[Today at 04:43:17 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by GoFastAndWin
[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 British Open Championship Thread  (Read 16020 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022 British Open Championship Thread
« Reply #275 on: July 18, 2022, 01:13:35 PM »
Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

As a casual golf fan, I might watch a little of the President's Cup (which actually is in Charlotte this year, but I'm not going). Otherwise, see y'all the second weekend of April!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #276 on: July 18, 2022, 01:22:16 PM »
If Feherty goes to LIV, I may have to figure out a new voice in my head to narrate my rounds.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #277 on: July 18, 2022, 02:06:42 PM »
How exactly are people going to qualify for the majors if they go to LIV?  Asian Tour points?  I assume there are young players that have no certainty that they will get a PGA tour card.  I could see LIV poaching these players pretty easily with up front money

I think the sport/game of golf  will have a very rough 3-5 yrs if these rumors come to pass.  LIV will not get a TV contract.  There seem to be a lot of asshats involved in this whole thing beyond the obvious asshats.   That's my perception. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 02:10:50 PM by MuggsyB »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #278 on: July 18, 2022, 02:14:05 PM »
If enough big names go, LIV will get a TV contract.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #279 on: July 18, 2022, 02:21:43 PM »

I would find a way to blackball every single LIV member from participating in the Majors and then see what happens.   Just sayin..  I believe it can be done. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #280 on: July 18, 2022, 02:26:45 PM »

I also think the shotgun starts will disappear too.  Maybe still only be 54 holes, but otherwise I think it will be no gimmick cause it wont be needed.

• All American
« Reply #281 on: July 18, 2022, 02:30:34 PM »
I would find a way to blackball every single LIV member from participating in the Majors and then see what happens.   Just sayin..  I believe it can be done. 

The Masters, US Open and British Open have no reason to blackball LIV golfers.  Furthermore doing this may be in violation of American anti-trust law.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/us-probing-pga-tour-it-fights-off-rival-liv-golf-2022-07-11/

Look, we know how unsavory LIV is for a multitude of reasons. But it is doing businesses legally in the United States. If the PGA is indeed a superior product for whatever reason, the eyeballs and money will follow.

This is really no different than the USFL giving Herschel Walker a big contract back in the day.  (And the good news is that the guys behind LIV are way less unsavory than the guy who gave Walker that contract.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #282 on: July 18, 2022, 02:38:52 PM »
I also think the shotgun starts will disappear too.  Maybe still only be 54 holes, but otherwise I think it will be no gimmick cause it wont be needed.

I actually kinda like the shotgun start concept. It makes it a shorter TV product with the potential to create drama.

The team thing is strange though.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #283 on: July 18, 2022, 02:41:14 PM »

I do wonder if there will be some dog catches car type of scenario if things keep progressing this way. I’ll be honest, I didn’t see LIV getting this much traction. If they do get more players, I’ll be interested to see if they are able to run the tour in a way that keeps players happy. The big paychecks are a nice start though.

Maybe this is over dramatic, but if some of the international guys switch over, I don’t see the value proposition of the PGA other than we aren’t the Saudi’s. I don’t know if the fields would be any higher quality with many more defections.

If LIV has a reasonable way to qualify for the majors, it’s going to be very interesting.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #284 on: July 18, 2022, 03:05:39 PM »

I actually kinda like the shotgun start concept. It makes it a shorter TV product with the potential to create drama.

The team thing is strange though.

The shotgun starts are idiotic. 

• All American
« Reply #285 on: July 18, 2022, 03:07:30 PM »
The shotgun starts are idiotic. 

LOL. Substantive as always...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #286 on: July 18, 2022, 03:15:15 PM »
LOL. Substantive as always...

Wildly disagree on the shotgun start.  If golf wasn’t a TV product, I’d have no problem with it.  No one wants to see Cam finishing on 11 yesterday with Rory finishing on 10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #287 on: July 18, 2022, 03:19:36 PM »
Muggs

I am with you 100% on the shotgun being foolish. I really think the beauty of traditional 72-hole golf is playing the course beginning at one. There are many great courses that feature outstanding finishing hole(s) and knowing they are the finishing holes makes it exciting IMO. I think 17 and 18 at SA is a perfect example of this and knowing that the leaders could stumble on 17 or go for broke on 18 made it exciting to the end. The shotgun format is definitely geared for fringe golf fans, and I believe they will go to traditional format because of the number of players signing up.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #288 on: July 18, 2022, 03:20:14 PM »
Wildly disagree on the shotgun start.  If golf wasn’t a TV product, I’d have no problem with it.  No one wants to see Cam finishing on 11 yesterday with Rory finishing on 10

Exactly.  And not to mention the entire tournament could play differently if you don't play the holes in sequence.    Fluffy has no idea what he's talking about Uncle R. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #289 on: July 18, 2022, 03:23:37 PM »
Muggs

I am with you 100% on the shotgun being foolish. I really think the beauty of traditional 72-hole golf is playing the course beginning at one. There are many great courses that feature outstanding finishing hole(s) and knowing they are the finishing holes makes it exciting IMO. I think 17 and 18 at SA is a perfect example of this and knowing that the leaders could stumble on 17 or go for broke on 18 made it exciting to the end. The shotgun format is definitely geared for fringe golf fans, and I believe they will go to traditional format because of the number of players signing up.

