[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Needed a blue pill......  (Read 6588 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Needed a blue pill......
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2022, 09:40:46 PM »
why would anyone apoligize for saying jop needs to sit a for awhile in the first half? he was struggling and thats how it works. no one said bench him for the game or season. odd point idk what u expext so see in a game thread

I expect to see a fair amount of idiocy in the game thread and it rarely disappoints. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2022, 09:41:54 PM »
The outside shooting is a major concern.

And they have to get OMax going or it's gonna be really tough to compete in the league.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2022, 09:42:25 PM »
Best rebounding from Shaka's team in his tenure at MU?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2022, 09:42:35 PM »
I think Joplin showed he is our main guy off the bench against quality teams. We got absolutely nothing from the freshman tonight with the the exception of Gold picking up extra fouls to give Oso a breather

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2022, 09:42:57 PM »
why would anyone apoligize for saying jop needs to sit a for awhile in the first half? he was struggling and thats how it works. no one said bench him for the game or season. odd point idk what u expext so see in a game thread

You're right.   I should know better.    I will stay out of the game threads going forward.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2022, 09:43:21 PM »
Tyler Kolek was very poor down the stretch too.

Pretty sure he played all 20 in the second half and he played fine.  Kam has some really questionable early in the shot clock 26 footers.  Love Kam, but he's a better shooter in the rhythm of a possession than just launch a 26 footer Markus Howard styel.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2022, 09:43:35 PM »
Thought the team played well. Ran out of steam in the stretch. Hopefully the genre can lead. From the experience .

Team was well prepared for the game

The (often) late fade.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2022, 09:44:52 PM »
Shot selection is so terrible too often.  Even Raftery couldn’t put a humorous spin on Jones launching early in the shot clock with about two minutes left.  You can’t do that and expect to beat good teams. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2022, 09:46:43 PM »
  • Purdue got lucky. We were clearly the better team for 35 minutes, then they escaped.
  • Really handled Edey well. He got numbers, but considering what a mismatch he was, we did fine.
  • Kolek's rebounding has really helped mitigate the loss of Justin Lewis.
  • Maybe he's not healthy yet, but Wrightsil looks out of his depth.
  • Kam and Jop have an explosive, DJO/Jae kind of vibe. They could be a special scoring combo.
  • We need to find ways to finish, but if we do we can compete for this league in a down Big East.
  • Oso gave me a lot of hope tonight. Did fine defending Edey, and Point Oso was a clear success.
  • 20+ wins & NCAA tourney is clearly the expectation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2022, 09:47:51 PM »
I'm really liking this squad. No one wins at Mackey so a tough ask regardless. They played well and weren't intimidated by the crowd. Oso has come along nicely. Dare I say, most likely to play in the league?

OMG, another MU player to the NBA.  Just like the Omax getting drafted next year. 

Eight minutes left in game, MU up six.  Ross misses shot, offensive rebound, Ross misses again, offensive rebound, Ross misses wide open corner three.  Purdue goes down and hits a three, cutting it to three point lead.  MU deflated.

MU then scores two points, two points in the next seven minutes.  That was the game. 

If Shaka wants them to toss up threes, so be it, but Jones and Joplin are only players that have a chance.  Kudos to Joplin tonight after bad start.  Did not give up on himself.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2022, 09:48:13 PM »
Pretty sure he played all 20 in the second half and he played fine.  Kam has some really questionable early in the shot clock 26 footers.  Love Kam, but he's a better shooter in the rhythm of a possession than just launch a 26 footer Markus Howard styel.

Exactly. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2022, 09:50:08 PM »
  • Purdue got lucky. We were clearly the better team for 35 minutes, then they escaped.
  • Really handled Edey well. He got numbers, but considering what a mismatch he was, we did fine.
  • Kam and Jop have an explosive, DJO/Jae kind of vibe. They could be a special scoring combo.
  • We need to find ways to finish, but if we do we can compete for this league in a down Big East.
  • Oso gave me a lot of hope tonight. Did fine defending Edey, and Point Oso was a clear success.

Purdue did not get lucky. They took advantage of our extremely poor shooting and poor shot selection down the stretch.

Overall good performance. Just need to string together forty minutes. Not a surprise we lost our composure against a good team in our first road game, playing in one of the most difficult away venues in cbb.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2022, 09:50:19 PM »

Agreed.  It was obvious and he came back strong in the 2nd half. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2022, 09:50:39 PM »
OMG, another MU player to the NBA.  Just like the Omax getting drafted next year. 

Eight minutes left in game, MU up six.  Ross misses shot, offensive rebound, Ross misses again, offensive rebound, Ross misses wide open corner three.  Purdue goes down and hits a three, cutting it to three point lead.  MU deflated.

MU then scores two points, two points in the next seven minutes.  That was the game. 

If Shaka wants them to toss up threes, so be it, but Jones and Joplin are only players that have a chance.  Kudos to Joplin tonight after bad start.  Did not give up on himself.

They were good looks, but Chase should've followed Kolek in because he would've been able to throw down a monster dunk. That possession was a killer.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2022, 09:55:05 PM »

I feel pretty good about the team after today’s game as well.  I think they panicked down the stretch chucking up all the threes, but hopefully they will learn from this.  And OMax needs to be much better.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2022, 09:55:47 PM »
- Kolek and Oso are our most essential players.  Wish both were more shotmakers.
-Joplin is a shot maker but has major holes in his game
- Shooters need to remain confident but Kam needs to understand shot selection.  Too many empty possessions
- our freshman do not lack confidence.  Ross and Gold let it fly
- loved our energy and very impressed by rebounding
- Braden Smith reminded me of Kolek.  Tough, crafty players with no fear
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Boone

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2022, 09:57:54 PM »
Kolek and Mitchell still can’t shoot from 3.

Wrightsil: UGH! Looks like big recruiting miss that’ll haunt us all year

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2022, 10:02:48 PM »
Kolek and Mitchell still can’t shoot from 3.

Wrightsil: UGH! Looks like big recruiting miss that’ll haunt us all year

Wrightsil may end up a miss but to claim he absolutely is after 3 games and it will "haunt us all year" is pretty dumb. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2022, 10:03:21 PM »
young raw team only get better.

You could say the same about Purdue - their guards are young and impressed me. 

Overall pleased with the game.  Shaka's teams are gonna the chuck the ball, if it goes in, great.  Only a tiny bit scared Painter gave other coaches the blueprint of going small to keep everyone connected to our guys.  But not everyone has as many good guards as Purdue.

My Purdue buddy was really impressed with Kolek.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2022, 10:08:05 PM »
When 3 or 4 players on the floor cannot score beyond five feet it makes things really tough.  I saw some significant hesitancy from multiple guys.  At the end of the day it's about buckets. 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2022, 10:09:59 PM »
Vander:

He’s in over his head. Should be obvious to even you

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2022, 10:12:25 PM »
Vander:

It's possible he's not healthy yet, and we've seen transfers get written off early before becoming major contributors (Trent Lockett), but his first couple appearances aren't encouraging.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2022, 10:19:41 PM »
Vander:

After what we've seen over the years, writing off a transfer coming off an injury after 3 games after the coach said not to expect much early is idiotic. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2022, 10:26:21 PM »
Do you guys think Purdue is much of a threat this year?   I honestly don't see it. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2022, 10:26:37 PM »
I felt MU played well but had too many scoring gaps, Turnovers, and just bad shot selection. I think Chase fired up three shots on one possession where we didn’t run any offense after consecutive offensive rebounds.

To me Purdue seemed middle of the road big ten. Their offense is Edey. Don’t get me wrong that is effective but I don’t think they can win without him scoring a ton which will just get harder for him. Smith had a good second half but outside of that nothing special.

I think had MU played them later in the non-Conf MU pulls out the victory. 

Oso is looking better every year, day, and game. He played 35 minutes mostly against Edey and picked up two fouls. We needed a second big other than Gold. That was a big request of him and it showed with 4 fouls in 5 minutes.

feedback