[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Business Ethics/Morals/Sell Out Hypothetical  (Read 611 times)

JWags85

• All American
Business Ethics/Morals/Sell Out Hypothetical
« on: September 01, 2022, 02:35:32 PM »
So the discussion over the last 6 months or so on the LIV Tour, coupled with a recent article I saw with people freaking out over minority STEM grants being provided by/leading to employment with Raytheon, made me think...

Getting 8 figures directly from the Saudis to play golf is an extremely niche scenario.  But where do your lines truly lie?  Would you turn down a substantial raise from a Chinese firm with close government ties?  If you were an engineer, would you balk at forays from defense contractors cause you're a pacifist? 

Just curious who has had true experiences or decisions as such.  Cause people screeching about the Raytheon example I mentioned are likely armchair critics who have no real impact or experience in the sector or the corporate world ("if you work at Raytheon, you have as much blood on your hands as a drone operator, regardless of your job or product line").

Personally, one of my fairly close colleagues in the diamond industry was a very well regarded marketer and branding whiz.  She earned a very nice salary from one of the bigger diamond companies.  About 3 years ago, well before any of the recent geopolitical calamity, she was approached by Alrosa, which beyond controlling Russian diamond production, is directly tied to the Russian government.  They were trying to establish themselves as more of a brand in the US and even move into retail.  In a vacuum, it was a really interesting and exciting opportunity to build something in an ambitious and well capitalized position.  The rumored 7 figure salary they presented didn't hurt.  She took the gig and most people understood the decision and were interested to see how she did.  Last year hasn't been great for her, obviously, she resigned and also had to step down from a couple of boards.  She landed on her feet, reputation pretty much fine, but interesting nonetheless.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Business Ethics/Morals/Sell Out Hypothetical
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 04:03:10 PM »
Cause people screeching about the Raytheon example I mentioned are likely armchair critics who have no real impact or experience in the sector or the corporate world ("if you work at Raytheon, you have as much blood on your hands as a drone operator, regardless of your job or product line").

Personally, I find this line of thinking ("regardless of job or product line") a little ridiculous. I worked for a firm that did some DOD work, particularly cybersecurity, but was mainly focused in commercial aviation. I had no qualms about it, mainly due to the type of products. Had we been developing weapons systems I probably would have felt differently about it.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 04:09:03 PM »
Only can decide for yourself.
Many, many factors.
Sometimes situation not good, but immediate exit not a good option.
Wait for the right time to exit when something else lined up.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 04:11:01 PM by NCMUFan »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 04:53:53 PM »
So the discussion over the last 6 months or so on the LIV Tour, coupled with a recent article I saw with people freaking out over minority STEM grants being provided by/leading to employment with Raytheon, made me think...

Getting 8 figures directly from the Saudis to play golf is an extremely niche scenario.  But where do your lines truly lie?  Would you turn down a substantial raise from a Chinese firm with close government ties?  If you were an engineer, would you balk at forays from defense contractors cause you're a pacifist? 

Just curious who has had true experiences or decisions as such.  Cause people screeching about the Raytheon example I mentioned are likely armchair critics who have no real impact or experience in the sector or the corporate world ("if you work at Raytheon, you have as much blood on your hands as a drone operator, regardless of your job or product line").

Personally, one of my fairly close colleagues in the diamond industry was a very well regarded marketer and branding whiz.  She earned a very nice salary from one of the bigger diamond companies.  About 3 years ago, well before any of the recent geopolitical calamity, she was approached by Alrosa, which beyond controlling Russian diamond production, is directly tied to the Russian government.  They were trying to establish themselves as more of a brand in the US and even move into retail.  In a vacuum, it was a really interesting and exciting opportunity to build something in an ambitious and well capitalized position.  The rumored 7 figure salary they presented didn't hurt.  She took the gig and most people understood the decision and were interested to see how she did.  Last year hasn't been great for her, obviously, she resigned and also had to step down from a couple of boards.  She landed on her feet, reputation pretty much fine, but interesting nonetheless.

This is a great ethics question.