'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 470383 times)

Tyler COLEk

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 Results
« Reply #4100 on: December 15, 2023, 11:10:38 PM »
Why you being so COLE? I would expect better from you.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4101 on: December 15, 2023, 11:13:48 PM »
MU and UConn had two common non conference opponents. MU went 2-0 with 2 blow out wins. UConn went 1-1 with a close win and a close loss. MU won the series last year and returns more. Suggesting that MU is not the conference favorite is COLE. The fact that you can’t see that means you are COLE to the core. I would expect better from you.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #4102 on: December 16, 2023, 12:07:13 AM »
It both simultaneously sucks and is awesome that we have to wait until February to see these two teams match up. Those are going to be some incredibly intense games down the stretch run.

I think we have the edge right now, mostly because Oso is better than Clingan and I don't think they have anyone who can guard Tyler. The big question is whether Castle turns into a real player as the season goes along. If Castle can be a threat alongside Newton and Spencer, they'll be a monster.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4103 on: December 16, 2023, 07:39:10 AM »
Excellent win for U Conn. Looking forward to the opportunity to beat them.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4104 on: December 16, 2023, 08:01:01 AM »
Hurley has done a great job filling out his roster this year and has helped out the team immensely.  Just a different approach than Shaka, who of course only lost one key player.

UCONN lost Hawkins, Sanogo and Alleyne, all key participants in last years run.  Hurley filled out the roster through the portal with addition of Spencer, who is going for 16 ppg and 45% from three.  He also is playing two freshman, Castle and Ball, who get about 20 minutes each per game and big man Johnson, who hardly played at all last year, is giving Clingnan some breaks in each half. 

Shaka didn't make a portal move, probably believing Joplin could take the Omax role and Ross take the last year's version of Joplin role.  MU's freshman, well mainly Norman, basically don't play over three minutes a game. 

Looking forward to BE play and the matchups between UCONN, Creighton, Providence and even Nova playing out. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4105 on: December 16, 2023, 08:07:40 AM »
Hurley has done a great job filling out his roster this year and has helped out the team immensely.  Just a different approach than Shaka, who of course only lost one key player.

UCONN lost Hawkins, Sanogo and Alleyne, all key participants in last years run.  Hurley filled out the roster through the portal with addition of Spencer, who is going for 16 ppg and 45% from three.  He also is playing two freshman, Castle and Ball, who get about 20 minutes each per game and big man Johnson, who hardly played at all last year, is giving Clingnan some breaks in each half. 

Shaka didn't make a portal move, probably believing Joplin could take the Omax role and Ross take the last year's version of Joplin role.  MU's freshman, well mainly Norman, basically don't play over three minutes a game. 

Looking forward to BE play and the matchups between UCONN, Creighton, Providence and even Nova playing out.

The Danny Hurley discourse here the last few years always bemused me.  Dude can build rosters and coach.  He did great work at Rhode Island, a place where bad basketball is a way of life much more often than not.  As long as he is at UConn, they will be a force.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4106 on: December 16, 2023, 08:19:06 AM »
The Danny Hurley discourse here the last few years always bemused me.  Dude can build rosters and coach.  He did great work at Rhode Island, a place where bad basketball is a way of life much more often than not.  As long as he is at UConn, they will be a force.

That's one reason brought it up after watching UCONN a few times.  Just a different philosophy than Shaka in roster rebuilding and after three significant player losses from an NCAA Championship, they are right back in the mix.  Not a criticism of Shaka in any sense, he appears to be a player development type of coach, not an immediate impact player roster filler.  That may be a good thing for each year down the road, see how it works out next year when MU has probable significant players gone.  But this year, UCONN going to be a handful and can't wait for MU first matchup. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4107 on: December 16, 2023, 08:19:44 AM »
It both simultaneously sucks and is awesome that we have to wait until February to see these two teams match up. Those are going to be some incredibly intense games down the stretch run.

I think we have the edge right now, mostly because Oso is better than Clingan and I don't think they have anyone who can guard Tyler. The big question is whether Castle turns into a real player as the season goes along. If Castle can be a threat alongside Newton and Spencer, they'll be a monster.

I'm not sure we have the edge but it's a great match-up with contrasting styles.  We have to turn them over (and get more possessions that way) because they're an excellent rebounding team.  Newton has also played incredible basketball through the non-conf.  The guy that really worries me is Caraban because he can go inside and out.  He's really tough to defend, especially on switches. 

If UCONN makes threes no one is beating them.  That said if we take care of the ball, and win the turns battle significantly, we can absolutely take them out.   If our guards play like the best backcourt in America we can punk them for sure.  But truthfully I think their ceiling is higher and they have a big advantage on the glass and defensively overall. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 08:22:45 AM by MuggsyB »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4108 on: December 16, 2023, 08:35:47 AM »

That's one reason brought it up after watching UCONN a few times.  Just a different philosophy than Shaka in roster rebuilding and after three significant player losses from an NCAA Championship, they are right back in the mix.  Not a criticism of Shaka in any sense, he appears to be a player development type of coach, not an immediate impact player roster filler.  That may be a good thing for each year down the road, see how it works out next year when MU has probable significant players gone.  But this year, UCONN going to be a handful and can't wait for MU first matchup.

My hunch is, Shaka is flexible in roster construction but wants to develop first.  The guys Hurley brought in as transfers aren’t guys we’d tag as burger boys but solid college basketball players who have become studs at UConn.

Like you mentioned in your original post, Hurley is also getting minutes to Samson Johnson, a guy we could call developmental.

If Shaka gets a five star type to Marquette, they’ll play as frosh.  My hunch here is he’ll get a few of these sooner than later

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4109 on: December 16, 2023, 09:02:47 AM »
He may need a point guard next year, not sold on Norman yet and Jones is to small.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4110 on: December 16, 2023, 09:25:58 AM »
If TKO, Oso, and Kam all leave after this year, I'd bet Shaka looks to the portal for some senior leadership, just as he did his first year.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #4111 on: December 16, 2023, 09:42:22 AM »

Don’t forget they also lost A jax. On the bucks now

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4112 on: December 16, 2023, 09:48:43 AM »
He may need a point guard next year, not sold on Norman yet and Jones is to small.

You forgot Stevie

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4113 on: December 16, 2023, 10:03:37 AM »

Well, you're as good as your record. And truth is that in his first four seasons as a P6 head coach, his record was very Wojo-like.

Doesn't mean he couldn't coach. He simply didn't win enough to merit all the accolades thrown his way. Obviously, in Year 5, he turned UConn back into a powerhouse, and he's built an enviable program.

And he's even become a little likable because of all the nice things he's said about Marquette - which truly pisses me off!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4114 on: December 16, 2023, 10:07:25 AM »
He is a good coach.   He won a nattie, he has a team that can potentially go back to back.   He seems to be doing it in a way I can respect.    He admires and appreciated the Big East.     Yes, he is an annoying little jag during games and has a face and demeanor that just begs to be punched.     All of these things can be true.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4115 on: December 16, 2023, 10:07:43 AM »
Well, you're as good as your record. And truth is that in his first four seasons as a P6 head coach, his record was very Wojo-like.

Doesn't mean he couldn't coach. He simply didn't win enough to merit all the accolades thrown his way. Obviously, in Year 5, he turned UConn back into a powerhouse, and he's built an enviable program.

And he's even become a little likable because of all the nice things he's said about Marquette - which truly pisses me off!

About that, I’d look at why his record was the way it was and his time at Rhode Island.

Like Shaka, he was building towards something great and sustainable.

We’ll have this discourse with Cooley at G’Town as well, I’ll wager.  Growing pains, but if successful, sustainable greatness

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4116 on: December 16, 2023, 10:08:53 AM »
He is a good coach.   He won a nattie, he has a team that can potentially go back to back.   He seems to be doing it in a way I can respect.    He admires and appreciated the Big East.     Yes, he is an annoying little jag during games and has a face and demeanor that just begs to be punched.     All of these things can be true.   

When I say discourse, I meant more coaching ability versus likability.  There was a lot of chatter about him as a coach and not being a good one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4117 on: December 16, 2023, 10:13:51 AM »
Please list the coaches that do NOT have ongoing discussions about their coaching ability.     In history.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4118 on: December 16, 2023, 10:16:32 AM »
Please list the coaches that do NOT have ongoing discussions about their coaching ability.     In history.

Tex Winter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4119 on: December 16, 2023, 02:18:50 PM »
Hoyas need to get their act together in second half at South Bend
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4120 on: December 16, 2023, 02:38:27 PM »
Solid win for English Enterprises over Sacred Heart. Seems like no games a given this year.
            ---Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4121 on: December 16, 2023, 02:58:49 PM »
You forgot Stevie

Kam has a better chance to play point then Stevie but would like to bring in a transfer which he should of this year to compete against Jop, mistake

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4122 on: December 16, 2023, 03:03:37 PM »
As solid as MU’s win over the Tommies

Solid win for English Enterprises over Sacred Heart. Seems like no games a given this year.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #4123 on: December 16, 2023, 03:06:55 PM »
“ solid win “ over Sacred Heart ??

That’s a ridiculous statement

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #4124 on: December 16, 2023, 03:14:38 PM »
“ solid win “ over Sacred Heart ??

That’s a ridiculous statement