'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ben Gold Improvement  (Read 12619 times)

rgoode57

• Starter
Re: Ben Gold Improvement
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2023, 12:21:03 PM »
After an off-season in the weight room and getting more pure practice time, I have a feeling Ben Gold will be a damned good player next year. I am enjoying watching his progress.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2023, 12:26:47 PM »
Earlier this year Shaka brought Novak in to spend some time with Ben. Here's hoping last night was like the DePaul game in Steve's freshman year, when he made some shots and really got cooking over the last month of the season.

His shot looks REALLY good. I'm impressed with how he's turned it on and got the jitters out.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2023, 12:34:38 PM »
I don’t think Ben will ever be a rebounding center as he is not a quick jumper but he can become a Steve Novak type, just have to recruit a rebounding big which would help Ben immensely. Ben is a tough guard for a center which he showed last night, I see big improvement from year 1 to year 2. Big difference in living here then New Z.
Has lots of potential.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2023, 02:35:05 PM »
As I watched the game last night, I found myself asking multiple times… “if Ben is the only one making a shot… why are they not passing to him when he is wide open… instead we run in at 700 foot tall clingan?”

Multiple times Ben was open at the 3 line, hands up… and no one even looked at him. Ugh.

I blame Markus.

Seriously, I was encouraged by Ben's play and disappointed the number of times the ball stopped moving -- and wasn't able to find Gold.

I don’t think Ben will ever be a rebounding center as he is not a quick jumper but he can become a Steve Novak type, just have to recruit a rebounding big which would help Ben immensely. Ben is a tough guard for a center which he showed last night, I see big improvement from year 1 to year 2. Big difference in living here then New Z.
Has lots of potential.

I'm not trying to present Gold as the next KD, but he's a better athlete than Novak was.

Agree that getting more acclimated with the U.S., Milwaukee and Marquette can only help him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2023, 02:41:54 PM »

One of my favorite things about Novak, aside from being the greatest shooter in MU history, was his ability to catch the ball and pull the trigger without a dribble and not miss a beat. If Ben is anywhere near the shooter Novak was, he will make a lot of money. But, I agree he is a better athlete and has other skills. I think Ben will make a difference in a big game before the year is out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2023, 03:22:27 PM »

One of my favorite things about Novak, aside from being the greatest shooter in MU history, was his ability to catch the ball and pull the trigger without a dribble and not miss a beat. If Ben is anywhere near the shooter Novak was, he will make a lot of money. But, I agree he is a better athlete and has other skills. I think Ben will make a difference in a big game before the year is out.

Oh, Novak is one of the 3 best shooters I've ever seen. His ability to do just what you said kept him getting NBA paychecks for a decade.

I'd love to see Gold earn the opportunity to be a difference-maker in a game this season. Then again, I'd love that for any of our guys.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2023, 03:26:02 PM »
Maybe this is not realistic but I'm hoping Ben and Oso can be on the floor more together next season if there are matchups that can be exploited. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2023, 03:56:43 PM »
His shot looks REALLY good. I'm impressed with how he's turned it on and got the jitters out.

Agree. Just one thing more please from Ben. Stop bobbling the ball! He's got great upside but continues to have butterfingers.

I'm all in on Ben. Just nitpicking maybe, but it will cost us turnovers. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2023, 04:22:50 PM »
Maybe this is not realistic but I'm hoping Ben and Oso can be on the floor more together next season if there are matchups that can be exploited.

Agreed, need to play bigger or when Omax does not show up, which is more often then you think!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2023, 04:33:51 PM »

Who is the third? I would have Dale Ellis very high on my list.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 05:18:53 PM by Goose »

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2023, 05:51:09 PM »
Steph Curry?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2023, 06:05:16 PM »
Has lots of potential.
I agree with most of what you said. I think Ben is a good athlete who will prove to be a big contributor.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2023, 06:17:48 PM »
BL

Curry is best I have ever seen.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2023, 06:20:14 PM »
Joey Hauser

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2023, 06:34:26 PM »

Who is the third? I would have Dale Ellis very high on my list.

Greg Elliott, of course!

Pure shooters, I'd go with Steph, Novak and Kerr. But if my life depended on someone making a 3, I'd go with Steph, Bird and Miller.

So many great choices, though. Even beyond Greg Elliott!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2023, 07:51:02 PM »
Agree. Just one thing more please from Ben. Stop bobbling the ball! He's got great upside but continues to have butterfingers.

I'm all in on Ben. Just nitpicking maybe, but it will cost us turnovers. 

Update- After reading about how the wrong size ball caused problems for Duke's Women's team (they had a NCAA men's bball for the first half of a game), I thought it would be interesting to see what size ball Ben played with in international play. I figured that he would have long since adjusted to the NCAA ball if there was, in fact, a difference from the international one. Maybe he still is adjusting, but my comments about his bobbling the ball need to be taken in context. Interesting read.

https://sportsaspire.com/official-basketball-size
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2023, 08:01:10 PM »
Steph, Klay, Reggie, Korver, Ray, Larry, KD, Reddick. The list goes on.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2023, 08:18:35 PM »
Great game for Ben.
Playing that good against a top team like UCONN has to increase his swagger.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2023, 09:36:34 PM »
Best 3 point shooter I ever saw: Markus H #1 - Wowsey Rowsey #2 - he cold shoot left handed 3s after drawing a foul better than most other shooters could with their strong arm.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2023, 09:39:31 PM »
MU82

Famous quote by Pat Riley (paraphrased):  “If it was a shot to win a game, I’d take Michael Jordan.  If it was a shot to save my life, I’d take Larry Bird.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2023, 10:48:20 PM »
MU82

Famous quote by Pat Riley (paraphrased):  “If it was a shot to win a game, I’d take Michael Jordan.  If it was a shot to save my life, I’d take Larry Bird.”

I like that one.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2023, 04:48:07 AM »
Is a smaller size ball easier to get into the basket? I don't play. Intuitively the answer is yes, just asking. Also is the circumference of the basket uniform? Why is the size not standard.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 04:52:57 AM by muwarrior69 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2023, 06:20:07 AM »
Is a smaller size ball easier to get into the basket? I don't play. Intuitively the answer is yes, just asking. Also is the circumference of the basket uniform? Why is the size not standard.

A women’s ball is lighter and smaller. I think it made a ton of difference in the women’s game when it was introduced.

I don’t know if it’s easier to shoot which is more repetition and feel.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2023, 06:31:08 AM »
The women's basketball is used by boys until 7th grade around here.  It is easier for small hands.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2023, 06:53:46 AM »
MU82

Makes sense, because Jordan made a habit out of killing Pat Riley in the playoffs  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback