'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 470428 times)

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
Re: Big East 23-24 Results
« Reply #4450 on: January 04, 2024, 08:26:41 AM »
It shouldn't be. We are a significantly better team. If we take care of business we win going away.

I'm disappointed any time we lose, but a few of the remaining slate @Uconn, maybe @creighton or @nova would be palatable. Saturday is not one of those palatable games. These games (@X, @SH, @SJU) are games we win if we want to repeat and grab a 1 seed.

I agree, my expectations are maybe too high but I figured no more than 3-4 losses in BE/BET to even have a chance at a 1.  So @PV,@UC,@CR and one more in BET was it for me (or 1 more @ loss and BET win). But even then 6 losses....I don't know...on the edge.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #4451 on: January 04, 2024, 08:35:40 AM »
The one seed is going to come down to the Big 12 IMO. Houston and Kansas one of them will more than likely get a 1 seed if I had to guess its Kansas. Purdue barring injury to Edey is a virtual lock with the resume they have. That leaves Marquette, Houston, Uconn and Tennessee going for the final 2 (1) seeds. Obviously this is if everything holds pat which it wont. I don't see Marquette getting the 1 seed outside going 17-3 in conference. Our resume last year in the non conference was not good at all. The only win worth anything was Baylor. This year we have Kansas, Texas and @ Illinois so we have some wiggle room. If we go 16-4 and win the BET we are a lock.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4452 on: January 04, 2024, 08:39:41 AM »
It shouldn't be. We are a significantly better team. If we take care of business we win going away.

I'm disappointed any time we lose, but a few of the remaining slate @Uconn, maybe @creighton or @nova would be palatable. Saturday is not one of those palatable games. These games (@X, @SH, @SJU) are games we win if we want to repeat and grab a 1 seed.

I will be happy to have Saturday's game in the rear-view mirror and hope you are right. The fact that SH took UCONN down by 15 has me nervous. When our BE brethren have 5 games under the belt, I think we will have a clearer idea of what we will be facing.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4453 on: January 04, 2024, 08:50:55 AM »
The one seed is going to come down to the Big 12 IMO. Houston and Kansas one of them will more than likely get a 1 seed if I had to guess its Kansas. Purdue barring injury to Edey is a virtual lock with the resume they have. That leaves Marquette, Houston, Uconn and Tennessee going for the final 2 (1) seeds. Obviously this is if everything holds pat which it wont. I don't see Marquette getting the 1 seed outside going 17-3 in conference. Our resume last year in the non conference was not good at all. The only win worth anything was Baylor. This year we have Kansas, Texas and @ Illinois so we have some wiggle room. If we go 16-4 and win the BET we are a lock.

Depends on who the wins and losses are against as well as their margins.  It's not going to happen but I would imagine getting swept by DePaul would hurt more than sweeping UConn would help, although it would again depend on margins too.  Too many variables/data points still unknown at this point to say.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4454 on: January 04, 2024, 08:59:06 AM »

I couldn't agree more with your synopsis. It's time to take control of our conference and put to sleep the Hall on Saturday. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4455 on: January 04, 2024, 09:01:10 AM »
I will be happy to have Saturday's game in the rear-view mirror and hope you are right. The fact that SH took UCONN down by 15 has me nervous. When our BE brethren have 5 games under the belt, I think we will have a clearer idea of what we will be facing.

...not to mention the Pirates were picked to finish 9th in the BE. We know what happens when you're picked 9th.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4456 on: January 04, 2024, 09:01:42 AM »
I was stunned how little ball movement Seton Hall has on offense. They basically just set a double high ball screen at the top of the key, Kardary picks a side, one guy rolls and the other guy pops and usually Kadary is just left stuck guarded about 12 feet from the rim.

Their best strategy is to throw the ball in the general direction of the hoop and let Bediako go get it. Hopefully we get a similar rebounding effort to the one that we got in our last game.

Very impressed with Bediakos numbers given his limited success at Santa Clara
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 09:04:03 AM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4457 on: January 04, 2024, 09:02:35 AM »
If our big 3 play like the all-BE-caliber players they are, and if 1-2 of the role players perform well, Marquette can and will beat any team in the league ... with the possible exception of UConn. And I'm not saying we can't beat UConn, because we can (and probably will, at least once), just that they alone among BE schools have the talent to match ours (if Clingan returns at full strength).

But even top players have poor games, especially poor-shooting games. And our role players have had some outstanding games but also lots of duds. So that's the challenge going forward.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4458 on: January 04, 2024, 09:22:51 AM »
Hoping some of these posts age better than when we heard we were a ton better than Wisconsin and Providence and that a team looking for a 1 seed takes care of business in those games.

SH just beat UCONN by 15 at home.  I'm not ready to say we're significantly better than them yet.  We haven't looked all that impressive over our last 4 games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4459 on: January 04, 2024, 09:25:01 AM »
MU is a better basketball team. Hall's style has proven difficult for MU to deal with this season.

