Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mitchell/Ross/Defense/Offense  (Read 6430 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Mitchell/Ross/Defense/Offense
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2022, 07:43:44 PM »
Exactly, towards the basket. You either end up getting a pass or cleaning up a rebound.

No, Sean didn’t just stop when at the 3pt line. He ran away from the ball and the basket. He ran to the corner. Making a bad angle for a potential pass from Ross and further away.

Made Klesmits decision easier on D. He zeroed in on Ross, begging him to throw the ball to the corner while he got in position for a charge.

Sure Ross had other choices. Coulda pulled up from 3, pulled up mid range or just pulled the ball back out. All bad results in my mind on a 2 on 1 break.

I’m saying if Sean runs to the right spot, towards the basket in your words, then MU gets 2 pts from either Chase or Sean on that break. He turned a 2 on 1 break into 1 on 1 making Ross’ decision harder than it needed to be.
Ok cool rant you won I lost, period....Sean's fault
Goal is National Championship

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2022, 08:18:26 PM »
Ok cool rant you won I lost, period....Sean's fault

Another toolish response following up on:

“Wrong”
“Have you ever played guard”

You could just open your mind to a nuance of a play that you didn’t notice.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2022, 08:19:49 PM »
Another toolish response following up on:

“Wrong”
“Have you ever played guard”

You could just open your mind to a nuance of a play that you didn’t notice.
Beautiful

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2022, 08:30:36 PM »
Exactly, towards the basket. You either end up getting a pass or cleaning up a rebound.

No, Sean didn’t just stop when at the 3pt line. He ran away from the ball and the basket. He ran to the corner. Making a bad angle for a potential pass from Ross and further away.

Made Klesmits decision easier on D. He zeroed in on Ross, begging him to throw the ball to the corner while he got in position for a charge.

Sure Ross had other choices. Coulda pulled up from 3, pulled up mid range or just pulled the ball back out. All bad results in my mind on a 2 on 1 break.

I’m saying if Sean runs to the right spot, towards the basket in your words, then MU gets 2 pts from either Chase or Sean on that break. He turned a 2 on 1 break into 1 on 1 making Ross’ decision harder than it needed to be.

Sean just didn't run to the three line as an error. He is taught that in Nevada's offense. Blame the coaching staff then.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2022, 10:00:13 PM »
Sean just didn't run to the three line as an error. He is taught that in Nevada's offense. Blame the coaching staff then.

Yeah, I guess that thought scares me a little.

But it seems like they’ve finished off a whole lot of conventional 2 on 1 breaks last year and so far this season. Like if Sean stayed a little tighter it would’ve been Ross to Sean and back to Ross for an ally oop dunk. Pretty sure we’ve seen a bunch of those since Nevada’s been here.

That play put Ross on the bench with 4 fouls. Don’t think Sean played much more after that either.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 10:03:14 PM by Freeway »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2022, 09:04:20 AM »
Stevie's offense definitely bears monitoring the rest of the year.  Great defender, but subpar as both a shooter and finisher at the rim.

Sean and Chase are better as freshman than Stevie was.  Both can finish much better around the rim.  Chase can make plays above the rim and even flashes potential as a shooter (9-11 FT, 6-18 3fg). And Sean has electric speed that
can break down a defense.

As they gain experience, I expect they will pass Stevie by, either this year or next.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2022, 09:21:52 AM »
I actually think Stevie is a fine finisher at the rim he just doesn't get a lot of opportunities there. Honestly the entire team minus Kolek is solid to very good at finishing at the rim. The three point shooting has also improved team wide to 34.6% which is plenty good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2022, 10:25:46 AM »
In Shaka I trust....

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2022, 11:42:45 AM »
Kolek has to be on the court most of the time to run the offense. Sean Jones may be  that guy in the future, but not now or anytime this year. His job is to let Kolek get some rest and bring some energy, and he is doing it very well. You have to pair Kolek with Kam Jones just to have some shooting. So, it really is a question of Mitchell or Ross for the third spot. Stevie is a better on-ball defender but Chase is pretty good too and a better all-around player - will get an occasional rebound, can shoot a bit, and can take the ball to the rim. If Ross doesn't pass Mitchell this season, he will next year for sure. Shaka is sort of stuck with the three-guard lineup this year simply because Joplin plays such poor defense.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2022, 11:47:17 AM »
Kolek has to be on the court most of the time to run the offense. Sean Jones may be  that guy in the future, but not now or anytime this year. His job is to let Kolek get some rest and bring some energy, and he is doing it very well. You have to pair Kolek with Kam Jones just to have some shooting. So, it really is a question of Mitchell or Ross for the third spot. Stevie is a better on-ball defender but Chase is pretty good too and a better all-around player - will get an occasional rebound, can shoot a bit, and can take the ball to the rim. If Ross doesn't pass Mitchell this season, he will next year for sure. Shaka is sort of stuck with the three-guard lineup this year simply because Joplin plays such poor defense.

Being in the arena, it never felt like Marquette was going to win. Even when we got a late lead it felt like something was always coming from UW.

That being said, I would have liked to see how the game played out had MU ran more through Oso.  He had the 2nd bucket of the game for MU on a drive past their big fella and it looked like he could have done that all game.  Obviously when you're down 16 like we were in the 2nd half you kinda have to go away from Oso to get get 3s on the board but maybe running through him would have avoided the deficit in the 1st place.  Offense wasn't really the issue though so it is hard to say.
VIOLENCE!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2022, 11:58:40 AM »
I actually think Stevie is a fine finisher at the rim he just doesn't get a lot of opportunities there. Honestly the entire team minus Kolek is solid to very good at finishing at the rim. The three point shooting has also improved team wide to 34.6% which is plenty good.

Stevie is shooting 56% at the rim. Second lowest on the team.  Ok, but not great.

Sean Jones is shooting 64% and Chase Ross 71%.  The sample size is still pretty small, so I will continue tracking this throughout the season.

But Stevie also lags behind both in FT rate.

Sean 44.7 (2nd on team)
Chase 30.6 (t-3rd on team)
Stevie 25.9 (7th on team)

Stevie's great on defense, but his offense has left a lot to be desired.  Hopefully he turns it around and proves me wrong.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2022, 12:10:30 PM »
Being in the arena, it never felt like Marquette was going to win. Even when we got a late lead it felt like something was always coming from UW.

That being said, I would have liked to see how the game played out had MU ran more through Oso.  He had the 2nd bucket of the game for MU on a drive past their big fella and it looked like he could have done that all game.  Obviously when you're down 16 like we were in the 2nd half you kinda have to go away from Oso to get get 3s on the board but maybe running through him would have avoided the deficit in the 1st place.  Offense wasn't really the issue though so it is hard to say.
Besides Stevie, how long before teams start leaving Oso alone when he's at the high post?  I know he's hitting 65% from the floor, but his makes are all layups and dunks.  He is a poor shooter outside 5-6 feet or so.  I'd start playing him very soft away from the backet if I were an MU opponent, dare him to take the 12 footer.
 That would take away his ability to hit the cutter and lessen his ability to drive.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2022, 12:14:26 PM »
Besides Stevie, how long before teams start leaving Oso alone when he's at the high post?  I know he's hitting 65% from the floor, but his makes are all layups and dunks.  He is a poor shooter outside 5-6 feet or so.  I'd start playing him very soft away from the backet if I were an MU opponent, dare him to take the 12 footer.
 That would take away his ability to hit the cutter and lessen his ability to drive.

Probably never because Marquette has 2 elite shooters in Kam and Joplin that can come off a no-help screen and drill 3s at will if left open continuously.  In addition to that they have a handful of other capable shooters and some elite attackers in Kolek and Sean than can come off a no help screen downhill to do major damage.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 12:22:08 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2022, 12:14:37 PM »
Right now, hack-an-Oso is a legit option.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2022, 05:51:45 PM »
Kolek has to be on the court most of the time to run the offense.

I think either Kolek or Oso should be out there. Sean is fine if Oso is there as the secondary creator. Sean is also fine alongside Kolek. But in critical moments, Sean needs one of them out there with him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2022, 07:23:48 PM »
Watch NBA games,  this type of fast break is the norm.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2022, 07:58:38 PM »
Sean Jones and Chase Ross need to play more...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2022, 08:01:57 PM »
They are playing plenty for freshmen.   Both making the most of Wrightsil's absence.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »

Agree.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2022, 04:28:48 PM »
Watching the replay of the Wisconsin game. What happened to our defense? Thought that was Shamans strong suit. And we couldn't make layups. And we were out rebounded. And out coached.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2022, 06:35:58 PM »
Watching the replay of the Wisconsin game. What happened to our defense? Thought that was Shamans strong suit. And we couldn't make layups. And we were out rebounded. And out coached.

Remember the good old days when you criticized fellow Scoopers for being negative and sarcastic "Debbie Downers"?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mug644

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2022, 06:45:47 PM »

I love their potential and growth already this season. But they "need to play more" with who playing less?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2022, 06:46:24 PM »
Remember the good old days when you criticized fellow Scoopers for being negative and sarcastic "Debbie Downers"?
Don't feed the mopes

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2022, 07:25:09 PM »

Terrible D, couldn’t make a lay up, couldn’t rebound and were out coached and the game went to OT. Just think, if we played just a little D, made some lay ups, got some rebounds and coached at the Greg Gard level we would have won by 30+. You must be pretty encouraged.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2022, 07:27:11 PM »
Terrible D, couldn’t make a lay up, couldn’t rebound and were out coached and the game went to OT. Just think, if we played just a little D, made some lay ups, got some rebounds and coached at the Greg Gard level we would have won by 30+. You must be pretty encouraged.

Ha!  Well said Lenny. 

feedback