[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shooting Issues  (Read 5348 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Shooting Issues
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2022, 10:52:56 AM »
I like Jop’s shot and trust him to shoot but his release is really slow. It seems like the defense is able to close out on him much quicker than they should and then he has to shoot over them. That should be fixable

As long as it's not glacially slow, you usually can get away with that just fine in college. Sam had a very slow release but he positioned himself well and knew when to launch. I see a lot of slow releases in college, relative to the quick releases by most NBA marksmen, and they can be very effective.

Kolek's form is yuck.  Very herky jerky, as is OMax's.  Kam's is smooth, Mitchell's and Joplin's are very smooth when they have time to get set, but both take a very long time to get off.

Agree about all but Mitchell. He releases the ball too low and sometimes looks like he's pushing it instead of shooting it.

Kolek's form is better than last year, so I'd go better than "yucky," but it's still nowhere near smooth.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2022, 11:02:34 AM »
As long as it's not glacially slow, you usually can get away with that just fine in college. Sam had a very slow release but he positioned himself well and knew when to launch. I see a lot of slow releases in college, relative to the quick releases by most NBA marksmen, and they can be very effective.

Agree about all but Mitchell. He releases the ball too low and sometimes looks like he's pushing it instead of shooting it.

Kolek's form is better than last year, so I'd go better than "yucky," but it's still nowhere near smooth.

Good point on Stevie's release being low.  I'm a big believer in balance being the most important thing for shooters, and to me Stevie, when he has time to get set, has good balance and not a lot of kick or movement in the lower body.  But he does have a low release point.  There's a lot of leg twitching from Kolek and OMax that I see.  It's a lot less repeatable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2022, 11:20:14 AM »
Is it that simple?  I thought we got plenty of good looks.  If you don't have good shooters what's the countermove or can you get better in this area?  It seems to me if your shooting is subpar you have to get to the FT line to score enough.

Nah! Just make the diameter of the basket wider when we're on offense.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2022, 11:31:50 AM »
Stevie shoots the ball on the way up. Until that gets corrected I dont know if he'll ever be a reliable shooter.

OMax's shot looks fine to me. Kolek's feet still point too far right. Doesn't need to be dead square but they're way to one side. Jop has a nice release, a little slow but nice and high.

Kam has the funky one to me. It's a bit of a push and he's got some weird guide hand action. I think that's partially why he runs so hot and cold.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2022, 12:13:11 PM »
Stevie shoots the ball on the way up. Until that gets corrected I dont know if he'll ever be a reliable shooter.

OMax's shot looks fine to me. Kolek's feet still point too far right. Doesn't need to be dead square but they're way to one side. Jop has a nice release, a little slow but nice and high.

Kam has the funky one to me. It's a bit of a push and he's got some weird guide hand action. I think that's partially why he runs so hot and cold.

Doesn't Steph Curry shoot on the way up? 

:)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2022, 12:59:23 PM »
I see we've reached the point of the season where every Scooper is a shooting coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2022, 01:16:10 PM »
They don't have natural shooters, but their offense certainly improves when they work it from the inside out instead of passing around the perimeter. IMO they have to break down the defense more like they did in the second half.

I see we've reached the point of the season where every Scooper is an offensive coordinator.  8-)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2022, 01:28:10 PM »
Well past the point where every scooper is offensive.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2022, 02:08:07 PM »
I see we've reached the point of the season where every Scooper is an offensive coordinator.  8-)

Nope. Read again.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »
Well past the point where every scooper is offensive.
MOPE
Goal is National Championship

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2022, 06:06:03 PM »
Seams ta bee occurin' moore 'round Wells ta State St., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2022, 09:21:01 PM »
No seems to happen mostly up your a$$

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2022, 09:28:21 PM »

Explains why Marquette’s enrollment is down to 43.

People are saying the university might have to close.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2022, 09:52:46 PM »
No seems to happen mostly up your a$$

I hate no see'ems in Florida. And yes, they get up there.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2022, 10:08:30 PM »
The reason MU struggled was interior defense of Mississippi state. Though MU might have gotten into the lane, once there Smith, Jeffries and McNair made it near impossible for MU guards to get a shot up which forced the ball to the parameter. MU was then taking a rushed or contested three.

Secondarily was MU’s bad shot selection. Jones and Joplin both made bad decisions. Jones was trying his best Steph Curry impersonation.

One of the final reasons MU struggled was as Miss St was closing out MU would take their eyes off the basket while shooting to look at the player coming at them especially OMax.

All of this shows in the stat lines. MU shot 8 FTs because they weren’t getting into the lane to get fouled. They shot 28 3pt on 51 attempts. That means they shot more threes than 2pt.

Because MU couldn’t get the ball over Smith it allowed Miss States guards to play the 3pt line. MU needed to work the mid-range game from 5-10ft but they never did.

Kolek time and time again got too deep.

Jones was 2 for 10 from 3.  Mostly shooting from Tampa.

Joplin was 0-4.   

Only reason this was close was because of MU’s defense and pressure and Miss St also couldn’t really shoot. Two of their guards had zero spin on the ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2022, 10:32:33 PM »
You get it

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2022, 10:41:20 PM »
Right.  And then he finished at 31%.  When the competition gets tougher, it's tougher to get open looks.

I'm hoping for 33% from Kolek and OMax, 35% from Stevie (though I don't think he'll shoot many), 38% from Joplin, 35% from Kam (I think he's going to be taking tough shots all year), and I hope Sean starts getting enough time to shoot more.

By the way Wades..per your earlier statement about wanting to wager on the under on my projection of Kolek 35-40% for the year - as you offered to take the under 35% bet - let's wager $1,000.  No charity necessary.  You pay me, or I pay you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2022, 10:50:41 PM »
By the way Wades..per your earlier statement about wanting to wager on the under on my projection of Kolek 35-40% for the year - as you offered to take the under 35% bet - let's wager $1,000.  No charity necessary.  You pay me, or I pay you.

Lol. I’ll pay a charity and you can do the same if I win.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2022, 10:54:02 PM »
pretty sure the shooting woes will all be fixed shooting at home in the Fiserv (at least that's what I am told, oh wait, it's the opposite)...

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2022, 11:01:32 PM »
Lol. I’ll pay a charity and you can do the same if I win.

Sorry dude. I want to enjoy some fine food and drink at your expense.  Reality is, is that you don't want to make the bet. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2022, 06:18:04 AM »
Sorry dude. I want to enjoy some fine food and drink at your expense.  Reality is, is that you don't want to make the bet.

I’d love to lose the bet. But I have no interest in not making it for a good cause.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2022, 06:23:54 AM »

He's the one who offered and laid out his terms.  Who's the one who doesn't want to make the bet?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2022, 07:10:48 AM »
It's obvious that Shaka is a defensive minded coach. Who coaches the offense? Who coaches shooting? I've never seen so many players on the same team with awkward shooting forms. So far our defense is very good, but our offense is painful to watch.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2022, 08:13:09 AM »

¿Demasiado ron para nos amigo?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2022, 08:50:07 AM »
¿Demasiado ron para nos amigo?
Mucho sí

feedback