[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 80661 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #500 on: November 21, 2022, 07:25:02 PM »
Fully admit to being totally wrong on this one.  Didn’t think he’d be that attracted to it.  I imagine they will do something crazy to make him a top 5 paid coach for it to happen

Hasn’t been verified by the big boys yet
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #501 on: November 21, 2022, 07:34:12 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #503 on: November 22, 2022, 07:36:01 AM »
As The Athletic's Chris Branch said:

I’d like to note in bold that Kiffin did not deny the possibility of leaving Ole Miss for Auburn. This is how he wins. He looks good to Rebel fans right now, but leaves no embarrassing paper trail of denials if he does take more money and run.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #504 on: November 22, 2022, 08:21:19 AM »
As The Athletic's Chris Branch said:

I’d like to note in bold that Kiffin did not deny the possibility of leaving Ole Miss for Auburn. This is how he wins. He looks good to Rebel fans right now, but leaves no embarrassing paper trail of denials if he does take more money and run.

Right. And he can deny the report that he was going to leave on Friday before the game. He may announce on Sunday or something instead.

And I don't blame him for taking that gig.  Auburn is a way better program.  Ole Miss, despite having some good teams, is still the only program in the SEC  West, outside of the newbie Texas A&M, not to go to a SEC Championship Game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #505 on: November 22, 2022, 08:52:48 AM »
Holtz denied he was going to ND and Barnett denied he was going to Colorado until the day before each bolted (Minnesota and Northwestern, respectively).

Barnett's was shytty because he called a team meeting the day before he bolted and promised his players that he wasn't leaving ... only to go the next day. There are ways to do these things ... but lying to the guys' faces about your loyalty after having just spent years preaching to them about THEIR loyalty is especially turdy.

No idea what Kiffin is telling his players. And like you, I totally get why he'd take the job. Still, it's laughable in the face of all the pearl-clutching that goes on when athletes transfer and/or try to make a buck.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #506 on: November 22, 2022, 05:18:52 PM »
Still, it's laughable in the face of all the pearl-clutching that goes on when athletes transfer and/or try to make a buck.
For the past 100 years there has been a 1,000x more "pearl-clutching" about coaches moving on and 'gamming' schools into more pay than there has been for players.

To this day, the majority of media openly scorns the coaches while cheering the players.

As for the rest of your post, I agree 100%. There are almost no coaches or players you can trust to be loyal or honest. (maybe Jay Wright). It is the game they play and I'd play it the same way.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #507 on: November 22, 2022, 05:25:31 PM »
For the past 100 years there has been a 1,000x more "pearl-clutching" about coaches moving on and 'gamming' schools into more pay than there has been for players.

To this day, the majority of media openly scorns the coaches while cheering the players.

As for the rest of your post, I agree 100%. There are almost no coaches or players you can trust to be loyal or honest. (maybe Jay Wright). It is the game they play and I'd play it the same way.

Many in the media still put coaches on pedestals.  Look no further than those that cover the school 90 miles west of Milwaukee. 

The national media loves to paint coaches as molders of young men and great winners.  New media has eschewed that narrative.  Bruce Feldman breaks a lot of stories because of his contacts, but it takes a lot of superfluous fluff about coaches that don’t deserve it.  It’s still there, but enough new media doesn’t take the bait
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #508 on: November 22, 2022, 06:00:35 PM »
Many in the media still put coaches on pedestals.  Look no further than those that cover the school 90 miles west of Milwaukee. 

The national media loves to paint coaches as molders of young men and great winners.  New media has eschewed that narrative.  Bruce Feldman breaks a lot of stories because of his contacts, but it takes a lot of superfluous fluff about coaches that don’t deserve it.  It’s still there, but enough new media doesn’t take the bait
Fair enough (Madison is a weird place that seems to have the desire to be thought of as cosmopolitan but acts and is very provincial), but look no further than Oklahoma to USC 'transfers'; Lincoln Riley had been criticized way more than Caleb Williams.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #509 on: November 22, 2022, 08:05:33 PM »
I wasn’t talking about the media, I was talking about college sports  fans.

For decades it was A-OK that coaches get paid big bucks and are always free agents … but even suggest that athletes have the kind of freedom all other students have or that they have the right to get compensated for their own NIL like all other students have, and there’s your pearl-clutching.

Just look at the Scoop threads on the subjects over the last couple years.

It’s been especially interesting to see so many advocates of unfettered capitalism and personal freedom saying, “Just be happy with your scholarship, shut up, and entertain me!”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #510 on: November 23, 2022, 03:12:22 PM »
Charges filed against 7 Spartans over the tunnel fracas.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #511 on: November 23, 2022, 04:32:17 PM »
Charges filed against 7 Spartans over the tunnel fracas.
Good thing MSU's athletic dorms share space with the East Lansing jail.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #512 on: November 26, 2022, 07:19:29 AM »
Lots a noise about Matt Rhule heading to Nebraska. His record turning college programs around is pretty impressive, and he did it with recruiting, which will be the key to turning that program around.  But the Big Ten is going to be difficult for a lot of these "next level" program with another blue blood in USC entering the conference in a couple of years.

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Bill Callahan and Mike Riley on their message boards, but I think that is not real accurate.  Callahan was never a college head coach - prior to heading to Nebraska, his biggest college gig was as an OL coach.  Mike Riley won enough at a place with low expectations at Oregon State, and that was never going to work at Nebraska.

I don't think his work with the Panthers has much bearing on his eventual success in college.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #513 on: November 26, 2022, 07:34:16 AM »
Lots a noise about Matt Rhule heading to Nebraska. His record turning college programs around is pretty impressive, and he did it with recruiting, which will be the key to turning that program around.  But the Big Ten is going to be difficult for a lot of these "next level" program with another blue blood in USC entering the conference in a couple of years.

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Bill Callahan and Mike Riley on their message boards, but I think that is not real accurate.  Callahan was never a college head coach - prior to heading to Nebraska, his biggest college gig was as an OL coach.  Mike Riley won enough at a place with low expectations at Oregon State, and that was never going to work at Nebraska.

I don't think his work with the Panthers has much bearing on his eventual success in college.

I’m not sure what Nebraska fan expected when they entered this cycle.  I’d be thrilled if my program got Matt Rhule.  He could fall flat on his face but my hunch is, he’ll run a solid program that is much more competitive and and a lot less inconsistent. 

Nebraska isn’t returning to their heyday but with the right guy, they should be much better than they have been.  They have the fanbase, resources and facilities.  In the NIL era, they’ll have plenty of money. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #514 on: November 26, 2022, 07:53:18 AM »
Rhule probably would take some recruits from Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota and the like, and I think he'd do a solid job there. But I agree with y'all that even Tom Osborne's Ghost can't bring that program back to its heyday.

Nebraska had its day in the sun, which is more than most "football schools" have.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #515 on: November 26, 2022, 10:34:16 AM »
And now Colorado has reportedly offered its head gig to Deion Sanders. This sounds so oil and water that it’s either going to be spectacularly good or spectacularly bad. Either way it will be fun!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #516 on: November 26, 2022, 10:48:50 AM »
And now Colorado has reportedly offered its head gig to Deion Sanders. This sounds so oil and water that it’s either going to be spectacularly good or spectacularly bad. Either way it will be fun!

If he has the support of the Colorado community and NIL setup, that’s a place he can win at.  With the revamped PAC-12, there’s a chance to turn Colorado around

🏀

• All American
« Reply #517 on: November 26, 2022, 10:52:09 AM »
TAMU. How do you like +10 today?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #518 on: November 26, 2022, 12:40:03 PM »
Marquette’s club football team could defend better than Ohio State did on those last two possessions.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #519 on: November 26, 2022, 12:56:08 PM »
TAMU. How do you like +10 today?

Ners can give you some advice on this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #520 on: November 26, 2022, 02:22:22 PM »
I don’t see much Ohio State football, but I can’t believe how bad these OSU defensive backs are.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #521 on: November 26, 2022, 02:25:27 PM »
Not sure about kicking a 57 yard FG from the right hash up 11 with 9:30 left…

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #522 on: November 26, 2022, 02:48:33 PM »
I know they probably won’t, because of their previous hire, but I wonder if David Tepper contacts Shane Beamer’s agent.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #523 on: November 26, 2022, 02:51:49 PM »
Refs gave another one to Michigan

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #524 on: November 26, 2022, 02:53:36 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter