[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Xavier Football  (Read 2647 times)

Knight Commission

• All American
Xavier Football
« on: January 05, 2023, 03:08:05 PM »
Open rumor this is happening, and stadium location has been identified.  One motivator was to increase male enrollment. I was at the last game they played in 1973.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Xavier Football
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 03:09:42 PM »
They doing the non scholarship like GTown and Butler? Or they going to try to be competitive in FCS like Nova?

Also the easiest way to increase male enrollment is to advertise that there's too large of a women to men ratio
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 03:21:15 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 03:12:33 PM »
Not sure but my guess is they would go Pioneer league with Dayton Butler etc.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 03:14:42 PM »
My daughter was mentioning about the football and does not understand why as XU is too small.

XU have received two significant donations in the last 6 months to build buildings.  A $40mil gift and a $20mil gift.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 03:16:04 PM »
They doing the non scholarship like GTown and Butler? Or they going to try to be competitive in FCS like Nova and Dayton?

Also the easiest way to increase male enrollment is to advertise that there's too large of a women to men ratio

Almost every institution, especially private colleges and universities, are primarily female.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 03:19:04 PM »
My daughter was mentioning about the football and does not understand why as XU is too small.

For non-scholarship in the Pioneer League they would be fine. Smallish, but there would be a number of smaller schools.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 04:10:43 PM »
They doing the non scholarship like GTown and Butler? Or they going to try to be competitive in FCS like Nova?

Pioneer League actually is FCS.  Their champion each year gets an auto bid into the FCS playoffs.  Granted Davidson, the Pio winner the last 3 years, has lost in the first round by a combined score of 138-35 in those 3 matches, but still...

Almost every institution, especially private colleges and universities, are primarily female.

Funny enough, U of Dayton is 52-48 Male to Female.  Maybe they are believing the opposite of ABD.

But football is the absolute silliest reasoning to try and solve a supposed lack of male student problem.  Xavier is roughly 4800 undergrads.  42% male.  So 2016 male students.  50/50 would be 2400 male students.  So 90ish males to play football and then another 150+ are gonna come cause XAVIER FOOTBALL RULES?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 04:31:13 PM »
But football is the absolute silliest reasoning to try and solve a supposed lack of male student problem.  Xavier is roughly 4800 undergrads.  42% male.  So 2016 male students.  50/50 would be 2400 male students.  So 90ish males to play football and then another 150+ are gonna come cause XAVIER FOOTBALL RULES?

I don't think this was explained as well as it should have been. One of the reasons colleges at the non-scholarship levels continue to offer athletics is due to many students wanting to continue as athletes.  And *in general* men will base their college choice on athletics more than women do.

So Xavier is thinking that an 80-100 student football team is going to attract 50-70 students that likely wouldn't attend Xavier anyway.  So if you assume that the typical student is paying about $25-30,000 in tuition, room and board, that means something around $1.5 million or so in extra revenue.

They aren't thinking this is going to make the ratio 50/50.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 05:26:55 PM »

I don't think this was explained as well as it should have been. One of the reasons colleges at the non-scholarship levels continue to offer athletics is due to many students wanting to continue as athletes.  And *in general* men will base their college choice on athletics more than women do.

So Xavier is thinking that an 80-100 student football team is going to attract 50-70 students that likely wouldn't attend Xavier anyway.  So if you assume that the typical student is paying about $25-30,000 in tuition, room and board, that means something around $1.5 million or so in extra revenue.

Thats reasonable, though I think its an inefficient ROI, but its not my money.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 08:18:46 AM »

So of that additional $1.5M of revenue, maybe $750,000 is free cash flow (maybe generous). Does football only cost $750,000 per year?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 08:31:52 AM »
So of that additional $1.5M of revenue, maybe $750,000 is free cash flow (maybe generous). Does football only cost $750,000 per year?

Much less than that at the non-scholarship level.  Morehead State is the only pubic university in the Pioneer League, and their coach makes $115,000.  My guess is that any full time assistants around making mid-five figures and likely splitting jobs. (Many coaches will work as academic advisors, admissions, etc.)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 09:20:36 AM »
If True, an excellent move by X. They should have some good local rivalry games with Butler and Dayton.

Getting rid of Football was one of the three big historical blunders of MU.

