[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469567 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Big East 23-24 Results
« Reply #5600 on: February 28, 2024, 10:33:36 AM »
Cooley is not blaming anyone--credit to him for steering clear of this. The NIL talk is a little premature (lots of "sources" from bloggers and not much else), but there's more institutional rot than he probably envisioned: the fan base is visibly shrinking (down by half in the past decade), local support isn't there including DC recruits; student interest, even less so. The Washington Post no longer covers games. Its last sellout was 11 years ago.

In its first 110 years of basketball, Georgetown had just one 20-loss season. With its next loss, Georgetown will have its third consecutive 20-loss season. It cannot continue to spend like a Top 25 program with the revenue base it does not have without reaching a point where such spending is unsustainable.
Mr. Cooley has the ability to bring in strong recruiting classes and transfers. My guess is we see that in Year 2. Next season the results should be much improved and I believe the Hoyas will be back to being an upper half team in The Big East with fan support and interest.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5601 on: February 28, 2024, 10:43:31 AM »
Mr. Cooley has the ability to bring in strong recruiting classes and transfers. My guess is we see that in Year 2. Next season the results should be much improved and I believe the Hoyas will be back to being an upper half team in The Big East with fan support and interest.

Cooley and Company  ::) (you abandoned Mr. Ed, Herman!) may be quite a bit better but the bar is so low that this would be nothing to brag about. Now about your "with fan support and interest"...where and when has a fan base magically reappeared when a team has risen from their long confinement to their conference's cellar?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5602 on: February 28, 2024, 10:44:46 AM »
OK, experts on such things ...

What results (in addition to Marquette crushing The Provi) do we want in tonight's Big East games?

Seton Hall at Creighton
St. John's at Butler
DePaul at Xavier
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5603 on: February 28, 2024, 10:49:17 AM »

What results (in addition to Marquette crushing The Provi) do we want in tonight's Big East games?

Seton Hall at Creighton
St. John's at Butler
DePaul at Xavier

Guessing X, Butler and Creighton.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5604 on: February 28, 2024, 11:00:56 AM »

Seton Hall at Creighton
St. John's at Butler
DePaul at Xavier

Seton Hall (Creighton is locked as a Q1/Q1 game, Hall could fall to a Q2/Q3 with bad results, plus I'd rather have UConn and Creighton play each other in the BET semis)
Kind of a toss up but I'd go St. John's (could turn the road game from a Q1B to a Q1A win, Butler probably won't fall to Q2/Q3)
Xavier (Depaul will never not be a Q4/Q4 game. X is biggest threat to drop to a Q2/Q3 game with a NET of 64)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5605 on: February 28, 2024, 11:03:55 AM »
Guessing X, Butler and Creighton.

You’re far from the only one.

But I do not understand why people are not seeing we clearly want Hall over a Creighton tonight
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5606 on: February 28, 2024, 11:04:25 AM »
Seton Hall (Creighton is locked as a Q1/Q1 game, Hall could fall to a Q2/Q3 with bad results, plus I'd rather have UConn and Creighton play each other in the BET semis)
Kind of a toss up but I'd go St. John's (could turn the road game from a Q1B to a Q1A win, Butler probably won't fall to Q2/Q3)
Xavier (Depaul will never not be a Q4/Q4 game. X is biggest threat to drop to a Q2/Q3 game with a NET of 64)

Given Hall is closer to us in the standings could you explain the Creighton over hall reasoning more? Is it based on an expected win tonight?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5607 on: February 28, 2024, 11:08:31 AM »
You’re far from the only one.

But I do not understand why people are not seeing we clearly want Hall over a Creighton tonight

I'm not sure I'd agree with it, but Creighton staying Q1A would be the train of thought.  Plus I guess if SH's metrics really took a hit between @CU and @UConn, they still have DePaul at home to correct it, and it would really take some blow outs to drop them 15 spots at this point of the year. 

Other than DePaul who we want to be blown out every time they step on the court, they're all pretty minimal impact games at this point IMO.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5608 on: February 28, 2024, 11:15:40 AM »
I'm not sure I'd agree with it, but Creighton staying Q1A would be the train of thought.  Plus I guess if SH's metrics really took a hit between @CU and @UConn, they still have DePaul at home to correct it, and it would really take some blow outs to drop them 15 spots at this point of the year. 

Other than DePaul who we want to be blown out every time they step on the court, they're all pretty minimal impact games at this point IMO.

Hall winning keeps their metrics in great shape. Gets them a bid.

Makes it so Creighton basically cannot catch us in BE play

Makes it so that Creighton has a chance to face Uconn in the semis.

Makes it so that Creighton can’t challenge our seed(unlikely anyways)

It’s a no brainer for the Hall tonight.

A hot shooting Creighton can beat uconn, they already have. We want them as the 4.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5609 on: February 28, 2024, 11:23:32 AM »
I want Creighton to win tonight for one simple reason- if they lose, they will vent their frustrations on Marquette. As it is, our chances of a W in Omaha are, to use a British term, "a bit dicey".
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5610 on: February 28, 2024, 11:24:11 AM »
Hall winning keeps their metrics in great shape. Gets them a bid.  Metrics unlikely to significantly move this late, they get a bid with two more wins regardless and still have DeaPaul

Makes it so Creighton basically cannot catch us in BE play.  We take care of business, doesn't matter.

