[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Seth Davis on Wojo in The Athletic  (Read 13931 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Seth Davis on Wojo in The Athletic
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2022, 04:43:35 PM »
Harping on the slightest inaccuracy and perceived slight? No thanks.
Teal implied?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2022, 04:44:38 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2022, 04:49:22 PM »
First, fans absolutely booed Wojo and chanted Fire Wojo, it just wasn't during the COVID season. We'll disagree about the media turning. And Wojo turning off twitter (due to the hate he was getting on twitter) doesn't mean the tweets didn't exist.

He was booed in intros, which is why they had the super speedy Howard into Wojo intro. The chants were tiny and a minority of a minority, and happened in very few games. It was never constant the way the article and seemingly Lindsay describe it.

I'm not saying he was beloved. He wasn't. But there are exaggerations and outright lies to make him sympathetic and it's not really debatable.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2022, 04:52:39 PM »
He was booed in intros, which is why they had the super speedy Howard into Wojo intro. The chants were tiny and a minority of a minority, and happened in very few games. It was never constant the way the article and seemingly Lindsay describe it.

I'm not saying he was beloved. He wasn't. But there are exaggerations and outright lies to make him sympathetic and it's not really debatable.

Sure. Even the worst of the worst coaches will likely be booed by an overwhelming minority of attending fans. It seems the majority of that small group booing Wojo back in 2020 were likely just drunk students. Wasn't there also a fire Wojo sign in a dorm window?

panda

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2022, 04:54:46 PM »

Anyone who thinks that Wojo was worse than Bob-f*cking*-Dukiet needs to get their head out of their a$$ right now. It's not even close. Not remotely close.

Wojo had three (if you count 2020) NCAA appearances and an NIT appearance. He recruited well. There were good times with him as coach - big wins against top programs with the Fiserv rocking.

Dukiet had little to none of any of that.  He recruited Tony Smith so that was good.  One NIT appearance - ending a streak of something like 25 years in a row of appearing in the postseason. Just awful.

Learn your history.

Good point sultan - right as always !

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Boone

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2022, 05:08:52 PM »
Pretty sure Tony Smith was a Majerus recruit who stayed with the program, so Dukiet doesn't even deserve that credit

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2022, 05:10:33 PM »
But it didn't. Fans that weren't there certainly weren't booing. If fans were turning it was on an app Wojo deleted, so he had to actively search out that negativity. The media didn't turn. He used things that weren't actually happening to make Wojo sympathetic.

It would be like saying "Wojo was hurt when fans like brew booed at games" when I wasn't there and never booed Wojo or his teams.

The guy got his year wrong.  Or his wife got the year wrong.  Yes, it's bad he didn't fact check that.  But fans were absolutely booing Wojo.  There were threads on Scoop at the time it happened.  There were people making comments on Instagram and siting them on MUScoop.  Heck, YOU SAID IT YOURSELF IN THIS THREAD that they sped up the gap between Markus introduction and Wojo's introduction so that fans no longer had the opportunity to boo Wojo!

There were links to previous AE articles in today's AE article proving receipts on negative press from them before Wojo was fired.

These things did happen.  You're just as inaccurate about it as Seth Davis is in getting the year wrong that these things were happening in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2022, 05:10:59 PM »
Pretty sure Tony Smith was a Majerus recruit who stayed with the program, so Dukiet doesn't even deserve that credit

Probably. I’m trying to remember what Dukiet’s biggest win actually was. And I got nothing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boone

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2022, 05:14:06 PM »
Trevor Powell?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2022, 05:16:05 PM »
Probably. I’m trying to remember what Dukiet’s biggest win actually was. And I got nothing.

Beat an NCAA-bound DePaul team in his final season.
Beat Wisconsin in his first game at MU (a bad, Steve Yoder UW team, but Wisconsin nonetheless).
That's all I got.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2022, 05:40:39 PM »
My god people are taking this way too seriously.  Honestly, who cares?  How many non-die hard Marquette (or Duke, I guess) fans out there do we think actually read this article?  And those types of fans already know what this article is for (puff piece to help Wojo get his foot back in the door).  It's a giant shoulder shrug.  Doesn't paint Marquette in any light one way or the other.  If you're upset, you're just looking for reasons to be upset.

