[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2024  (Read 49232 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Golf 2023
« Reply #825 on: October 14, 2023, 07:36:45 PM »
Did Brooks comment on the Saudi support for Hamas?

Said he was a Democrat so he also blamed the Israelis.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #826 on: October 14, 2023, 07:45:08 PM »
Said he was a Democrat so he also blamed the Israelis.

Wow.  Thought he’d give unwavering support like the current administration
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #827 on: October 14, 2023, 09:45:47 PM »
Wow.  Thought he’d give unwavering support like the current administration

Good one. Love your shtick.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #828 on: October 14, 2023, 09:47:23 PM »
Got a round of golf in at Nicklaus course in Delhi, India yesterday. Drove 1.5 hours on rough roads and poverty to arrive at the club, and it looked like Palm Springs. Really is a tale of two worlds in India.

Course was decent and pretty good condition. Only people playing was about 4-5 foursomes of Koreans. They definitely take the game very seriously.

Wish I could say that played well, but funky grass and rental clubs made for a long day. Giving my caddie a big tip was the highlight of the day.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 02:03:03 AM by Goose »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #829 on: October 15, 2023, 07:29:14 AM »
Got a round of golf in at Nicklaus course in Delhi, India yesterday. Drove 1.5 hours on rough roads and poverty to arrive at the club, and it looked like Palm Springs. Really is a tale of two worlds in India.

Course was decent and pretty good condition. Only people playing was about 4-5 foursomes of Koreans. They definitely take the game very seriously.

Wish I could say that played well, but funky grass and rental clubs made for a long day. Giving my caddie a big tip was the highlight of the day.

What are your thoughts on Nicklaus courses?  Not a fan personally of his courses

tower912

• All American
« Reply #830 on: October 15, 2023, 07:47:43 AM »
His work has evolved.    I have played three of his courses on the west side of Michigan.   The Bear in Traverse City was built in his 80's phase of building courses that only he could play.   They played the Michigan PGA there for years and have as many scores around 90 as they did near par.  It has been softened over the years.
     Harbor Shores near Benton Harbor is actually one of the coolest brownfield reclamation stories ever.    Unwalkable because it is built in sections.   Not that hard from tee to green.    The green complexes are the main defense.  Number 10 is the most insane green I have ever seen.   And the wind off the lake.
    American Dunes has a great back story.   Look it up.    From an architecture standpoint, he took an existing course, bulldozed it, and started over. Removed 3000 trees from what had been one of the tightest courses in the state in order to expose the dunes.    There is one hole listed as a par 4 that you need to play as a par 5.   Other than that, manage your tee ball and enjoy the dunes.   The green complexes are less severe than Harbor Shores, built 15 years earlier 50 miles away.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 07:49:26 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #831 on: October 15, 2023, 08:39:10 AM »
His work has evolved.    I have played three of his courses on the west side of Michigan.   The Bear in Traverse City was built in his 80's phase of building courses that only he could play.   They played the Michigan PGA there for years and have as many scores around 90 as they did near par.  It has been softened over the years.
     Harbor Shores near Benton Harbor is actually one of the coolest brownfield reclamation stories ever.    Unwalkable because it is built in sections.   Not that hard from tee to green.    The green complexes are the main defense.  Number 10 is the most insane green I have ever seen.   And the wind off the lake.
    American Dunes has a great back story.   Look it up.    From an architecture standpoint, he took an existing course, bulldozed it, and started over. Removed 3000 trees from what had been one of the tightest courses in the state in order to expose the dunes.    There is one hole listed as a par 4 that you need to play as a par 5.   Other than that, manage your tee ball and enjoy the dunes.   The green complexes are less severe than Harbor Shores, built 15 years earlier 50 miles away.

The Bull in Wisconsin is a terrible course that coasts on his name and the price point.  There are so many options in this state for championship style courses, I’d put the Bull way down the list of courses to play. So many of his courses are built with his game in mind than a pure playability for all types of players. 

I have heard nothing but good things about the Michigan courses, though

tower912

• All American
« Reply #832 on: October 15, 2023, 09:20:12 AM »
When was The Bull built?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #833 on: October 15, 2023, 09:33:59 AM »
When was The Bull built?

