[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 22-23 W-L Predictions  (Read 23803 times)

AccredoJoe

• Walk-On
Re: 22-23 W-L Predictions
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2022, 10:03:37 AM »
W-Radford
W-Central Michigan
L-@Purdue
W-LIU
W-vs. Mississippi St.
W-vs. Georgia Tech/Utah
W-Chicago St.
L-Baylor
L-Wisconsin
W-North Carolina Central
L -@Notre Dame
L-Creighton
L -@Providence
W-Seton Hall
L-@Villanova
W-@St. John's
W-Georgetown
L -UConn
L-@Xavier
L-Providence
L-@Seton Hall
W-@DePaul
W-Villanova
W-Butler
L-@UConn
W-@Georgetown
W-Xavier
L-@Creighton
W-DePaul
L-@Butler
W-St. John's

Overall: 17-14
Big East Record: 10-10
Big East Tournament Seed: 7
Big East Tournament Result: Eliminated first round
Postseason Tournament and Seed: Drean on
Postseason Result: NIT 1-1

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2022, 10:06:40 AM »
Radford - W
Central Michigan - W
@Purdue - L
LIU - W
vs. Mississippi St. - W
vs. Georgia Tech/Utah - W
Chicago St.- W
Baylor - L
Wisconsin - L
North Carolina Central - W
@Notre Dame - L
Creighton - L
@Providence - L
Seton Hall - L
@Villanova - L
@St. John's - W
Georgetown - W
UConn - W
@Xavier - L
Providence - W
@Seton Hall - L
@DePaul - L
Villanova - L
Butler - W
@UConn - L
@Georgetown - W
Xavier - W
@Creighton - L
DePaul - W
@Butler - L
St. John's - W

Overall Record 17-16
Big East Record: 9-11
Big East Tournament Seed: 7
Big East Tournament Result: 1-1
Postseason Tournament and Seed: None
Postseason: None
[/quote]

I like the positivos and the records they are projecting.  Really hope am I wrong but I see this as basically a .500 season.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2022, 04:12:17 PM »
Viper

The UNC game was an unreal experience. The game against Russia and Al's last game might have been crazier, but all must attend games.

I was at all three. The Russian game was the best, by far.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2022, 04:38:26 PM »
I was at all three. The Russian game was the best, by far.
Commie
Goal is National Championship

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2022, 08:43:12 PM »
The Mecca was/is a dump. Intimate venue yes and great basketball environs due to rowdy fan behavior (and winning), of which the behavior is outlawed today (must during live play, toilet paper, obscene chants, paper machete mascot). Smoking was allowed at your seats, where the haze layer would have outed the Bradley Bat and likely killed a number of fans. Yes, you could drink beer, but in the hallway, not at your seats. The food selection was reheated hot dogs from the Bucks game.

FF is the best fan experience by far. The BC was louder because the students were seated together.  And STH's filled in behind the one basket which is important as students aren't even in session for many BE games in the expanded schedule.

Mecca was a great bandbox because of great team and brand. Those days have passed.
The Mecca was not a dump in AL's days. It was an NBA arena. UW was playing their games in the Field House. That was a dump compared to the Mecca.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2022, 08:54:20 PM »
The Arena was a great place for fans. No bad seats, close to the action, intimate feel. I understand the Bucks' need for a bigger place, but it was a nice sized arena for college hoops.

Still, one of my favorite "home" games during my time at MU was the 1980 game against Duke. Had to be moved to Dane County Coliseum because there was a conflict with the Bucks (IIRC), so only Marquette fans who really wanted to be there attended (very few sweater vests). The place was rockin', and we won a close one against a highly ranked Duke team that had Gminski, Banks, etc. What a blast!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2022, 08:55:48 PM »
I will go on record today to say we beat Baylor - our defense will be closer to mid season form and we handle Baylor who won't be prepared for it.
Beating Baylor would significantly raise my expectations for the rest of the year.
I have not done a prediction, because I simply do not know if the amazing February run last year was a fluke or something Shaka can pull off again. I do think we have a good chance to finish 5th in the Big East.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2022, 01:44:42 AM »
The Arena was a great place for fans. No bad seats, close to the action, intimate feel. I understand the Bucks' need for a bigger place, but it was a nice sized arena for college hoops.

