Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 470023 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 Results
« Reply #4875 on: January 28, 2024, 11:28:37 AM »
31-7 now for UConn. Hurley needs to be reminded that the US Constitution forbids cruel and unusual punishment.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4876 on: January 28, 2024, 11:34:57 AM »
I'm not sure I've seen 36-7 before In the BEast.  Will XU break 15 by half-time?

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #4877 on: January 28, 2024, 11:47:25 AM »
I'm not sure I've seen 36-7 before In the BEast.  Will XU break 15 by half-time?

What an absolute beat down.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4878 on: January 28, 2024, 11:48:59 AM »
FS1 just had on their bottom line that Xavier was the only team to UCONN twice last year.  Smh.

No doubt referring to the regular season.

Maybe they should have said only BE team not to lose to UConn last year.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 11:54:28 AM by wisblue »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4879 on: January 28, 2024, 11:55:46 AM »
What an absolute beat down.

Like a piñata at a Mexican birthday party.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4880 on: January 28, 2024, 11:56:36 AM »

I’m reminded of the one time we went to the BE Tournament because it came during our daughters’ spring break from MU.

At halftime of their first game MU led St. John’s 39-10.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4881 on: January 28, 2024, 11:59:51 AM »
Nice halftime feature.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4882 on: January 28, 2024, 12:03:00 PM »
I’m reminded of the one time we went to the BE Tournament because it came during our daughters’ spring break from MU.

At halftime of their first game MU led St. John’s 39-10.

Probably the same game my wife and I were at. If so, I think we won by a tad over 30. I posted this before, but a fairly small woman in SJ gear just in front of us loudly cheered on her team non-stop. She was a two-legged megaphone.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4883 on: January 28, 2024, 12:37:57 PM »
What UConn has done to Xavier is criminal
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4884 on: January 28, 2024, 01:25:59 PM »
What did Sean Miller do to deserve that carnage?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 01:39:40 PM by DFW HOYA »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4885 on: January 28, 2024, 01:34:32 PM »
What UConn has done to Xavier is criminal

Ha! Yes it was. UConn was dominant. MU’s defense will have to be just as suffocating for us to have a chance.  Damn they looked good.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4886 on: January 28, 2024, 01:39:16 PM »
If Villanova can't beat us on Tuesday with our 7 man rotation, stick a fork in em, they don't deserve to dance.

(Assuming Kam is out of course)

Kolek
Mitchell
Joplin
Gold
Ighodaro

Lowery
Norman
Maaaaaybe Amadou

I'm excited from our perspective to see this group battle. Young guys gain some experience, Kolek and Oso lead the charge, Joplin and Gold get expanded roles and Stevie is Stevie. Q1 game either way so we have nothing to lose. Should be a blast.
VIOLENCE!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4887 on: January 28, 2024, 01:41:59 PM »
If Villanova can't beat us on Tuesday with our 7 man rotation, stick a fork in em, they don't deserve to dance.

Kolek
Mitchell
Joplin
Gold
Ighodaro

Lowery
Norman
Maaaaaybe Amadou

I'm excited from our perspective to see this group battle. Young guys gain some experience, Kolek and Oso lead the charge, Joplin and Gold get expanded roles and Stevie is Stevie. Q1 game either way so we have nothing to lose. Should be a blast.

You are forgetting Chase
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4888 on: January 28, 2024, 01:47:50 PM »
You are forgetting Chase
He has not been practicing, just some light shooting per Shaka.  Still rehabbing.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4889 on: January 28, 2024, 01:48:29 PM »
You are forgetting Chase

He'll be out a few weeks at minimum yet.
VIOLENCE!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4890 on: January 28, 2024, 01:53:54 PM »

I don’t think he’s back Tuesday but I strongly doubt he’s out 3 more weeks at minimum, either.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4891 on: January 28, 2024, 02:01:33 PM »
I don’t think he’s back Tuesday but I strongly doubt he’s out 3 more weeks at minimum, either.

Shaka said yesterday he hasn't been cleared for contact. Next step is getting cleared for contact and when he does they will get him practicing and see how that goes. Sounds like we are a couple weeks away yet based on those words.
VIOLENCE!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4892 on: January 28, 2024, 02:07:27 PM »
Shaka said yesterday he hasn't been cleared for contact. Next step is getting cleared for contact and when he does they will get him practicing and see how that goes. Sounds like we are a couple weeks away yet based on those words.

