[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fun quotient  (Read 14551 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Fun quotient
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2023, 08:55:26 AM »
Easier to build a basketball team. 5 playas vs 22, aina?

In pure, quantitative terms sure.  But in qualitative terms no way.  When one of the five has to be a legit super-star, and one or two of the others has to be All Star caliber, it is a lot harder. Especially these days when you are drafting very young players and projecting where they are going to be in four or five years when they hit the beginning of their peak.

NFL teams are usually made up of a handful of very good players, a bunch of good players, and the rest is all replacement level. A decent GM armed with draft picks can build a roster that competes immediately in a relatively short period of time.  This year is a great example of that.  Five of the top six seeds in the NFC did not make the playoffs two seasons ago (Eagles, Niners, Vikings, Cowboys, Giants). It could be six out of seven if the Lions get in today. In the AFC, you have three (Bengals, Jaguars, Chargers) and likely four (Patriots or Dolphins) in the same boat.

Tell me when something like that has ever happened in the NBA.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:08:24 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2023, 09:04:35 AM »
Was going to post this in the Tyler Kolek assist thread but that has inevitably degenerated into a pissing match about the announcers.  So I thought I’d post it here as it is pretty fun. Shaka has these guys fully bought into what he is selling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BKUadsBeZZc

Very impressive post-game presser for Kolek. He sounds like a coach, except for fewer cliche answers than the typical coach. I'm not sure if he's ever been asked if he'd want to coach one day, but I'd be interested in his answer.

I thought Ben Steele was the only person in the room until the other guy asked a question. TK is highly intelligent with thoughtful answers.

This often happens in situations in which a major-college or pro team is covered by only one large publication. Ben does a nice job and we Marquette fans are lucky he's on the beat; he asked some good questions and was rewarded with good answers from Kolek.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2023, 09:05:03 AM »
Trade Giannis
I mean trading Lew worked out for the Bucks...
Goal is National Championship

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2023, 09:08:21 AM »
Was going to post this in the Tyler Kolek assist thread but that has inevitably degenerated into a pissing match about the announcers.  So I thought I’d post it here as it is pretty fun. Shaka has these guys fully bought into what he is selling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BKUadsBeZZc

TK already sounds like a coach.  There’s no doubt that he will be a head coach some day when he’s done playing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2023, 09:22:04 AM »
TK already sounds like a coach.  There’s no doubt that he will be a head coach some day when he’s done playing.

Gym rat
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2023, 09:25:17 AM »
bias

Why rocket knows ball is because he was not on here bitching about the Chicago State game or crying over the Badger loss. The number of scoopers that micromanage the progress is amazing. The excitement over the program is real, but there are many that will be ready to micromanage a slump and compare the slump to past seasons. This program is in the best hands since the Al era, IMO.

Shaka is building a program that the team does expect to win and the fans are starting to get it. Equally as important, the fans that know ball are starting to understand what the program is all about. Knowing you can play very good defense and the opponent scoring a crazy end of shot clock basket is part of understanding the game. Knowing that you can shoot 2-14 from the three in a half and you still got 14 open three looks. This is understanding the game, the identity of the program and supporting it.

For most of the post Al era many fans have chosen an underdog player to back because they felt it that player evolved it would make them look smart. The program has had more underdog players than dudes for nearly fifty years and that it why there has been hit or miss success. I don't want to pull for an underdog just to have a chance at looking smart. I want to back a program that might have an underdog or two players, but they play a role in a system.

IMO, many MU fans have accepted being mediocre and hoping for a miracle. Shaka has changed that narrative and hopefully the mopes follow. My guess is there will always be mopes out there hoping that their Theo John, Trevor Powell, Joe Nathan, Greg Elliott or pick a name will be SOTG on scoop and can say look at my guy. For me, I want a program that expects to win, not hopes to win.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2023, 09:44:16 AM »
Goose, I'm expecting a Warrior victory on Wednesday, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2023, 09:46:32 AM »

That Golden Break Podcast with Tyler was a great listen.  Surprised that topic didn't get more commentary.  Here is a link to that Podcast for those who may have missed the topic:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2Cbpf7cFY9o08yy22aY16I?si=82dbb3951a0d42b6

Goose

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2023, 09:54:15 AM »
Doc,

Are you pulling for Keeyan to be the SOTG or just going to be happy with a win?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2023, 09:55:14 AM »
 W is all that mattas. Oh, and a rankin' in the Top 25 in January, hey?

Kolek 'em
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:58:57 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2023, 10:04:57 AM »
Ive been pretty direct in my other posts in the next 5 game threads. Most people wont agree with what I'm about to say but I fully believe in this time.

This team has a great shot to be a final four team. I wouldn't guarantee it but I think when the regular season is over anything short of an elite 8 would be disappointing. Imo this team is the best team in the Big East and we should be 6-0 in conference if not for a meltdown up 10 in the final 4 minutes at providence. In the end I do believe we will win the Big East Conference.

