collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Total wealth since 1989  (Read 13141 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Total wealth since 1989
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2022, 12:46:49 PM »
Ziggy

I love their take because it highlights to me just how big of opportunities are still out there. The more guys that think the dream is over, the better for the guys chasing the dream. Until the day I die, I am going to be chasing the American Dream and doing so with excitement.

Yes because people are incapable of successfully participating in a society that they'd like to change.   ::)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2022, 12:48:28 PM »
Jesmu84 and hards and their economic takes make me laugh.

I'm glad to be the jester in your kingdom, good sir.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2022, 01:37:59 PM »
What would Jesus charge for loaves and fishes?

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2022, 01:45:14 PM »
Try to not kick the ladder out from beneath you on your way to the top dg, you've had a lot more advantages on your way up than most.

You know not of what you speak. You have no idea what I have or haven't done with my time, talent and treasure in my life. So to make that kind of an observation is not smart.

Look, the ladder was literally and accidentally knocked out from under me last December when I was getting things from the attic. Damn, it hurt then and I'm still not fully recovered. I may never fully recover from it. I would note that the folks that have been successful know that's true for us and for society as well. You knock the ladder out from those that have been successful and those who made it -- however they did -- and inevitably they fall too. And the consequences are much worse than my badly broken ankle.

Inevitably, if you don't offer opportunity, bad economics fills the void!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2022, 01:53:26 PM »
We don't have a society that the world looks up to.  That is American Exceptionalism, and it is a lie.  We get 2 million immigrants from the South border annually partially because we have had a large hand in destabilizing their countries for decades.  They're coming to America not for the American Dream, they're just trying to not get murdered. 

While I don't agree with some points of your post, its reasonable and not hysterical.  However, I'll take a bit of opposition to the start of this paragraph.  There was near absolute truth to this a generation or two ago that created American Exceptionalism.  But now I feel that this has swung too far over to the other side to a realm of "nobody looks up to the US anymore" which is BS.  At least economically.

Ask anyone here who does business internationally, its still a gold standard and aspirational.  Doesn't matter if I'm in India or Southeast Asia or even parts of Europe.  People still clamor to get here, to start businesses or do business here.  I know small business owners in Belgium, France, and Germany that Ive spoken to in the last few years that would uproot their operations to the US if not for family or other ties.  And those are the same people that made Trump jokes or are baffled by gun violence here.

Other countries have caught up or become more desirable in comparison, sure.  But thats being fit and content to stay.  Still very few other countries have the same economic opportunity draw.  People lose sight of that due to understandably negative perceptions of things domestically.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2022, 01:58:24 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2022, 02:04:40 PM »
We don't have a society that the world looks up to.  That is American Exceptionalism, and it is a lie.  We get 2 million immigrants from the South border annually partially because we have had a large hand in destabilizing their countries for decades.  They're coming to America not for the American Dream, they're just trying to not get murdered. 

You know why we're #1 on the world stage, and probably will be for a long time?  We are uninvadeable, have global military power, and control the global shipping lanes.  For a long time this was the UK.  But they lost their empire.  We don't have an empire to lose, but we can implode.  Best way to do that is to continue lining the pockets of the super wealthy.  The wealth gap in the US increases every year.  From 1983 to 2016, the share of aggregate wealth going to upper-income families increased from 60% to 79%  Those were the years that millennials were children... your generations hay day.  A generation of union destruction, minimum wage stagnation, and globalization are surely to blame, but who put those policies in place? 

Super wealthy?  You're not it.  I'm not it.  No one on this board is super wealthy.  No one told me that I'd get to be those guys because I'm an American.  Hell, I'm not sure how you are misunderstanding my quote.  And the super wealthy?  We don't need them.  Billionaires should not exist.  The accumulation of that much wealth is morally deplorable.  I'm sure most of these neo-aristocrats could easily thrive below the billionaire line.

Hilarious commentary on the youth of the nation.  Your generation is the "GOT MINE, GET BENT" generation.  You're passing us down a world that is falling apart after having been privy to the most successful stretch of time globally.  Are you guys to blame for everything?  Nah, but you're generation has been in charge now for a few decades and again, the results are pretty rough.  Furthermore, have you been on Facebook recently?  That place is loaded with self-absorbed boomers who can't tell reality from fantasy.

As to your last two points, good for you.  That's the story of everyone.  We all go through hard times and easy ones, but shouldn't our society do better than we are and take care of the basic needs of it's citizens?  We can certainly afford it.  Other countries do it and aren't bankrupt.  Frankly, I don't whine about not 'getting mine or not having what others have.  Life is like that.  I just fundamentally believe that our wealth gap in the US is the only reason we fail as a country.  Continuing on the path of the last four decades will make this problem worse.  I just want everyone else to be able to succeed, and not live in a world where 60% of people are living paycheck to paycheck.

