[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Where does basketball stand amid the latest realignment?

Not to worry, nothing has changed
37 (34.6%)
It ain't football but even the NCAA can't screw it up
17 (15.9%)
Basketball doesn't matter except as entertainment between football and spring football
28 (26.2%)
Good God, are we screwed?
25 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Our future  (Read 11116 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Our future
« on: June 30, 2022, 10:44:50 PM »
I'm rather concerned about basketball as we know it amid the latest realignment. Everything is football focused and when the BIG invites USC and UCLA to join Rutgers and Maryland in the same conference you know we have issues.

For Marquette, a non-football school with a heavy basketball tradition, the question has to be whether we have a future playing at the highest levels of college athletics. I'm concerned because despite our investment in our program, the dollars and the professional amateurism of the major conferences will be difficult to compete against in the years ahead.

I get that Gonzaga, Villanova, Butler and Loyola all have had success in recent years. We have a great coach and first class facilities. But between NIL and what soon will be direct payments to college athletes, do we have the backing and the long-term support necessary to compete against BIG teams. Or the SEC. Would an up-and-coming coach like Al come to or stay with Marquette in the next few decades?

I'd like to think the answer is, "absolutely!" But I have some concerns that as conference realignment and strengthening continues, basketball is an after-thought and we gte left behind. Thoughts?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Our future
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 11:00:55 PM »
I'm not sure about the four options but Marquette is going to be fine moving forward.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 11:01:50 PM »
I enjoy we can spread our NIL amongst 13 players instead of 98 like schools with football and basketball with the focus towards football.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 11:35:23 PM »
You guys aren’t thinking far enough ahead. Projected revenues for football are not taking into account a severe recession on the horizon. Also, has anyone paid attention to the continuing health and safety issues that will limit youth participation in football for years to come? Football is absolutely NOT the future, no matter how ridiculous the numbers are now. You think football is a drain on Athletic Departments now? Just wait. Basketball has a much much brighter future. The BigEast will position itself to capitalize. There is no doubt in my mind.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 12:46:17 AM »
"Would an up-and-coming coach like Al come to or stay with Marquette in the next few decades?"

Shaka just turned 45 and has 291 career wins with a trip to the Final Four. He also left Texas because they were too football-centric.

If we do this right we won't have to worry about a new head coach in the next few decades.
VIOLENCE!

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 03:50:59 AM »
I believe the non-football/non-BCS schools will be fine going forward with Basketball.

Now on the other hand if you have a good basketball program and a crappy football program you are at risk of being left behind. A lot of the schol sgetting left are going to have to look at football and make the decision of whether it is worth it to stay at an FBS level, i.e. Kansa, Arizona, Arizona St., Kansas St., etc....

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 05:11:56 AM »
You guys aren’t thinking far enough ahead. Projected revenues for football are not taking into account a severe recession on the horizon. Also, has anyone paid attention to the continuing health and safety issues that will limit youth participation in football for years to come? Football is absolutely NOT the future, no matter how ridiculous the numbers are now. You think football is a drain on Athletic Departments now? Just wait. Basketball has a much much brighter future. The BigEast will position itself to capitalize. There is no doubt in my mind.

Been hearing this for about 30 years now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 05:56:01 AM »
"Would an up-and-coming coach like Al come to or stay with Marquette in the next few decades?"

Shaka just turned 45 and has 291 career wins with a trip to the Final Four. He also left Texas because they were too football-centric.

If we do this right we won't have to worry about a new head coach in the next few decades.

He left because if he didn’t make a major run in the NCAA Tournament the next year he would’ve been fired.

Been hearing this for about 30 years now.

Exactly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 06:01:02 AM »

This came to mind as well and I’m curious as to what youth football is like now. When I was in 4th, 5th, etc grade there was such a large percentage of kids going out for football. Wonder if it’s the same now.

I don’t think football will be dead but kids nowadays are much different than they were 20 years ago. We are at least 10 years away from really being able to understand the impact of that though.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 06:18:39 AM »
What is to stop the top 30-40 schools with football teams from flipping the table and making their 'brand' an exclusive league?

Furthermore, once this is accomplished and basically every media market is covered by one of these schools... where does that leave teams like us?  We don't bring in football revenue, and we'd just be another mouth to feed.

I dunno man, sort of scary times as an MU fan.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 06:22:17 AM »
What is to stop the top 30-40 schools with football teams from flipping the table and making their 'brand' an exclusive league?

