[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Who should be the 6th Man?

Chase Ross
51 (54.8%)
Sean Jones
6 (6.5%)
David Joplin
36 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Voting closed: November 11, 2022, 10:39:42 AM

Author Topic: 6th Man  (Read 5227 times)

jfp61

• All American
Re: 6th Man
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2022, 09:39:09 AM »
Yup.  And short guys struggle in the NBA, too.

My philosophy as an NBA GM would be to never take a guard under 6'5" in the top 5-10. When your a bad team you need a difference maker, someone to put you in title contention. Outside of Wade and Curry there hasn't been a short NBA guard that has really lead their team to a finals. All the best players are taller.

Would it suck missing on AI and Ja Morant certainly, but you are better of looking for that transcendent start with taller players.

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2022, 09:46:58 AM »
My philosophy as an NBA GM would be to never take a guard under 6'5" in the top 5-10. When your a bad team you need a difference maker, someone to put you in title contention. Outside of Wade and Curry there hasn't been a short NBA guard that has really lead their team to a finals. All the best players are taller.

Would it suck missing on AI and Ja Morant certainly, but you are better of looking for that transcendent start with taller players.

Ben Simmons
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2022, 09:53:31 AM »

I wouldn't hate having Steve Nash or Chris Paul run my team for years.  Obviously height helps in almost all major sports.  That's why most players who are drafted high are taller.  But if you've proven you're one of the top draft prospects despite being short, I can't think of many who failed because of their lack of height.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2022, 10:00:38 AM »
I wouldn't hate having Steve Nash or Chris Paul run my team for years.  Obviously height helps in almost all major sports.  That's why most players who are drafted high are taller.  But if you've proven you're one of the top draft prospects despite being short, I can't think of many who failed because of their lack of height.

Stockton, too. Lillard ain't bad, either.

If we're gonna limit "greatness" only to those who have led their team to NBA titles, we're sure leaving out a lot of great players, regardless of height.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2022, 10:06:02 AM »

I mean...Steph Curry.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2022, 10:07:12 AM »

I mean...Steph Curry.

He said outside of curry... I don't think he meant the spice
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2022, 10:09:32 AM »
He said outside of curry... I don't think he meant the spice

Yeah I missed that.

But even then, "outside of two of the two 75 players in NBA history, no one else has really done it."  OK.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2022, 10:30:30 AM »
Wait until Muggsy gets caught up in this thread.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2022, 10:32:52 AM »
I would love to see a pro basketball league where there was a 6ft height maximum. I think that'd be more entertaining than the three v three. It'd be like weight classes in fighting sports except with height.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2022, 01:39:10 PM »
Wait until Muggsy gets caught up in this thread.
LOL
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2022, 01:42:56 PM »
Isaiah Thomas.   With Dumars and Vinnie Johnson.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2022, 01:56:14 PM »
Isaiah Thomas.   With Dumars and Vinnie Johnson.

Great call.

Stars - especially Thomas, truly an all-time great - and champions, too.

Odds are against guys who are under 6-4 or 6-5 -- especially for guys who will be role players or on the fringe of making a roster at all -- but the greats are the greats.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2022, 02:02:24 PM »

Nash was picked 15th.

Missing on Chris Paul would suck. But honestly how would anyone know how appalling that draft would be after him. Also Chris Paul requires a whole high level team around him to in order to be competitive in the playoffs. So as great as he would be it is probably better to stupidly pick Marvin Williams and then stumble into Al Horford a few year later. Like Atlanta did.

Also a Chris Paul is the worst case scenario for this strategy.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »
Nash was picked 15th.

Missing on Chris Paul would suck. But honestly how would anyone know how appalling that draft would be after him. Also Chris Paul requires a whole high level team around him to in order to be competitive in the playoffs. So as great as he would be it is probably better to stupidly pick Marvin Williams and then stumble into Al Horford a few year later. Like Atlanta did.

Also a Chris Paul is the worst case scenario for this strategy.

I mean yeah.  How many teams in the history of the NBA are competitive in the Playoffs without having a "whole high level team" around one player?

I just don't think being 6' to 6'3" makes you undraftable.  If you've proven yourself to the point where you're a first round/lottery pick player, then you can play.  I'm not drafting Thon Maker over some little guard just because Thon's 7' and the other guy isn't.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2022, 06:42:35 PM »

Nash and Santa Clara sure $h¥t  the bed at the hands of Mike Deane’s xxxxx’s and oooooo’s eh? Or was that game early-on in Crean’s tenure? I was at the game with my Dad, and if you’d have told us right then and there that he would rise to NBA stardom, we both would’ve laughed at the time. Most at MECCA that night would’ve.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 06:45:55 PM by GoFastAndWin »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2022, 12:13:13 PM »
Nash and Santa Clara sure $h¥t  the bed at the hands of Mike Deane’s xxxxx’s and oooooo’s eh? Or was that game early-on in Crean’s tenure? I was at the game with my Dad, and if you’d have told us right then and there that he would rise to NBA stardom, we both would’ve laughed at the time. Most at MECCA that night would’ve.

Nash graduated Santa Clara in 1996.  He would've played us at the Bradley Center, not MECCA.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2022, 02:57:10 PM »
Nash graduated Santa Clara in 1996.  He would've played us at the Bradley Center, not MECCA.

Not that game. Scheduling conflict at the BC. MU put the clamps on Nash and ran away with it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2022, 03:56:55 PM »
I went thru this thread pretty quickly so forgive me if someone already said this.

The 6th man on this team doesn’t matter. Different guys will fill that role at different times this year.

It may be Joplin for his shooting, Sean Jones for his speed and playmaking, Stevie for his defense, Ross for his multiple skills.

IOW, there won’t be one guy who fulfills the role game after game.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2022, 08:07:03 PM »
I went thru this thread pretty quickly so forgive me if someone already said this.

The 6th man on this team doesn’t matter. Different guys will fill that role at different times this year.

It may be Joplin for his shooting, Sean Jones for his speed and playmaking, Stevie for his defense, Ross for his multiple skills.

IOW, there won’t be one guy who fulfills the role game after game.
So 6th man no matta
Goal is National Championship

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2022, 12:15:08 PM »
I mean yeah.  How many teams in the history of the NBA are competitive in the Playoffs without having a "whole high level team" around one player?

I just don't think being 6' to 6'3" makes you undraftable.  If you've proven yourself to the point where you're a first round/lottery pick player, then you can play.  I'm not drafting Thon Maker over some little guard just because Thon's 7' and the other guy isn't.

Bucks couldn’t draft guards either they took Jimmer 10th. Donte was 17th got traded before people figured out how low his value was. Vaughan was the 17th pick.

The 6’4” 10th overall pick this year is already in the g league.