'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469821 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 Results
« Reply #4625 on: January 17, 2024, 09:19:45 PM »
DePaul situation is really bad.  There is like 1,000 fans in the stands, if that, and half are Providence sitting behind the bench.

DePaul is about to lose 21 straight BE games, 0-21 and its last BE win was on January 18th, 2023. 

Tony Stubblefield is a strange coach. Just watch him.  He has his hands on his hips and paces up and down the sideline, constantly yelling instructions or something at his players.  He does this on offense and defense and is non stop.  How his players react to this constant barrage of yacking on both sides, must drive them nuts.  Let the guys play and if you need to give some instructions, so be it, but every second…..come on. 

Get rid of Stubblefield now and replace him with the 400 pound assistant coach on the bench. Would love to see him running the sidelines. No way Stubblefield makes it after thi year.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #4626 on: January 17, 2024, 09:20:50 PM »
Meanwhile… Duh Paul down 20 to
Prov at start of 2d half… in front of a
“ crowd “ of maybe 300 people?!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4627 on: January 17, 2024, 10:00:01 PM »
Meanwhile… Duh Paul down 20 to
Prov at start of 2d half… in front of a
“ crowd “ of maybe 300 people?!
DePaul situation is really bad.  There is like 1,000 fans in the stands, if that, and half are Providence sitting behind the bench.

DePaul is about to lose 21 straight BE games, 0-21 and its last BE win was on January 18th, 2023. 

Tony Stubblefield is a strange coach. Just watch him.  He has his hands on his hips and paces up and down the sideline, constantly yelling instructions or something at his players.  He does this on offense and defense and is non stop.  How his players react to this constant barrage of yacking on both sides, must drive them nuts.  Let the guys play and if you need to give some instructions, so be it, but every second…..come on. 

Get rid of Stubblefield now and replace him with the 400 pound assistant coach on the bench. Would love to see him running the sidelines. No way Stubblefield makes it after thi year.

DePaul should consider hiring the next scandal ridden but good perforing Coach that is available. Kelvin Sampson, Chris Beard, Rick Pitino all found people willing to take chances on them. Maybe Gregg Marshall or Huggy Bear would be willing to step in as means to reform their images.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #4628 on: January 17, 2024, 10:10:24 PM »
Stubblefield seems completely clueless

One min to go … DePaul down 38.

They should really just quit.  Close down the program or go D 3.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4629 on: January 17, 2024, 10:13:25 PM »

PC wins 100-62. There are two people sitting in the front three rows behind the scorers table.

Stubblefield is a symptom of a larger problem. Simply replacing him with Tony Harvey is no better than Jerry Wainwright or Oliver Purnell.

DePaul has won one NCAA tournament game since 1989 and hasn't seen the tournament since 2004.

For all the Big East fans who look down at Georgetown and shake their heads at 3,000 a game, DePaul would jump for joy for 3,000 in that building. There is no fan base left and likely no NIL base. Players aren't going there, and if players don't want to go there, coaches won't either, and nothing changes.

Who turns this around?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 10:18:58 PM by DFW HOYA »

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #4630 on: January 17, 2024, 10:19:12 PM »
PC wins 100-62. There are two people sitting in the front three rows behind the scorers table.

Stubblefield is a symptom of a larger problem. Simply replacing him with Tony Harvey is no better than Jerry Wainwright or Oliver Purnell.

DePaul has won one NCAA tournament game since 1989 and hasn't seen the tournament since 2004.

For all the Big East fans who look down at Georgetown and shake their heads at 3,000 a game, DePaul would jump for joy for 3,000 in that building. There is no "core" DePaul fan base left and likely no "core" NIL base. Players aren't going there, and if players don't want to go there, coaches won't either, and nothing changes.

Who turns this around?

A commuter school that doesn’t have a student body that has cared about hoops in decades shouldn’t be in the BE.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4631 on: January 18, 2024, 07:12:32 AM »

For all the Big East fans who look down at Georgetown and shake their heads at 3,000 a game, DePaul would jump for joy for 3,000 in that building. There is no fan base left and likely no NIL base. Players aren't going there, and if players don't want to go there, coaches won't either, and nothing changes.

Who turns this around?

Didn't mean the big man is permanent replacement, just an interim as Stubblefield needs to go now and start an attempt to overall a complete, continuing disaster.  The sooner start, the better.

I have never attended a Depaul game, have no idea what the arena is like or their practice facilities, where the athletes live, etc.  Your point on NIL is valid.  But to have such a losing streak, no NCAA appearances, and attendance issues is an embarrassment to the school itself and the BE.

I actually agree with Hermie that a coach needs to be hired in an attempt to bring in more than the two current players that can actually play basketball. Scandals or not.  The NIL issue may preclude that, but someone has to step forward.

