[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mitchell/Ross/Defense/Offense  (Read 6428 times)

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Mitchell/Ross/Defense/Offense
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2022, 10:13:47 PM »
Besides Stevie, how long before teams start leaving Oso alone when he's at the high post?  I know he's hitting 65% from the floor, but his makes are all layups and dunks.  He is a poor shooter outside 5-6 feet or so.  I'd start playing him very soft away from the backet if I were an MU opponent, dare him to take the 12 footer.
 That would take away his ability to hit the cutter and lessen his ability to drive.

That playing off a guy strategy works well with smaller players or players who cant dribble. If you play off Oso too much he can drive the lane and score easy because he is big. You can do it on Kolek because he struggles finishing in the lane.  Not Oso.

I would agree I would foul Oso tho anytime he has a decent shot at the basket. Esp later in game. I think his FT shooting will cost us a game.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2022, 09:27:08 AM »
After watching the game last night, it is apparent to me that Chase Ross should be getting more of Stevie Mitchell's minutes. Stevie is a really good on-ball defender - really good. But, on offense, he is a problem right now. Ross, on the other hand, just plays with an energy and enthusiasm that you have to love. He is a good defender and better offensive player than Stevie. Over the course of the year, I look forward to watching Ross getting better and better. Don't misunderstand, I love Stevie Mitchell as a player; he is a very valuable asset. But, I think I like Ross getting more of his minutes.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2022, 09:52:21 AM »
After watching the game last night, it is apparent to me that Chase Ross should be getting more of Stevie Mitchell's minutes. Stevie is a really good on-ball defender - really good. But, on offense, he is a problem right now. Ross, on the other hand, just plays with an energy and enthusiasm that you have to love. He is a good defender and better offensive player than Stevie. Over the course of the year, I look forward to watching Ross getting better and better. Don't misunderstand, I love Stevie Mitchell as a player; he is a very valuable asset. But, I think I like Ross getting more of his minutes.

Stevie had 9 points in 22 minutes on 3 makes.

Ross had 8 points in 21 minutes on 3 makes.

I'd say they're pretty equivalent in value.  Neither are going to light up a scoreboard, both can impact the game in a major way.  Stevie does it by disrupting the primary ballhandler and cutting to the rim offensively, Chase does it by playing passing lanes and getting out in transition.  Good mix.
VIOLENCE!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2022, 09:56:40 AM »
I think they are fine with in the roles they currently play.  Stevie helps set a defensive tone early. Chase has energy and athleticism, but can be foul prone. Projecting that increased minutes means increased production isn't always accurate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2022, 10:09:46 AM »

That is just not true. In our 4 biggest games so far this year, Chase Ross has a 64.4 ORTG with low usage. He has a 30% TO rate. No assists in those games. He has a 6% assist rate in all games this year.

When Chase Ross is in the game, Marquette has an Adjusted Team Offensive Efficiency of 104.8. That is the lowest among the 9 guys who play on the team.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2022, 11:22:37 AM »
Right now, Chase is a pretty low usage guy. Will shoot treys, but only 30% this year.

The majority of his 2FGM are dunks — mostly in transition.

In the 4 games jfp61 is referring to, he has just one dunk…

Brings a fun element to the floor, but his game will greatly expand in the future… not quite ready yet imho
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2022, 11:29:41 AM »
Chase is filling his role well.  Bringing energy off the bench.   Stevie is filling his role well, too.   I do not see Chase starting over Stevie this season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2022, 11:06:56 AM »
Interesting numbers from Evan Miya.  Stevie is the 208th most valuable player in the country in his minutes on the court.

Marquette ranked 30th as a team has some promising looking numbers overall.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2022, 11:17:12 AM »
Interesting numbers from Evan Miya.  Stevie is the 208th most valuable player in the country in his minutes on the court.

Marquette ranked 30th as a team has some promising looking numbers overall.

That is interesting. Thanks for providing.

A little surprised that Kam ranks so poorly defensively, as the eye test (and even Shaka's pluadits) suggest he has improved a lot on that end. Similarly surprised about O-Max's defensive number. But otherwise, the numbers support what we pretty much know -- Oso and Kolek are our most important players, with O-Max up there, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2022, 11:37:08 AM »

A little surprised that Kam ranks so poorly defensively, as the eye test (and even Shaka's pluadits) suggest he has improved a lot on that end. Similarly surprised about O-Max's defensive number. But otherwise, the numbers support what we pretty much know -- Oso and Kolek are our most important players, with O-Max up there, too.

Could be a simple case of numbers don't tell the whole story.  Kam (from the eyetest) has appeared to amp up the defense the past few games.  Really active with his feet.  As far as OMax goes, he just does so much defensively with different presses, matchups, etc. that his number doesn't concern me.  I guess it is something we can monitor and see if the computers start to match the eye test!
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2022, 11:51:06 AM »

Kam has been solid defensively the last few games. He was BAD to start the season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2022, 12:00:43 PM »

Kam has been solid defensively the last few games. He was BAD to start the season

Thanks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2022, 12:07:19 PM »
Could be a simple case of numbers don't tell the whole story.  Kam (from the eyetest) has appeared to amp up the defense the past few games.  Really active with his feet.  As far as OMax goes, he just does so much defensively with different presses, matchups, etc. that his number doesn't concern me.  I guess it is something we can monitor and see if the computers start to match the eye test!

On the season, Kam Jones is a worse defender than was anticipated, but he is still a mildly better defender than his was last year.

Kam numerically on EvanMiya hasn't improved defensively over the past ten days, he got worse. BUT, the rest of our players have taken larger steps back (the starters and Joplin minus Stevie). This is mostly Chucky Hepburn's fault.

Kam is the most improved player in the last 10 days. He really turned his season around as of late. 

feedback