[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 470185 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 Results
« Reply #5125 on: February 06, 2024, 10:09:05 PM »
UCONN is good.  We must eliminate Spencer.  I'm not advocating violence or anything but we simply cannot allow that kid to get open looks.  Get in his grill and dog him for 40 mins.

Why is this the time youre going soft on us??
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5126 on: February 06, 2024, 10:09:33 PM »
All I know is we must make a concerted effort and eliminate him Dr.B.  He should not be treated with kid gloves.

I am more worried about Clingan and Karaban. Bad match up for MU.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #5127 on: February 06, 2024, 10:14:24 PM »
For some reason I’m not worried about UConn.

Sure, they are good, very good, but so is Marquette.

You’d think that the pressure would fall on Marquette’s shoulders in that 2/17 game as BE Champ, but it won’t because UConn will be #1, at home, defending National Champ.

They will have a lot of incentive to run Marquette out of the building in front of the nation to see on FOX, and things can get out of hand on the road, but I think our guys will play more pressure free than I would’ve expected and I like that.

Gotta beat StJ and Butler first though.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5128 on: February 06, 2024, 10:16:55 PM »

They're a very good team but we can cause issues for them as well.   I do think their A game is better than our A game but we absolutely can punk them in Hartford. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5129 on: February 06, 2024, 10:18:06 PM »
For some reason I’m not worried about UConn.

Sure, they are good, very good, but so is Marquette.

You’d think that the pressure would fall on Marquette’s shoulders in that 2/17 game as BE Champ, but it won’t because UConn will be #1, at home, defending National Champ.

They will have a lot of incentive to run Marquette out of the building in front of the nation to see on FOX, and things can get out of hand on the road, but I think our guys will play more pressure free than I would’ve expected and I like that.

Gotta beat StJ and Butler first though.

100% correct Dr.V.  Take care of business and then come into UCONN fast and loose.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 10:19:50 PM by MuggsyB »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5130 on: February 06, 2024, 10:39:58 PM »
Ill be stunned if we win in Uconn. Have we even been competitive there since they returned to BE?

Get em in Milwaukee at least

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5131 on: February 06, 2024, 11:18:56 PM »

Yep. Karaban especially... He is so good at finding space in their offense.

If Uconn is hitting threes no one is beating them. Gotta hope they're off and MU doesn't get totally run off the boards.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #5132 on: February 06, 2024, 11:55:55 PM »
We can beat UConn. Last year’s UConn team had more talent and we beat them twice. They have won 11 in a row but they haven’t all been pretty; this isn’t the invincible juggernaut people are making them out to be.

I think the key is Oso exploiting Clingan off the dribble and getting him in foul trouble. If we remove the ogre from the middle then I think MU matches up relatively favorably 1-4, and Oso is a lot better than Samson Johnson.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5134 on: February 07, 2024, 07:58:41 AM »
We can beat UConn. Last year’s UConn team had more talent and we beat them twice. They have won 11 in a row but they haven’t all been pretty; this isn’t the invincible juggernaut people are making them out to be.

I think the key is Oso exploiting Clingan off the dribble and getting him in foul trouble. If we remove the ogre from the middle then I think MU matches up relatively favorably 1-4, and Oso is a lot better than Samson Johnson.

I've come around to being close to the bolded, but they are damn good. Didn't Clingan somehow manage to get 4 fouls in 5 minutes recently? We simply must get him somewhat under control and then yes, we can take UCONN down.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #5135 on: February 07, 2024, 09:01:00 AM »
See, Karaban is a worry on offense, but he is easily exposed on Defense. Not quick at all. I remember O-Max driving past him often

Yep. Karaban especially... He is so good at finding space in their offense.

If Uconn is hitting threes no one is beating them. Gotta hope they're off and MU doesn't get totally run off the boards.

Was texting with another MU fan about this upcoming game, and he made a good point. Their most impressive win is UNC on a neutral. Good scheduling of Gonzaga but zags don't have it this year. We all know about Texas.

Lost at Kansas.

We will be their toughest test in quite some time.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5136 on: February 07, 2024, 09:10:48 AM »
Here's how I look it:  Yes, UCONN is a nightmare to beat if they're hitting threes.  There's no doubt about that.  But of the three guys that are capable of making threes Spencer should be the target to stop.  Why?  Because he's their best shooter and he usually doesn't drop the triple going off the bounce and then unloading.  He has more trouble getting his shot off than Newton and Caraban is significantly taller.  If Newton goes off there aren't a lot of answers and Caraban is a very difficult cover inside and out.  Spencer is a guy you can smother imo and pestiferous defenders, with the elimination philosophy, can in fact take him out of his game.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5137 on: February 07, 2024, 09:16:43 AM »

We without question can beat this tean El Guerrero.  It's a difficult challenge for sure but MU has the arsenal to play with them and come out on top.  It will take our A game and a complete performance. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5138 on: February 07, 2024, 09:34:11 AM »
See, Karaban is a worry on offense, but he is easily exposed on Defense. Not quick at all. I remember O-Max driving past him often

Was texting with another MU fan about this upcoming game, and he made a good point. Their most impressive win is UNC on a neutral. Good scheduling of Gonzaga but zags don't have it this year. We all know about Texas.

Lost at Kansas.

We will be their toughest test in quite some time.

Agree about the teams that you listed except Kansas. Their home court advantage is crazy, and their fans are absolutely deafening. There is no shame to losing @ Kansas.

Let's add Seton Hall to the discussion. How did they take down UCONN?

Edit: Visiting St. Johns stayed with them until very late in the game. UCONN has some chinks in its armor.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 09:41:27 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5139 on: February 07, 2024, 09:40:12 AM »
Agree about the teams that you listed except Kansas. Their home court advantage is crazy, and their fans are absolutely deafening. There is no shame to losing @ Kansas.

Let's add Seton Hall to the discussion. How did they take down UCONN?

Injured Clingan.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5140 on: February 07, 2024, 09:42:24 AM »
Injured Clingan.

Oh, that's right. So let's injure him.

Still, SH'S margin was solid, but thanks for the post.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 09:44:06 AM by Scoop Snoop »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5141 on: February 07, 2024, 09:44:14 AM »

We don't say injure here. It's introduce to darkness. We aren't a dirty team.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5142 on: February 07, 2024, 09:50:18 AM »
We don't say injure here. It's introduce to darkness. We aren't a dirty team.

I stand corrected. Mea Culpa.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5143 on: February 07, 2024, 09:59:53 AM »

Still, SH'S margin was solid, but thanks for the post.

It was also their first road conference game.  Those games are tough unless you're playing DePaul or Georgetown.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5144 on: February 07, 2024, 10:02:19 AM »
It was also their first road conference game.  Those games are tough unless you're playing DePaul or Georgetown.

OK, OK. No more reality checks from you please.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5145 on: February 07, 2024, 10:50:06 AM »

I think it was more this. UConn was already down 6 when Clingan went out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5146 on: February 07, 2024, 11:02:46 AM »
UConn got trucked at Seton Hall without Clingan. They barely beat Nova; St. John's played them tough in Hartford; Butler gave them 2 good games.

They're really, really good, probably the best team in country.

We're pretty darn good, too, and fully capable of beating them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5147 on: February 07, 2024, 11:10:56 AM »
UConn got trucked at Seton Hall without Clingan. They barely beat Nova; St. John's played them tough in Hartford; Butler gave them 2 good games.

They're really, really good, probably the best team in country.

We're pretty darn good, too, and fully capable of beating them.

SJU never had a chance to win in the final 10 minutes.

That was with clingan barely playing. Johnson also in foul trouble. And no Karaban.

I’d put that in the really impressive Uconn column

Edit. Missed the Hartford part. But that was no clingan as well.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #5148 on: February 07, 2024, 11:18:19 AM »
It does seem like Clingan has not been as disciplined this year and fouling a lot. Or that's just my eye test when I watch the team.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5149 on: February 07, 2024, 11:20:10 AM »
I think we all realize there are a handful of players you can't eliminate.  Spencer is not Steph Curry. Make sure he doesn't get clean looks and frustrate him to death.

How many times have we seen guys that are not Steph Curry become Steph Curry when they play us.