[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2024  (Read 47741 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Golf 2023
« Reply #550 on: June 08, 2023, 07:38:21 AM »
Yes, Jack Nicklaus has put his entire golf career on the line.

Of all the idiotic, stupid, asinine things you’ve typed on this board, this might be your Mona Lisa.  Good lord

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=63934.msg1555383#msg1555383
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #551 on: June 08, 2023, 07:42:35 AM »
Interesting read about Saudi finances.  A lot to digest but a different perspective

https://chiefexecutive.net/the-rest-of-the-story-the-overlooked-saudi-sand-trap-behind-the-golf-treaty/
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #552 on: June 08, 2023, 08:58:35 AM »
Yes, Jack Nicklaus has put his entire golf career on the line.

Of all the idiotic, stupid, asinine things you’ve typed on this board, this might be your Mona Lisa.  Good lord

keep forgetting, reeko is the bellwether of the board.  pass everything thru him and is it Good lord or good Lord or Good Lord?  regardless, you ain't all you think you is dude
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #553 on: June 08, 2023, 09:00:18 AM »
  keep forgetting, reeko is the bellwether of the board.  pass everything thru him and is it Good lord or good Lord or Good Lord?  regardless, you ain't all you think you is dude

Actually, I am

tower912

• All American
« Reply #554 on: June 08, 2023, 09:02:11 AM »
I'm a little jealous.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #555 on: June 08, 2023, 09:57:40 AM »
rocket

Jack was my golfing idol growing up and I love/loved everything about his golfing career. To be honest, his statement on the merger the other day pissed me off. Only a week ago he was chirping about not caring the Liv guys were not in Dublin and for the most part he had written them off as not being PGA players any longer. Of all that has happened this week in golf the statement by Jack was the most disappointing to me.

I remember when Jack came to the GMO in the 1980's (left with a nice check from Jane Pettit) and I watched him play every hole over the weekend. I drove 100's of miles to watch him play in US Open in Chicago, at Arnie's tournament and elsewhere because I thought he changed the game. As I sit here today, I will say my opinion of Jack slipped this week and that disappoints me.

Again, I am an old school golf guy and love the history and tradition of the sport far more than I care about how much money these guys get paid. IMO, the world of professional golf will never be the same and I think that sucks. I realize I very likely in the minority on two points, #1 I do not care where the Liv money came from and #2 I think Liv is great for the players and bad for folks that love the history and tradition of the game.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #556 on: June 08, 2023, 10:18:26 AM »
rocket

Jack was my golfing idol growing up and I love/loved everything about his golfing career. To be honest, his statement on the merger the other day pissed me off. Only a week ago he was chirping about not caring the Liv guys were not in Dublin and for the most part he had written them off as not being PGA players any longer. Of all that has happened this week in golf the statement by Jack was the most disappointing to me.

I remember when Jack came to the GMO in the 1980's (left with a nice check from Jane Pettit) and I watched him play every hole over the weekend. I drove 100's of miles to watch him play in US Open in Chicago, at Arnie's tournament and elsewhere because I thought he changed the game. As I sit here today, I will say my opinion of Jack slipped this week and that disappoints me.

Again, I am an old school golf guy and love the history and tradition of the sport far more than I care about how much money these guys get paid. IMO, the world of professional golf will never be the same and I think that sucks. I realize I very likely in the minority on two points, #1 I do not care where the Liv money came from and #2 I think Liv is great for the players and bad for folks that love the history and tradition of the game.

If Arnie were still here…

Goose

• All American
« Reply #557 on: June 08, 2023, 10:30:34 AM »
Rico

If Arnie was still here and said what Jack said I probably would be closer to buyer of the idea. I'll take Arnie the businessman over Jack seven days week. Plus, every time I saw Arnie tear up talking about what golf meant to him was a big influence in my golfing life.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #558 on: June 08, 2023, 11:00:43 AM »
Rico

If Arnie was still here and said what Jack said I probably would be closer to buyer of the idea. I'll take Arnie the businessman over Jack seven days week. Plus, every time I saw Arnie tear up talking about what golf meant to him was a big influence in my golfing life.

A big reason this started gathering steam a few years back was the lack of Arnie.  Arnie had warts but I believed him being a steward of the game.  His voice carried a lot of weight.

I think that could have been Tom Watson or Ben Crenshaw’s role to inherit had they chosen to.  Crenshaw and his role at Augusta and golf course design have a lot of respect and ears.  Watson was done after FIGJAM drove the bus over him in 2014.

