'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 470544 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 Results
« Reply #4025 on: December 10, 2023, 08:02:18 PM »
If we get 5 it will likely have to come at the expense of a few seed lines for the Top-3 teams. They might need some resume building wins over the top of the conference. Here’s hoping they dont get them at marquettes expense

You could be right....I just don't know.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4026 on: December 10, 2023, 08:19:45 PM »
BE will get 5 in.

3 locks. With the other 2 being whichever teams get 4/5 in the league standings. Prov and Nova having the best chances.

SJU and Butler would get in if they won enough to finish 4th or 5th.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4027 on: December 10, 2023, 08:28:04 PM »
You make a valid point.   In another thread, the relative mediocrity of the B1G is being  discussed.   Who is going to make the argument there is 5-7 tourney worthy teams there?

Let the season and the league sort itself.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4028 on: December 11, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »
It's been rough Howard outside of the presumed top 3.  I think 4-9 there are teams with potential but XU has had injuries.  Obviously Gtown and DePaul are cataclysmic disasters. 

No one is saying that about Georgetown, at least where it is headed. Patrick Ewing left such an empty cupboard that he didn't even bother signing up for an MTE in 2023 or 2024 and did not have a single recruit signed when he left. As such, Ed Cooley is left with five walk-ons (four of whom had never played in college), a starting center from Fairfield, and a team that doesn't have a lot of team skills yet.

Yes, Georgetown lost to Syracuse. No one, no one walked out of that arena complaining about it. It's all on an upward trajectory even if MU is a 20-25 point favorite next week. But Cooley has a Top 15 recruiting class signed and that's before the portal.

As Dan Hurley said it a few years ago, get us now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 10:35:28 AM by DFW HOYA »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4029 on: December 11, 2023, 09:57:57 AM »
No one is saying that about Georgetown. Patrick Ewing left such an empty cupboard that he didn't even bother signing up for an MTE for the next two years and did not have a single recruit signed when he left. As such, Ed Cooley is left with five walk-ons (four of whom had never played in college), a starting center from Fairfield, and a team that doesn't have a lot of team skills yet.

Yes, Georgetown lost to Syracuse. No one, no one walked out of that arena complaining about it. It's all on an upward trajectory even if MU is a 20-25 point favorite next week. But as Dan Hurley said it a few years ago, get us now.

I agree with your assessment that Cooley will turn things around.  I think most on this board would agree as well.  The Big East is a better brand with Georgetown doing well.  Lots of good coaches in this league though.  It won’t be easy for any program to dominate on a yearly basis.  Should be some great battles ahead.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4030 on: December 11, 2023, 10:51:23 AM »
No one is saying that about Georgetown, at least where it is headed. Patrick Ewing left such an empty cupboard that he didn't even bother signing up for an MTE in 2023 or 2024 and did not have a single recruit signed when he left. As such, Ed Cooley is left with five walk-ons (four of whom had never played in college), a starting center from Fairfield, and a team that doesn't have a lot of team skills yet.

Yes, Georgetown lost to Syracuse. No one, no one walked out of that arena complaining about it. It's all on an upward trajectory even if MU is a 20-25 point favorite next week. But Cooley has a Top 15 recruiting class signed and that's before the portal.

Georgetown went through its version of the Dukiet years with Ewing. The Hoyas are in a FAR better position now in terms of facilities, resources, etc., than MU was when O'Neill took the reins. And yes, the portal, which Cooley has utilized extremely well in the past, makes the rebuild potentially much faster and easier.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4031 on: December 11, 2023, 10:56:07 AM »
Georgetown went through its version of the Dukiet years with Ewing. The Hoyas are in a FAR better position now in terms of facilities, resources, etc., than MU was when O'Neill took the reins. And yes, the portal, which Cooley has utilized extremely well in the past, makes the rebuild potentially much faster and easier.

He also has a good class coming in next year. 247 has them at 11. It'll get there, but he did not have much in terms of on-the-court talent upon arrival.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4032 on: December 11, 2023, 11:44:54 AM »

Cooley obviously (word and emphasis for Muggsy) cannot turn Georgetown around in one season, but I have no doubt that he will succeed. The annual trip to DC for the MU/GT game that my wife and I make may result in MU -some year in the future- being on the wrong side of the final score. As you (essentially) said....I will enjoy watching with full confidence of a W while I can.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #4033 on: December 11, 2023, 01:18:32 PM »

Hurley said that a couple years after UCONN had won a national championship.

People have been getting Georgetown for over a decade now.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4034 on: December 12, 2023, 12:13:53 AM »
Hurley said that a couple years after UCONN had won a national championship.

People have been getting Georgetown for over a decade now.

Hurley's quote was from 2020. UConn won the title in 2023.

https://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/dan-hurley-quote-viral-uconn-ncaa-national-championship

« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 12:28:02 AM by DFW HOYA »

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #4035 on: December 12, 2023, 10:53:17 AM »
Hurley's quote was from 2020. UConn won the title in 2023.

https://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/dan-hurley-quote-viral-uconn-ncaa-national-championship

Right.  And 6 years prior to that UCONN had won a national title.  4 years prior they went 25-11.  Heck, they were 14-18 the last year Ollie was the coach there.  They were A LOT further from the bottom than what Georgetown is and has been.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #4036 on: December 12, 2023, 11:26:49 AM »

Does Cooley report directly to the school pres like Ewing did?
Always thought that was such a strange arrangement.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4037 on: December 12, 2023, 12:54:00 PM »
Does Cooley report directly to the school pres like Ewing did? Always thought that was such a strange arrangement.