If X can pull this off it could potentially start a discussion about MU getting back in the sport.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 09:21:32 AM »

Much less than that at the non-scholarship level.  Morehead State is the only pubic university in the Pioneer League, and their coach makes $115,000.  My guess is that any full time assistants around making mid-five figures and likely splitting jobs. (Many coaches will work as academic advisors, admissions, etc.)
Well then MU should consider this ASAP.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 10:34:35 AM »

That's quite an assumption that except for the actual expenses of running the team, the rest of that money is going straight to the bottom line.  I am not sure you can enroll an additional 50-70 students without incurring additional costs.
Have some patience, FFS.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2023, 10:41:04 AM »
Well....MU is 58% female and 42% male. 

Football it is!!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2023, 11:34:00 AM »
If True, an excellent move by X. They should have some good local rivalry games with Butler and Dayton.

Getting rid of Football was one of the three big historical blunders of MU.

If X can pull this off it could potentially start a discussion about MU getting back in the sport.

Dayton had 1 home game this year where the stadium was more than a quarter full.  And even then not even half full.  And thats a historically good program for the level.

Butler plays in a significantly smaller stadium and filled it more than half just once.  Most games are under a third of the stadium filled.

I think you're overestimating the "rivalry" interest in these games.  Both also play in stadiums that have been open for 70+ years.  Not sure where Xavier is going to play, maybe their 1600 seat soccer stadium?  Otherwise, unlike in Milwaukee, there are a number of places they could possibly play like Nippert Stadium or the stadium where Elder HS plays.

Marquette would need to build a stadium or play at Valley Fields, which would give the impression of nothing more than a glorified HS game, which wouldn't enthuse any casual fans.

This does NOTHING in terms of the MU football discussion.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2023, 11:41:55 AM »

Marquette would need to build a stadium or play at Valley Fields, which would give the impression of nothing more than a glorified HS game, which wouldn't enthuse any casual fans.

OR...play in the new professional futbal stadium that's in the works at 7th and Michigan.

It's all coming together.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2023, 12:20:53 PM »
Dayton had 1 home game this year where the stadium was more than a quarter full.  And even then not even half full.  And thats a historically good program for the level.

Butler plays in a significantly smaller stadium and filled it more than half just once.  Most games are under a third of the stadium filled.

I think you're overestimating the "rivalry" interest in these games.  Both also play in stadiums that have been open for 70+ years.  Not sure where Xavier is going to play, maybe their 1600 seat soccer stadium?  Otherwise, unlike in Milwaukee, there are a number of places they could possibly play like Nippert Stadium or the stadium where Elder HS plays.

This does NOTHING in terms of the MU football discussion.

Marquette could play at Lambeau
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2023, 09:47:23 AM »
I'm on the Xavier campus this weekend.

Based on stadium attendance comment for Butler and Dayton and the Georgetown football attendance photo Xavier could play at two high schools that are in almost walking distance to XU. HS stadium bleachers look almost as big as Georgetown photo.
Could possibly use U of Cincy stadium which is less than 3 miles away

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2023, 09:52:43 AM »
A new stadium site has allegedly been picked out somewhere on Montgomery Road.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 10:02:44 AM by Knight Commission »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2023, 10:00:29 AM »
I'm on the Xavier campus this weekend.

Based on stadium attendance comment for Butler and Dayton and the Georgetown football attendance photo Xavier could play at two high schools that are in almost walking distance to XU. HS stadium bleachers look almost as big as Georgetown photo.
Could possibly use U of Cincy stadium which is less than 3 miles away
Wondering what the rent would be at U of C stadium to allow Xavier to play there. Hiring of security, liability insurance, etc.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »
Well....MU is 58% female and 42% male. 

Football it is!!!

It was just the opposite in the 60s when I was at MU and it was perceived as unfair and and something had to be done to make it more equitable. Now that its flipped there is nothing to see here.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2023, 11:28:37 AM »
It was just the opposite in the 60s when I was at MU and it was perceived as unfair and and something had to be done to make it more equitable. Now that its flipped there is nothing to see here.
::)

Or it matches the National average and men aren’t being held back from going to college by society thinking their place is at home to raise a family.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2023, 11:33:19 AM »
A new stadium site has allegedly been picked out somewhere on Montgomery Road.

They’re gonna build a stadium for this?! Sheesh

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2023, 11:56:14 AM »
::)

Or it matches the National average and men aren’t being held back from going to college by society thinking their place is at home to raise a family.

Actually it just may be that men see better opportunities getting high paying jobs (HVAC, Welders, Plumbers, Electricians) without incurring high college debt for an over priced BS/BA.