[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85203 times)

Dickthedribbler

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1500 on: November 05, 2023, 01:14:21 AM »
Good!

Any day that ND and Madison both lose is a good one!

Really enjoying the start of the Luke Fickell era in my little corner of the world.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1501 on: November 05, 2023, 01:20:29 AM »
I was impressed by Penix

I actually like Penix more than Williams.  His throwing motion is a concern, but I prefer his decision making.  He has a cannon, motion aside

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1502 on: November 05, 2023, 07:43:39 AM »
I will say there is nobody in college football I enjoy watching more than Caleb Williams, flaws and all.

Every game, he pulls off about a dozen Houdini moves, he makes numerous "did you see that?" throws, and he's a powerful (and often reckless) runner when forced to scramble. He also wears his emotions on his sleeve, which was at its highest level after last night's highly entertaining game. Even his mistakes are exciting.

He's another one who would have benefited by being allowed to go to the NFL after last season. He unquestionably would have been the #1 pick. I'm sure he's making incredible NIL money, but he's also putting his body at risk over and over and over again.

If I were his agent, I'd advise him to sit out the Beef O'Brady or whatever meh bowl USC goes to. (If his NIL contract allows him to do so.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1503 on: November 05, 2023, 08:08:20 AM »
I actually like Penix more than Williams.  His throwing motion is a concern, but I prefer his decision making.  He has a cannon, motion aside

They showed a stat during the game that Penix only had like 11% of his throws from outside the pocket, which was super low compared to rest of college.

To succeed in the NFL, you have to be more of a pocket passer or at least have that ability, regardless of your athleticism.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1504 on: November 05, 2023, 08:34:08 AM »
I was pretty critical of Milroe a few weeks back but he has taken some big strides the last few weeks.  Changes the ceiling for Bama if he’s playing at a high level.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1505 on: November 05, 2023, 10:39:54 AM »
Colorado moves to 4-5 on the season after loss to Oregon State.

The Buffs got enough early hype in the season to secure many good prospects going forward .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1506 on: November 05, 2023, 10:46:53 AM »
Really enjoying the start of the Luke Fickell era in my little corner of the world.
I'm no Badger fan but I still like the hire and think Fickell will do well. I'd be higher on him if the Big10 was keeping the divisions. Big10 West = AAC.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1507 on: November 05, 2023, 10:55:56 AM »
Low scoring Hawkeye games reminiscent of early 70s Big Ten Football

Winning on last second field goal at Wrigley had to be excellent  for their fan base
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1508 on: November 05, 2023, 10:56:24 AM »
I'm no Badger fan but I still like the hire and think Fickell will do well. I'd be higher on him if the Big10 was keeping the divisions. Big10 West = AAC.

The Air Raid isn’t going to work in Wisconsin.  It’s Rich Rod at Michigan.  If he came in and ran the type of offense he did with Desmond Ridder, I’d like his chances more.  The Badger offense worked and would have been deadly had they ever had a mobile QB like when Wilson was there.  Christ’s largest failure was failing to find a QB who could consistently move the chains with his legs to complement their power run game.

Now that they don’t have the advantage of playing in the Big Ten West, I don’t see them as a legit threat to win Big Ten titles.  They might find a year or two getting into the playoff but with the expansion of it, they’ll never be serious threats.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1509 on: November 05, 2023, 10:57:33 AM »

Winning on last second field goal at Wrigley had to be excellent  for their fan base

No, the fanbase actually didn’t like it.  With their defense and special teams, most of them would prefer not to be a laughingstock nationally on offense because then maybe they’d be a real threat to win something.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1510 on: November 05, 2023, 10:58:11 AM »

All you need are adds for seeds or fertilizer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1511 on: November 05, 2023, 11:00:59 AM »
The Air Raid isn’t going to work in Wisconsin.  It’s Rich Rod at Michigan.  If he came in and ran the type of offense he did with Desmond Ridder, I’d like his chances more.  The Badger offense worked and would have been deadly had they ever had a mobile QB like when Wilson was there.  Christ’s largest failure was failing to find a QB who could consistently move the chains with his legs to complement their power run game.

Now that they don’t have the advantage of playing in the Big Ten West, I don’t see them as a legit threat to win Big Ten titles.  They might find a year or two getting into the playoff but with the expansion of it, they’ll never be serious threats.

Christ had no failures buddy.

Anyway I am cautiously optimistic. There needs to be more talent to make up for awful recruiting. Give it a couple of years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1512 on: November 05, 2023, 11:01:29 AM »

Have you seen the modern Catholic Church?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1513 on: November 05, 2023, 12:11:31 PM »
Have you seen the modern Catholic Church?
He could’ve used a better lawyer too.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1514 on: November 05, 2023, 01:54:08 PM »
I liked the hire initially.  But they seemingly have zero identity this year.  Nothing flashes “bright future”.  Nothing….  Transfer QBs pedestrian at best.  Defense has zero playmakers.   I get it that Chryst had abysmal recruiting for the past few years.   But nothing flashes in this team that says things will be looking up.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1515 on: November 05, 2023, 01:58:16 PM »
I liked the hire initially.  But they seemingly have zero identity this year.  Nothing flashes “bright future”.  Nothing….  Transfer QBs pedestrian at best.  Defense has zero playmakers.   I get it that Chryst had abysmal recruiting for the past few years.   But nothing flashes in this team that says things will be looking up.

Recruiting Rankings:

2024 Current: 24th
2023: 40th
2022: 41st
2021: 16th
2020: 26th

• All American
« Reply #1516 on: November 05, 2023, 02:33:35 PM »
Alex Grinch fired. Wasting Caleb Williams with a trash defense this year though.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1517 on: November 05, 2023, 03:00:37 PM »
Alex Grinch fired. Wasting Caleb Williams with a trash defense this year though.
You can't question the decision, but the timing? After 10 games?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: November 05, 2023, 03:02:38 PM »
The heart of his defensive philosophy was two sizes too small.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1519 on: November 05, 2023, 03:22:24 PM »
Am I missing something when people mention Drake Maye in the top QB discussion? I see a 1st round guy but at 19th in QBR in college against mediocre opposition, I'm not sold as a top 5 guy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: November 05, 2023, 03:49:22 PM »
The heart of his defensive philosophy was two sizes too small.

Superb
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1521 on: November 05, 2023, 03:51:09 PM »
He could only get to the top through 'Max' effort.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1522 on: November 05, 2023, 06:50:50 PM »

Anyway I am cautiously optimistic. There needs to be more talent to make up for awful recruiting. Give it a couple of years.

I’ve said it over and over when discussing whether coaches are great or not.

You win with good players. Saban is a very good coach - but he is a great recruiter. Give him Wisconsin’s talent every year and no one would be saying that he was a great coach.

Like you, I think Fickell will be fine once he gets a couple full recruiting classes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1523 on: November 05, 2023, 06:56:43 PM »
Sounds like a lot of Scoopers root for UW in football. If so, I’m floored. I can’t stand UW in any sport, thought their was solidarity among MU fans on that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1524 on: November 05, 2023, 06:59:05 PM »
Sounds like a lot of Scoopers root for UW in football. If so, I’m floored. I can’t stand UW in any sport, thought their was solidarity among MU fans on that.

It helps Marquette’s cause