'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread  (Read 218010 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread
« Reply #325 on: November 24, 2022, 10:47:45 PM »
Idc about numbers.  They are significantly better than Georgia Tech and I don't need numbers to try and tell me otherwise.

You thought Georgia Tech was better than Marquette. You were only wrong by 27 points on that call.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #326 on: November 24, 2022, 10:50:29 PM »
You thought Georgia Tech was better than Marquette. You were only wrong by 27 points on that call.

I never thought they were better.  That's just completely untrue.  I thought they had a chance to win if they kept it close and I thought they would.

If you think Georgia Tech is better than UW you just don't know basketball.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2022, 10:55:41 PM »
Freshman Brandon Miller has 22 points for Alabama against Michigan State with 16 minutes left.

Bigtime player. Alabama looks pretty solid.
VIOLENCE!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2022, 10:55:45 PM »
I never thought they were better.  That's just completely untrue.  I thought they had a chance to win if they kept it close and I thought they would.

UWMadison is better than GT but definitely beatable, especially at home.  I think it would be a disappointing loss. MU wins this game and cements itself as a potential tournament team in the next two weeks. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2022, 10:58:17 PM »
UWMadison is better than GT but definitely beatable, especially at home.  I think it would be a disappointing loss. MU wins this game and cements itself as a potential tournament team in the next two weeks.

Hope you're right.  They definitely have a chance to beat them, but if I had to pick I would pick against it because we don't have evidence that they can beat a good team.
VIOLENCE!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2022, 11:00:36 PM »
Hope you're right.  They definitely have a chance to beat them, but if I had to pick I would pick against it because we don't have evidence that they can beat a good team.

What good team has Wisconsin beaten?  And don't say Dayton. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2022, 11:07:01 PM »

They did go on the road and handle Purdue for 30 min.  Now, I’ll give you that they did not win but it was fairly good indicator that they can win at home against an opponent that, in my opinion, is superior to Wisconsin.  The season is not far enough along for your argument “ that hey haven’t beaten a good team” to hold water.  Nor is there enough data to disprove your opinion. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #332 on: November 24, 2022, 11:08:53 PM »
They did go on the road and handle Purdue for 30 min.  Now, I’ll give you that they did not win but it was fairly good indicator that they can win at home against an opponent that, in my opinion, is superior to Wisconsin.  The season is not far enough along for your argument “ that hey haven’t beaten a good team” to hold water.  Nor is there enough data to disprove your opinion.

It will be a pick 'em game or more likely MU favored by 3 at Fiserv.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #333 on: November 24, 2022, 11:12:27 PM »
😭
for what’s it’s worth, and realizing I’m late to this conversation, but agree with your analogy.,Laws, rules, regulations…there for a reason. Don’t have to agree with them, some probably quite ridiculous, but abide by them (reveals character, maybe an inner code on ethics & morality) until that law or reg is revised, changed, or omitted entirely.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #334 on: November 24, 2022, 11:19:17 PM »
It will be a pick 'em game or more likely MU favored by 3 at Fiserv.

No doubt Muggs.  I expect a line that is similar to what you are predicting but I think MU wins comfortably.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #335 on: November 24, 2022, 11:20:25 PM »

"I never thought they were better; I just predicted that they'd win. But instead they lost by 24. So now I'll pretend I wasn't really wrong, and I'll say it's other people who don't know basketball."

And of course, you've set up a strawman because nobody here thinks Georgia Tech is better than Madison. OTOH, you were the only Scooper in the "Feeling vs Georgia Tech" thread to pick Marquette to lose (not counting Rico being funny). Well done!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #336 on: November 24, 2022, 11:26:50 PM »
Purdue with a pretty comfortable win against West Virginia.  If they match-up with Gonzaga tomorrow the Edey/Timmie duel will be interesting.  Edey seems pretty laid back. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #337 on: November 25, 2022, 12:12:11 AM »
No offense to Wojo but here would be my list of 10 things he brings to ESPN as a college hoops analyst:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
dude is an emotionless zombie. hasnt changed. espn dont care hes like part.of the 5th string crew.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #338 on: November 25, 2022, 05:22:50 AM »
for what’s it’s worth, and realizing I’m late to this conversation, but agree with your analogy.,Laws, rules, regulations…there for a reason. Don’t have to agree with them, some probably quite ridiculous, but abide by them (reveals character, maybe an inner code on ethics & morality) until that law or reg is revised, changed, or omitted entirely.