Still, one of my favorite "home" games during my time at MU was the 1980 game against Duke. Had to be moved to Dane County Coliseum because there was a conflict with the Bucks (IIRC), so only Marquette fans who really wanted to be there attended (very few sweater vests). The place was rockin', and we won a close one against a highly ranked Duke team that had Gminski, Banks, etc. What a blast!
Was at that game, so much fun.
Goal is National Championship

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2022, 05:42:37 AM »
It's hard to do the math of subtracting Lewis, Morsell and Kuath while adding Wrightsil, Jones and Ross and figuring we come out ahead.

Any prediction for a big step forward is an exercise in blind faith. It's not necessarily wrong to believe in development and continuity, but there's objectively less seasoned basketball ability on the roster right now.

I'd be happy with another season similar to last. Making consecutive NCAA tournaments would feel like a small step in the right direction. You do wonder when Shaka cranks it up a little bit. I would think there's a fairly low ceiling with his current recruiting strategy.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2022, 05:56:01 AM »
It's hard to do the math of subtracting Lewis, Morsell and Kuath while adding Wrightsil, Jones and Ross and figuring we come out ahead.

Any prediction for a big step forward is an exercise in blind faith. It's not necessarily wrong to believe in development and continuity, but there's objectively less seasoned basketball ability on the roster right now.

I'd be happy with another season similar to last. Making consecutive NCAA tournaments would feel like a small step in the right direction. You do wonder when Shaka cranks it up a little bit. I would think there's a fairly low ceiling with his current recruiting strategy.

You would think that if this were fantasy basketball where games are played on paper.

Good thing it isn’t.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2022, 08:09:31 AM »

Its not just Lewis/Morsell/Kuath vs Wrightsil/Jones/Ross and Gold(who you left off).

Anyone who is confident in this team being better is also factoring in every single guy who played with MU last year that returns being better and potentially significantly better than who they were last year.

If all those guys simply stayed the exact same players, then yeah what we lost is most certainly going to be more than what we brought in. But thats not logical to believe.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2022, 08:29:11 AM »
Beating Baylor would significantly raise my expectations for the rest of the year.
I have not done a prediction, because I simply do not know if the amazing February run last year was a fluke or something Shaka can pull off again. I do think we have a good chance to finish 5th in the Big East.

Seems to me that you are contradicting yourself here. You stated the reason that you have not done a prediction and then say we have a "good chance" at finishing 5th in the BE. While that is not exactly a prediction, please explain how you arrived at that conclusion.

My "prediction" for this coming season is really just a wild guess, and I suspect some of the others who posted theirs would admit to the same. Others actually do research to arrive at their predictions. I hope I never see another post like the one last October where someone did not make a preseason prediction "because I have not seen them perform on the court yet".

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2022, 09:13:16 AM »
Three reasons why I am optimistic about them-

-Continuity. Core guys will have played a bunch together and been through the gauntlet of a BE season.
-More looks offensively. Having another ballhandler will help a ton. As will a true pick and pop big in Gold.
-Pace. For all their positives, Lewis and Morsell were halfcourt players. Run on everything. The depth is there.

Obviously concerned about rebounding. Going to need the guards to chip in more on that front.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2022, 09:28:41 AM »
Seems to me that you are contradicting yourself here. You stated the reason that you have not done a prediction and then say we have a "good chance" at finishing 5th in the BE. While that is not exactly a prediction, please explain how you arrived at that conclusion.

