[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results  (Read 429748 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Big East Regular Season, BET and NCAA Results 22-23
« Reply #2700 on: March 31, 2023, 03:04:23 PM »
Total rebuild for Sean Miller after year 1.  Now you see why Shaka built his year 1 with a strong base of young guys.

Colby Jones now will forego his remaining eligibility and enter the draft.

My kid said Colby is still going to classes. She's seen him all week.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2701 on: March 31, 2023, 03:07:02 PM »

Must be a nerd
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #2702 on: March 31, 2023, 03:53:08 PM »
Quote from: GoldenEagles03 link=topic=63698.msg1542740#msg1542740 date=
Total rebuild for Sean Miller after year 1.  Now you see why Shaka built his year 1 with a strong base of young guys.

Seriously? 

Shaka chose to rebuild in year 1 because there simply wasn't a deep talent pool to build around. He tried to keep Carton and Garcia, but they chose not to stay and had to be replaced. He wisely chose to cut Akanno, Torrance and Perez loose and take a chance with replacements.  And Stevie and Kam were already committed. 

And you're forgetting that two of his year 1 starters were 5th-year grad transfer seniors (Morsell and Kuath).

If Shaka had inherited a roster built like Xavier's, he would have done exactly like Miller did in trying to retain everyone who contributed to the NIT championship and then filling the lone gap at PG.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #2703 on: March 31, 2023, 03:59:20 PM »
Seriously? 

Shaka chose to rebuild in year 1 because there simply wasn't a deep talent pool to build around. He tried to keep Carton and Garcia, but they chose not to stay and had to be replaced. He wisely chose to cut Akanno, Torrance and Perez loose and take a chance with replacements.  And Stevie and Kam were already committed. 

And you're forgetting that two of his year 1 starters were 5th-year grad transfer seniors (Morsell and Kuath).

If Shaka had inherited a roster built like Xavier's, he would have done exactly like Miller did in trying to retain everyone who contributed to the NIT championship and then filling the lone gap at PG.

Nothing you just said disputes anything I said.
VIOLENCE!

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2704 on: March 31, 2023, 04:20:43 PM »
Nothing you just said disputes anything I said.

It pretty much does.  You claim we see why Shaka "chose" to build the roster like he did instead of doing it how Miller "chose" to because now Miller has a "total rebuild."

The rosters they inherited were entirely different.  They didn't have the same "choice" to make.  Also, you can build a roster either way and have success (or fail).  Guys like Muss and Chris Beard are constantly building through 1 and done freshman and 1 and done transfers and have success.

To play my best GE03 impersonation, "Maybe Miller will rebuild with 1 year guys and have success.  Or maybe he won't have success.  We'll find out!"

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #2705 on: March 31, 2023, 04:32:57 PM »
Quote from: withoutbias link=topic=63698.msg1542835#msg1542835 date=
It pretty much does.  You claim we see why Shaka "chose" to build the roster like he did instead of doing it how Miller "chose" to because now Miller has a "total rebuild."

The rosters they inherited were entirely different.  They didn't have the same "choice" to make.  Also, you can build a roster either way and have success (or fail).  Guys like Muss and Chris Beard are constantly building through 1 and done freshman and 1 and done transfers and have success.

To play my best GE03 impersonation, "Maybe Miller will rebuild with 1 year guys and have success.  Or maybe he won't have success.  We'll find out!"

Exactly.

It sounded like GE03 was trying to suggest that Shaka made a better decision with his year 1 roster than Miller did.

I dispute that because the situations were very different and handled very differently.  Nothing about what Miller did tells you anything about "why Shaka built his year 1 with a strong base of young guys."

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #2706 on: March 31, 2023, 04:35:48 PM »

Shaka could have quite easily recruited portal guys that were all Morsell/Kuath/Greg Elliot types that had experience.  I'm not knocking what Miller did, because quite frankly I don't care how he does it.  I was just simply saying we see why Shaka built his year 1 roster the way he did, because now Kolek, OMax, Joplin, Kam, Stevie, Oso are core pieces that expect to be around awhile.

I think you're reaching a bit too deep there.
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2707 on: March 31, 2023, 04:39:56 PM »
There are multiple ways to build a roster. Some will try to reload upperclassmen with the portal every season. Others will try to bring in high school and young transfers and develop them over multiple seasons. Neither is inherently better than the other, both present challenges. Shaka elected for the latter of the two options. Would he have chosen differently with a different starting roster? Maybe, I don't know.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #2708 on: March 31, 2023, 04:51:51 PM »
There are multiple ways to build a roster. Some will try to reload upperclassmen with the portal every season. Others will try to bring in high school and young transfers and develop them over multiple seasons. Neither is inherently better than the other, both present challenges. Shaka elected for the latter of the two options. Would he have chosen differently with a different starting roster? Maybe, I don't know.

Agreed. I'm not saying Shaka would have done it differently if he were in Miller's spot. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't have.  I'm sure Miller will have a good squad next year too.

