[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sea Lions vs Dumbass Humans  (Read 2992 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Sea Lions vs Dumbass Humans
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2022, 06:25:36 AM »
4000 Beagles have been rescued from a disgusting breeding and "research" facility in Virginia.  This makes me sick to my stomach,   Thankfully a few non-profits in the area have taken many of them in and they will also be transferred to Humane Societies across the country.  Those responsible (Envigo) for torturing these pups should  be imprisoned immediately  for life with zero chance of parole.   Absolutely sickening. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 06:31:54 AM by MuggsyB »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2022, 07:01:23 AM »
4000 Beagles have been rescued from a disgusting breeding and "research" facility in Virginia.  This makes me sick to my stomach,   Thankfully a few non-profits in the area have taken many of them in and they will also be transferred to Humane Societies across the country.  Those responsible (Envigo) for torturing these pups should  be imprisoned immediately  for life with zero chance of parole.   Absolutely sickening.
Beagles are a fun breed. Hopefully they all find good homes
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2022, 07:46:36 AM »

The facility is in Buckingham County, is just across the James River from our county. We have a sweet-natured beagle, 15 years old and ailing so our remaining time together will be coming to an end soon. Beagles are very plentiful in our area so getting them adopted locally, even with a modest fee, is very, very difficult. It's a case of too few adopters and far too many beagles as well as other dogs. THE SPCA in my county came up with a creative (although far from easy) solution. They occasionally run a van full of beagles and sometimes kittens to a Boston area SPCA where there are adopters eager to get a beagle.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2022, 07:56:19 AM »
The facility is in Buckingham County, is just across the James River from our county. We have a sweet-natured beagle, 15 years old and ailing so our remaining time together will be coming to an end soon. Beagles are very plentiful in our area so getting them adopted locally, even with a modest fee, is very, very difficult. It's a case of too few adopters and far too many beagles as well as other dogs. THE SPCA in my county came up with a creative (although far from easy) solution. They occasionally run a van full of beagles and sometimes kittens to a Boston area SPCA where there are adopters eager to get a beagle.

I have mentioned that my wife and I have fostered and adopted dogs before. These dogs aren't local, but have been brought here from places like Texas. There are a lot of charities that do work similar to what you mention about the SPCA.

Multiple times, I have witnessed a dog's first time experiencing snow. It's just fascinating.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2022, 08:09:56 AM »

I have mentioned that my wife and I have fostered and adopted dogs before. These dogs aren't local, but have been brought here from places like Texas. There are a lot of charities that do work similar to what you mention about the SPCA.

Multiple times, I have witnessed a dog's first time experiencing snow. It's just fascinating.

The fundamental problem is the blatant disregard that many rural (and sometimes urban as well) dog and cat owners have towards spaying and neutering. Even when the service is free and vets travel with their equipment and supplies, working from the back of a pickup truck, some dog owners refuse to have their dogs "fixed". One of the persistent myths is that then the dogs won't hunt. When an older dog does no longer hunts to the owner's expectation, sometimes he will shoot it on the spot.

Edit: I went off on a bit of a rant. Thanks for caring for the shelter dogs. And yeah, dogs experiencing their first snows are really fun to watch!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 08:51:09 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2022, 11:20:13 AM »

I'm sorry for your troubles Scoop Snoop.  Enjoy the time you have together, yes.  I have a Beagle mutt mix (Gatsby) that I adopted from a local shelter.  He's a very good boy but was skiddish about a number of things when I took him home.  He's perfect now but still doesn't like vacuums or squirrels.  Anyway, let's hope these Beagles find loving homes ASAP.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2022, 11:22:47 AM »
The fundamental problem is the blatant disregard that many rural (and sometimes urban as well) dog and cat owners have towards spaying and neutering. Even when the service is free and vets travel with their equipment and supplies, working from the back of a pickup truck, some dog owners refuse to have their dogs "fixed". One of the persistent myths is that then the dogs won't hunt. When an older dog does no longer hunts to the owner's expectation, sometimes he will shoot it on the spot.

Edit: I went off on a bit of a rant. Thanks for caring for the shelter dogs. And yeah, dogs experiencing their first snows are really fun to watch!

my wife and I have had nothing but rescue cats - shelter and rescue org. It's like they have a greater appreciation of their new staff.

My old assistant got a rescue pup last fall. The videos of him experiencing his first snow were hilarious. He looked like a dolphin diving into the snow and then leaping out.

People who abandon or abuse pets have a special place in Hell waiting for them.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2022, 11:28:30 AM »

Thank you for taking care of them.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2022, 11:57:51 AM »
my wife and I have had nothing but rescue cats - shelter and rescue org. It's like they have a greater appreciation of their new staff.

My old assistant got a rescue pup last fall. The videos of him experiencing his first snow were hilarious. He looked like a dolphin diving into the snow and then leaping out.

People who abandon or abuse pets have a special place in Hell waiting for them.

Agree, but sometimes there is a happy ending. Enjoy this video! 

https://www.yahoo.com/now/man-rescues-13-kittens-side-123008642.html

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2022, 12:01:15 PM »
We have 3 rescue cats. Our oldest cat was formerly employed as a test cat by the local medical school to practice intubation. Thankfully, this process is no longer used.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2022, 12:53:49 PM »
We have 3 rescue cats. Our oldest cat was formerly employed as a test cat by the local medical school to practice intubation. Thankfully, this process is no longer used.