Yes Goose.  Does Fluffy really believe that two people vying to win a tournament want to finish on 6 and 13 as opposed to 18?  There's a reason courses have.a layout and the 18th is generally a signature hole.  Oh.. and what happens say if there's a playoff?  Does one player play 6 while the other plays 14?  This is moronic Goose.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 03:25:29 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2022, 03:27:26 PM »
For all we know Fluffy wants overhand serves in ping pong because this is the new age.  Smh.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »
Muggs

I really felt everything great about a traditional 72-hole tournament was evident this weekend. I realize the days/week are grueling both physically and emotionally for the guys in the hunt, but I could not imagine a cooler feeling in the world playing in the final match at SA or any major for that matter.

LIV is a gimmick, but a high paying gimmick and we will see where it ends up. I still believe we will see a defector from LIV before the end of the year. There are going to be too many players and not enough spots to play everyone. IMO, I think LIV should stop with 40-50 also rans and chase young guys. To be honest, watching Lee Westwood, Stenson and Bubba battle it out is not that appealing to me. That said, I am sure that would get the shotgun backers attention.

• All American
« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2022, 03:39:46 PM »
For all we know Fluffy wants overhand serves in ping pong because this is the new age.  Smh.

I really don’t care at all about ping pong.

And honestly I don’t watch golf much so it’s no biggie to me. I can just see the allure from a TV perspective. I also don’t buy into golf’s over-romanticism like others apparently do.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #294 on: July 18, 2022, 04:07:36 PM »
Muggs

I really felt everything great about a traditional 72-hole tournament was evident this weekend. I realize the days/week are grueling both physically and emotionally for the guys in the hunt, but I could not imagine a cooler feeling in the world playing in the final match at SA or any major for that matter.

LIV is a gimmick, but a high paying gimmick and we will see where it ends up. I still believe we will see a defector from LIV before the end of the year. There are going to be too many players and not enough spots to play everyone. IMO, I think LIV should stop with 40-50 also rans and chase young guys. To be honest, watching Lee Westwood, Stenson and Bubba battle it out is not that appealing to me. That said, I am sure that would get the shotgun backers attention.

But Fluffy's apparently intrigued Goose by the "shotgun starts".  Maybe he wants Wimbledon to move from a grass court to a high school gym?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #295 on: July 18, 2022, 04:08:11 PM »
The Masters, US Open and British Open have no reason to blackball LIV golfers.  Furthermore doing this may be in violation of American anti-trust law.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/us-probing-pga-tour-it-fights-off-rival-liv-golf-2022-07-11/

Look, we know how unsavory LIV is for a multitude of reasons. But it is doing businesses legally in the United States. If the PGA is indeed a superior product for whatever reason, the eyeballs and money will follow.

This is really no different than the USFL giving Herschel Walker a big contract back in the day.  (And the good news is that the guys behind LIV are way less unsavory than the guy who gave Walker that contract.)

Masters is an invitational. They have an out clause, they can do what they want.

Muggs and Goose can continue to clutch pearls, but LIV is happening. They will have the better field in due time. If the OWGR doesn’t recognize it, then they are a useless organization and no longer viable.

• All American
« Reply #296 on: July 18, 2022, 04:10:41 PM »
But Fluffy's apparently intrigued Goose by the "shotgun starts".  Maybe he wants Wimbledon to move from a grass court to a high school gym?

Again, when you want to engage in something other than absurdities and chicken little comments, let me know. Otherwise don’t expect me to take you seriously.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #297 on: July 18, 2022, 04:12:03 PM »
I really don’t care at all about ping pong.

And honestly I don’t watch golf much so it’s no biggie to me. I can just see the allure from a TV perspective. I also don’t buy into golf’s over-romanticism like others apparently do.

We're aware of this Fluffy.  You're riveted as much by the Clown  mini golf hole in Happy Gilmore as you are by Amen Corner. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #298 on: July 18, 2022, 04:13:45 PM »
Again, when you want to engage in something other than absurdities and chicken little comments, let me know. Otherwise don’t expect me to take you seriously.

You're defensive because you know damn well your comments are absurd. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #299 on: July 18, 2022, 04:16:20 PM »
You're defensive because you know damn well your comments are absurd. 

Are you NateDogg?