[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Be safe out there  (Read 3723 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Be safe out there
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2022, 11:49:15 PM »
Seattle was glare ice all day everywhere.  Tried to walk the dog this AM, we both slide in slow motion down our sloped driveway.  He looked at me like I was nuts and scanned for flat ground to go back in the house.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2022, 12:58:50 AM »
Looks like we're getting a salad place instead, which is the exact opposite of Arby's.

I've failed miserably.

Marching on Glendale!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2022, 06:56:12 AM »
Happy that we have no snow in the part of the Blue Ridge area of Virginia where we live, but it was 5 degrees at 6:30 this AM, -7 wind chill, when I walked our very old Beagle Sasha. She insisted on finding the perfect spot to take a dump and absolutely refused to be rushed.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2022, 09:18:09 AM »
Lost our power overnight. Decided to run out to find an open Starbucks. By the time we got back, the power was back on - yay! It had been out for about 4 hours.

Breezy and unseasonably cold in Charlotte.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2022, 09:29:27 AM »
Beginning Wednesday .. 10 straight days of 35-45 degree weather.

The ice rink gods giveth, and they taketh away.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2022, 09:31:42 AM »
Yeah, we are going to need to uncover storm drains to give the 30 inches of snow we have on the ground somewhere to go.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2022, 09:31:55 AM »
Those damn guns were at it again last night, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2022, 09:43:16 AM »
Those damn guns were at it again last night, hey?

There's only one thing that I know how to do well
And I've often been told that you only can do
What you know how to do well
And that's be you,
Be what you're like,
Be like yourself,
And so I'm having a wonderful time
But I'd rather be whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
There's only one thing that I like
And that is whistling in the dark
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2022, 09:56:28 AM »
Take it easy on 4ever, it’s a big couple nights for him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2022, 12:00:13 PM »
Lost our power overnight. Decided to run out to find an open Starbucks. By the time we got back, the power was back on - yay! It had been out for about 4 hours.

Breezy and unseasonably cold in Charlotte.
Phew, power restored before the titanic Panther/Lion battle.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2022, 02:50:03 PM »
"Worst storm to hit Buffalo in decades."

Yes, that's right. A region that always seems to be under 4 feet of snow from Dec. 1 to March 1 is being buried by its worst storm in decades. Yikes!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2022, 02:53:11 PM »
77 inches of snow in Buffalo 5 weeks ago.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2022, 03:01:35 PM »
77 inches of snow in Buffalo 5 weeks ago.

Yep. And this one supposedly is WORSE!

The storm, the worst to strike Buffalo in decades, battered the region overnight with winds exceeding 70 miles per hour, and by Saturday morning more than six feet of snow had buried houses, businesses and cars. The region will not see blizzard conditions ease for another 12 to 18 hours, said Jon Hitchcock, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service’s Buffalo office.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2022, 11:01:06 PM »
There's only one thing that I know how to do well
And I've often been told that you only can do
What you know how to do well
And that's be you,
Be what you're like,
Be like yourself,
And so I'm having a wonderful time
But I'd rather be whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
Whistling in the dark
There's only one thing that I like
And that is whistling in the dark

I do love me some They Might Be Giants

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2022, 05:48:32 PM »
Chick Jr went to the Titans game with her uncle and cousins today.

They all said it was too cold to drink beer.  She said, "I'm from Wisconsin!" and waved the beer vendor over to their section.

I have never been more proud.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2022, 07:31:32 PM »
(sniff) (dabbed tear)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2022, 07:55:20 PM »
25.5 inches of snow.    Now at 67 for the season.   And it is all going away.   That i cg. of rain between now and Sunday is going to be a problem.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2023, 10:46:46 PM »
Op-ed in the Washington Post by Pete Saunders, an urban planner in the Chicago area:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/12/31/buffalo-blizzard-inequality-segregation-cities/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F38b358d%2F63b30e04ef9bf67b2345ae5f%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F17%2F70%2F63b30e04ef9bf67b2345ae5f&wp_cu=b1005792a416de1fbe1f17e5cf366b7d%7CB1FF71CA724A36FAE0530100007F88D6

The recent Christmas blizzard in Buffalo was one for the ages, dropping more than 50 inches of snow — and putting the city over 100 inches for the season, a bit more than its average annual total. Now many Buffalo residents are making legitimate complaints about how unevenly the weather and the snow have affected Black and White residents.

Most tragically, Black people have been overrepresented among the dead. Community leaders point out that Buffalo’s whiter neighborhoods and suburbs were better prepared for the weather. And in the aftermath of the storm, their streets were cleared of snow more quickly than those in Black neighborhoods.

This is hardly a new phenomenon. It is how structural racism — some call it “racism without racists” — works. In many cities, patterns established during the bygone days of virulent, interpersonal racism remain embedded in the infrastructure, and these become most evident in times of crisis. Buffalo is only the most recent illustration.

Great Lakes cities are as familiar with segregation as they are with snow. The region is well-represented on lists of the country’s most segregated cities, especially when it comes to Black-White segregation. Which city is the most segregated? It doesn’t matter. Sometimes it’s Detroit. Or Milwaukee. Or Chicago. Or Cleveland. Others in the broader region are not exempt: St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Minneapolis and, yes, Buffalo. All have troubling legacies of segregation. And all suffer economically as a result.

This is rooted in the arrival of Black Southerners to Northern cities in the early 20th century — escaping Jim Crow violence and seeking manufacturing jobs — and efforts by White city leaders to impose space between the migrants and themselves. Over decades, an array of policies — restrictive deed covenants, exclusionary zoning, redlining, “blockbusting,” public housing and interstate highway development, among others — formed a starkly segregated region.