Makes it so that Creighton has a chance to face Uconn in the semis. Excellent point I hadn't considered, haven't looked that far ahead tbh.

Makes it so that Creighton can’t challenge our seed(unlikely anyways). As you said, unlikely.

It’s a no brainer for the Hall tonight.

A hot shooting Creighton can beat uconn, they already have. We want them as the 4.

Mostly agree, just pointing out that I'm not sure it's this clear cut.  Think at this point, regardless of who wins, it doesn't really move the needle much at all.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #5611 on: February 28, 2024, 11:33:53 AM »
What's Marquette's budget?

I do not know for sure, but Goodman mentioned a while back on a show that Nova was $2.5-3M this year and followed it up by UConn and MU are in the ball park of Nova. So an educated guess for MU would be $2-2.5M. It is pretty widely known than Nova, UConn and MU are the top 3 in the BE NIL wise.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #5612 on: February 28, 2024, 11:55:35 AM »
Given Hall is closer to us in the standings could you explain the Creighton over hall reasoning more? Is it based on an expected win tonight?

Most posters seem to be focusing on the potential impact of the Creighton game on MU's NCAA resume.

One reason to hope for Creighton to lose is that it would drop them to 7 losses and increase the possibility that they could end up 4th in the conference and in the bracket with UConn in the BET. That could be positive if you think Seton Hall would be a more favorable matchup for MU in a potential semifinal game. I'm not sure there is that much difference. IMHO MU would be a slight, but not overwhelming favorite over either on the neutral MSG court.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5613 on: February 28, 2024, 11:56:49 AM »

Seton Hall at Creighton
St. John's at Butler
DePaul at Xavier
Blue Jays to win. We want Creighton to continue with top 15 NET ranking for our seeding purpose. High quality wins matter
Johnnies  to Win. We want them in tournament for Benefit of Big East and keeps our wins at Quad 1 and 2
X to win big would help . We want our potential road win to be Quad 1
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #5614 on: February 28, 2024, 12:33:02 PM »
St. John's is the BE team that can realistically help us the most.
Four more spots and our win in NY becomes Q1A.

That alone would bring our Q1A winning percentage much closer to Arizona with at least three more Q1A games than they will have.
And it would give us an outside shot to end the season having played more Q1A's than anyone but Tennessee.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5615 on: February 28, 2024, 12:34:43 PM »
It does not matter as long as Marquette has no losses after Apr 8th.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5616 on: February 28, 2024, 12:48:32 PM »
Thanks all.

It's always fun to have a bit of a rooting interest, so I'll be going for Seton Hall, St. John's and X.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5617 on: February 28, 2024, 01:56:30 PM »
It is pretty widely known than Nova, UConn and MU are the top 3 in the BE NIL wise.

Pretty widely known? Source & specifics?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5618 on: February 28, 2024, 02:49:32 PM »

I don't care if we finished 2nd or 3rd in the BEast. I would like Creighton to finish in 4th if possible
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #5619 on: February 28, 2024, 02:56:17 PM »
I don't care if we finished 2nd or 3rd in the BEast. I would like Creighton to finish in 4th if possible

Bingo. Avoid Creighton and UCONN till Saturday.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5620 on: February 28, 2024, 02:58:47 PM »

Ah got it, I was working off the premise we were still hoping to finish as high as possible. Makes sense now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5621 on: February 28, 2024, 03:14:37 PM »

Seton Hall at Creighton
St. John's at Butler
DePaul at Xavier

Personal thoughts:

1. SH. Agree with others and I would like to avoid Creighton and UConn in the semis. Though, I’ve never once been upset when SH loses a game.

2. SJU. Like Pitino or not, him having a relevant NCAA team is good for the BE. He’s a good ambassador for the league.

3. DePaul. I actually felt bad for those kids seeing how dejected they looked after the Gtown game. Would like to see them experience at least one win lol

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5622 on: February 28, 2024, 03:19:57 PM »
Creighton's second performance against UCONN was certainly impressive, but a healthy Seton Hall looked better to me than the Creighton team we've seen for most of the BE season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5623 on: February 28, 2024, 03:20:19 PM »
Personal thoughts:

1. SH. Agree with others and I would like to avoid Creighton and UConn in the semis. Though, I’ve never once been upset when SH loses a game.

2. SJU. Like Pitino or not, him having a relevant NCAA team is good for the BE. He’s a good ambassador for the league.

3. DePaul. I actually felt bad for those kids seeing how dejected they looked after the Gtown game. Would like to see them experience at least one win lol

No to DePaul

Unless your goal is to make our remaining schedule significantly worse

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #5624 on: February 28, 2024, 03:24:44 PM »

2nd is better cuz it’s a 7pm game rather than a 9:30pm game.

I’m still undecided on if I’m going to the BET this year but either way, 7pm will be much better
Bring back FFP!!!