Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lowest lows follow the highest highs  (Read 11970 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Lowest lows follow the highest highs
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2022, 06:08:11 PM »
Other than the Baylor game, this season is a fail so far.

This was a setback..  It's a bit worrisome how this team will execute in a close game down the stretch.  We're 0-3 to this point.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2022, 06:08:59 PM »
Free throw percentage was not a macro problem.  MU's was better than Wisconsin's.   Oso developing a mental block at the line is a problem.   Hack-an-Oso is coming.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2022, 06:10:12 PM »
The doubling teaming and wide open sickouts for three really hurt them in first half.  No one near the Wiskey shooters and Shaka didn't make adjustment.  Same thing happened last year in BE play.  Hope the review of game tapes works out something.

MU had there chances, a great comeback.  Then Kolek missed an uncontested layup.  Oso missed two free throws for the lead.  Mitchell and Omax missed two wide open threes on consecutive possessions.  It happens, but winning teams make some of those shots.  They just have to look in the mirror at a tough loss at home.

Don't know why Shaka sat Ross out after he picked up fourth foul mid second half.  Never returned to the game, why?
He would have added some offense not provided by Mitchell. Omax went 1 for 7 from three and half his points were at free throw line.  It was all Kam.  Oh well.

Conner Essigian was a three star recruit and he has some stroke.  His two threes and a short two pointer were deadly when Hepburn went out.  I hope one of MU's three star recruits next year has a stroke like his.

On to the Domers.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2022, 06:12:48 PM »
Kolek crapped the bed.  Thought he would be the reason for winning but hesitant to shoot a three, can’t drive well and can’t in bound the ball.  He needs to be a rock for this team and not one of the reasons we lose.  I still think he is the linch pin.  He needs to have the balls to shoot and make things happen at the end of games.  If he’s not capable, we need need Sean to play at the end. Disappointing loss. MU is good though. I’m not giving up on this season at all.  ND will go down on Sunday.

He wasn't good and having two perimeter players on the floor that are beyond gunshy makes things tough.  Now, we had 5 possessions that would have changed the outcome in our favor.  The four missed (wide open( threes by O-Max and Stevie and the careless turn fron Kam on the blow by about 35 feet from the rim.  But to your point Kolek has to look to be a scorer throughout the game, and the Kam turnover sort of illustrates that he was hesitant to take over possessions. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2022, 06:14:19 PM »
Or , not have a crappy shooting team not shoot 61% efg
Yep defensive adjustment way late. Once team is killing it from 3, have to keep 'em from shooting 3's.
Goal is National Championship

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2022, 06:15:50 PM »
Shaka lost this game.  Too many coaching mistakes cost us in a close game.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2022, 06:17:08 PM »
Poor strategy and poor play in the first half.  Made up for it in the second half, but the hill was too tall to climb.

JB is right. The problem wasn't the FT%...it was UW's EFG in the first half that killed us.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2022, 06:17:43 PM »
Team was visibly gassed in OT. Think they should have used a timeout after omax free throws at 2:34 remaining. They had 3 left. Though it’s easy to say now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2022, 06:17:51 PM »
I want Omax shooting open 3's.    Today is the first time I can remember that he wanted to be the man at crunch time.   He had good looks.  He missed.   In his case, perhaps he should have gone past the defender closing out and tried to get either a lay up or a foul. 

Opportunity for growth.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2022, 06:17:55 PM »
Baylor game is an aberration - can’t beat a weak Wisconsin team missing their PG for a half, at home yet.   9th in the BE may be right. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2022, 06:19:13 PM »
I want Omax shooting open 3's.    Today is the first time I can remember that he wanted to be the man at crunch time.   He had good looks.  He missed.   In his case, perhaps he should have gone past the defender closing out and tried to get either a lay up or a foul. 

Opportunity for growth.   

Yep.  He hits that wide open three at the top of the key, MU likely wins.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2022, 06:20:21 PM »
Going away from high pick and roll with Oso in OT is what led to 5 point deficit. That was the difference imo

+1

Poor defensive strategy in the first half continually doubling Crowl, poor offensive strategy in OT going away from the high pick and roll, and extremely poor inbound “plays” to end the game.  It’s particularly hard to believe they did the same thing twice. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2022, 06:21:31 PM »
ESPNs stats must be off.  It says Hepburn hard 19 pts.  My memory of the game would say he had about 43

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2022, 06:22:24 PM »
+1

Poor defensive strategy in the first half continually doubling Crowl, poor offensive strategy in OT going away from the high pick and roll, and extremely poor inbound “plays” to end the game.  It’s particularly hard to believe they did the same thing twice.