Yet we as a society routinely treat certain people whose break laws as heroic figures. Anyone from Jesus of Nazareth, American revolutionaries, civil rights figures, etc.

I am hardly suggesting that Sampson is like these guys, but let’s not pretend that simply following all rules or laws is some symbol of virtue. Forcing change by breaking such rules or laws may at times be the higher ethical position.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #339 on: November 25, 2022, 05:41:44 AM »

Yet we as a society routinely treat certain people whose break laws as heroic figures. Anyone from Jesus of Nazareth, American revolutionaries, civil rights figures, etc.

I am hardly suggesting that Sampson is like these guys, but let’s not pretend that simply following all rules or laws is some symbol of virtue. Forcing change by breaking such rules or laws may at times be the higher ethical position.

Generally speaking yes.  But in Samsons case there was no ethical position or virtue.  He was cheating to get a leg up on the competition.  Other coaches followed the rule to their detriment because of coaches like Sampson because it was the rule set out by the NCAA.  That is the only way to look at it.

Now does it amount to a speeding ticket or rolling through a stop sign?  Sure.  But ethical and virtuous?  Not a chance.

Glad the rule has changed.  It was stupid. He’s a great coach. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #340 on: November 25, 2022, 05:54:22 AM »

Al and Rick did this...not Sampson.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #341 on: November 25, 2022, 06:00:17 AM »
Generally speaking yes.  But in Samsons case there was no ethical position or virtue.  He was cheating to get a leg up on the competition.  Other coaches followed the rule to their detriment because of coaches like Sampson because it was the rule set out by the NCAA.  That is the only way to look at it.

Now does it amount to a speeding ticket or rolling through a stop sign?  Sure.  But ethical and virtuous?  Not a chance.

Glad the rule has changed.  It was stupid. He’s a great coach. 

I agree with you. I was simply countering Viper’s point that it shows character to follow rules that are “ridiculous” and “silly.” And that you should simply wait for them to change.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #342 on: November 25, 2022, 07:59:25 AM »

Call you the landscaper because you stay hedging

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #343 on: November 25, 2022, 12:53:02 PM »
The Badgers are the most annoying team in college basketball.  They shoot like crap for 5 games and none of their opponents can hit anything.

They finally play a team that makes shots and suddenly the Badgers can't miss.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #344 on: November 25, 2022, 01:54:42 PM »
The Badgers are the most annoying team in college basketball.  They shoot like crap for 5 games and none of their opponents can hit anything.

I’m fine with the getting it out of their system now.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #345 on: November 25, 2022, 01:56:52 PM »

Watched second half. Connor Essegian is going to be annoying AF. But not very impressed with UW-Madison.

Our guards should be able to disrupt Hepburn and Essegian. OMax neutralizes Wahl. After those three they don’t have much.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #346 on: November 25, 2022, 02:43:50 PM »
They have enough to beat MU, ask Kansas how easy it is to score on the Badgers?  MU can easily win as 3’s are given, but there off Badgers win easily.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #347 on: November 25, 2022, 02:56:29 PM »
They have enough to beat MU, ask Kansas how easy it is to score on the Badgers?  MU can easily win as 3’s are given, but there off Badgers win easily.

UW plays up or down to their opponent.  They are good at finding a way.  You don't win 70% of games almost every year by accident. Make it ugly and don't make mistakes late is their motto.

I think if we try and shoot 3s to beat them it could get ugly.  Just take the open ones and attack the rim. I trust Kolek and Oso to set up their teammates, the teammates just have to produce.

On a slightly more concerning note for the Big East...Nova down 8 to Portland at half. Yikes.
VIOLENCE!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #348 on: November 25, 2022, 02:59:34 PM »
What's with the blimp angle for these Portland games on ESPN?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #349 on: November 25, 2022, 04:00:27 PM »
Notre Dame lit it up for 20 first half points against the Bonnies..  I would like to hit the trifecta and dispose of Baylor, Wisky, and ND.

feedback