Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Xavier Chicagoland game watching party?  (Read 8116 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Xavier Chicagoland game watching party?
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2023, 09:03:56 PM »
Did dry January last year after a raucous December and November. But two weeks of the flu this Christmas season made me think i didn't need it this year.

For those looking for a N/A option you can't beat Lagunitas Hop Water. I drink it even on non dry out periods. Has anyone tried any of the zero proof spirits? Curious how real they taste.

I tried Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher (I assume that's what you mean by "Hop Water") tonight - really good and a great alternative.   I tried Lagunitas IPNA - holy crap that is bad.  I am going to wash it away with a Seapine Citra IPA...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 09:11:11 PM by PointWarrior »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2023, 09:06:28 PM »

OTOH, N/A beers have come a long way in the 7 years since our last kid and are now pretty delicious.

I don't get N/A beers.  I mean, I like the taste of beer, but if it doesn't have any alcohol in it, there are other nonalcoholic beverages I like better.
Have some patience, FFS.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2023, 09:12:08 PM »
I don't get N/A beers.  I mean, I like the taste of beer, but if it doesn't have any alcohol in it, there are other nonalcoholic beverages I like better.

+1000

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2023, 09:16:03 PM »

And the chemicals it takes to delete the alcohol (or caffeine for coffee) gives me a headache. 

Facts: 40% of adults drink little (1-2 drinks a month) or no alcohol. 10% drink 90% of alcohol.  If you are in the 10%, daily abstinence is a good thing. For the rest (unless it's Lent)...dry no matta.

#moistjanuary

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2023, 09:48:58 PM »
Yo.... you made it to the big time! haha

https://www.facebook.com/events/526343229560658

Need to rename the site MUScoop Alumni Association

Not to re-hijack this thread but I hear there's a cool watch party attached to this Facebook link
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2023, 12:14:09 AM »

I tried Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher (I assume that's what you mean by "Hop Water") tonight - really good and a great alternative.   I tried Lagunitas IPNA - holy crap that is bad.  I am going to wash it away with a Seapine Citra IPA...

Same! Went to Chefs Special Cocktail Bar and they had the Hoppy Refresher. It was tasty as heck.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2023, 04:33:01 AM »
Galway

Great job getting the watch party set up. I hope the place is packed. It is events like this that will help build excitement and hopefully attract more casual fans to join in.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 06:00:12 AM by Goose »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2023, 06:39:35 AM »
I was at a bar a few years ago and was talking to the head liver doctor of the Henry Ford Medical center (hospital chain in Detroit) and he told me the magic number is 28 drinks a week. Doesn’t matter how you split them up: 4 a day, 28 on Saturday’s, etc.

Also, he said whenever you go for a doctors appointment and tell them a number they always double it in their head cuz they assume everyone is lying and giving low numbers
Bring back FFP!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2023, 06:56:17 AM »
I was at a bar a few years ago and was talking to the head liver doctor of the Henry Ford Medical center (hospital chain in Detroit) and he told me the magic number is 28 drinks a week. Doesn’t matter how you split them up: 4 a day, 28 on Saturday’s, etc.

Also, he said whenever you go for a doctors appointment and tell them a number they always double it in their head cuz they assume everyone is lying and giving low numbers

That feels incredibly high.  And very wrong.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2023, 07:01:35 AM »
Yeah 28 drinks a week sounds like a doctor trying to justify what he does on his down time. Even during the peak of the holidays last month, I didn’t have 28 drinks in a week.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2023, 07:05:04 AM »
OTOH, I have a relative that clearly is in the 10% that drinks 90%. And my guess is he is well in excess of the 28 drink figure. The guy drinks a beer after breakfast every morning and now that he’s retired just keeps it going all day. Almost every day. It’s pretty sad.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2023, 07:18:01 AM »

St paulie girl and Heineken actually make a decent NA  the busch and others are truly watered beers
don't...don't don't don't don't

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2023, 07:51:37 AM »
Avenue

Withoutbias seems like a strange handle for that poster. More times than not he likes to believe he is better or smarter than other folks.

I appreciate your post because dry January is a challenge for me and trying to tackle it. Not going to the game last night was tough, but wanted to avoid the temptation.

Same. I’m not proud of how hard of a time I’m having. But moving forward and staying committed to it.

I think it is awesome and admire that you had the discipline to skip a great game in order to honor your commitment. Hang in there!
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2023, 07:54:44 AM »
Did dry January last year after a raucous December and November. But two weeks of the flu this Christmas season made me think i didn't need it this year.

For those looking for a N/A option you can't beat Lagunitas Hop Water. I drink it even on non dry out periods. Has anyone tried any of the zero proof spirits? Curious how real they taste.

I didn’t know lagunitas had a product like that. I’ll check it out. Thanks. I’ve tried Hop Water, I think that’s the brand, and those are great.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2023, 08:00:23 AM »

That doctor must’ve been drunk when he said that number. For some actual insight by a neuroscientist at Stanford, check out Dr. Andrew Huberman’s podcast about alcohol: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/huberman-lab/id1545953110?i=1000576901433

TLDR: No amount of alcohol is “good” for you. It has substantial risks. Drink if you want, but know the risks.
We Are Marquette

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2023, 08:06:48 AM »
Avenue

Great job on your part as well. You should be proud that you are giving it your best and having success. I am not sure where you live but being a lifelong MKE resident I can attest that there are a lot of temptations. It has helped me that my wife and three sons are all doing it as well.

Keep it up, we are almost halfway home. Have to add, that bias is disrespectable poster and generally seems like an angry person. He gave me more motivation than he did offend me.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2023, 08:11:41 AM »
I guess my point is that if you can't be around alcohol without giving in to the temptation to drink alcohol for even a single night, you should probably be doing dry January, dry February, dry March, dry April, dry May, dry June, dry July, dry August, dry September, dry October, dry November, and dry December.

Or…..actively work on it and practice moderation and taking breaks. Which sometimes means making choices (I.E. avoiding tempting situations) like passing on a game.

You are right about one thing, these people should be judged. Judged positively. People making efforts to better themselves should be applauded and supported and acknowledged for their efforts.

On that note, we should all remember the Jesuit teachings at Marquette of “cura personalis.” Take care of each other and be mindful of others in our words, thoughts and actions.

Be The Difference.
We Are Marquette

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2023, 08:37:11 AM »
+1000

Moist, moister, moistest
Weekend of Feb 4 we'll have some Ponce Gold
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2023, 08:57:18 AM »
Same! Went to Chefs Special Cocktail Bar and they had the Hoppy Refresher. It was tasty as heck.

That's a spot I should've put on the Restaurant thread. Best Chinese food I've had.

Galway

Great job getting the watch party set up. I hope the place is packed. It is events like this that will help build excitement and hopefully attract more casual fans to join in.

Thanks! But the real credit goes to the guy who set up the Milwaukee one.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2023, 09:54:05 AM »
That's a spot I should've put on the Restaurant thread. Best Chinese food I've had.

Thanks! But the real credit goes to the guy who set up the Milwaukee one.

Same. That place is so good. And kitchen is open late.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2023, 10:12:49 AM »
St paulie girl and Heineken actually make a decent NA  the busch and others are truly watered beers

It's been awhile since I did the NA thing, but I remember thinking St. Pauli Girl was well above average.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2023, 10:19:32 AM »

I like the Athletic N/A IPA. It tastes like a normal IPA. I like the taste of beer, so figured this might be a healthier way to still enjoy one. I might be wrong on the health benefits based on an earlier post about the process.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2023, 10:27:11 AM »

He's right, we do lie and give low numbers.

For the rare occasions when I'm out at a bar and not drinking, I enjoy a glass of tonic with bitters and a lime.  It feels like a cocktail and tastes good.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2023, 10:32:06 AM »
I like the Athletic N/A IPA. It tastes like a normal IPA. I like the taste of beer, so figured this might be a healthier way to still enjoy one. I might be wrong on the health benefits based on an earlier post about the process.

The quality of N/A beer, wine and cocktails has improved quite a bit over the last decade.  Not my thing but there is a market for it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2023, 02:03:40 PM »
I have a relative who is trying to cut back on alcohol for health reasons but also loves the taste of beer. They enjoy Athletic's N/A options. I've had a few and have been impressed. They would never be my go to drink but if someone offered me one at a party I would take it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback