[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 470123 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Big East Regular Season, BET and NCAA Results 22-23
« Reply #2425 on: March 06, 2023, 03:02:59 PM »
If you understand all that about respecting opponents and recognizing that any team can beat any other, why mock people who come right out and say it? It doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the season and their lives in general. That really comes off as pretty arrogant and condescending. It certainly doesn't add anything to a discussion.

And, just about all season long,  following a Scooper's expressions of optimism with something along the lines of, "But we could lose Saturday because so-and-so is better than you think," could be interpreted as obvious and not adding a whole lot to a discussion.

But I really don't think you're doing it to be rude or argumentative, wisblue. I think you're just more on the cautious side and you view yourself as more of a voice of reason. Please don't take it personally if I tell ya to chill and enjoy this historic season!

We want the same thing. We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2426 on: March 06, 2023, 03:22:04 PM »
And, just about all season long,  following a Scooper's expressions of optimism with something along the lines of, "But we could lose Saturday because so-and-so is better than you think," could be interpreted as obvious and not adding a whole lot to a discussion.

But I really don't think you're doing it to be rude or argumentative, wisblue. I think you're just more on the cautious side and you view yourself as more of a voice of reason. Please don't take it personally if I tell ya to chill and enjoy this historic season!

We want the same thing. We Are Marquette!

I am and have been enjoying this historic season. I’m not sure why you think otherwise just because I’m more on the cautious side.

A statement by someone that a team may be tougher than someone thinks certainly adds more to a discussion than the kind of pure sarcastic hyperbole from you that I responded to.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2427 on: March 06, 2023, 03:23:59 PM »
If we eliminated sarcasm and hyperbole, the board might as well shut down.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2428 on: March 06, 2023, 03:29:08 PM »
I am and have been enjoying this historic season. I’m not sure why you think otherwise just because I’m more on the cautious side.

A statement by someone that a team may be tougher than someone thinks certainly adds more to a discussion than the kind of pure sarcastic hyperbole from you that I responded to.

OK, have a nice day. See you in the next discussion. We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2429 on: March 06, 2023, 03:37:28 PM »

Not to mention the amateur psychoanalysis.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2430 on: March 06, 2023, 03:44:24 PM »

There is always sardonicism.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2431 on: March 06, 2023, 06:00:14 PM »
There is always sardonicism.

And schadenfreude

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #2432 on: March 06, 2023, 06:24:15 PM »
And schaum tortes.

Wait...

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #2433 on: March 06, 2023, 08:04:00 PM »
My gut is that Shaka can lock up national COY Friday night against UConn. Might get it regardless, but that would go a long way

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2434 on: March 06, 2023, 08:14:33 PM »
And schaum tortes.

Wait...

And ND and Crean sux

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #2436 on: March 06, 2023, 10:49:07 PM »
Marquette is a good team. With out a doubt. They don’t have 5 star guys. And that’s why they get no respect. Even now, after winning the Big East regular season championship. It’s all about Uconn coming on and Creighten and blah blah blah. FU. We’ll see come Thursday morning.

They have a lot of great athletes like other teams. I think I see something different in this team. I see a team that passes the ball in the half-court that makes scoring easier. Or they pass out and make a three. Not complicated, if you make shots. If you miss, obviously you need to rebound, which I truly believe MU is getting better at. I hope it’s not wishful thinking after DP & STJ.

MU should win the Big East Tournament Championship this Saturday.
They will win two games in the NCAA tournament and go home disappointed but satisfied.
I didn’t think they would make the tournament this year. I figured next year would be different. And it will be. With out a doubt. Just look at the starting 5. Kam Jones, Tyler Kolek, O-Max, Oso and Stevie Mitchell. You got Gold and Joplin. Ross.

And coming in: Zaide Lowery, Al Amadou & Tre Norman. Up grades. Up and up. I sympathize for the guys that came to MU and will get passed up. Some to injuries. Emarion Ellis & Keeyan Itejere. So much hope and anticipation. Heartbreak. Some local freshmen. They’re happy to wear a uni.  And you never know what talent a kid might possess. Even a kid from Fond du Lac.

And then, the program gets even stronger. And in 2024 you add Damarius Thomas? Whoa. He could be a one and done. He will leave Marquette as a lottery pick. You can quote me on it.

Carl

• Team Captain
Re: Big East Regular Season, BET and NCAA Results 22-2
« Reply #2437 on: March 06, 2023, 11:15:17 PM »
Marquette is a good team. With out a doubt. They don’t have 5 star guys. And that’s why they get no respect. Even now, after winning the Big East regular season championship. It’s all about Uconn coming on and Creighten and blah blah blah. FU. We’ll see come Thursday morning.

They have a lot of great athletes like other teams. I think I see something different in this team. I see a team that passes the ball in the half-court that makes scoring easier. Or they pass out and make a three. Not complicated, if you make shots. If you miss, obviously you need to rebound, which I truly believe MU is getting better at. I hope it’s not wishful thinking after DP & STJ.

