[Today at 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85514 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1450 on: October 30, 2023, 11:58:10 AM »
From The Athletic:

The opening line for this week’s Iowa-Northwestern college football game opened with an over-under of 29.5 points at Circa Sports, which is a modern-day low.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1451 on: October 30, 2023, 12:45:20 PM »
From The Athletic:

The opening line for this week’s Iowa-Northwestern college football game opened with an over-under of 29.5 points at Circa Sports, which is a modern-day low.
Give me the under. Seriously, 14-10 feels about right.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1452 on: October 30, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »
Iowa was in the Rose Bowl and finished in the top 10 6-7 years ago.  Now they are best known for being the punchline of jokes about a horrific offense.  Life comes at you fast.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1453 on: October 30, 2023, 01:03:06 PM »
Iowa was in the Rose Bowl and finished in the top 10 6-7 years ago.  Now they are best known for being the punchline of jokes about a horrific offense.  Life comes at you fast.

Weirdly coincides with the elevation of Brian Ferentz to OC. Wonder if there's a connection.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1454 on: October 30, 2023, 01:31:35 PM »
Weirdly coincides with the elevation of Brian Ferentz to OC. Wonder if there's a connection.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/10/30/brian-ferentz-will-not-return-iowa-offensive-coordinator-in-2024

Well, the Brian Ferentz era is ending. How much longer does Kirk have??

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1455 on: October 31, 2023, 07:02:30 PM »
This Michigan story is getting wild. Stallions may have been on the sideline of the CMU-MSU game in CMU gear. Even some thoughts he had a camera in his glasses.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1456 on: October 31, 2023, 07:09:02 PM »
This Michigan story is getting wild. Stallions may have been on the sideline of the CMU-MSU game in CMU gear. Even some thoughts he had a camera in his glasses.

It seems like this would be a pretty easy story to refute if it was an actual CMU staffer. So did he have inside access to get himself on the sidelines? A coach? Another guy in the athletic department?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1457 on: November 02, 2023, 09:51:42 PM »
Game winning FG for Duke. Not happy to see Duke Football keep winning games
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1458 on: November 02, 2023, 10:50:17 PM »

and WTF would anyone care if Duke football wins games?

Game winning FG for Duke. Not happy to see Duke Football keep winning games

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1459 on: November 03, 2023, 06:25:42 AM »
North Carolina State coach Dave Doeren calls America a "soft country" ...

Asked at his press conference yesterday about player Jaylon Scott staying at the school for his final year of eligibility, Doeren said:

In today's world, not just football but in general — you see it at the high school level now — kids are picking up and transferring all the time. It's sad. Parents are robbing young people of adversity. “That's okay, honey. Let's do this. That's too hard.” That's sad. That's why we're a soft country.

So there you have it from an expert.

Now, some might say that somebody who is mediocre at his job (40-46 career ACC record) getting paid $5M and then blaming college athletes for America being a soft country is a sign that America's a soft country.

But the fact is that America actually is a soft country because Daryll Morsell transferred to Marquette.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1460 on: November 03, 2023, 06:52:47 AM »
North Carolina State coach Dave Doeren calls America a "soft country" ...

Asked at his press conference yesterday about player Jaylon Scott staying at the school for his final year of eligibility, Doeren said:

In today's world, not just football but in general — you see it at the high school level now — kids are picking up and transferring all the time. It's sad. Parents are robbing young people of adversity. “That's okay, honey. Let's do this. That's too hard.” That's sad. That's why we're a soft country.

So there you have it from an expert.

Now, some might say that somebody who is mediocre at his job (40-46 career ACC record) getting paid $5M and then blaming college athletes for America being a soft country is a sign that America's a soft country.

But the fact is that America actually is a soft country because Daryll Morsell transferred to Marquette.

He also left NIU after two seasons to head to NC State. Which is clearly his right. As is the right for SAs to transfer.

I guess the former is a good career decision while the latter is a reflection on American society. Because of course…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1461 on: November 03, 2023, 06:59:13 AM »
He also left NIU after two seasons to head to NC State. Which is clearly his right. As is the right for SAs to transfer.

I guess the former is a good career decision while the latter is a reflection on American society. Because of course…

Yeah, excellent point. These a-holes have no shame.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1462 on: November 03, 2023, 07:33:28 AM »
I have no love for Doeren and think he's kind of a meathead tool, but outside of the stupid "soft country" ending, I don't think he's entirely wrong.  It's pretty much a given now that if you're a highly ranked recruit and you're not starting by sophomore year, especially as a QB, you're transferring.  Of course it's their right and I don't think its ruining the college game or anything dramatic like that, but it is certainly counter to adversity helping athletes find a different gear through fighting for position or rank.

I also don't think him getting a promotion from NIU to NCSU is an apples to apples comp for this situation, especially since nobody is sitting out anymore.  If he bolted to another mid tier P5 program because he was struggling in Raleigh, then it would be fair.  Not all transfers are the same.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1463 on: November 03, 2023, 07:38:14 AM »
I have no love for Doeren and think he's kind of a meathead tool, but outside of the stupid "soft country" ending, I don't think he's entirely wrong.  It's pretty much a given now that if you're a highly ranked recruit and you're not starting by sophomore year, especially as a QB, you're transferring.  Of course it's their right and I don't think its ruining the college game or anything dramatic like that, but it is certainly counter to adversity helping athletes find a different gear through fighting for position or rank.

The counter to that is maybe the coaching staff sold the kid a bill of goods during the recruiting process, and the realty of the situation is nothing close to that. Doesn't make the kid soft, it makes him smart.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1464 on: November 03, 2023, 07:40:48 AM »
The counter to that is maybe the coaching staff sold the kid a bill of goods during the recruiting process, and the realty of the situation is nothing close to that. Doesn't make the kid soft, it makes him smart.

Kids should have to join the army for a year if they transfer
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1465 on: November 03, 2023, 08:15:29 AM »

Listen, I have nothing against kids transferring.  Its their lives, their careers, their college experience, their mental health, etc...  And I said I thought the statement about the country, players, etc... being "soft" was dumb.  Specifically, the way he phrased his statement negated any decent underlying points

But immediately pushing back on any criticism of how quickly athletes transfer in the current CFB landscape, the number of kids who play at 2/3/4 schools, QBs who transfer in Jan without ever playing a snap, etc... with "these coaches make millions, how dare they complain" is stupid too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1466 on: November 03, 2023, 10:18:24 AM »

I also don't think him getting a promotion from NIU to NCSU is an apples to apples comp for this situation, especially since nobody is sitting out anymore.  If he bolted to another mid tier P5 program because he was struggling in Raleigh, then it would be fair.  Not all transfers are the same.

We'll agree to disagree, Wags.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1468 on: November 04, 2023, 12:14:06 PM »
ND in the process of getting kicked to the curb.

Great day so far.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1469 on: November 04, 2023, 12:20:34 PM »
Need a Badgers win to help the cause

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1470 on: November 04, 2023, 12:29:03 PM »
Indiana has a college football team?

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1472 on: November 04, 2023, 12:52:46 PM »
Indiana has a college football team?

Great day in Bloomington Indiana-----so far. Let's win one for the General.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1473 on: November 04, 2023, 01:04:00 PM »
“Air Raid” offense, my ass.   Fickell /Longo offense should be called the “Clown” offense.  30 yard cross field passes to net 3 yards.  RBs handed off to 6 yards behind LOS needing 1 yard.  RPO with a QB who does not run.

Not to mention zero discipline on the OL with stupid penalties on any positive play.

When you are getting trucked by the worst team in the B10, what are you? 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1474 on: November 04, 2023, 01:26:52 PM »
Badgers coming back.  This would be a big win on the road

feedback