[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 83694 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2022, 01:49:42 PM »
Watching Nebraska fans convince themselves they’re getting Urban Meyer and ending up with Dave Doeren will be wild

Clay Helton? Idk if I'm kidding.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2022, 01:53:51 PM »
Rooting for Mickey Joseph to do a great job

He was fun to watch when he played QB for The Huskers back in the day

Me, too.  That would be a disaster long term
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MU82

• All American
« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2022, 04:28:54 PM »
Michigan went into the 4th quarter with a 46-point lead but Hawaii scored on its first possession of the quarter to make it 49-10. Michigan added a TD to make it 56-10 with about 8 minutes to go, but Hawaii then ate up almost the entirety of the clock before failing on 4th down at the Michigan 2 ... so Michigan ended up winning by "only" 46.

In other words, Michigan failed to cover.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2022, 02:09:58 PM »
Nebraska getting blown out by Oklahoma
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2022, 02:14:57 PM »
Nebraska getting blown out by Oklahoma

Started out hot, fired up, and motivated for Mickey Joseph...then reality set in

tower912

• All American
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2022, 02:24:07 PM »
The second Gerry Faust era.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2022, 05:48:31 PM »
bucky taking out frustration on nm state much like the pack is going to do against da bears(still suck)tomorrow

don't...don't don't don't don't

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2022, 11:59:29 AM »
If Trev Albert’s hasn’t offered Lance Leipold $10 million a year to coach the Huskers by now he’s not serious about turning that program around.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2022, 12:11:41 PM »
If Trev Albert’s hasn’t offered Lance Leipold $10 million a year to coach the Huskers by now he’s not serious about turning that program around.

Not sexy enough.  I agree, though.  If I were a Big Ten West Coach, I wouldn’t want him on the other sideline

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2022, 01:18:30 PM »
Not sexy enough.  I agree, though.  If I were a Big Ten West Coach, I wouldn’t want him on the other sideline

He would do great things there.  I don't know if there is a more blinding example of being the real deal.

We all know the Whitewater accolades.  But he turned Buffalo around and into a top 25 team in a HURRY.  And that was a garbage program.  He had the best winning percentage since they went D-1 and that was even with inheriting a terrible program.  Turner Gill won a little bit but his best years were nothing compared to Leipold.

He's got more to prove than winning 3 in a row, but man, thats an impressive start to year 2

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2022, 01:48:43 PM »
He would do great things there.  I don't know if there is a more blinding example of being the real deal.

We all know the Whitewater accolades.  But he turned Buffalo around and into a top 25 team in a HURRY.  And that was a garbage program.  He had the best winning percentage since they went D-1 and that was even with inheriting a terrible program.  Turner Gill won a little bit but his best years were nothing compared to Leipold.

He's got more to prove than winning 3 in a row, but man, thats an impressive start to year 2

It’s entirely possible they finish 5-7 or something like that, too.  I’d still hire him.  You saw by the end of last year, Kansas wasn’t overly talented but they weren’t the same old Kansas.  They’ll ruin someone’s Big XII title hopes this year

MU82

• All American
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2022, 02:31:20 PM »
Gotta at least call Billy Donovan!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2022, 02:35:40 PM »
Hologram Tom Osborne.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2022, 04:43:11 PM »

He has had the same OC and DC since Whitewater too. 

Also used to work at Nebraska and at Nebraska-Omaha when it had football as a D2 program.  His wife is from Nebraska as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2022, 05:12:10 PM »
Herm Edwards fired at Arizona State.

Urban Meyer at ASU would be something. Seems like destiny at this point.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2022, 09:02:07 AM »
Bedlam is dead.
Oklahoma and Okie State say they won't play one another after the Sooners move to the SEC.
Another reason realignment sucks.

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2022, 09:06:35 AM »
Bedlam is dead.
Oklahoma and Okie State say they won't play one another after the Sooners move to the SEC.

Eh. If the schools wanted to play, they most definitely could. Maybe they just don't want to because they are annoyed at one another and contracts with other schools make it difficult in the short term. But they could definitely bring back this rivalry after a couple of years.

Texas and Texas Tech are playing every year post realignment. And other SEC schools play rivalry games outside the SEC (Georgia, Florida, South Carolina...)  There is no reason why Bedlam has to go away.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2022, 09:43:11 AM »
Bedlam is dead.
Yep, sad to see. I'd guess ND-USC is going to end soon too. Texas v TA&M used to be a good game too. Lots of rivalries dying. But new ones will emerge.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2022, 09:56:29 AM »
Yep, sad to see. I'd guess ND-USC is going to end soon too. Texas v TA&M used to be a good game too. Lots of rivalries dying. But new ones will emerge.

Who is Maryland’s rival in football or basketball?  Texas A&M?  Missouri?  I guess rivalries can emerge but they sure haven’t yet for most schools that have moved conferences. 

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2022, 10:10:31 AM »
Who is Maryland’s rival in football or basketball?  Texas A&M?  Missouri?  I guess rivalries can emerge but they sure haven’t yet for most schools that have moved conferences. 

What do you mean by "rival?"  Does A&M have an arch-rival a la Texas in the SEC?  No, but they certainly have rivalry-type games with the likes of LSU.

Do you think that A&M fans regret going to the SEC even if it means sacrificing the Texas rivalry? Doubtful. And regardless, these games COULD have continued if both schools wanted to. They just chose not to.

And one of the reasons they chose not to is because the stands are full and people will still watch. I think people get a little over-nostalgic for these things, when it reality they are ever-changing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2022, 10:12:26 AM »

TU vs. TA&M is coming back baby!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2022, 10:21:20 AM »
TU vs. TA&M is coming back baby!

Despite what I said above, I do think my favorite part of this rivalry is that A&M's fight song is entirely about how much they hate Texas and want to saw the horns off their mascot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h7T_zbPGBw&t=2s

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2022, 11:02:15 AM »
Despite what I said above, I do think my favorite part of this rivalry is that A&M's fight song is entirely about how much they hate Texas and want to saw the horns off their mascot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h7T_zbPGBw&t=2s

While I certainly cheer for TAMU, we are the definition of little brother syndrome
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2022, 11:50:15 AM »

What do you mean by "rival?"  Does A&M have an arch-rival a la Texas in the SEC?  No, but they certainly have rivalry-type games with the likes of LSU.

Do you think that A&M fans regret going to the SEC even if it means sacrificing the Texas rivalry? Doubtful. And regardless, these games COULD have continued if both schools wanted to. They just chose not to.

And one of the reasons they chose not to is because the stands are full and people will still watch. I think people get a little over-nostalgic for these things, when it reality they are ever-changing.

A&M fans may not want to go back but there’s a couple of things at play with that thought.  They thought they were leaving Texas behind and “sticking” it to them.  Also, the SEC establishment still looks at A&M as just another school and nothing other than that.  They don’t have rivalries.  They have 4+ hour games because commercials

No school is looking back because their pocketbooks are flush.  But let’s not kid ourselves, none of these schools have gotten better on the field or on the court because  of the moves.  I’d argue most have gotten worse and in most cases, lack an identity.  If A&M wasn’t paying Jimbo Fisher the GDP equivalent of a third world nation, they’d hardly register in the consciousness. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2022, 01:39:16 PM »
Herm Edwards fired at Arizona State.

Urban Meyer at ASU would be something. Seems like destiny at this point.

Nah.  He'll sit and take TV money unless a marquee job opens up, ASU co-ed jokes aside