They will win two games in the NCAA tournament and go home disappointed but satisfied.
I didn’t think they would make the tournament this year. I figured next year would be different. And it will be. With out a doubt. Just look at the starting 5. Kam Jones, Tyler Kolek, O-Max, Oso and Stevie Mitchell. You got Gold and Joplin. Ross.

And coming in: Zaide Lowery, Al Amadou & Tre Norman. Up grades. Up and up. I sympathize for the guys that came to MU and will get passed up. Some to injuries. Emarion Ellis & Keeyan Itejere. So much hope and anticipation. Heartbreak. Some local freshmen. They’re happy to wear a uni.  And you never know what talent a kid might possess. Even a kid from Fond du Lac.

And then, the program gets even stronger. And in 2024 you add Damarius Thomas? Whoa. He could be a one and done. He will leave Marquette as a lottery pick. You can quote me on it.

Always love when you come out of the clouds with a gem. You’ve got my ‘Scoop vote’ for Most Optimistic Rambler. And I sincerely mean that with complimentary respect.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2438 on: March 07, 2023, 06:49:57 AM »

Might wanna learn his name before making such a bold guarantee.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2439 on: March 07, 2023, 06:55:54 AM »

Absolutely not.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2440 on: March 07, 2023, 07:01:57 AM »

Excellent Report .
            ---Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2441 on: March 07, 2023, 07:09:29 AM »

Yeah, he should probably learn Owens' name if he's going to project him as a one-and-done. On the lottery-pick front, maybe he's confusing him with the kid at a school a few miles away from Owens' school who likely is a one-and-done (Darryn Peterson). Shaka might as well pick Peterson up too when he's down visiting Owens.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2442 on: March 07, 2023, 07:09:49 AM »
To borrow from Aminal House...
Let him go.  He's on a roll.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #2443 on: March 07, 2023, 10:15:21 AM »
Oopsie.. Of course I meant Damarius Owens.  Thank God for the fact checkers on Scoop or I’d stumble around like Mr. Magoo.  Ring Out Ahoya.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2444 on: March 07, 2023, 11:36:39 AM »
Oopsie.. Of course I meant Damarius Owens.  Thank God for the fact checkers on Scoop or I’d stumble around like Mr. Magoo.  Ring Out Ahoya.

Lucky for you, scoop is a mistake free zone

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2445 on: March 07, 2023, 12:24:31 PM »

Some are simply fact checkers and do not take cheap shots, and others love the lyrics from a country song from years ago: "Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in so many ways..."
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2446 on: March 07, 2023, 12:39:29 PM »
There are definitely some benefits for MU as the number 1 seed. The Johnnies and Butler play Wednesday at 3:00 PM . Then the Winner of that has to play MU at Noon  Thursday.

Warriors come out strong and put a scalp on the wall.
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2447 on: March 07, 2023, 06:42:02 PM »
Not really sure where to put this, so this seems as good as anywhere. Andrei at Paint Touches brought it up this morning in a group chat. You can sort Torvik by Quadrant. So instead of looking at a date range, you look at an opponent quality range. Much has been made about Marquette's defense, but if you sort by Quadrant 1, and limit it to teams that played 5+ Q1 games (so you get out the low majors that only played a couple road buy games) Marquette ranks 4th in the country. The Offense is 11th and Defense is 19th.

What that indicates is that in the biggest games, our team is at their best. The lower the Quadrant, the worse this team does. Against Q3+4, for instance, they are ranked 36th. Against Q4 only, they're 42nd. But when they play a big game, they bring their best and they deliver, even on the defensive end (which explains some of the lockdown performances we've seen and been unable to explain why they aren't consistent. Feels like this bodes well for March. Here's the top-10 against Q1 only:

1. Houston
2. Arizona
3. UConn
4. Marquette
5. Gonzaga
6. UCLA
7. Purdue
8. Tennessee
9. Kansas
10. Alabama
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2448 on: March 07, 2023, 07:50:32 PM »
Not really sure where to put this, so this seems as good as anywhere. Andrei at Paint Touches brought it up this morning in a group chat. You can sort Torvik by Quadrant. So instead of looking at a date range, you look at an opponent quality range. Much has been made about Marquette's defense, but if you sort by Quadrant 1, and limit it to teams that played 5+ Q1 games (so you get out the low majors that only played a couple road buy games) Marquette ranks 4th in the country. The Offense is 11th and Defense is 19th.

What that indicates is that in the biggest games, our team is at their best. The lower the Quadrant, the worse this team does. Against Q3+4, for instance, they are ranked 36th. Against Q4 only, they're 42nd. But when they play a big game, they bring their best and they deliver, even on the defensive end (which explains some of the lockdown performances we've seen and been unable to explain why they aren't consistent. Feels like this bodes well for March. Here's the top-10 against Q1 only:

1. Houston
2. Arizona
3. UConn
4. Marquette
5. Gonzaga
6. UCLA
7. Purdue
8. Tennessee
9. Kansas
10. Alabama
Thanks for sharing this. I think once MU gets out of conference, our style of play is going to cause a lot of problems for opponents.
            ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2449 on: March 07, 2023, 08:36:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. I think once MU gets out of conference, our style of play is going to cause a lot of problems for opponents.

Agreed Herman.