We had two cats but sadly, one died about 1 1/2 years ago "before his time". They were rescues in a different way- dumped by low-life humans and left to fend for themselves as kittens.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2022, 01:24:43 PM »
Agree, but sometimes there is a happy ending. Enjoy this video! 

https://www.yahoo.com/now/man-rescues-13-kittens-side-123008642.html

Taken out of context, I would be very, very concerned about clicking on that link.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2022, 01:29:47 PM »

Were they breeding them to shut up?  Otherwise, why bother.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2022, 01:41:57 PM »
We had two cats but sadly, one died about 1 1/2 years ago "before his time". They were rescues in a different way- dumped by low-life humans and left to fend for themselves as kittens.

our first two were surrendered due to moves. I can kind of understand that, but I moved my last cat across the country three times so I'm not that sympathetic. He had more frequent flyer miles than some people.  My current cat was just left at a house by her old owners. The new people moved in and wondered why there was a pile of cat food in the backyard. They at least tried to acclimate her to their cat and dog, but she wasn't having it, so they took her to a rescue org. The first time we moved she freaked out at the boxes, obvious PTSD. She's got one hell of a life now.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »
My wife and I went out of town for a weekend for a family gathering.
When we returned, there was a cardboard box on our front yard.
The box was taped shut with some crude holes punched in the side.
On top of the box it said "Free Kitten"
I opened it up and sure enough, this scared little kitten with big eyes was staring at me.
We took it to the vet to be checked out.
He told us to bulk it up and give it attention for a week and then bring it back to the vet for adoption.
Hopefully someone adopted it.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2022, 11:00:18 AM »
My wife and I went out of town for a weekend for a family gathering.
When we returned, there was a cardboard box on our front yard.
The box was taped shut with some crude holes punched in the side.
On top of the box it said "Free Kitten"
I opened it up and sure enough, this scared little kitten with big eyes was staring at me.
We took it to the vet to be checked out.
He told us to bulk it up and give it attention for a week and then bring it back to the vet for adoption.
Hopefully someone adopted it.

My wife's hairdresser had her own shop space and was a volunteer with getting animals adopted. She chuckled when she revealed her method of finding homes for litters of kittens. She would bring the litter into her shop and ask her client "would you like to hold one of the kittens while I cut your hair? " Within maybe 5 minutes the memorized client would ask "so when will they be ready for adoption?"

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2022, 11:03:17 AM »
Yea, my wife said if she had the kitten any longer she would have to keep it.
It was a riot, enjoyed doing somersaults.
We had two adult cats, so keeping the kitten would have been difficult.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2022, 12:02:16 PM »
My wife's hairdresser had her own shop space and was a volunteer with getting animals adopted. She chuckled when she revealed her method of finding homes for litters of kittens. She would bring the litter into her shop and ask her client "would you like to hold one of the kittens while I cut your hair? " Within maybe 5 minutes the memorized client would ask "so when will they be ready for adoption?"

This is why when my wife and I do volunteer work for rescue orgs isn't at the shelter! 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2022, 02:53:53 PM »

We used to foster for a few different dog rescues and facilities like this or puppy mills are always tough. Our orgs took a lot of mill dogs, and while it was better than letting the mill just put them down, having rescues to dump their old breeding dogs to allowed the mills to keep operating. In a sense, all the independent rescues help the mill businesses keep their operations going. I always wondered about the moral quandary that saving the individual dog in front of you was good for that dog, but was it worse for the next breeder the mill would replace it with?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2022, 09:39:48 AM »

An awesome update....

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/28/us/beagles-rescue-envigo.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2022, 12:17:14 PM »
You need a NYT account to read this.

No sh*t.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2022, 01:05:54 PM »
Climate change is killing more elephants than poaching, Kenyan officials say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/07/28/kenya-elephants-drought-climate-change/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F377eb7b%2F62e2b0c7cfe8a216010acd91%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F27%2F72%2F62e2b0c7cfe8a216010acd91&wp_cu=b1005792a416de1fbe1f17e5cf366b7d%7CB1FF71CA724A36FAE0530100007F88D6

Illegal ivory poaching once posed a significant threat to Kenya’s elephants. But now the giants of the animal kingdom are facing an even bigger risk: climate change.

As Kenya battles its worst drought in four decades, the crisis is killing 20 times more elephants than poaching, according to officials. They cite desiccated carcasses found in Tsavo National Park, where much wildlife has fled in recent years in search of water.

To survive, elephants require vast landscapes for foraging. Adults can consume 300 pounds of food and more than 50 gallons of water a day. But rivers, soil and grassland are drying up, resulting in a barren and deadly environment.

In the last year, at least 179 elephants have died of thirst, whereas poaching has claimed the lives of fewer than 10, Kenyan Tourism and Wildlife Secretary Najib Balala told the BBC. “It is a red alarm,” he said of the crisis.

Balala suggested that so much time and effort has been spent tackling the issue of poaching that environmental issues have been neglected.

“We have forgotten to invest into biodiversity management and ecosystems,” he said. “We have invested only in illegal wildlife trade and poaching.”

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback