[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Mikhail Gorbachev  (Read 1365 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
RIP Mikhail Gorbachev
« on: August 30, 2022, 04:36:17 PM »
Passed away today at age 92, one of the most important people of the 20th Century who presided over the reform and collapse of the Soviet Union.  More importantly, stood aside as the Iron Curtain fell
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

JWags85

• All American
Re: RIP Mikhail Gorbachev
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 05:50:00 PM »
Legit thought he died over a decade ago.  RIP

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 05:59:31 PM »
His legacy must be pretty complicated in Russia.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 06:03:21 PM »

I’ll be curious the reaction to the news there

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 06:31:49 PM »
I’ll be curious the reaction to the news there
Here is what The Russians have to say about Gorby
https://www.rt.com/russia/558272-gorbachev-dies-soviet-leader/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 06:58:52 PM »

Russia Today doesn’t speak for all of Russia

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 07:34:11 PM »
Russia Today doesn’t speak for all of Russia
Was a very long and balanced article . Went into detail on his complicated legacy.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 07:38:35 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 07:36:42 PM »
Was a very long and balanced article . Went into detail on his complicated legacy with.

Ok

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 11:28:27 AM »

It isn't.  He is widely hated.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 07:10:47 PM »
Lol, what a post.
All Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 07:49:55 PM »

Good article, and the comments section is pure insanity.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 08:15:28 PM »

He is almost universally detested there. Maybe 5% of people think he was a hero. The other 95% think he was the most destructive ruler in Russian history. He broke up the modern Russian Empire.

Not just my opinion. I was listening to a guy yesterday talking about his place in Russian history. A journalist who is now an Editor at The Atlantic. I believed he worked for the Times back then and was Chief Russian correspondent.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 08:17:33 PM »
The bad news is that now if I want to look at the country of Albania, I need to use a map.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 08:19:11 PM »
He is almost universally detested there. Maybe 5% of people think he was a hero. The other 95% think he was the most destructive ruler in Russian history. He broke up the modern Russian Empire.

Not my opinion. I was listening to a guy yesterday talking about his place in Russian history. A journalist who is now an Editor at The Atlantic. I believed he worked for the Times back then and was Chief Russian correspondent.

I saw one of his former critics say, “he gave us freedom and we threw it away.”

The everyday Russian has been a fascinating character study through the centuries.  Pessimistic people uncertain of their place in their country and the world at large

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 08:01:19 AM »
Lol, what a post.

I assume this was directed at my post.

You're going to need to expand.  Ol Gorby is certainly not looked upon favorably in Russia. 

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2022, 08:04:42 AM »
I assume this was directed at my post.

You're going to need to expand.  Ol Gorby is certainly not looked upon favorably in Russia.
It wasn’t, just the topic in general. I agree with you about him in Russia. I think we should be saying good riddance instead of RIP.
All Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2022, 04:32:49 PM »
I saw one of his former critics say, “he gave us freedom and we threw it away.”

The everyday Russian has been a fascinating character study through the centuries.  Pessimistic people uncertain of their place in their country and the world at large

That's not uncommon when dictatorships fall. It's like Stockholm Syndrome. The older population looks back on the "old times," and there are certain aspects of life then they long for. Look at the Philippines. They elected the son of Ferdinand Marcos, whose father declared martial law and looted billions. Older people didn't care about that, they cared that there was far less crime, less income disparity, and far less drug use (a major issue there), and they focus on that. I think a lot of older Russians have the same viewpoint. There was less freedom but more fiscal stability for people (at least how they remember it). and they were one of the two hegemons on the world scene. They blame Gorby for taking that away. What does a Russian have to be proud about today?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2022, 05:10:14 PM »
That's not uncommon when dictatorships fall. It's like Stockholm Syndrome. The older population looks back on the "old times," and there are certain aspects of life then they long for. Look at the Philippines. They elected the son of Ferdinand Marcos, whose father declared martial law and looted billions. Older people didn't care about that, they cared that there was far less crime, less income disparity, and far less drug use (a major issue there), and they focus on that. I think a lot of older Russians have the same viewpoint. There was less freedom but more fiscal stability for people (at least how they remember it). and they were one of the two hegemons on the world scene. They blame Gorby for taking that away. What does a Russian have to be proud about today?

In Soviet Russia, drinking was a major problem and when people couldn’t find booze, they made their own stuff that was literally poison.  Same thing happens today but I get your point about remember when.  It’s a thing that happens everywhere, regardless of a nations current and former states of being

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2022, 06:34:07 PM »
In Soviet Russia, drinking was a major problem and when people couldn’t find booze, they made their own stuff that was literally poison.  Same thing happens today but I get your point about remember when.  It’s a thing that happens everywhere, regardless of a nations current and former states of being

You should check out alcohol consumption in Russia since the end of the USSR.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 06:36:08 PM »

My wife's family had to flee the Philippines because of Marcos. She's apoplectic they elected the son, Bongbong (trust me, Filipinos have ridiculous nicknames. Every family has a "Buboy"). The corruption, suspension of habeas corpus, mass jailings, torture, disappearances and killings. But, like there was with Dueterte (my wife's uncle, not something she's proud of), people overlook that and think about how the economy was thriving; infrastructure was developed and there was peace and order. Forget the other stuff.

What is stunning about Russia and many of the former republics (not the Baltics) is a fondness within parts of the population for Stalinism. Those people blame Gorby for their lives not being better than what they remember. But younger people are falling into that trap too as they hear all about "social stability" and "economic security" with less "injustice" in distribution. Freedom? Meh, overrated. And if you weren't doing anything wrong you didn't need to worry about the KGB.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2022, 06:52:12 PM »
My wife's family had to flee the Philippines because of Marcos. She's apoplectic they elected the son, Bongbong (trust me, Filipinos have ridiculous nicknames. Every family has a "Buboy"). The corruption, suspension of habeas corpus, mass jailings, torture, disappearances and killings. But, like there was with Dueterte (my wife's uncle, not something she's proud of), people overlook that and think about how the economy was thriving; infrastructure was developed and there was peace and order. Forget the other stuff.

What is stunning about Russia and many of the former republics (not the Baltics) is a fondness within parts of the population for Stalinism. Those people blame Gorby for their lives not being better than what they remember. But younger people are falling into that trap too as they hear all about "social stability" and "economic security" with less "injustice" in distribution. Freedom? Meh, overrated. And if you weren't doing anything wrong you didn't need to worry about the KGB.

I’m old enough to remember the Marcos regime and the excitement when they were finally gone.  Hard to imagine a return to that but here we are. 

feedback