But we see why Shaka did it the way he did. Stability with a chance at early returns of success. It couldn't have worked any better.  Add a few veterans to a main core of young guys and let them grow.  And now he really doesn't have to add anything but young talent, unless an opportunity for a splash presents itself.
VIOLENCE!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #2709 on: March 31, 2023, 05:08:09 PM »
Quote from: GoldenEagles03 link=topic=63698.msg1542847#msg1542847 date=
Agreed. I'm not saying Shaka would have done it differently if he were in Miller's spot. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't have.  I'm sure Miller will have a good squad next year too.

But we see why Shaka did it the way he did. Stability with a chance at early returns of success. It couldn't have worked any better.  Add a few veterans to a main core of young guys and let them grow.  And now he really doesn't have to add anything but young talent, unless an opportunity for a splash presents itself.

Except we knew why he did it the way he did two years ago--he told us as much at the time he landed all the young guys.

I don't get your comment that "Now we see. . . " as if we didn't know before this year.  Nor the comparison to Xavier.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2710 on: March 31, 2023, 05:52:47 PM »
Bryce Hopkins and Devin Carter announced they will return to Providence next season.
Excellent News for English Enterprises
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2711 on: March 31, 2023, 06:04:15 PM »
Seriously? 

How do you know that he tried to keep Carton and Garcia?
After the hiring, Carton was effusive in his praise of Shaka, said he looked forward to playing for him. After Shaka met with him he was gone. We got Morsell and were better off. After Garcia left, we got OMax and were better off.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2712 on: March 31, 2023, 06:17:15 PM »
How do you know that he tried to keep Carton and Garcia?
After the hiring, Carton was effusive in his praise of Shaka, said he looked forward to playing for him. After Shaka met with him he was gone. We got Morsell and were better off. After Garcia left, we got OMax and were better off.

I think both were welcome if they bought into the culture Shaka was building.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2713 on: March 31, 2023, 06:27:00 PM »

He announced his declaration for the draft and said his thank yous and goodbyes on Twitter.

I guess that doesn’t preclude him from finishing out the last few weeks of the semester.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2714 on: March 31, 2023, 06:52:56 PM »
I think both were welcome if they bought into the culture Shaka was building.

Don’t disagree.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2715 on: March 31, 2023, 07:37:19 PM »
Annoying UConn guy wins the internet today.

https://twitter.com/noescalators/status/1641908284579004416?s=61&t=jsIZllSIAp6Fe-FmvZNVnw

Adam Zagoria: Dan Hurley says it won’t take Rick Pitino long to get St. John’s back in NCAA Tournament.

NoEscalators: No one has ever disputed the man gets things done quickly

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2716 on: March 31, 2023, 08:20:47 PM »
Excellent pick up for The Blue Jays getting Isaac Traudt. Redshirted at UVA so he Has four years of eligibility left. Classic Creighton Big who can shoot it.

If the Blue Jays can keep their core lineup intact they should be in good shape heading into next year.

https://gocreighton.com/news/2023/3/31/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-adds-virginia-transfer-isaac-traudt.aspx

After the near miss The Blue Jays should be coming out strong next season. Was an emotional moment in their locker room after the SDSU loss.
https://youtu.be/2CiIE0reWRk
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2717 on: April 01, 2023, 09:55:03 PM »
Rooting for U Conn to stay strong down the stretch.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2718 on: April 01, 2023, 10:21:43 PM »
Excellent outcome for The Big East getting another team to the final helps the leagues cause .
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2720 on: April 01, 2023, 10:35:53 PM »
UConn should be required to play Marquette best 2 out of 3 for a real National Championship…

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2721 on: April 01, 2023, 10:45:25 PM »
UCONN has done the Big East an incredible solid with this run. Feels like their run coupled with the coaching changes the last few years has pushed the Big East over the top as the premier hoops conference once again. Kenpom numbers will lag a bit since the bottom few teams suck but nobody cares about that.

I picture the ACC just red in the face shaking right now with jealousy. They may try to go after some of the BE teams out of pure desperation.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 10:48:01 PM by CountryRoads »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2722 on: April 01, 2023, 10:55:26 PM »
UConn should be required to play Marquette best 2 out of 3 for a real National Championship…

They already did. We won.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2723 on: April 02, 2023, 09:01:36 AM »
UCONN has done the Big East an incredible solid with this run. Feels like their run coupled with the coaching changes the last few years has pushed the Big East over the top as the premier hoops conference once again. Kenpom numbers will lag a bit since the bottom few teams suck but nobody cares about that.

I picture the ACC just red in the face shaking right now with jealousy. They may try to go after some of the BE teams out of pure desperation.

Agree. I was really hoping that Creighton made it into the FF, better yet into the championship game vs. UCONN. What a way to not only impress everyone in college bball, but also we would have gotten to watch the ESPN guys having to acknowledge the BE success in the tourney.  ;D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2724 on: April 02, 2023, 09:20:00 AM »
I thought Hopkins would make the jump to the pros. Big addition for the Friars.

Yep. English is off to a good start at Providence.