This is an outgrowth of Georgetown employing only part-time coaches well into the 1960s. When the first full time coach was hired in 1967, he was put in an University org chart through the dean of students, not athletics. As a result, the AD would not work with the coach unless the coach reported to him, and the coach could not get Student Affairs to make any changes on his behalf because he wasn't in residence life, which was their primary mission. The Jesuit president at the time would not engage in business with anyone who was not a direct report of his (none of them were), so it went nowhere for six years.

On his way out the door in 1972, Jack Magee told the new coach, John Thompson, to ask to report to the president instead, and Thompson took him up on the suggestion. It's been that way since.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4038 on: December 12, 2023, 07:03:26 PM »
Seton Hall in a grind with Monmouth.   Holloway frustrated with team focus.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4039 on: December 12, 2023, 07:36:23 PM »
Seton Hall in a grind with Monmouth.   Holloway frustrated with team focus.
It will be a good experience for them.
Goal is National Championship

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4040 on: December 12, 2023, 07:53:13 PM »
I understand why Georgetown doesn’t want to play at McDonough, but this crowd is embarrassing. Would the Big East let them play a couple of these week night non-conference games on campus?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4041 on: December 12, 2023, 10:01:41 PM »
I understand why Georgetown doesn’t want to play at McDonough, but this crowd is embarrassing. Would the Big East let them play a couple of these week night non-conference games on campus?

Another night of "Count The Fans". Georgetown's friends at Capital One Arena (well, friends for now if you've been following that news...) won't allow any games on-campus as part of its "all or nothing" contract. Georgetown pays MSG-level rates to rent the building for games like this.

Georgetown is losing millions on basketball and people don't get it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4042 on: December 12, 2023, 10:18:21 PM »
Solid wins for The Hall and Hoyas tonight.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4043 on: December 12, 2023, 11:24:41 PM »
Sure....

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #4044 on: December 13, 2023, 12:21:10 AM »
Yes, monster home wins for Georgetown over the 1-11 Coppin State Eagles—quite literally the worst team in division one basketball—and Seton Hall over the 246th ranked Monmouth Hawks. https://barttorvik.com/#
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 12:25:43 AM by Tyler COLEk »

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #4045 on: December 13, 2023, 07:09:30 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39100527/ted-leonsis-plans-move-wizards-capitals-virginia

I wonder if this changes anything for Georgetown?  I suppose their current lease agreement at Capital One will dictate things, but perhaps they'll have more leverage as one of the few remaining tenants? 

Highly doubt they'll move to Alexandria with the Wiz and Caps.  Not because it's far from campus, but because they won't want to pay even more for the same turnout. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4046 on: December 13, 2023, 08:05:32 AM »
Does the Big East have minimum capacity requirements for an arena? I kind of suspect that Georgetown would not be permitted to play their home games at McDonough which is really is no better than most high school gyms -- and a lot worse than many.

I wonder if they could play where the Mystics play...but that is an awful long way from campus. It's a 4,000 seat arena which is plenty for the team right now. I'm sure they don't want the blow to their ego -- they're a big time team, damnit! But it's silly to repeatedly play in front of fewer than 1000 people in a 20,000 seat arena.

The current SeatGeek prices for Hoyas' home conference games:  Creighton ("from" $5); DePaul - a Saturday game ($4); Seton Hall ($4); Butler ($6); Marquette (Saturday) ($24); UConn (Saturday) ($31); Villanova (Friday) ($40); St. John's ($13); Xavier (Saturday) ($17); Providence ($23)

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #4047 on: December 13, 2023, 08:23:14 AM »
Does the Big East have minimum capacity requirements for an arena?

Don't know the answer to that, but Hall has been playing a game or two at Walsh Gymnasium (cap. 1300) the last couple seasons, including one vs. St Johns.
https://shupirates.com/facilities/walsh-gymnasium/1

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4048 on: December 13, 2023, 09:41:54 AM »

Saw only a couple minutes of GT, but Seton Hall was an embarrassment to themselves and the BE. Very sloppy bball, and a far cry from the disciplined, focused St. Peters, the giant killer a couple of years ago.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4049 on: December 13, 2023, 09:45:26 AM »
Does the Big East have minimum capacity requirements for an arena? I kind of suspect that Georgetown would not be permitted to play their home games at McDonough which is really is no better than most high school gyms -- and a lot worse than many.

I wonder if they could play where the Mystics play...but that is an awful long way from campus. It's a 4,000 seat arena which is plenty for the team right now. I'm sure they don't want the blow to their ego -- they're a big time team, damnit! But it's silly to repeatedly play in front of fewer than 1000 people in a 20,000 seat arena.

The current SeatGeek prices for Hoyas' home conference games:  Creighton ("from" $5); DePaul - a Saturday game ($4); Seton Hall ($4); Butler ($6); Marquette (Saturday) ($24); UConn (Saturday) ($31); Villanova (Friday) ($40); St. John's ($13); Xavier (Saturday) ($17); Providence ($23)

I think a certain amount need to be in at 10k arena. From what I recall someone posted that about why Gonzaga couldn't join
Maigh Eo for Sam