[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469639 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Big East Results 22-23
« Reply #850 on: December 31, 2022, 04:50:52 PM »
I think all six have the potential to get there. Butler and Seton Hall aren't entirely dead as both have some decent non-con wins to hang their hats on.

Might try to dig in tonight, but it will depend largely on how the standings come out. Teams like PC, Creighton, and 'Nova probably don't get in at 10-10 or 11-9. But if you had all of those teams at 12+ wins in league they could all get in. But then you need 3-4 really bad teams. Get Butler, Georgetown, and DePaul all to 15+ losses and you have a shot. Last year, the six Big East tourney teams went 34-4 against the bottom three teams in the league. Do something like that and we might be able to get to six, especially with the ACC, Pac-12, A-10, and WCC down compared to recent years.

Lot of trash out there this year
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #851 on: December 31, 2022, 05:54:18 PM »
We discussed this at length, but they mirrored the strategy I thought they would and ultimately it worked. 'Nova shot over their heads in the first half, then regressed to the mean in the second. They were still getting plenty of good looks, but they weren't hitting them. It was always unlikely 'Nova would keep up the 46% they were making in the first half, and they finished right around 36% while taking more than half their shots from beyond the arc. It was the right strategy. We left them open, they made some early, then came back to reality because we shut them out of the lane.

That's not what happened. We repeatedly zoned in the first half and they hit a three almost every time we trotted it out.  We played an aggressive man in the second half and defended out to the three point line and their percentage predictably dropped
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #852 on: December 31, 2022, 06:13:58 PM »
That's not what happened. We repeatedly zoned in the first half and they hit a three almost every time we trotted it out.  We played an aggressive man in the second half and defended out to the three point line and their percentage predictably dropped

With Oso sitting, Shaka had to go zone with Gold, Jop and Sean in.  In 2nd, he shortened his rotation and alternating Oso offense and sitting defense until later where Oso owned the interior defensively. Beautiful adjustment.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #853 on: December 31, 2022, 06:27:39 PM »

I'm rewatching it right now. They had plenty of open looks that just didn't fall.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #854 on: December 31, 2022, 06:47:49 PM »
We discussed this at length, but they mirrored the strategy I thought they would and ultimately it worked. 'Nova shot over their heads in the first half, then regressed to the mean in the second. They were still getting plenty of good looks, but they weren't hitting them. It was always unlikely 'Nova would keep up the 46% they were making in the first half, and they finished right around 36% while taking more than half their shots from beyond the arc. It was the right strategy. We left them open, they made some early, then came back to reality because we shut them out of the lane.
I am sure there is some statistical analysis can prove or disprove the following, but my impression was that while the MU defense was decent in the 1st half, it outstanding in the 2nd in terms of forcing more difficult Nova attempts. Many fewer open shots, and some like Dixon's attempt from about 27' you are happy for them to take.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #855 on: December 31, 2022, 07:22:03 PM »
I'm rewatching it right now. They had plenty of open looks that just didn't fall.

Sure but they killed the zone and changed the defense so there were a ton less
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #856 on: December 31, 2022, 07:23:01 PM »

Don’t let this distract anyone from the fact St. John’s sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #857 on: December 31, 2022, 08:09:16 PM »

Not really, 17 3PA in the first half, 16 in the second half.

What changed was the defensive rebounding. Why, out of zone, plus more Oso.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #858 on: December 31, 2022, 08:16:22 PM »
Not really, 17 3PA in the first half, 16 in the second half.

What changed was the defensive rebounding. Why, out of zone, plus more Oso.

I didn't say less attempts total, I said less wide open attempts, especially catch and shoots
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #859 on: December 31, 2022, 08:27:53 PM »
So I know there has been talk of there only being 4 Big East teams potentially making the tourney this year.  It's early but it seems there might be a clear top and bottom "half" of the league.  Could definitely see these 6 going dancing:

Marquette
UConn
Xavier
Providence
Creighton
Nova

Thoughts?
I think this scenario can be realized . Especially since Creighton and Nova have the talent to potentially win the Big East Tournament and get the auto bid
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #860 on: December 31, 2022, 08:49:29 PM »
I think this scenario can be realized . Especially since Creighton and Nova have the talent to potentially win the Big East Tournament and get the auto bid

They can't win the Big East Tournament when we're winning the Big East Tournament.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #861 on: December 31, 2022, 09:19:57 PM »
I didn't say less attempts total, I said less wide open attempts, especially catch and shoots

I think too, MU wore them down.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #862 on: January 01, 2023, 06:53:31 AM »
Whitmore sat for 10 minutes in the second half.   The game became a slog.   Coincidence?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #863 on: January 01, 2023, 07:28:25 AM »
Hurley claims he received the tech for yelling 'Unbelievable' at the ref.  If he followed it up with 'WTF', he would be quoting a one hit wonder.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #864 on: January 01, 2023, 07:45:38 AM »
Hurley claims he received the tech for yelling 'Unbelievable' at the ref.  If he followed it up with 'WTF', he would be quoting a one hit wonder.

My guess is that he had plenty of prior warnings.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #865 on: January 01, 2023, 06:33:37 PM »
Solid romp by Cooley & Company over The Blue Demons. DePaul program still in a Blue Funk.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 08:06:33 PM by Herman Cain »
            ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #866 on: January 01, 2023, 07:09:48 PM »
Solid romp by The Blue Jays over The Blue Demons. DePaul program still in a Blue Funk.

You mean the Friars.

Ed Cooley doing it again early in conference play, when it matters most.

7 consecutive wins, 4-0 to start the conference.
Host UConn at what was formerly known as the Dunk on Wed.

Probably due for a reality check game and UConn will play with extra passion after a loss, but should be a good game.

Butler destroying Gtown on the road…
MU gonna have some pressure in those DePaul and GTown games if all the other conference teams keep decimating them

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #867 on: January 01, 2023, 07:12:10 PM »
How can Georgetown not move on from Ewing - this is beyond embarrassing for a once proud program.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #868 on: January 01, 2023, 07:33:08 PM »
Georgetown this year is legit in the discussion for worst power conference team I’ve ever seen.  Athletic but the number of bricked shots not even close and out of control turnovers is right up there with when D2 teams play in preseason exhibitions.  Like I’m legit surprised when a contested jumper falls

panda

• All American
« Reply #869 on: January 01, 2023, 07:42:50 PM »
Georgetown this year is legit in the discussion for worst power conference team I’ve ever seen.  Athletic but the number of bricked shots not even close and out of control turnovers is right up there with when D2 teams play in preseason exhibitions.  Like I’m legit surprised when a contested jumper falls

They’re pathetic. And they have several decent players on the roster.

It’s interesting because I’ve seen some pundits recently still say Georgetown is a tier 1 job. The last couple of years shows that the administration does not care about the program whatsoever and the fan support is at a zero. It’s incredible to see such a proud program reduced to the pathetic state it’s at now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #870 on: January 01, 2023, 08:07:17 PM »
You mean the Friars.

Ed Cooley doing it again early in conference play, when it matters most.

7 consecutive wins, 4-0 to start the conference.
Host UConn at what was formerly known as the Dunk on Wed.

Probably due for a reality check game and UConn will play with extra passion after a loss, but should be a good game.

Butler destroying Gtown on the road…
MU gonna have some pressure in those DePaul and GTown games if all the other conference teams keep decimating them
Correction noted. I was so focused on Packers game I wasn’t paying close attention lol
            ---Al McGuire

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #871 on: January 01, 2023, 08:10:40 PM »

Every other word out of his mouth is a F-bomb, his version of events is actually unbelievable.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #872 on: January 01, 2023, 08:15:59 PM »
GTown hiring Ewing after all the drama about firing JT3 and watching Mullen crash and burn at STJ just shows that their administration really could give two craps about athletics. Never hire the former great player as your coach; it never works out and then the relationship is tainted.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

panda

• All American
« Reply #873 on: January 01, 2023, 08:17:26 PM »
GTown hiring Ewing after all the drama about firing JT3 and watching Mullen crash and burn at STJ just shows that their administration really could give two craps about athletics. Never hire the former great player as your coach; it never works out and then the relationship is tainted.

I agree with you - but devils advocate. Ewing was a hot name on the nba assistant list. Very well respected.

Mullin was out of nowhere

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #874 on: January 01, 2023, 08:23:54 PM »
The Bulldogs mauled The Hoyas tonight .

Ewing keeps collecting his salary.
            ---Al McGuire