collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 British Open Championship Thread  (Read 15668 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
2022 British Open Championship Thread
« on: July 10, 2022, 01:52:03 PM »
150th Open Championship at St. Andrews.

Olympic Gold Medalist Xander Schauffele has won two tournaments in a row (with a star studded Pro Am victory in between). Is the hottest golfer right now. Can he stay hot and win his first Major?

I think Morikowa has a good shot at repeating

Rory needs to put 4 good rounds together. Seems like he has had one bad round in the recent majors.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:33:22 AM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
Re: 2022 British Open Championship Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 06:46:32 AM »
If the wind lays down, somebody is going to shoot 59.   Maybe more than one somebody.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 07:50:32 AM »
It’s the Open
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 09:08:37 AM »
If the wind lays down, somebody is going to shoot 59.   Maybe more than one somebody.

If the wind is down, Morikawa is probably the horse to beat. If the wind is up, Fitzy looks good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 10:07:07 AM »
Expectations for Tiger are so much more realistic now than before the Masters. I hope he enjoys the experience and stays healthy.

I'll pick Rory ... but I think I picked him for a couple other majors this year, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 11:00:45 AM »
Lowry?
Seamus Power?
Joaquin Niemann?

I just have a feeling it won't be one of the favorites.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 11:28:22 AM »
Rory by half a dozen shots

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 12:45:26 PM »
Rory by half a dozen shots

And then he leaves for the LIV?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 12:55:37 PM »
And then he leaves for the LIV?

Then he takes a dump on Greg Norman’s porch

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 05:59:44 PM »
Then he takes a dump on Greg Norman’s porch

That would be much more satisfying, both for Rory and for the rest of us.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 01:38:12 AM »
We spent 10 hours at St. Andrews yesterday and was a fantastic day. Heading back today for our second day of practice round tickets. This is my first trip to Scotland and St. Andrews and just a few random thoughts/comments:

1. Unlike Augusta, TV makes St. Andrews look more daunting. The course was far different than I expected yet exceeded very high expectations. I definitely see why so many great players call it their favorite course. Fingers crossed that I can someday come back and play it.
2. Crowds were small and we were up close and personal with the players. We were in 17th tee for the Champions event and the guys were within twenty feet of us.
3. The event is much less commercial than majors in the USA and prices are very reasonable. Never waiting in line for food/drinks or bathroom.
4. I have never seen ground so hard in my life and the ball goes forever. They boys will be shooting low scores this week, IMO.
5. Again, I have blown away by the course, the history of St. Andrews and seeing all time greats. Saw Jack on 18 and a real highlight of my golf memories.
6. We stayed late enough that we were able to get multiple pictures on Swilken Bridge, literally within 10-15 minutes after Tiger & Co concluded their pictures.
7. Lastly, I got sunburn at St. Andrews and it has been hot since we got here. Wind is blowing, but needs to pick up big time before the weekend.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 06:14:05 AM »
We spent 10 hours at St. Andrews yesterday and was a fantastic day. Heading back today for our second day of practice round tickets. This is my first trip to Scotland and St. Andrews and just a few random thoughts/comments:

1. Unlike Augusta, TV makes St. Andrews look more daunting. The course was far different than I expected yet exceeded very high expectations. I definitely see why so many great players call it their favorite course. Fingers crossed that I can someday come back and play it.
2. Crowds were small and we were up close and personal with the players. We were in 17th tee for the Champions event and the guys were within twenty feet of us.
3. The event is much less commercial than majors in the USA and prices are very reasonable. Never waiting in line for food/drinks or bathroom.
4. I have never seen ground so hard in my life and the ball goes forever. They boys will be shooting low scores this week, IMO.
5. Again, I have blown away by the course, the history of St. Andrews and seeing all time greats. Saw Jack on 18 and a real highlight of my golf memories.
6. We stayed late enough that we were able to get multiple pictures on Swilken Bridge, literally within 10-15 minutes after Tiger & Co concluded their pictures.
7. Lastly, I got sunburn at St. Andrews and it has been hot since we got here. Wind is blowing, but needs to pick up big time before the weekend.
Have fun and keep up the reports .
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 07:55:51 AM »
Sounds like a blast, Goose. Enjoy yourself (you already are), and safe travels.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 08:22:36 AM »

Awesome!  Have a great time Goose.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 08:45:58 AM »
Tiger firing on Norman:

“Greg has done some things that I don’t think are in the best interest of our game.”

And ripping players who have left the PGA for the Saudi tour:

"They've turned their backs on what got them into this position."

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 09:23:59 AM »
Tiger firing on Norman:

“Greg has done some things that I don’t think are in the best interest of our game.”

Not sure that Eldrick is in a position to judge people for personal decisions.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 09:26:41 AM »
Tiger firing on Norman:

"What got them into this position" was their ability to play golf. They don't owe the PGA anything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 10:54:52 AM »
Just the messenger, folks.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2022, 12:25:27 PM »
Not sure that Eldrick is in a position to judge people for personal decisions.

Why not?  He would know better than most

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2022, 12:35:34 PM »
"What got them into this position" was their ability to play golf. They don't owe the PGA anything.
Of course they don't owe the PGA anything, but the PGA allowed them to make lots of money and gave them a platform to earn even more off the course.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2022, 12:37:07 PM »
Rory thinks Tiger can contend this week. What a story that would be.

https://twitter.com/KylePorterCBS/status/1546779895551983616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1546779895551983616%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthespun.com%2Fmore%2Fgolf%2Frory-mcilroy-reveals-if-he-thinks-tiger-woods-can-win-this-week

Mark that on everyone's bingo board.

There was literally a headline yesterday that Tiger played a full 18 at St Andrews...but yes, lets feed the narrative that he can do that 4 times at a high level and win.  YAWN

Rory is the PGA's best mouthpiece right now, might as well drum up clicks and headlines.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 12:54:58 PM »
Of course they don't owe the PGA anything, but the PGA allowed them to make lots of money and gave them a platform to earn even more off the course.

No, the PGA didn't allow them to make lots of money.  They earned the money they made because they played golf well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback