[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 470270 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 Results
« Reply #4925 on: January 29, 2024, 10:04:18 AM »
FWIW, Chase was bringing his arm overhead to make the X for the "kill" sign on Saturday.  I think he's back within a couple of weeks, possible NMD?

In his presser Shaka said that Chase is cleared for everything but contact. Said he's doing shooting drills, dunking, and "everything you'd do in basketball outside of contact."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4926 on: January 29, 2024, 10:13:54 AM »
I am of the opinion that he may see contact today in order to have him available tomorrow.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4927 on: January 29, 2024, 10:15:48 AM »
In his presser Shaka said that Chase is cleared for everything but contact. Said he's doing shooting drills, dunking, and "everything you'd do in basketball outside of contact."

Aka he could play in the ACC right now but not in the Big East
Maigh Eo for Sam

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4928 on: January 29, 2024, 10:31:35 AM »
Can a conference meet with refs before the season and lay out how they want games called?  Big East fans always say  “the Big East is the toughest league”, Big Ten fans do the same, etc.  Any of this based in fact by direction of the league office on how games are called?  I wouldn’t think so.  But just curious what others think or perceive to be true.

wisblue

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 Result
« Reply #4929 on: January 29, 2024, 10:56:53 AM »
Can a conference meet with refs before the season and lay out how they want games called?  Big East fans always say  “the Big East is the toughest league”, Big Ten fans do the same, etc.  Any of this based in fact by direction of the league office on how games are called?  I wouldn’t think so.  But just curious what others think or perceive to be true.

I have had this debate with Dodds. He would often complain about how “Big East refs” call games.

Of course, there is no such thing as “Big East refs” as those officials are independent contractors who work games in multiple leagues. It isn’t unusual to see a referee working a game in one conference one night and a game in another conference the next night.

IMHO refereeing is hard enough as it is without expecting  officials to apply a different set of standards based on what conference they are in.

Does anyone know if this actually happens, or if it’s in the imagination of fans. Dodds insists that the leagues do provide officials with different points of emphasis that causes them to call things differently from one league to the next.

One thing for sure based on various message boards that I have followed over the years. Fans of all teams think the refs in their conference are the worst and that their favorite teams get the short end more often than not.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4930 on: January 29, 2024, 11:05:32 AM »
I am about 99% sure that the reason for any differentiation in how games are called in the BE, if there is any differentiation at all, is mostly due to style of play.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4931 on: January 29, 2024, 11:07:10 AM »
I have had this debate with Dodds. He would often complain about how “Big East refs” call games.

Of course, there is no such thing as “Big East refs” as those officials are independent contractors who work games in multiple leagues. It isn’t unusual to see a referee working a game in one conference one night and a game in another conference the next night.

IMHO refereeing is hard enough as it is without expecting  officials to apply a different set of standards based on what conference they are in.

Does anyone know if this actually happens, or if it’s in the imagination of fans. Dodds insists that the leagues do provide officials with different points of emphasis that causes them to call things differently from one league to the next.

One thing for sure based on various message boards that I have followed over the years. Fans of all teams think the refs in their conference are the worst and that their favorite teams get the short end more often than not.

The biggest issue I see with how the Big East is generally officiated is that once the less than elite teams get into the tourney, the more physical teams seem to struggle to advance as games get officiated much tighter.  Of course some leagues have a good amount of overlap on refs - see big east refs doing Big Ten games the next night, etc.  But those refs rarely get the big east in tourney games.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4932 on: January 29, 2024, 11:12:53 AM »

I agree that it is highly unlikely and probably too complicated to emphasize specific points to the various crossover referees.  But maybe a general “let them play, only call the obvious fouls” directive?  Probably not, but again I’d like other’s thoughts and appreciate yours Wisblue.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4933 on: January 29, 2024, 01:53:38 PM »
Really, my only complaint is that sometimes a game is called one way for the first half or first 30 minutes, and then all of a sudden it's called completely differently down the stretch.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4934 on: January 29, 2024, 03:11:34 PM »
Really, my only complaint is that sometimes a game is called one way for the first half or first 30 minutes, and then all of a sudden it's called completely differently down the stretch.

Maybe the refs get a call from the league office at halftime telling them to crack down.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4935 on: January 29, 2024, 06:45:21 PM »

panda

• All American
« Reply #4936 on: January 29, 2024, 06:54:32 PM »
FWIW, Chase was bringing his arm overhead to make the X for the "kill" sign on Saturday.  I think he's back within a couple of weeks, possible NMD?

He can certainly return but the risk of dislocation and further damage to the joint space increases significantly.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4937 on: January 29, 2024, 06:55:07 PM »
He told me I had to buy more herbalife.

lol sounds about right

panda

• All American
« Reply #4938 on: January 29, 2024, 06:58:03 PM »

It’s easier for refs to work a certain geographical area because they’re paying their way around the region. So in that case, we see the same guys often. But no, there are no specific referees for each conference.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #4939 on: January 29, 2024, 09:41:37 PM »

There actually is such a thing as "Big East Refs".  The conference has operated its own bureau of officials since 1983. They're listed in the media guide (this one from 22-23).  Turn to page 26:
https://www.bigeast.com/documents/2022/10/17/2022_23_Media_Guide.pdf

And I strongly suspect that John Cahill, the Big East's supervisor of officials, provides guidance on what the league expects from their refs.
https://www.bigeast.com/staff.aspx?staff=22

That's not to say that refs don't often work for multiple conferences. 

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4940 on: January 29, 2024, 10:36:06 PM »
There actually is such a thing as "Big East Refs".  The conference has operated its own bureau of officials since 1983. They're listed in the media guide (this one from 22-23).  Turn to page 26:
https://www.bigeast.com/documents/2022/10/17/2022_23_Media_Guide.pdf

There were Big East refs even before that: Hank Nichols, Tim Higgins, Jim Burr, Dick Paparo, and Larry Lembo, some of which had various ties to the other schools as parents or former staff.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 11:54:23 PM by DFW HOYA »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4941 on: January 30, 2024, 07:39:12 AM »
The Big East and ACC have had a basketball officials alliance with a number of smaller conferences since 2016.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4942 on: January 30, 2024, 07:00:58 PM »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4943 on: January 30, 2024, 08:23:30 PM »
DePaul gets its opening basket of tonight's home game with Seton Hall... at the 12:59 mark of the 1st half.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4944 on: January 30, 2024, 08:53:11 PM »
Shaka said yesterday he hasn't been cleared for contact. Next step is getting cleared for contact and when he does they will get him practicing and see how that goes. Sounds like we are a couple weeks away yet based on those words.

Thanks, doctor.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #4945 on: January 30, 2024, 09:22:58 PM »
Duh Paul down 43 to 20 in front of
200 people.

Great seats available in 2d row, mid Ct

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4946 on: January 30, 2024, 09:24:11 PM »
Thanks, doctor.

Glad to be wrong. There is nothing people in here like more than telling someone they were wrong lol.
VIOLENCE!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4947 on: January 30, 2024, 09:33:46 PM »
Glad to be wrong. There is nothing people in here like more than telling someone they were wrong lol.

Yeah, it’s super fun when someone makes a confident statement that doesn’t make much sense.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4948 on: January 30, 2024, 09:36:08 PM »
Like….maybe we will see Al tonight…..still nope.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4949 on: January 30, 2024, 09:39:57 PM »
Yeah, it’s super fun when someone makes a confident statement that doesn’t make much sense.

"Sounds like" and "maybe" far from guarantees. Chase is back, we are all happy. At least I am!
VIOLENCE!

feedback