Try to not kick the ladder out from beneath you on your way to the top dg, you've had a lot more advantages on your way up than most.

Lots of ways to be successful in America.  Some build it. Some marry into it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »
Hards

The American Dream is alive and well and many newer immigrants are participating in that Dream. Honestly, I think you live a very sheltered life. My kids all went to a very strong private school, three for K-4 - 8th grade and one was a lifer and the school is now made up of over 50% first generation Chinese and Indian immigrants sending their children there. A high percentage came to the USA to follow there dreams and have sacrificed everything to build a foundation for their family. Their commitment and sacrifice is something I admire a great deal.

I can tell you from every ounce of my body that these families are doing the same thing that my grandparents did over a hundred years ago. You can believe the deck is stacked against you, that we are no longer exceptional and any other belief you may have, and I respect that. That said, I know who the sucker at the table is on this conversation.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2022, 02:38:20 PM »
Lots of ways to be successful in America.  Some build it. Some marry into it.

Some have their dad give it to them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2022, 03:14:22 PM »
While I don't agree with some points of your post, its reasonable and not hysterical.  However, I'll take a bit of opposition to the start of this paragraph.  There was near absolute truth to this a generation or two ago that created American Exceptionalism.  But now I feel that this has swung too far over to the other side to a realm of "nobody looks up to the US anymore" which is BS.  At least economically.

Ask anyone here who does business internationally, its still a gold standard and aspirational.  Doesn't matter if I'm in India or Southeast Asia or even parts of Europe.  People still clamor to get here, to start businesses or do business here.  I know small business owners in Belgium, France, and Germany that Ive spoken to in the last few years that would uproot their operations to the US if not for family or other ties.  And those are the same people that made Trump jokes or are baffled by gun violence here.

Other countries have caught up or become more desirable in comparison, sure.  But thats being fit and content to stay.  Still very few other countries have the same economic opportunity draw.  People lose sight of that due to understandably negative perceptions of things domestically.

Of course economically speaking the US will always be advantageous for companies for the exact reasons I outlined.  It is the safest place to do business.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2022, 03:22:44 PM »
You know not of what you speak. You have no idea what I have or haven't done with my time, talent and treasure in my life. So to make that kind of an observation is not smart.

Look, the ladder was literally and accidentally knocked out from under me last December when I was getting things from the attic. Damn, it hurt then and I'm still not fully recovered. I may never fully recover from it. I would note that the folks that have been successful know that's true for us and for society as well. You knock the ladder out from those that have been successful and those who made it -- however they did -- and inevitably they fall too. And the consequences are much worse than my badly broken ankle.

Inevitably, if you don't offer opportunity, bad economics fills the void!

You're a white dude from America who is a member of the baby boomer generation and attended a private university.  I'm all of those things as well... except I'm an old millennial.  I don't have to assume much else to know you have had a ton of advantages.  No reason to get upset about it.

Sorry, you got hurt.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2022, 03:51:46 PM »
Of course economically speaking the US will always be advantageous for companies for the exact reasons I outlined.  It is the safest place to do business.

Which is an element of society that is looked up to and admired.  That doesn't mean the US is infallible or perfect.  But I know people from countries in Europe that Americans greatly admire, that would love to be in the US.  Not all, but plenty.  Different people admire/aspire/pursue different things.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2022, 03:51:55 PM »
You're a white dude from America who is a member of the baby boomer generation and attended a private university.  I'm all of those things as well... except I'm an old millennial.  I don't have to assume much else to know you have had a ton of advantages.  No reason to get upset about it.

Sorry, you got hurt.

now i'm getting a better picture of why you're so angry and unsuccessful and it's not anyone's fault but your own dude
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2022, 03:58:23 PM »
  now i'm getting a better picture of why you're so angry and unsuccessful and it's not anyone's fault but your own dude

His dad didn't "sell" him his dental business?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2022, 04:01:56 PM »

7 out of 10

We enjoy the projection of your posts but this one is missing the classic elements of a very successful rocket post. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2022, 04:11:51 PM »

LMFAO.

I doubt anyone who has the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader would call me angry.  As for unsuccessful, you must have very strange terms for such a word because I assure you I'm very well off.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2022, 04:14:30 PM »
Which is an element of society that is looked up to and admired.  That doesn't mean the US is infallible or perfect.  But I know people from countries in Europe that Americans greatly admire, that would love to be in the US.  Not all, but plenty.  Different people admire/aspire/pursue different things.

