 of the last 9 years they've been sub-300 in three-point attempt percentage, meaning they are far less likely to take a three than a two given the choice. Can they go ballistic from deep? Yes. Will they? Not if we chase them off the line, because going ballistic from deep isn't what they are coached to do.

In the majority of their games, Xavier takes 13-17 threes. If they "go ballistic" you end up with them going 8/16 or something similar, which is perfectly fine. Those threes vs twos isn't going to kill you. Where it becomes a problem is if you don't chase them off the line and they go 14/26 like they did against Georgetown. Chase them off the line, make them go inside and take less efficient shots that have a lower value if they hit.

Here's the other thing...our main lineup is good defensively. I know we aren't good as a team, but our starting five allows a respectable 92.5 points per 100 possessions. For Xavier, their starters are at 109.2 every 100 possessions. Kunkel is a poor defender. Nunge and Freemantle are not quick inside. First off, do what we did with Karaban. Every time Kunkel is out there, get him on an island like we did with Karaban and go at him. Second, get Oso and O-Max moving and attacking their bigs. Our big men are quicker and can beat them one-on-one.

The UConn game to me showed the key to success the rest of the year. Heavy dose of the starting lineup. I'd like to see 20 minutes of Oso/O-Max/Kam/Stevie/TK. That is the best lineup in the country and will lead us to wins most nights. And I don't mean that to be hyperbole. I would take that five man unit against any five man unit from any team in Division I. Keep them together, add in doses of Jop and Chase (hopefully together, Chase is Jop's defensive security blanket), then just sprinkle Sean and Gold as necessary.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2023, 10:25:19 AM »
Nunge is 9th in the Big East with 1.35 blocks per game. (By comparison, Oso is 6th at 1.72; Clingan is 1st at 2.17.) Freemantle is 15th at 0.82.

Fun stat: Gold averages only 7.7 mpg, so he doesn't have the high total of the leaders. But he ranks 4th in blocks per 40 minutes at 3.74. Trails only UConn's Clingan (6.09), Creighton's King (4.38) and Providence's Moore (3.75).

Nunge's blocks are deceptive. 10 of his 23 blocks came in three buy games against sub-250 competition (SELA, Fairfield, Morgan State). His block rate is 4.6% for the season, but just 3.3% in Big East play. He's a decent shot-blocker, but nothing like Clingan.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2023, 10:34:03 AM »
Eliminate second chance points
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2023, 12:37:54 PM »
Nunge's blocks are deceptive. 10 of his 23 blocks came in three buy games against sub-250 competition (SELA, Fairfield, Morgan State). His block rate is 4.6% for the season, but just 3.3% in Big East play. He's a decent shot-blocker, but nothing like Clingan.

Good catch, brew.

And I agree with your previous post about strategy. I'm really excited to see how Shaka goes at it and how our guys execute. I hope Marquette plays as well as we all know is possible. If so, Scoop will be a damn happy place Sunday afternoon!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2023, 12:57:11 PM »

For comparison, the nation's leader in block rate is Ja'Vier Francis from Houston at 19.3%.
The dude is only 6'8", which is unreal to me.

Clingan is fourth at 14.9%.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2023, 01:01:41 PM »
They are a great shooting team, but Miller's offense doesn't want shots at the arc. 7 of the last 9 years they've been sub-300 in three-point attempt percentage, meaning they are far less likely to take a three than a two given the choice. Can they go ballistic from deep? Yes. Will they? Not if we chase them off the line, because going ballistic from deep isn't what they are coached to do.

In the majority of their games, Xavier takes 13-17 threes. If they "go ballistic" you end up with them going 8/16 or something similar, which is perfectly fine. Those threes vs twos isn't going to kill you. Where it becomes a problem is if you don't chase them off the line and they go 14/26 like they did against Georgetown. Chase them off the line, make them go inside and take less efficient shots that have a lower value if they hit.

Here's the other thing...our main lineup is good defensively. I know we aren't good as a team, but our starting five allows a respectable 92.5 points per 100 possessions. For Xavier, their starters are at 109.2 every 100 possessions. Kunkel is a poor defender. Nunge and Freemantle are not quick inside. First off, do what we did with Karaban. Every time Kunkel is out there, get him on an island like we did with Karaban and go at him. Second, get Oso and O-Max moving and attacking their bigs. Our big men are quicker and can beat them one-on-one.