My "prediction" for this coming season is really just a wild guess, and I suspect some of the others who posted theirs would admit to the same. Others actually do research to arrive at their predictions. I hope I never see another post like the one last October where someone did not make a preseason prediction "because I have not seen them perform on the court yet".
I see 4 teams that are easily better than MU and everyone else. We will not finish ahead of them unless one of them implodes. The fifth best team could be the team that goes 11-9. I am not a believer in St. John's, which is the fifth Big East team predicted to be in the NCAA tournament in the latest bracketology.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2022, 09:33:13 AM »
All of our returning players should show improvement and I think we all agree on that. However, that is most likely true of all Big East teams, so the improvement is somewhat offset by other teams' returning players improvements.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2022, 09:50:13 AM »

I would look at the bolded more as there is more experience playing for Shaka this year than there was last year with Lewis, Morsell and Kuath etc.

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2022, 09:56:28 AM »
I appreciate what Shaka's doing.

He's got a legitimate program-building strategy that doesn't involve beating UK and UNC at their own game (accumulating stars and rolling the ball out). That's smart (rimshot).

But if you take off the blue and gold glasses, this team does not appear to be especially talented. We are all counting on continuity and development, and that's the magic dust that allows us think we'll overachieve again. But until we have some proof that the magic dust is indeed magic, it's blind optimism.

Again, big fan of Shaka, and he's got a lot of rope as far as I'm concerned. It'll be interesting to see how much development the team shows and if/when he's able to start landing a higher caliber of player.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2022, 09:59:35 AM »
I appreciate what Shaka's doing.

He's got a legitimate program-building strategy that doesn't involve beating UK and UNC at their own game (accumulating stars and rolling the ball out). That's smart (rimshot).

But if you take off the blue and gold glasses, this team does not appear to be especially talented. We are all counting on continuity and development, and that's the magic dust that allows us think we'll overachieve again. But until we have some proof that the magic dust is indeed magic, it's blind optimism.

Again, big fan of Shaka, and he's got a lot of rope as far as I'm concerned. It'll be interesting to see how much development the team shows and if/when he's able to start landing a higher caliber of player.

Yep.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2022, 10:19:33 AM »
I’d like nothing more than to puff my chest out again about MU basketball and this team.     But I’ve seen nothing but hype videos that would warrant that.  The two best players left MU in the off-season and we are counting on the collective development or our “not best players” and a middling recruiting class to help us be competitive in the Big East.

I hope the optimists are correct. Ben Gold may be the next Steve Novak.  Sean Jones may be the next Dominic James.  Joplin could turn into the next Jamil Wilson. Kolek the next Deiner.  A ton of stuff will have e to go right for this team to be competitive in the Big East.  But I’ll have to see it to believe it.  Get er done Shake!  Go MU!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2022, 10:21:49 AM »

I don't think it's "magic dust" or blindly optimistic to think that can lead to good results. The college game is a system game. Schools that recruit to their style and develop players can win at a pretty high level. We don't even need to look outside of WI to see that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2022, 10:36:51 AM »
Three reasons why I am optimistic about them-

-Continuity. Core guys will have played a bunch together and been through the gauntlet of a BE season.
-More looks offensively. Having another ballhandler will help a ton. As will a true pick and pop big in Gold.
-Pace. For all their positives, Lewis and Morsell were halfcourt players. Run on everything. The depth is there.

Obviously concerned about rebounding. Going to need the guards to chip in more on that front.

Agreed on all counts
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2022, 10:50:08 AM »
Looks like Purdue has lost 1 nonconf home game in the past 5 years. It was to Shaka. Their following game, they lost at Fiserv. Book an MU W aina
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2022, 11:28:39 AM »
Royale

I try very hard not to have blind optimism and last year I felt they would overachieve simply based off the Shaka factor and I think they did. That said, I am giving Shak the benefit of knowing if we have enough talent or not. Considering the lack of available room for newcomers it appears to me that Shaka is 100% in on the guys he has on the roster. If he is going into this season and next with sub-par talent, he better be a helluva of a game coach.

I have said several times that I think all of the returning guys are athletic, basketball players and not just athletes. IMO, we need every guy to be a bit better and 2-3 to be much better and I like our chances. I do believe that there will be parity with 5-7 guys and will make playing time difficult for everyone. That is a situation that could free up roster space for next year.

Again, if Shaka ends up dropping the ball, I will be one of the first to get all over him on Scoop. To date, he has not given me any reason not to believe he was/is the right guy for the program. The fact that we did not lose one guy to the transfer portal confirmed to me this guy connects with the guys.

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
Royale

I try very hard not to have blind optimism and last year I felt they would overachieve simply based off the Shaka factor and I think they did. That said, I am giving Shak the benefit of knowing if we have enough talent or not. Considering the lack of available room for newcomers it appears to me that Shaka is 100% in on the guys he has on the roster. If he is going into this season and next with sub-par talent, he better be a helluva of a game coach.

I have said several times that I think all of the returning guys are athletic, basketball players and not just athletes. IMO, we need every guy to be a bit better and 2-3 to be much better and I like our chances. I do believe that there will be parity with 5-7 guys and will make playing time difficult for everyone. That is a situation that could free up roster space for next year.

Again, if Shaka ends up dropping the ball, I will be one of the first to get all over him on Scoop. To date, he has not given me any reason not to believe he was/is the right guy for the program. The fact that we did not lose one guy to the transfer portal confirmed to me this guy connects with the guys.

Appreciate this post, and I wasn't trying to imply that those that are optimistic are foolish or wrong. I think you've made good points about where any glass-half-full thinking comes from. In particular, Shaka does likely deserve a certain amount of faith. However--and not to change subjects--I still think he's a bit more unproven than most (VCU was up-and-running when he took the reins and his Texas tenure was what it was).

As with all of us, I really want this team to be good. But I just keep looking at the roster, and I have a really hard time  getting there. It's not hot seat time or anything, but I think this is a pivotal season in gauging what Shaka is. If this team falls short of the NCAA tourney, it suggests his read on his talent might not have been especially good. Because, externally that's the read, and I would think there were opportunities to add talent to the roster. He chose not to.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2022, 01:15:29 PM »
Appreciate this post, and I wasn't trying to imply that those that are optimistic are foolish or wrong. I think you've made good points about where any glass-half-full thinking comes from. In particular, Shaka does likely deserve a certain amount of faith. However--and not to change subjects--I still think he's a bit more unproven than most (VCU was up-and-running when he took the reins and his Texas tenure was what it was).

As with all of us, I really want this team to be good. But I just keep looking at the roster, and I have a really hard time  getting there. It's not hot seat time or anything, but I think this is a pivotal season in gauging what Shaka is. If this team falls short of the NCAA tourney, it suggests his read on his talent might not have been especially good. Because, externally that's the read, and I would think there were opportunities to add talent to the roster. He chose not to.

I'm not looking at this season as any kind of barometer on Shaka's fit for the program or capability at MU.  My feeling is he learned from Texas that the one and done's aren't necessarily the players and type of program that he most desires to build.

Shaka seems to truly enjoy the relationships with his players, seeing their development through on and off the court, and not having a turnstyle type of program. 

I think it's possible Shaka could have added some additional transfers this past off-season, but he likes his guys and is committed to their development.

Getting us to the NCAA in Year 1 was a phenomenal job.  Perhaps in Year 2 we take a slight dip.  I tend to think we will be a team that finishes similar to last year's - borderline NCAA team.  However, I feel that in Year 3 and 4 we will start to see the dividends paid on the retention, continuity, and culture fronts.  If by the end of Year 4 we are still a fringe NCAA team, then perhaps we need to reconsider.  Yet, at some point, we may need to just realize that the ceiling at MU might very well be Sweet 16s and the norm the 8-9 seed NCAA tournament team.