I don't disagree.  The example that was given was the Central Americans crossing the border, so I was just addressing that specifically.  They're fleeing home and America has a lot to do with the why.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2022, 04:32:26 PM »
I have said it many times that when more people leave the USA on a daily basis than risk their lives to be here I will worry about the USA.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2022, 05:59:48 PM »
Hards

The American Dream is alive and well and many newer immigrants are participating in that Dream. Honestly, I think you live a very sheltered life. My kids all went to a very strong private school, three for K-4 - 8th grade and one was a lifer and the school is now made up of over 50% first generation Chinese and Indian immigrants sending their children there. A high percentage came to the USA to follow there dreams and have sacrificed everything to build a foundation for their family. Their commitment and sacrifice is something I admire a great deal.

I can tell you from every ounce of my body that these families are doing the same thing that my grandparents did over a hundred years ago. You can believe the deck is stacked against you, that we are no longer exceptional and any other belief you may have, and I respect that. That said, I know who the sucker at the table is on this conversation.

Brother Goose:

You and me both.

I adopted both of my children from a former Soviet Republic. While there is a lot of things my wife and I gave our children, the greatest gift of all was American citizenship. The day I stood and took the oath of citizenship on behalf of my two year olds was one of the best days of my life. When you realize where they came from and what they've accomplished since, you begin to realize what America is about!

This country is truly exceptional.

There are a lot of things my children could do for which I'd support, even though I disagreed with them. But never, ever, ever forget they are are Americans. There comes a responsibility with that to ensure the next generation has the same blessings that you did! That this country is worth protecting and building. I don't see that feeling in a lot of posts in here.

We aren't perfect. That's why our Constitution says, "In order to form a more perfect union..." It acknowledges we always will have work to do. But we are exceptional and the fact is 2.0 million people a year risk their lives to get here speaks for itself. They are not going to Mexico, Brazil or Argentina. They're coming here. People from all over the world are coming here, not because we are perfect but because we try and we strive to be better.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2022, 06:00:51 PM »
His dad didn't "sell" him his dental business?

nor "give" it to him, ey sully?  but he probably got his uber biness from his daddy

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2022, 06:08:17 PM »
  nor "give" it to him, ey sully?  but he probably got his uber biness from his daddy

Sultan is a good example of "idle wealthy," at least based on his time spent online.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2022, 06:14:38 PM »

My dad was a teacher.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2022, 06:15:53 PM »
dgies

My grandparents moved her from Lithuania and Serbia in the early 1900's and my parents were born in 1921 and 1923 and they sacrificed every single day for their children. I can promise you that those lessons have not been forgotten by this borderline baby boomer. I am the youngest of four children and my siblings are all in their 70's and I saw sacrifice and determination firsthand by watching my parents live their lives.

I was born and raised for ten years on the near west of MKE and we lived in a house with one bathroom and waited in line to take a bath, not a shower. Those ten years shaped my life in ways that future success never matched. For the record, I am very proud of my success and have learned from hard defeats. When I read the stupidity stated about baby boomers in general it makes my blood boil. I 100% agree boomers have made mistakes, but the biggest mistake was to make life too easy for kids. That being said, I take great pride in giving my children a lifetime of private education, one that only came with debt for me.

America is beaten down at the moment, IMO, and our weaknesses are being exposed. But, not for one minute do I believe that it cannot be overcome. My Dad told me a thousand times "never count someone else's money because you have no idea what they have" and it is advice that has stayed in my mind for 50 years. Guys on here will make blanket statements about a generation like they actually know something.

For the record, I wish I was I coming the Thanksgiving tourney and have a chance to meet you. I know some guys on here personally and their stories do not match the narrative spewed on scoop. I appreciate your candid posts and lets plan on meeting at the Final Four some day to cheer on our Marquette Warriors or you can come to Meat Summit. Had to mention the Meat Summit to give the "guys" ammo to bash my post.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2022, 06:17:34 PM »
Sultan is a good example of "idle wealthy," at least based on his time spent online.

someone's daddy had to give him his job, but living on our money allows one more "me" time than most.  isn't it mandated?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2022, 06:30:44 PM »

This country is truly exceptional.

Both sides of this have completely bastardized what was originally meant by American Exceptionalism.
Hint: It doesn't mean we're better than any other country.

There comes a responsibility with that to ensure the next generation has the same blessings that you did!

Welp, the Boomers kinda screwed the pooch on this one.

That this country is worth protecting and building. I don't see that feeling in a lot of posts in here.

Oh, stop. Not only is criticizing America patriotic, it's necessary. All of the great movements in American history - from the revolution, to abolition, to the fights for labor rights, women's suffrage and civil rights - were led by people who were strongly and outspokenly critical of the country and the status quo.
The notion that people ought to suck on the teet of America is dangerous and antithetical to what makes the country great.