Georgetown a different school.  Cooley will turn it around in time, he already has a Top 15 2024 recruiting class and the portal will be his friend.  People will hop on the Metro and start to fill Capital One Arena again. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4632 on: January 18, 2024, 08:09:37 AM »
DePaul needs to be removed from the BEast.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4633 on: January 18, 2024, 08:11:36 AM »
DePaul should consider hiring the next scandal ridden but good perforing Coach that is available. Kelvin Sampson, Chris Beard, Rick Pitino all found people willing to take chances on them. Maybe Gregg Marshall or Huggy Bear would be willing to step in as means to reform their images.

The coaches you listed did not step into the dogsh!t that you are suggesting that Marshall or Huggy would if they took the job. Those two could do much better. I get the basic idea of a coach getting DP up to a level of semi-competency, but that guy would be a little known coach and use DP as a career stepping stone as a reward for his efforts.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4634 on: January 18, 2024, 08:27:30 AM »

Problem is that it’s a nice extra game that I get to see Marquette play in person every season.

I just wish it was more of a lock than it’s been in the last decade at the AllState/Wintrust.

If there’s a hiccup this season I’m just going to stop going in an attempt to reverse the curse.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4635 on: January 18, 2024, 08:48:30 AM »
Problem is that it’s a nice extra game that I get to see Marquette play in person every season.

I just wish it was more of a lock than it’s been in the last decade at the AllState/Wintrust.

If there’s a hiccup this season I’m just going to stop going in an attempt to reverse the curse.

Loyola would happily be our annual hiccup I'm sure.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4636 on: January 18, 2024, 09:02:57 AM »
I’m at the point where I think having legit discussions about excommunicating DePaul from the Big East is warranted, even if it’s just a threat to begin with to try and get them to be serious.

We’re going on 20 years of not being ranked.  They’ve made 2 tournament appearances this century, none since joining the Big East.  Asking them to reach Providence level of respectability shouldn’t be a tall task.

The attendance numbers are an embarrassment to the league.  The apathy in the community is embarrassing and a massive problem.

It’s easy to say they need their Tom Crean or Kevin O’Neill but even Marquette at their deepest depths did not have a run of futility this lengthy that lead to this much institutional apathy.  Is there a historical equivalent of what has happened to DePaul where a once thriving program has been resurrected after nearly 30 years of irrelevance?

Kicking them out isn’t likely.  Whatever TV partner the Big East has will still see them as a viable market to sell advertisers and replacing them with a school like Loyola whose gym holds less than 5,000 people isn’t likely.

Having a perennial doormat is one thing.  When it gets this bad, though, asking the questions is a fair thing to do
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4637 on: January 18, 2024, 09:13:02 AM »
Is there a historical equivalent of what has happened to DePaul where a once thriving program has been resurrected after nearly 30 years of irrelevance?

San Francisco's about to take Gonzaga's place in the WCC and return to prominence
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4638 on: January 18, 2024, 09:17:41 AM »
San Francisco's about to take Gonzaga's place in the WCC and return to prominence

Even they’ve had more recent tournament appearances than DePaul.

In seriousness, they need continuity at the head coach spot to do that and they haven’t had that as each of the previous 3 coaches have bolted

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4639 on: January 18, 2024, 09:22:21 AM »

DePaul is #309 in NET this morning. BigEast needs to do something about this. Just having to play them twice brings down everyone else in the conference. If we only beat them by 10 each time instead of 25, it could drop us a seed line or two. They are that bad and nothing is gained by playing them. A bit of hyperbole, but they are terrible for the conference and have been since they joined.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4640 on: January 18, 2024, 09:34:56 AM »

Lars is on it!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4641 on: January 18, 2024, 09:55:14 AM »

Legit embarrassing. WAY past embarrassing. Their fan must be livid. It doesn't take much besides being willing to pay for a coach with a pulse. Stubblefield is in way over his head, no plan, no cohesion, morale in the dumpster. Find a highly successful long time D2 or D3 HC that's had a toe dipped in D1, knows X's & O's, and can coach up lesser guys that are team-focused and at least understand the game. Sell him on this being an underdog opportunity of a lifetime on top of a big raise from his current level. Focus on Indiana 2* & borderline 3* types (for the pedants it doesn't have to be Indiana just a figure of speech), mid-major transfers, build it from the ground up like Butler and Loyola. Or hell a young hungry guy with a couple years' mid major HC experience like Kim English that just took them to the woodshed missing his star player, coming off 4 straight conference losses and treated them like the slump buster they've become. They have to AT LEAST care a little bit at the AD level and up. Stubblefield might be the nicest guy ever. Might be beloved by all as a human being in the building (I have no idea if that's true). Doesn't matter, give him his golden parachute and move on.