Jack has always been about Jack and that’s part of what made him great but he’s always chased the dollar bills.  He’d have taken an active role in LIV had he not been talked out of it.  His place in golf is secure and will always be admired as a player.  His charitable work is second to none as well, but I think most inside the game realize Jack was no Arnie

Goose

• All American
« Reply #559 on: June 08, 2023, 11:09:43 AM »
Rico

No doubt Arnie had plenty of warts, but it sure seemed he tried his best to give back to the game until the day he died. there has been a big void on top since Arnie went off the air and this is why Liv came to life.

I miss Arnie. I just watched the other day the last time he was interviewed at St. Andrews and I always love seeing that video. I also drove, and flew, many times to see Arnie in person and loved every minute of it. Shook his hands maybe ten times and remember him kissing my Mom at the airport in Palm Springs. He was one cool dude.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #560 on: June 08, 2023, 11:50:57 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #561 on: June 08, 2023, 01:17:03 PM »
More interesting reading

https://www.thebignewsletter.com/p/the-saudi-pga-golf-deal-isnt-going?utm_medium=email

Ever since a few details started to emerge about the merger, I also have wondered if regulators would gonna let one monopoly be replaced by an even larger one -- one funded by a foreign country interested mainly in sportswashing. It will be interesting to see what happens.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #562 on: June 08, 2023, 01:58:50 PM »
Ever since a few details started to emerge about the merger, I also have wondered if regulators would gonna let one monopoly be replaced by an even larger one -- one funded by a foreign country interested mainly in sportswashing. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Do you trust the attorneys and investment bankers LIV and the PGA can afford or The Big Newsletter?

My heart says The Big Newsletter; my head, not so much.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #563 on: June 08, 2023, 02:09:45 PM »
Do you trust the attorneys and investment bankers LIV and the PGA can afford or The Big Newsletter?

Given the past two years and the haphazard way golf has been run professionally, asking how well thought out this is, is a fair question. 

Given how the rollout has gone, yes, I have my doubts

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #564 on: June 08, 2023, 02:37:07 PM »

Given the ridiculous amount of lobbying the Saudis have done in the last decade? I'm gonna go ahead and say the DOJ will let this one slide

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #565 on: June 08, 2023, 02:41:56 PM »
This deal is unwinding the present restraint of trade that the PGA Tour has fully imposed on its players . So now players can play on any tour they qualify for .

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #566 on: June 08, 2023, 03:04:05 PM »
Jack’s a respected golf authority?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #567 on: June 08, 2023, 03:28:44 PM »
This deal is unwinding the present restraint of trade that the PGA Tour has fully imposed on its players . So now players can play on any tour they qualify for .

Lol

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #568 on: June 08, 2023, 05:04:45 PM »
Greg Norman apparently stated: "LIV isn't going anywhere."  LOL.  Was this quote a year ago or today?  Norman was played like a violin.  He reminds me of Carlo in the Godfather.  He's probably checking to see if Clemenza is in the back seat of his car. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #570 on: June 09, 2023, 06:51:21 AM »
rocket

great stuff goose!  let's go hit the mashie and have a slab of meat!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #571 on: June 10, 2023, 04:06:13 PM »
Raucous crowd at the RBC Canadian Open. Rory having a good round . Rory trying for a Canadian three peat
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 04:11:44 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #572 on: June 10, 2023, 05:30:29 PM »
Monahan saying that the lawsuits were bleeding the tour dry.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #573 on: June 10, 2023, 05:36:03 PM »
Monahan saying that the lawsuits were bleeding the tour dry.

Sort of believe that.  Think that’s an excuse to a certain degree.

Also know Saudi’s didn’t want to have to go under oath.  Know Kushner family didn’t want a look at the books.

Lot of parties terrified

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #574 on: June 10, 2023, 09:07:50 PM »
After some research, my early analysis is that PIF realized LIV had no chance of ever making a profit. This deal is a way to stop the bleeding after this season. PIF saves face by getting Chairmanship of a Board controlled by PGA Tour

No actual money is changing hands . PGA Tour is valued and what ever properties PIF has are valued . LIV probably worth nothing and their Asian Tour events worth very little . Monahan and non defecting players get equity in new venture. LIV is eliminated . LIV golfers come back with tail between legs paying fines and being treated like Germans after World War I. Norman becomes Persona Non Grata

PIF may or may not put new capital in the venture.

DOJ will investigate . PGA Tour Charity beneficiaries will lobby heavily for the deal. PIF may have to put capital in LPGA Tour as a political fig leaf
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback