[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Dom Perignon or Cristal  (Read 4251 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Dom Perignon or Cristal
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2022, 12:42:25 PM »
Okay....what should I do?  Bordeaux?  I just drink good beer Galway.

Bordeaux would be fine as long as you get a good vintage.

Cabs are not overrated.  Over priced?  Sure, but so is Bordeaux
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2022, 12:43:19 PM »
Moët and Chandon is the highest id go for champagne.

That’s too high in price now, too.  I’d rather drink a domestic sparkler than overpay for Moët

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2022, 01:02:54 PM »
Nothing says I don’t know wine like saying cab sauv stinks.

Sure I have a wine fridge filled with a ton of > 4 star wines but because I don't jizz my pants for overpriced Napa crap and would rather get a great brunello or Sangiovese then I must not know wine. But I'm sure your tour guide from that drunken weekend in Napa was totally impartial when they sold you on overpriced crap.

The majority of cabs found around me come from cali. Cali wines are overly sweet and oaky with like no other notes. Is this true across the board? Nope. Is it true enough that I'm more likely to enjoy a random glass from France or Italy than a glass of the Napa cab? Most definitely. They're also too high in alcohol relative to such a simple wine.

Yes I've been lucky to find some French cabs that are much better but in my experience mostly are going to be high alcohol sugar bombs from cali.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 01:13:10 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2022, 01:14:08 PM »
Sure I have a wine fridge filled with a ton of > 4 star wines but because I don't jizz my pants for overpriced Napa crap and would rather get a great brunello or Sangiovese then I must not know wine. But I'm sure your tour guide from that drunken weekend in Napa was totally impartial when they sold you on overpriced crap.

The majority of cabs found around me come from cali. Cali wines are overly sweet and oaky with like no other notes. Is this true across the board? Nope. Is it true enough that I'm more likely to enjoy a random glass from France or Italy than a glass of the Napa cab? Most definitely. They're also too high in alcohol relative to such a simple wine.

Yes I've been lucky to find some French cabs that are much better but in my experience mostly are going to be high alcohol sugar bombs from cali.

Eh

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2022, 01:19:50 PM »

::) ::) ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2022, 01:24:16 PM »
Bordeaux would be fine as long as you get a good vintage.

Cabs are not overrated.  Over priced?  Sure, but so is Bordeaux

Do you know anything about Lynch Bages? 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 01:32:25 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2022, 01:33:21 PM »
Is Opus One also overrated?  TY.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2022, 01:35:04 PM »
Is Opus One also overrated?  TY.

Yes

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2022, 01:36:55 PM »
Do you know anything about Lynch Bages?

Always depends on vintage.  You’re paying a lot for the name and history but some of the wines will be amazing.

Do you want your mom to drink right away or age the wine?  Any great Bordeaux needs to age

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2022, 01:39:26 PM »

Did a Napa wine guide steal an ex of yours?

That’s a lot of words to sh** on a French wine, also notable in Spanish foundation, that also produces excellent varieties in Italy, as well as underrated regions like Chile and South Africa, in an hilariously arrogant argument centered around only California cab, highlighted by you apparently having access to mediocre wine stores.

It’s like castigating pizza as a food because you live near St Louis and hate their pizza

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2022, 01:39:39 PM »
Always depends on vintage.  You’re paying a lot for the name and history but some of the wines will be amazing.

Do you want your mom to drink right away or age the wine?  Any great Bordeaux needs to age

I'm basically looking at a price range and drinkable relatively soon.

panda

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2022, 01:43:02 PM »

Sangiovese is not one of my personal favorites so it’s most definitely universally accepted as overrated….

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2022, 01:44:12 PM »
I will preface this by saying my wife and I really aren't wine aficionados...so, take the remainder for what it's worth.

This year my wife picked up a wine advent calendar from Costco. Twenty-four half bottles of wine; one for each December day leading up to Christmas (for those not familiar with advent calendars). All were foreign. There were some hits and misses...and we've still got probably 6-8 left since we didn't drink one every day.

But, we enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 01:52:49 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2022, 01:44:39 PM »
Did a Napa wine guide steal an ex of yours?

That’s a lot of words to sh** on a French wine, also notable in Spanish foundation, that also produces excellent varieties in Italy, as well as underrated regions like Chile and South Africa, in an hilariously arrogant argument centered around only California cab, highlighted by you apparently having access to mediocre wine stores.

It’s like castigating pizza as a food because you live near St Louis and hate their pizza

No but a Napa wine salesman did throw me under the bus for taking acid as he tried to steal my uncles boat. Wonder if that's the root of a lot of my hatred.

But fine I retract my statement to "california cabs are the most overrated wine around up there with malbec". Happy?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2022, 01:44:51 PM »

Then, unless you have access to a wine store with multiple vintages available, you’ll probably want to steer clear of Napa Cabs and Bordeauxs. 

If you’re unsure, find a reputable wine shop and they’ll happily guide you in the right direction.  If you’re in the Milwaukee area, Ray’s or Discount Liquor Milwaukee are safe choices.  They won’t steer you wrong and Discount Liquor Milwaukee has a huge library of great wine.  Don’t go to Total.  They’ll sell you one of their “exclusives”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2022, 01:47:28 PM »

Uh-oh.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2022, 02:10:33 PM »
Uh-oh.

The Mississippi Valley produces the finest yadietals on earth.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2022, 02:12:56 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/27/dining/drinks/wine-school-cabernet-sauvignon-california.html

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2022, 02:20:32 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/27/dining/drinks/wine-school-cabernet-sauvignon-california.html

"In wine and politics and too many other areas, broad, simple messages seem irresistible. They support dogma and perhaps make life seem easier. But by ignoring complexities and nuance, they diminish understanding. That’s the worst possible outcome."

If we stopped doing this scoop would cease to be.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2022, 02:28:54 PM »
"In wine and politics and too many other areas, broad, simple messages seem irresistible. They support dogma and perhaps make life seem easier. But by ignoring complexities and nuance, they diminish understanding. That’s the worst possible outcome."

If we stopped doing this scoop would cease to be.

It is my belief that many Scoop posts are Cabernet fueled.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2022, 02:33:04 PM »
I will preface this by saying my wife and I really aren't wine aficionados...so, take the remainder for what it's worth.

This year my wife picked up a wine advent calendar from Costco. Twenty-four half bottles of wine; one for each December day leading up to Christmas (for those not familiar with advent calendars). All were foreign. There were some hits and misses...and we've still got probably 6-8 left since we didn't drink one every day.

But, we enjoyed it.

Totally agree.  Didn’t do it this year cause my wife nursing a 2-3 month old didn’t lend itself to sampling a bunch of wines, but got it last year and it was fun.  Some were crap, some were good, some were great.  Great way to expose yourself to a lot of regions and varieties, without buying a bunch of full priced bottles blind

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2022, 03:05:28 PM »
Totally agree.  Didn’t do it this year cause my wife nursing a 2-3 month old didn’t lend itself to sampling a bunch of wines, but got it last year and it was fun.  Some were crap, some were good, some were great.  Great way to expose yourself to a lot of regions and varieties, without buying a bunch of full priced bottles blind

Too many of the ones I’ve seen and tried don’t have great representation of the regions, though. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »
High Life, then.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2022, 04:18:20 PM »
Or people like what they like…
So true Sultan. My mother in law, who can afford to drink anything in the world, prefers Sutter Home white zin.  ::)