Again, this is not your Steve Wojo coached team that we have our guard up for because of the previous 7 years. This team has top 10 talent, snipers from 3 and recruits that otherwise would be at Texas right now at a top 5 program. The lack of an inside presence is concerning but guard play should be able to make up for that. The next 3 games will go pretty far in seeing whether or not I am right. I believe we go 2-1 losing to Xavier by a small margin but wouldn't be shocked if we won.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 10:08:21 AM by HowardsWorld »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2023, 10:09:14 AM »
Sorry, but there is no way I would label a mere Sweet 16 appearance from this team a disappointment. I think that is wildly optimistic. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2023, 10:12:01 AM »
If this team made it to the S16 I would be doing cartwheels down Wisconsin Ave..

connie

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2023, 10:16:22 AM »
Ive been pretty direct in my other posts in the next 5 game threads. Most people wont agree with what I'm about to say but I fully believe in this time.

This team has a great shot to be a final four team. I wouldn't guarantee it but I think when the regular season is over anything short of an elite 8 would be disappointing. Imo this team is the best team in the Big East and we should be 6-0 in conference if not for a meltdown up 10 in the final 4 minutes at providence. In the end I do believe we will win the Big East Conference.

Again, this is not your Steve Wojo coached team that we have our guard up for because of the previous 7 years. This team has top 10 talent, snipers from 3 and recruits that otherwise would be at Texas right now at a top 5 program. The lack of an inside presence is concerning but guard play should be able to make up for that. The next 3 games will go pretty far in seeing whether or not I am right. I believe we go 2-1 losing to Xavier by a small margin but wouldn't be shocked if we won.
I do not agree with you, but I am going to sit back and enjoy the optimism.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2023, 10:21:08 AM »
If this team made it to the S16 I would be doing cartwheels down Wisconsin Ave..

Make sure you are current with your medical insurance first. Probably life insurance too if you are going to do this in traffic.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2023, 10:26:33 AM »
Snoop

Sadly, this body was not capable of cartwheels 45 years ago and definitely not in its current state.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2023, 10:28:59 AM »
Snoop

Sadly, this body was not capable of cartwheels 45 years ago and definitely not in its current state.

You saying you should change your name to Moose?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2023, 10:31:44 AM »
Pretty sure we can all streak freewilly down the Ave. to Lake Michigan, doe, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2023, 10:32:17 AM »
Pretty sure we can all streak freewilly down the Ave. to Lake Michigan, doe, aina?

Please don't.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2023, 10:36:30 AM »

it is nice to be so optimist before the next three games.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2023, 10:36:47 AM »
Goose - the Badger loss was a bad loss....  :P

bias

Why rocket knows ball is because he was not on here bitching about the Chicago State game or crying over the Badger loss. The number of scoopers that micromanage the progress is amazing. The excitement over the program is real, but there are many that will be ready to micromanage a slump and compare the slump to past seasons. This program is in the best hands since the Al era, IMO.

Shaka is building a program that the team does expect to win and the fans are starting to get it. Equally as important, the fans that know ball are starting to understand what the program is all about. Knowing you can play very good defense and the opponent scoring a crazy end of shot clock basket is part of understanding the game. Knowing that you can shoot 2-14 from the three in a half and you still got 14 open three looks. This is understanding the game, the identity of the program and supporting it.

For most of the post Al era many fans have chosen an underdog player to back because they felt it that player evolved it would make them look smart. The program has had more underdog players than dudes for nearly fifty years and that it why there has been hit or miss success. I don't want to pull for an underdog just to have a chance at looking smart. I want to back a program that might have an underdog or two players, but they play a role in a system.

IMO, many MU fans have accepted being mediocre and hoping for a miracle. Shaka has changed that narrative and hopefully the mopes follow. My guess is there will always be mopes out there hoping that their Theo John, Trevor Powell, Joe Nathan, Greg Elliott or pick a name will be SOTG on scoop and can say look at my guy. For me, I want a program that expects to win, not hopes to win.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2023, 10:45:35 AM »
That Golden Break Podcast with Tyler was a great listen.  Surprised that topic didn't get more commentary.  Here is a link to that Podcast for those who may have missed the topic:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2Cbpf7cFY9o08yy22aY16I?si=82dbb3951a0d42b6

This was super….. thanks for the reminder!  Kolek was a genuine find!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2023, 10:53:32 AM »
Would be elated with a S16. My worry with this group is if there's a game where they're not forcing turnovers. That has covered up a lot on the defensive end.

That said I couldn't be happier with where they're at now, and the trajectory they're on.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2023, 11:03:11 AM »
Goose - the Badger loss was a bad loss....  :P
Just some free advice, so do what you want with it. Try not to focus on one loss, this team has bigger fish to fry.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »
When it’s all said and done, Wisconsin will be as close to a “bad” loss as this team will have this season. They’re not good.