Sir, this is the off-season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2022, 05:47:55 PM »
I’ll calm down when a prison sentence is handed to for Seth Davis.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2022, 06:25:41 PM »

Anyone who thinks that Wojo was worse than Bob-f*cking*-Dukiet needs to get their head out of their a$$ right now. It's not even close. Not remotely close.

Wojo had three (if you count 2020) NCAA appearances and an NIT appearance. He recruited well. There were good times with him as coach - big wins against top programs with the Fiserv rocking.

Dukiet had little to none of any of that.  He recruited Tony Smith so that was good.  One NIT appearance - ending a streak of something like 25 years in a row of appearing in the postseason. Just awful.

Learn your history.
Marquette and Wojo are probably in better places now. 
Wojo might still be coach if not for Hausergate.  Maybe consistently in the upper half of the Big East.  But that is all speculation. 
Hopefully Shaka lands good players that buy into that individual success is directly connected to team success.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2022, 06:39:20 PM »

Again, I'm not denying that Seth Davis stretched the truth in order to make Wojo seem sympathetic. I'm challenging the idea that the article is somehow anti-Marquette.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2022, 07:15:35 PM »
Far too much time and attention devoted to a failed coach.

Total puff piece from another Dukie.

Anyone who doesn't think that it's a screed for another job should consider the quote: "I'm a better coach now than the day I was fired at Marquette."

See ya.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2022, 07:17:53 PM »
I hear what you're saying, but the lack of any comment from anybody Wojo worked with at Marquette or any player Wojo coached at Marquette was glaring. Heck, even if he wanted to paint Wojo in a positive light (which he obviously did), don't you call Markus Howard, who became the school's all-time scorer thanks in great part to Wojo encouraging him to shoot just about every time he touched the ball? Or maybe Theo John? And the article begged for at least a no-comment from Scholl.

And though the savage AE reaction was way over the top, it cracked me up in a few spots because it highlighted a few things that I thought "huh" as I read them: The reference to Wojo as having been "doughy." ...The mention of Wojo reading 20 minutes a day, as if that's what, an accomplishment? ... The fact about the $9M buyout, because I thought I had read $7M repeatedly here on Scoop and elsewhere. ... The Carrawell quote asking Wojo if he wanted to win the practice or the game.

Anyhoo ... it all makes me feel glad that Wojo is gone.

Now it's Shaka's job to do what Wojo couldn't: Build a great basketball program for our alma mater.

We Are Marquette!

+1

It's a Duke shill piece, written by a Dukie with quotes from K and K. My godness, he took the time to quote the Hot Yoga Mama but couldn't find the time to call Broeker?

That said, Jimmy Sexton needs some agent money from his client once the MU Cash Train runs out of coal.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2022, 07:24:41 PM »
Again, I'm not denying that Seth Davis stretched the truth in order to make Wojo seem sympathetic. I'm challenging the idea that the article is somehow anti-Marquette.

“Stretched the truth” = lies, or no?

“I never lie! I only stretch the truth!”
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2022, 07:59:17 PM »

Learn your history.
Wellll....Dukiet was a better piano player than Wojo...so there is that!

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2022, 08:09:31 PM »
So is Wojo gonna be an assistant here or no?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2022, 08:19:33 PM »
You guys are sooo fcking boring and you all suck....I have no electrical power and water and like who cares. We're going to keep on looking at the past, move forward I say. F this.
Goal is National Championship

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2022, 08:38:06 PM »
You guys are sooo fcking boring and you all suck....I have no electrical power and water and like who cares. We're going to keep on looking at the past, move forward I say. F this.

¿Demasiado vino roja?

;D

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2022, 08:44:11 PM »
¿Demasiado vino roja?

;D
As I said extremely bored. Lots of other people suffering and this thread is stupid!!! You doing better?
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2022, 08:48:18 PM »

I am starting a virtual Scoop Hot Yoga group if you are needing some stress relief.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2022, 08:54:37 PM »
As I said extremely bored. Lots of other people suffering and this thread is stupid!!! You doing better?

Thank you for speaking the truth about this thread and trying to provide perspective.   Thought and prayers and donations.  (Love World Central Kitchen)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 08:56:54 PM by tower912 »

feedback