The UConn game to me showed the key to success the rest of the year. Heavy dose of the starting lineup. I'd like to see 20 minutes of Oso/O-Max/Kam/Stevie/TK. That is the best lineup in the country and will lead us to wins most nights. And I don't mean that to be hyperbole. I would take that five man unit against any five man unit from any team in Division I. Keep them together, add in doses of Jop and Chase (hopefully together, Chase is Jop's defensive security blanket), then just sprinkle Sean and Gold as necessary.

Agree on the chasing off the line. I was really impressed how well the team overall chased Uconn off the line on Wednesday. The rotations were CRISP out there (as a side note TKO was really great on his speed of recovery). Keep that up, and I expect good things.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2023, 01:42:24 PM »
Eliminate second chance points
No, need to keep it close and finally win a close game.
Goal is National Championship

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2023, 01:44:33 PM »
How times have changed. Oh how we hated playing Huggy at UC. Now X has taken center stage in Cincinnati.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2023, 02:20:22 PM »
You can't leave X open for three, but I would be more focused about taking away the 2 than the 3. They shoot as well as they do because they are selective with their 3s. They only like to take them when they are basically a warmup shot before a game. What they want you to do is overcommit to the three so they have space to operate. Key to this game is crisp closeouts. I would try to clog the lane but whoever is on the ball needs to be in that person's grill. A pass to another shooter on the perimeter happens, his defender needs to close out hard and the passer's defender needs to help clog the lane. A lot easier said than done. I hate Zone, but this may be the game to break out a matchup zone.

I have no concerns about scoring on X.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 02:22:00 PM by TAMU, the Wizard of MU Basketball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2023, 02:50:47 PM »
The answer to the 1st question is something that I'm sure everyone on here will get excited about.

https://youtu.be/45rkNtAD7qE
VIOLENCE!

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2023, 03:10:28 PM »
Thanks GE, great listen. Makes me like Sean Miller, very complimentary of this Marquette team

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2023, 04:03:35 PM »
Thanks GE, great listen. Makes me like Sean Miller, very complimentary of this Marquette team

Should make for one heck of a contest.  Two high powered offenses, hard working teams, great coaching.  Can't wait!
VIOLENCE!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2023, 05:04:01 PM »
F it. X has a cheater coach. Cheaters never prosper! Drop the hammer!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2023, 05:13:00 PM »
The answer to the 1st question is something that I'm sure everyone on here will get excited about.

https://youtu.be/45rkNtAD7qE

So did Miller pick us ninth?

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2023, 05:26:48 PM »
Should make for one heck of a contest.  Two high powered offenses, hard working teams, great coaching.  Can't wait!

Road tripped to Cintas for MU/X game in 2019. MU won by 5. Nice smaller sized arena ( about 10, 000). Has kind of a band box feel to it, which is great if you're the home team. Should be a madhouse in there Sunday.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2023, 05:27:44 PM »
F this thread. X should be saying Marquette is tough. Go out and kick their ass

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2023, 05:34:07 PM »
Road tripped to Cintas for MU/X game in 2019. MU won by 5. Nice smaller sized arena ( about 10, 000). Has kind of a band box feel to it, which is great if you're the home team. Should be a madhouse in there Sunday.

Like the MECCA?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2023, 05:38:22 PM »
hairy

Love it.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2023, 05:39:06 PM »
Like the MECCA?

Yes, exactly, but with modern features. A little claustrophobic, but nice.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2023, 06:04:07 PM »
MU ticket allotment sold out. MU pregame event inside the Cintas Center. Musky Scoop fans already protesting with torches and pitchforks.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2023, 06:04:45 PM »
So did Miller pick us ninth?

He meant 9th best offense in the country

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2023, 06:05:38 PM »

I am guessing students will be back for it?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2023, 08:11:25 PM »
I am guessing students will be back for it?

Most universities start class the Tuesday after MLK day. My guess is plenty of students will be in the house
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2023, 08:13:32 PM »
My guess is the ref crew working VCU/Dayton tonight might be working MU/Xavier. It’s early, but they’re letting them play so far fwiw.