I wonder what next Wednesday's crowd will look like. Will MU fans even show up? It's almost like bullying a special ed kid at this point, seems cruel. And 8 p.m. start time, guessing a lot will want to be able to turn it off at half time and go to bed early rather than make the trip downtown to witness a train wreck. I'll be there though! LOL

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4642 on: January 18, 2024, 09:59:26 AM »
DePaul is #309 in NET this morning. BigEast needs to do something about this. Just having to play them twice brings down everyone else in the conference. If we only beat them by 10 each time instead of 25, it could drop us a seed line or two. They are that bad and nothing is gained by playing them. A bit of hyperbole, but they are terrible for the conference and have been since they joined.

100% correct.  Well said. 

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #4643 on: January 18, 2024, 10:06:30 AM »
DePaul attendance will be fixed soon.  MU will have 5,000+ at game next Wednesday.  It would be 8,000 if on a Saturday.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4644 on: January 18, 2024, 10:08:09 AM »
I wonder what next Wednesday's crowd will look like. Will MU fans even show up? It's almost like bullying a special ed kid at this point, seems cruel. And 8 p.m. start time, guessing a lot will want to be able to turn it off at half time and go to bed early rather than make the trip downtown to witness a train wreck. I'll be there though! LOL

I was planning on making the trip down there for the late tip but no longer going out of spite when I saw the ticket prices. They are on average 8x more than the amount of their next game against first place Seton Hall. Not giving DePaul fans any satisfaction of making a dollar off that game.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4645 on: January 18, 2024, 10:10:00 AM »
The coaches you listed did not step into the dogsh!t that you are suggesting that Marshall or Huggy would if they took the job. Those two could do much better. I get the basic idea of a coach getting DP up to a level of semi-competency, but that guy would be a little known coach and use DP as a career stepping stone as a reward for his efforts.
Legit embarrassing. WAY past embarrassing. Their fan must be livid. It doesn't take much besides being willing to pay for a coach with a pulse. Stubblefield is in way over his head, no plan, no cohesion, morale in the dumpster. Find a highly successful long time D2 or D3 HC that's had a toe dipped in D1, knows X's & O's, and can coach up lesser guys that are team-focused and at least understand the game. Sell him on this being an underdog opportunity of a lifetime on top of a big raise from his current level. Focus on Indiana 2* & borderline 3* types (for the pedants it doesn't have to be Indiana just a figure of speech), mid-major transfers, build it from the ground up like Butler and Loyola. Or hell a young hungry guy with a couple years' mid major HC experience like Kim English that just took them to the woodshed missing his star player, coming off 4 straight conference losses and treated them like the slump buster they've become. They have to AT LEAST care a little bit at the AD level and up. Stubblefield might be the nicest guy ever. Might be beloved by all as a human being in the building (I have no idea if that's true). Doesn't matter, give him his golden parachute and move on.

I think going to DePaul for a young up and comer, or some one proven at lower levels is career death. No reason for them to do that, there are better opportunities with much less risk.

Reason I am advocating for the rehabilitation of scandal ridden successful coaches, is that those kind of coaches are Persona Non Grata at other high majors.  So they have no alternatives , and if they want to get into coaching they need to take a chance on DePaul.

Yet reality is the Scandal Crowd  can still coach and recruit well enough and have the connections and ability to recruit transfers etc and jump start the program in a meaningful way.  In the case of DePaul, it has been  proven they can get the program to the  Leitao- Second Term of Office level, which is solid mediocrity  with some competitive strength to have a few upsets each year.  I think Gregg Marshall or Huggy Bear can accomplish that.

Coach Stubblefield was a hire that didn't work out and the sooner  the DePaul AD acknowledges his mistake the better off everyone will be.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4646 on: January 18, 2024, 10:12:49 AM »
Legit embarrassing. WAY past embarrassing. Their fan must be livid.

I saw what you did there.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4647 on: January 18, 2024, 10:15:48 AM »
I was planning on making the trip down there for the late tip but no longer going out of spite when I saw the ticket prices. They are on average 8x more than the amount of their next game against first place Seton Hall. Not giving DePaul fans any satisfaction of making a dollar off that game.

Haha I haven't looked into it yet but guessing stub hub will have <$5 tickets? Or if you bring some spare newspaper you can check the alleyways near the building and exchange it with a bum who was going to use extra tickets as kindling for their old timey trash can fire? Alternatively, you could negotiate with the box office to see if they'd pay you to go in and hopefully do better than break even on concession sales?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4648 on: January 18, 2024, 10:23:49 AM »
Huggy Bear would be a boon to the local economy near DePaul.  Tax revenue on liquor sales would boom.  Of course, could be offset by him killing someone while driving drunk but that’s the risk DePaul might have to take

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4649 on: January 18, 2024, 10:58:26 AM »
This place is gonna be rough after our L at WinTrust aina
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.