We will see but Shaka likes to play poker too.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4893 on: January 28, 2024, 02:35:00 PM »
I agree with the middle paragraph 82.  The players getting more minutes are having to step up their game.  The rotations Shaka has to play with Gold, Joplin and Oso in at the same time are demonstrating a lineup that can rebound and play really good interior defense when needed.  Hell they are even disruptive on the perimeter.  This may not have happened as often with everyone healthy. 

Cant wait for Ross to get back though.  Having that extra athletic lock down defender will be nice when they play UConn twice and  Creighton on the road. 

Hopefully this team is rounding into form.  Just have to keep making threes to keep defenses honest and they should be able to beat anyone.

Yep.
Someone asked Shaka a question about this lineup in the presser (I think Ben, solid question) and Shaka responded with something along the lines of how he was forced into it due to Kam’s injury and how surprised he was that it worked so well.
He then said they would likely be trying it again.

Hopefully it’s not just small sample size and a one off, because if this team can play with those 3 guys on the court at the same time, rebounding and making shots the way they are capable, along with TyKo and any other guard- Kam for the most elite offensive package, Stevie for the added defense, Zaide or Chase for jumbo size plus elite defense- it completely changes the trajectory of this years team and its abilities.

Benny and Joplins abilities to defend and rebound, as well as make some open shots, how pretty quickly become my biggest keys to this team being a Final Four caliber squad.

I just couldn’t help but think to myself on several occasions yesterday “man imagine this team with these bigs playing this way AND TyKo+Kam+Stevie on their games.
Makes me giddy as hell.

As an aside, I also think that Jop/Benny/Stevie improvements that we’ve seen since the injuries allow Chase to fall back into his previous role of elite energy defensive stopper off the bench, which will suit him better after injury and take the pressure off him to jump to that next gear. Any offense/scoring is just icing and the cake and hopefully it comes easier with less pressure.

Sure seems like things are coming together nicely, if we can get “the best backcourt in the country” to play like it!

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4894 on: January 28, 2024, 02:40:18 PM »
I don’t see Ross playing next week if he hasn’t even practiced yet.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Kam Jones playing on Tuesday.

In my younger days I played about 40 years of basketball at various levels of competition and had my share of sprained, twisted, and tweaked ankles. Some were bad enough to keep me sidelined for a week or two, but if Kam felt good enough to try to see if he could go yesterday his injury probably isn’t that bad. With a couple more days of professional treatment he could be ready to go by Tuesday.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4895 on: January 28, 2024, 02:48:16 PM »
I don’t see Ross playing next week if he hasn’t even practiced yet.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Kam Jones playing on Tuesday.

In my younger days I played about 40 years of basketball at various levels of competition and had my share of sprained, twisted, and tweaked ankles. Some were bad enough to keep me sidelined for a week or two, but if Kam felt good enough to try to see if he could go yesterday his injury probably isn’t that bad. With a couple more days of professional treatment he could be ready to go by Tuesday.

Good point. Anybody who's played any amount of hoops has sprained his or her ankle, sometimes fairly badly. But few of us had a medical team working OT to get us healthy.

My daughter had a pretty bad sprain in high school and the injury lingered for 3 weeks. She had an injury in college that she said the day it happened was worse. But she was back within a week thanks in part to a full-time professional training staff. And that was just at the D3 level.

I don't want Kam to play unless he's darn close to 100% because he is too important for the overall goal. But you definitely might be right about our medical/training staff being able to get him right back out there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 04:08:11 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4896 on: January 28, 2024, 03:41:30 PM »
U Conn with Excellent win over X

Will be interesting to see how much X NET goes down. Not necessarily helping The Big East cause
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4897 on: January 28, 2024, 04:26:47 PM »

Ok bruh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4898 on: January 28, 2024, 05:21:50 PM »

Kolek
Mitchell
Joplin
Gold
Ighodaro

Lowery
Norman
Maaaaaybe Amadou

Al will only be playing for the last 2 minutes if we are in a blowout. He is not in any rotation.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4899 on: January 28, 2024, 05:25:04 PM »

It doesn’t sound at all like he’s a couple of weeks away. He’s day-to-day. If he’s cleared for practice this week and he doesn’t have any setbacks it’s not going to take another 2 weeks to be ready.

feedback