The inbound play was a complete disaster

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2022, 06:22:58 PM »
Here's the bottom line: 

TyKo has to play well down the stretch and in general for us to beat quality teams in close games.  He's the guy, the conductor.  He can't be hesitant, can't turn it over 5 times, and has to be a scoring threat with his passing abilities.  Mitchell has essentially lost confidence offensively.  We can't have two guys hesitant to make plays.  In this particular contest I am a little dumbfounded Ross didn't play at all after that charge call. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2022, 06:24:09 PM »
Also, FTs Matta
Errrr, MU made more than the Bags took.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2022, 06:24:35 PM »
Baylor game is an aberration - can’t beat a weak Wisconsin team missing their PG for a half, at home yet.   9th in the BE may be right.

You turned around for calling people out for COLE quickly!  MU won't finish worse than 6th in the BE.   

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2022, 06:25:24 PM »

No longer,did you change your moniker?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2022, 06:25:40 PM »
ESPNs stats must be off.  It says Hepburn hard 19 pts.  My memory of the game would say he had about 43

Wish he shot like Katherine Hepburn .

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2022, 06:26:01 PM »

I understand this concern but we were playing from a 16 pt deficit. These guys fought back.  That said I don't expect Wisky to do much in the B14. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2022, 06:26:19 PM »
eFG% reigns supreme. They hit some contested threes. We missed some open looks. We’re a lil but better team, but luck can shift things in a hurry
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2022, 06:26:54 PM »
The doubling teaming and wide open sickouts for three really hurt them in first half.  No one near the Wiskey shooters and Shaka didn't make adjustment.  Same thing happened last year in BE play.  Hope the review of game tapes works out something.

MU had there chances, a great comeback.  Then Kolek missed an uncontested layup.  Oso missed two free throws for the lead.  Mitchell and Omax missed two wide open threes on consecutive possessions.  It happens, but winning teams make some of those shots.  They just have to look in the mirror at a tough loss at home.

Don't know why Shaka sat Ross out after he picked up fourth foul mid second half.  Never returned to the game, why?
He would have added some offense not provided by Mitchell. Omax went 1 for 7 from three and half his points were at free throw line.  It was all Kam.  Oh well.

Conner Essigian was a three star recruit and he has some stroke.  His two threes and a short two pointer were deadly when Hepburn went out.  I hope one of MU's three star recruits next year has a stroke like his.

On to the Domers.

Good summary..right on.  Felt it was the poorest game Shaka's coached at MU.  I'll add I have NO idea why with 3.5 seconds, down 2, Kolek's only option was to fire a pass to the other side of halfcourt where you had 4 on 3 defense.  Omax screening the ball on the out of bounds play. 

Just brutal.  You 100% inbound the ball in the backcourt in that situation with Kam catching it on the run.  But, we had so many wide open 3's that were missed, and Hepburn was in the zone, career night shooting 26 foot bombs over Oso and Omax.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2022, 06:27:18 PM »
eFG% reigns supreme.

You mean wins aren't predicated on deflections????!!!????

nyg

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2022, 06:28:36 PM »
Here's the bottom line: 

TyKo has to play well down the stretch and in general for us to beat quality teams in close games.  He's the guy, the conductor.  He can't be hesitant, can't turn it over 5 times, and has to be a scoring threat with his passing abilities. Mitchell has essentially lost confidence offensively. We can't have two guys hesitant to make plays.  In this particular contest I am a little dumbfounded Ross didn't play at all after that charge call.

Kolek had five turnovers and made two field goals.  But then again he had eight assists.  He is just not consistent game to game and wonder if that will ever change.  Mitchell has zero offense and is in there for defense.  I see his minutes going down for Ross and like I said earlier, no clue why Ross didn't play since mid second half. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2022, 06:29:42 PM »
I am COLE after that coaching and performance against Bucky.

You turned around for calling people out for COLE quickly!  MU won't finish worse than 6th in the BE.