Right down the road is a Palmer course, the Bog.  It’s a bad course, too

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #834 on: October 15, 2023, 10:39:32 AM »
In the early days, the clients requested that Jack design difficult courses . Some with hopes of attracting a professional tournament . The Bear was a classic example. So was The Club at Wynstone in North Barrington, IL  An impossible course at the time for the club  members .

As time went by, the clients developing  golf course communities realized that hard courses were driving away business. A modern flexible design was then adapted  y the Nicklaus design company.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 11:46:34 AM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #835 on: October 15, 2023, 11:37:17 AM »

The two Palmer courses on this side of the state are The Ravines near Saugatuck and Manitou Passage (formerly King's Crossing) on the Leelanau peninsula.   Radically different courses due to topography.    Both seem to have the ethos of playable for the casual golfer, challenging for a stick trying to post a score from the tips.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #836 on: October 15, 2023, 11:39:06 AM »
The two Palmer courses on this side of the state are The Ravines near Saugatuck and Manitou Passage (formerly King's Crossing) on the Leelanau peninsula.   Radically different courses due to topography.    Both seem to have the ethos of playable for the casual golfer, challenging for a stick trying to post a score from the tips.

Palmer has another course in Lake Geneva.  More playable but the greens are bad.  That’s probably on course maintenance, though

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #837 on: October 15, 2023, 11:46:23 AM »

Man, the Bog STINKS. I’m always amazed when people in SE WI were amped to play there, if it a first timer

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #838 on: October 15, 2023, 12:40:29 PM »
First time I heard anybody say something good about Harbor Shores. Universally panned by our group of not very good golfers.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #839 on: October 15, 2023, 12:44:55 PM »
Man, the Bog STINKS. I’m always amazed when people in SE WI were amped to play there, if it a first timer

There’s a few good holes on it but generally, it’s not good.  Save a few bucks and play Washington County

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #840 on: October 15, 2023, 12:48:58 PM »
There’s a few good holes on it but generally, it’s not good.  Save a few bucks and play Washington County

The most underrated course in the area for a good 20 years at least

🏀

• All American
« Reply #841 on: October 15, 2023, 05:24:34 PM »

Played King’s Crossing a lot back in the day when I was a junior golfer. Had a family house on Little Traverse. Our lake neighbor would come with, he always promised to take me to his course down the lakeshore when I got to high school.

He died when I was in 8th grade unfortunately. It wasn’t until 6-7 years ago I realized he was talking about Crystal Downs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #842 on: October 15, 2023, 05:43:26 PM »
I had an in at Crystal Downs for about a year.    Co-worker's bil was a greenskeeper there.   Just trying to sync the schedule.

Then.......divorce.      Noooooooooooo!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #843 on: October 16, 2023, 05:32:58 AM »
I had an in at Crystal Downs for about a year.    Co-worker's bil was a greenskeeper there.   Just trying to sync the schedule.

Then.......divorce.      Noooooooooooo!

Ugh.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #844 on: October 16, 2023, 06:22:30 AM »
First time I heard anybody say something good about Harbor Shores. Universally panned by our group of not very good golfers.
Too hard?   Too easy?  Too gimmicky?  Poor conditioning?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #845 on: October 17, 2023, 04:32:02 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #846 on: October 17, 2023, 09:34:54 PM »
RIP Ivor Robeson, the voice of the Open

https://x.com/theopen/status/1714197969681981688?s=46&t=QSiaGcOIKZrrpw0ciZkI5Q
A high class individual. Always looked forward to hearing his announcements .
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #847 on: October 22, 2023, 07:15:48 PM »
Talor Gooch, the hottest LIV golfer playing at in the LIV event at Doral in front of the same size crowds I play in front of.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #848 on: October 22, 2023, 07:24:20 PM »
Talor Gooch, the hottest LIV golfer playing at in the LIV event at Doral in front of the same size crowds I play in front of.

Very disappointing the front runner for the Republican Party presidential race is hosting a Saudi sponsored sporting event when they have publicly blamed Israel for what happened on October 7th and aren’t supporting their activities in Gaza.  Actions speak louder than words.

Guess some people would rather line their pocketbooks instead of doing the right thing
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 07:25:54 PM by Uncle Rico »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #849 on: October 22, 2023, 07:55:08 PM »
Bryson Dechambeau  team won the team championship. Pocketed $14 million

I think next year no events will be held at Trump Courses and more international where the interest level is strong
            ---Al McGuire