[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Dom Perignon or Cristal  (Read 4130 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Dom Perignon or Cristal
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2022, 04:26:23 PM »
Or people like what they like…

When I was in school and interviewing some of the places took me to some pretty nice dinners. One was with a guy who was really into wine and could afford to buy whatever he wanted. He definitely seemed like he had all the makings of a real wine snob. I asked him what was good. I'll always remember -- and appreciate -- his answer: "The best wine is the wine you like." Words to live by.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2022, 04:30:58 PM »
When I was in school and interviewing some of the places took me to some pretty nice dinners. One was with a guy who was really into wine and could afford to buy whatever he wanted. He definitely seemed like he had all the makings of a real wine snob. I asked him what was good. I'll always remember -- and appreciate -- his answer: "The best wine is the wine you like." Words to live by.

Larry Bell told me something similar regarding beer years ago when I was in college and definitely not into good beer yet.
Maigh Eo for Sam

panda

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2022, 05:07:35 PM »
Larry Bell told me something similar regarding beer years ago when I was in college and definitely not into good beer yet.

Sage advice. Glad to see you carry those words with you even to this day.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2022, 05:57:08 PM »
So true Sultan. My mother in law, who can afford to drink anything in the world, prefers Sutter Home white zin.  ::)

How many daughters she got tho??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2022, 07:21:23 PM »
Solved.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2022, 09:13:15 PM »
My mom is turning 65 so I thought I'd step it up a bit.  Maybe I'll opt for a good Cab or something.  I dunno.

This is going to sound a little judgmental, but are you gifting your mom booze, or going to take some to share with her on her birthday celebration?

Sure, I've gifted good beer/wine/liquor to friends before, but with family I would always try to do something a little more personal.  For family, I always take good drinks to gatherings in hopes we share, and leave it behind if we don't. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2022, 09:51:23 PM »
This is going to sound a little judgmental, but are you gifting your mom booze, or going to take some to share with her on her birthday celebration?

Sure, I've gifted good beer/wine/liquor to friends before, but with family I would always try to do something a little more personal.  For family, I always take good drinks to gatherings in hopes we share, and leave it behind if we don't.

My sister and I are cooking dinner for her and my Aunt and Uncle so we would all share the wine. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2022, 09:56:23 PM »
My sister and I are cooking dinner for her and my Aunt and Uncle so we would all share the wine.

Ah, well then I'll echo what others have said - take a bottle or two* of what you like (or what a good store associate recommends based on the dinner plans), and have a ball!

* especially with 5-6 people drinking!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 10:01:43 PM by rocky_warrior »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2022, 10:08:25 PM »
Ah, well then I'll echo what others have said - take a bottle or two* of what you like (or what a good store associate recommends based on the dinner plans), and have a ball!

* especially with 5-6 people drinking!

Ty Rocky.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2022, 10:16:22 PM »
Sure I have a wine fridge filled with a ton of > 4 star wines but because I don't jizz my pants for overpriced Napa crap and would rather get a great brunello or Sangiovese then I must not know wine. But I'm sure your tour guide from that drunken weekend in Napa was totally impartial when they sold you on overpriced crap.

The majority of cabs found around me come from cali. Cali wines are overly sweet and oaky with like no other notes. Is this true across the board? Nope. Is it true enough that I'm more likely to enjoy a random glass from France or Italy than a glass of the Napa cab? Most definitely. They're also too high in alcohol relative to such a simple wine.

Yes I've been lucky to find some French cabs that are much better but in my experience mostly are going to be high alcohol sugar bombs from cali.

Did you row down The Seine in this douche canoe?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2022, 06:23:02 AM »
Half the worlds rojo consumption is in PR.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 07:28:40 AM by real chili 83 »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2022, 08:37:11 AM »
I agree with and will expand upon the previous recommendation.  This takes some preparation.  Know a little about what you like... dry, sorta sweet, red, white, bold, light, tannic, etc.  Then go to a good wine shop and ask their advice and buy 5 bottles.  Take them home and drink them.  (Try not to do all 5 in one night).  Find what you like the most. Make some notes in your own words.  'Tastes like goat piss with a hint of gunpowder... never buy again!' for example...  When you find something you like,  make that your go-to for this type of situation.

This process can be repeated ad-infinitum to the great joy of the wine shop owner and the sampler. 

Alternatively, I had a very nice 2022 PBR last night...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2022, 10:45:53 AM »
Half the worlds rojo consumption is in PR.

Yep. Seems to be concentrated in the West Coast PR and Ponce area.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1999-09-12-9909100403-story.html

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2022, 03:20:00 PM »
In lieu of bubbly, I Bought a really nice Barolo for some friends recently, and I’ve enjoyed Paraduxx from Duckhorn a time or two in the recent past.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2022, 09:51:58 PM »
Cook's extra dry.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2022, 05:12:49 AM »
Cook's extra dry.

Now that’s overpriced
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2022, 03:45:51 PM »
I agree with and will expand upon the previous recommendation.  This takes some preparation.  Know a little about what you like... dry, sorta sweet, red, white, bold, light, tannic, etc.  Then go to a good wine shop and ask their advice and buy 5 bottles.  Take them home and drink them.  (Try not to do all 5 in one night).  Find what you like the most. Make some notes in your own words.  'Tastes like goat piss with a hint of gunpowder... never buy again!' for example...  When you find something you like,  make that your go-to for this type of situation.

I like the Vivino app for this. Snap a picture, it identifies the wine, I add a rating and some brief notes that are entirely unhelpful to any other user. Helps me remember what to buy again (or not) or to guide the owner of my local wine shop in suggesting new ones.

Also if you're looking to get into wine, it can help you learn more about wine by looking at others' reviews while you drink.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2022, 04:44:16 PM »
Vivino is great. Anything over 4* should be a solid choice.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2022, 01:38:21 AM »
I like the Vivino app for this. Snap a picture, it identifies the wine, I add a rating and some brief notes that are entirely unhelpful to any other user. Helps me remember what to buy again (or not) or to guide the owner of my local wine shop in suggesting new ones.

Also if you're looking to get into wine, it can help you learn more about wine by looking at others' reviews while you drink.

After years of keeping a spreadsheet I now also use Vivino.  If you see any reviews referring to goat's piss, they are probably mine.  I always put one simple phrase in my review... either "buy again" or "do not buy again".  Also I have a category of "good wines for finishing the night" which means they are cheap but very drinkable for those evenings when quality is overcome by quantity. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »
After years of keeping a spreadsheet I now also use Vivino.  If you see any reviews referring to goat's piss, they are probably mine.  I always put one simple phrase in my review... either "buy again" or "do not buy again".  Also I have a category of "good wines for finishing the night" which means they are cheap but very drinkable for those evenings when quality is overcome by quantity.

Vivino is fantastic. Wife and I's system is 4.5-5 means go out of the way to search for said bottle. 4-4.5 would definitely buy again. 3.5-4 wouldn't thumb our nose at or would get if we're on a budget. Below that we pawn it off on her siblings.
Maigh Eo for Sam

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2022, 10:47:40 PM »
Champagne Gosset is outstanding for the $$.   It's not something every place has so it may take a few calls to identify a wine shop that carries it, but it's not so uncommon that you won't be able to find it anywhere.   It generally runs $55-60 which is a helluva lot less than Dom or Krug or Cristal and their ilk.

Porky is a big fan of single vineyard grower producer champagnes.  They're generally a great value but somewhat more difficult to find.   Porky's local purveyor recently started carrying GAMET, which Porky has tried a few times, both white and rose.   Their Rose Champagne in particular was very unique.  Grab it if you can find it!

https://www.eater.com/wine/22263123/best-champagne-is-grower-champagne-bottle-to-buy-bubbly

https://www.champagne-gamet.com/

Of the big houses, Porky Prefers Pol Roger.  Happy New Year Scoopers!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2023, 09:54:13 AM »
Sooooo Mugster, what did you end up going with?????

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2023, 11:57:27 AM »
Sooooo Mugster, what did you end up going with?????

We went with two mid priced Bordeaux's (thx scoopers for the tips):

Siran Margaux and Bonalague Pomerol. 

But in case I or my uncle don't like them I also snagged two large bottles of premier Belgian beer.  :)  All together it was significantly less than a bottle of Dom or Cristal.  :)  Assuming my sister allows me to do all of the cooking my mom should be happy.  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 12:01:20 PM by MuggsyB »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2023, 12:11:27 PM »
Enjoy the Stella!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2023, 12:35:45 PM »
Enjoy the Stella!!

LOL.