I'd take a win any way we can get it Saturday.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4460 on: January 04, 2024, 09:28:54 AM »

I think SJU is better than your giving them credit for but I agree with everything else. Saturday should be a Marquette double digit victory.
VIOLENCE!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4461 on: January 04, 2024, 10:11:52 AM »
Hoping some of these posts age better than when we heard we were a ton better than Wisconsin and Providence and that a team looking for a 1 seed takes care of business in those games.

SH just beat UCONN by 15 at home.  I'm not ready to say we're significantly better than them yet.  We haven't looked all that impressive over our last 4 games.

SH ambushing UCONN is what makes me nervous. No argument with your pregame UW and PC comments. I'm hoping-and thinking-that we will get the W, but doubt that it will be by double digits as at least one scooper has stated.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4462 on: January 04, 2024, 10:19:30 AM »
SH ambushing UCONN is what makes me nervous. No argument with your pregame UW and PC comments. I'm hoping-and thinking-that we will get the W, but doubt that it will be by double digits as at least one scooper has stated.

I was one of the few who didn't think we were head and shoulders above PC or UW. I think we are better, but doesn't mean a win on the road.

I do however think we are head and shoulders above Seton Hall.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4463 on: January 04, 2024, 10:31:08 AM »
VIOLENCE!

1SE

• All American
« Reply #4464 on: January 04, 2024, 10:34:34 AM »

And many of us were substantially disappointed by both of those losses. The team that lost those games isn't a 1 seed.

Torvik has this as the 9th most difficult of our remaining 17 games. Given that we probably need to win at least 14 of those to be in the 1 seed conversation, it is absolutely a game we need to win.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 10:38:06 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #4465 on: January 04, 2024, 10:37:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1742946510625542197?t=rRVOJswfX_P6mRR3W4HD2w&s=19

Hopkins out for the year. Damn...

Always feel bad for a kid.

Sole Surviving Bridge Club Member Didn't Want To Win Like This
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4466 on: January 04, 2024, 10:38:32 AM »
I was one of the few who didn't think we were head and shoulders above PC or UW. I think we are better, but doesn't mean a win on the road.

I do however think we are head and shoulders above Seton Hall.

I get what you are saying. I guess my question is how the Hell did SH beat UCONN by 15. Was it just a really good day for SH and a really bad one for UCONN? That is the sole reason for my nervousness.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4467 on: January 04, 2024, 10:38:46 AM »
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1742946510625542197?t=rRVOJswfX_P6mRR3W4HD2w&s=19

Not surprised.  Hearing his pain and seeing the replay made it fairly obvious.   Good luck, young man.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4468 on: January 04, 2024, 10:39:52 AM »

Huge loss for PU.  First Team All BE, 17ppg and 9rpg.

No real bench guy to take his place and if Oduro gets in foul trouble, PU is in big time trouble.  Probably rely upon a three point barrage now with Floyd becoming a starter. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4469 on: January 04, 2024, 10:41:02 AM »
I get what you are saying. I guess my question is how the Hell did SH beat UCONN by 15. Was it just a really good day for SH and a really bad one for UCONN? That is the sole reason for my nervousness.

UConn shot 19% from three and turned it over a bunch. Once Clingan exited with the injury Hall had their way at the rim. I want to say it was a four point game when he got hurt.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4470 on: January 04, 2024, 10:41:35 AM »

They were utilizing Clingan down low bigtime and he left with injury. Tough to regroup on the road when your primary focus offensively goes out.

Marquette also has Big physical guards to throw at Richmond all day. Not everyone has the bodies we do in the backcourt.
VIOLENCE!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4471 on: January 04, 2024, 10:54:57 AM »
MU is a better basketball team. Hall's style has proven difficult for MU to deal with this season.

I'd take a win any way we can get it Saturday.

Gotta turn them over a buttload like Creighton 2H. I think we will (unless the Jersey refs put us in a hole and we have to play passive)

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #4472 on: January 04, 2024, 11:24:13 AM »
Gotta turn them over a buttload like Creighton 2H. I think we will (unless the Jersey refs put us in a hole and we have to play passive)

The refs have already ejected Stevie Mitchell from the SHU game because he was going to wear number 4.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #4473 on: January 04, 2024, 11:38:58 AM »
Watched a good bit of the SH / Prov game last night. SH works hard on defense bit is limited on offense. They will be a challenge. Not an automatic win for our guys, though they should win it. Prov not the same team without Hopkins.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4474 on: January 04, 2024, 11:52:35 AM »
The refs have already ejected Stevie Mitchell from the SHU game because he was going to wear number 4.

Stevie too? I mean....I get that Shaka has already been tossed as a preemptive move, but Stevie?

feedback