[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Needed a blue pill......  (Read 6449 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Needed a blue pill......
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2022, 08:57:46 AM »
Bizarre game statistically. We were outshot 56.2% eFG to 45.1%. Rarely can that be overcome. Surprisingly, it was rebounding that helped close the gap, but we didn’t turn the ‘shaky freshmen’ and didn’t get to the line.

Our defensive turnover rate of 9.0% was the lowest for Shaka while at MU. At the start of the game, it looked like we may get them to cough the ball over a lot.. but, then they broke free a couple of times for easy looks and I felt like we backed off a bit.

1/12 3FG in the second half for non-Jop’s.

62.0% eFG% for Purdue in the second half. 1.39 ppp in second half. Yuck.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2022, 09:05:01 AM »
I haven’t seen the game as I am away on business.  Reviewing the stat line I have to say if you had offered me that stat line before the game I’d have taken it. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2022, 09:05:18 AM »
I definitely thought we backed off after Purdue got a string of easy looks.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2022, 09:08:32 AM »
Marquette got beat at their own game.  Small ball.
If we could have played Purdue's small team even, then we could of probably held them off even when they put Edey back in.
As it was, their small ball took away the lead and then with a fresh Edey going in at the end, well that was all they wrote.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2022, 09:09:58 AM »
Perhaps MU just got a little tired.  Little production or minutes off the bench other than Joplin.  Purdue found energy from their crowd.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2022, 09:40:14 AM »
Bizarre game statistically. We were outshot 56.2% eFG to 45.1%. Rarely can that be overcome. Surprisingly, it was rebounding that helped close the gap, but we didn’t turn the ‘shaky freshmen’ and didn’t get to the line.

Our defensive turnover rate of 9.0% was the lowest for Shaka while at MU. At the start of the game, it looked like we may get them to cough the ball over a lot.. but, then they broke free a couple of times for easy looks and I felt like we backed off a bit.

1/12 3FG in the second half for non-Jop’s.

62.0% eFG% for Purdue in the second half. 1.39 ppp in second half. Yuck.

Yuck is correct.  At the end of the day it's about buckets. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2022, 09:58:04 AM »
Perhaps MU just got a little tired.  Little production or minutes off the bench other than Joplin.  Purdue found energy from their crowd.

I think this was it.  Too much running around and not enough stops while also only forcing 6 turnovers.

If your running and pressuring all game and only forcing 6 TOs you're in trouble.
VIOLENCE!

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2022, 10:05:13 AM »
All and all, it was a good competitive game.
Now MU knows what a step up in competition looks like and being on the road.
Looking forward to the newer players getting more minutes and experience.
LIU may be able to give the newer players more time on the floor.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2022, 10:06:17 AM »
It all comes down to making baskets. When we had success last year it was due to a quick start and making baskets. Time will tell if this team can shoot the ball on a more consistent basis or not, but I am not worried about them getting open looks. As has been noted in multiple threads, Kolek, Omax and others need to shoot the ball better as a whole for this team to have real success.

The D is going to be there, and I am less worried about rebounding than I was last season. I do think there is zero question that the whole team is signed on to be part of Shaka's system. If they put that energy on the D side of the ball on a regular basis they will force turnovers, IMO. If multiple guys shoot well they will have a legit chance to beat any BE team this season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2022, 10:07:49 AM »
I think this was it.  Too much running around and not enough stops while also only forcing 6 turnovers.

If your running and pressuring all game and only forcing 6 TOs you're in trouble.

Minutes distribution played into it, too.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2022, 10:19:31 AM »
Minutes distribution played into it, too.

Yep. If we are going to play this style of basketball, then Ross, Sean, Gold, Wrightsil, and Itejere need to be good enough to combine for at least 35 minutes a game. Now those are 5 players playing in their third game of D1 basketball so I'm far from writing them off.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2022, 10:23:51 AM »
Agree completely

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2022, 10:32:37 AM »
it's one game but offensively we have to get more from OMax and Mitchell.  I truly think they're capable but I'd like to see them far more aggressive and less hesitant.  Because if they are playing 25 mins, and can't score in the h-c, it's a problem that's not just going to go away.  These are the two players I would like to see make a concerted effort to score in the paint or get to the FT line.    I would also use Oso more in the high and wide post.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2022, 10:41:35 AM »
Oso was moving all over the perimeter with the ball last night.     We would all like to see Stevie and Omax make more shots.    Several open corner 3's went wanting.     In regards to last night and getting to the basket, I am going to give Edey's presence most of the credit.    7'4 is not something anybody is used to.   He emphatically blocked several shots.    And he was clearly in the heads of MU several times on drives that he did not block.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2022, 10:45:05 AM »
Oso was moving all over the perimeter with the ball last night.     We would all like to see Stevie and Omax make more shots.    Several open corner 3's went wanting.     In regards to last night and getting to the basket, I am going to give Edey's presence most of the credit.    7'4 is not something anybody is used to.   He emphatically blocked several shots.    And he was clearly in the heads of MU several times on drives that he did not block.

Soft
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2022, 10:48:20 AM »
Last 5 minutes, MU was definitely not the same team that played the previous 35 minutes.  But it happens.  The great comeback against Villanova with Reinhardt and Rowsey that year, Villanova looked the same way where they couldn't buy a basket in the last 5 minutes.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »
Yep. If we are going to play this style of basketball, then Ross, Sean, Gold, Wrightsil, and Itejere need to be good enough to combine for at least 35 minutes a game. Now those are 5 players playing in their third game of D1 basketball so I'm far from writing them off.
Walk on type minutes for Itejere. I wouldn’t expect any contribution more than that.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2022, 11:35:09 AM »
Realistically, I don’t think we can expect much more offensively from this group. A few of the guys will probably have a little more success at the rim when there isn’t a 7’4 center there, but I’m definitely not counting on Kolek, Omax, or Mitchell improving their outside shot much. In order to win last night, MU would have needed a little offensive boost from one of the newcomers during that second half drought when the starters were running out of gas.

I thought MU looked like the better team most of the night, which was encouraging. Would be disappointed/surprised if they aren’t a top 5 big east team this year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2022, 12:53:52 PM »
Walk on type minutes for Itejere. I wouldn’t expect any contribution more than that.

Oh I agree
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2022, 01:05:33 PM »
Purdue’s bench consists of a grad transfer PG, a redshirt junior (4th year in the program) and the 2021 2 best HS players in the state of Indiana. Their bench is um better to say the least.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2022, 01:32:47 PM »

The point of this defense and press is not to force turnovers. This is not Havoc. The press in the Violence defense is used to delay the opponents and slow them getting into their offense. We press to run the shot clock down so that by the time the opponents gets into their offense, there are only around 18 seconds left on the shot clock. It is not, and never has been, about turnovers. If Shaka wanted us to be elite at turning teams over, we would be. See his VCU teams. But we would also be among the national leaders in fouls and free throw rate against. He has said multiple times that style is no longer feasible with current rules and as such has changed the focus of our press.

The number of opportunities created was not the problem. The 15 offensive rebounds gave us more than enough extra chances, the problem was not converting those extra chances.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2022, 01:50:02 PM »
The point of this defense and press is not to force turnovers. This is not Havoc. The press in the Violence defense is used to delay the opponents and slow them getting into their offense. We press to run the shot clock down so that by the time the opponents gets into their offense, there are only around 18 seconds left on the shot clock. It is not, and never has been, about turnovers. If Shaka wanted us to be elite at turning teams over, we would be. See his VCU teams. But we would also be among the national leaders in fouls and free throw rate against. He has said multiple times that style is no longer feasible with current rules and as such has changed the focus of our press.

The number of opportunities created was not the problem. The 15 offensive rebounds gave us more than enough extra chances, the problem was not converting those extra chances.

Then we need to stick with the press all game, but be less aggressive in it.  Less run and jump, less hard traps, more just make them throw it back and forth 3 times before getting it across half court and pick up your man immediately when they do, rather than run to a trap once or twice beyond half court.  If we aren't going to create turnovers with it, then we need to also not have it be so aggressive that it gives our opponent wide open threes and/or dunks at the back end.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »
Think we just ran out of gas.  It showed in the 5 minute drought, but also on the defensive end giving up 26 points the last 9 minutes + change (only 4 of which were from fts when we were extending the game).

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2022, 03:51:37 PM »
Good game.  Too bad we ran out of gas at the end of the game.  Sign of a young team.  It will get better as roles become more defined.  Need 1 or 2 more players to step up during the course of this year.

Having said that, I don't care if he is or is not injured, Wrightsil is a big miss.  You bring in a player for one year, the expectation is that they produce and produce right away.  Even without an injury, I can't say Wrightsil was going to be an impact player.  Huge miss by Shaka.  He needed to identify and secure an impact player that would have been the one to help close games like this one out with a big win and help this young team grow.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2022, 04:01:02 PM »
Good game.  Too bad we ran out of gas at the end of the game.  Sign of a young team.  It will get better as roles become more defined.  Need 1 or 2 more players to step up during the course of this year.

Having said that, I don't care if he is or is not injured, Wrightsil is a big miss.  You bring in a player for one year, the expectation is that they produce and produce right away.  Even without an injury, I can't say Wrightsil was going to be an impact player.  Huge miss by Shaka.  He needed to identify and secure an impact player that would have been the one to help close games like this one out with a big win and help this young team grow.

Agree with this.  Your last paragraph sums up the correct thinking behind renting a player for one year.  There is zero reason to bring in a project that is less talented than a teams current freshman.  Experienced high level talent (D1) should be a prerequisite. But we should all give Shaka the benefit of the doubt on this. Wrightsil may still work out in the end.