I don't think this is the most likely outcome but it is possible.  If it does happen, I think it will be just football s league,  the other sports will continue on in the NCAA.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 06:27:20 AM »
the NIL and MU and all smaller market programs for that matter was a concern of mine right out of the gate. i believe we have enough individual/alumni big money on our sidelines, but do we have a large enough market to justify or support a company/product investment in an MU athlete. 

what comes first-the "super star", the "dwayne wade" and then the NIL$$ or do we need the NIL's to attract the "super stars"?  does a company take a flier on certain players they believe will be good investments?  make an escalating, non guaranteed offer?  not sure what the rules are(half a chuckle).  this is where the witchita states can become b-ball memories

i think shaka is a great start and  i believe MU brings an excellent opportunity for a good kid or 2 or 3(amigos) to become great, carry a program, shine the light on it and they(NIL's) will come.  MU has shown it can give it's athletes the stage.  they need to put on a show.  look at the attention a ja morant, a steph curry can bring to a smaller school
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 06:42:53 AM »
Maybe the Saudis will fund us.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 06:44:58 AM »
the NIL and MU and all smaller market programs for that matter was a concern of mine right out of the gate. i believe we have enough individual/alumni big money on our sidelines, but do we have a large enough market to justify or support a company/product investment in an MU athlete. 

what comes first-the "super star", the "dwayne wade" and then the NIL$$ or do we need the NIL's to attract the "super stars"?  does a company take a flier on certain players they believe will be good investments?  make an escalating, non guaranteed offer?  not sure what the rules are(half a chuckle).  this is where the witchita states can become b-ball memories

i think shaka is a great start and  i believe MU brings an excellent opportunity for a good kid or 2 or 3(amigos) to become great, carry a program, shine the light on it and they(NIL's) will come.  MU has shown it can give it's athletes the stage.  they need to put on a show.  look at the attention a ja morant, a steph curry can bring to a smaller school

None of this matters.  We aren't a football school.  Which is the only thing that matters.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2022, 06:50:46 AM »
This came to mind as well and I’m curious as to what youth football is like now. When I was in 4th, 5th, etc grade there was such a large percentage of kids going out for football. Wonder if it’s the same now.

I don’t think football will be dead but kids nowadays are much different than they were 20 years ago. We are at least 10 years away from really being able to understand the impact of that though.

Youth football is down. But so?

There are still plenty of players to fill college rosters and NFL rosters. And it is undoubtedly the sport that the viewing public watches the most. And I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Just cause you don’t play it doesn’t mean you don’t watch it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 07:00:16 AM »
Youth football is down. But so?

There are still plenty of players to fill college rosters and NFL rosters. And it is undoubtedly the sport that the viewing public watches the most. And I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Just cause you don’t play it doesn’t mean you don’t watch it.

I used to think football didn’t have a future.  Maybe it doesn’t, but not in my lifetime
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2022, 07:38:59 AM »

Joe Biden Saudi agenda:

YOU: TOP PRIORITY
As a devout Catholic Get Saudi Prince to sponsor Marquette Basketball

YOU: Let Hunter finalize all the details with you getting 10%

YOU: Don't forget to ask for more oil, but make sure our top priority gets done.

YOU: now let's get outa here.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2022, 07:41:09 AM »
None of this matters.  We aren't a football school.  Which is the only thing that matters.

try a little self discipline sometime...your response was unnecessarily dumb, but par for the course.  the only thing that matters is because we aren't a football school, we are doomed?  too much carbon monoxide again?

i'm thinking basketball only schools will be fine.  possibly even in a better position than schools with mediocre to weak football teams because they aren't wasting money on football and can concentrate on getting one major sport right.  with the right decisions, good personnel and a little bit of luck, MU should be fine.  the question remains is can we take it to the next level, i.e. gonzaga, villanova, etc 
don't...don't don't don't don't

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2022, 07:54:34 AM »
Exactly, if Marquette was a tennis powerhouse and the focus of their athletic department, do you think the best HS tennis players would care if Marquette was a football school? 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2022, 07:56:00 AM »

Youth sports in general are waaaaay down.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2022, 08:11:20 AM »
Surprised there was not a poll option for “Marquette should bring back football and change the name to Warriors while doing so”

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2022, 08:34:07 AM »
Realignment remains about football and football only.  When the C7 banded together to take control over their own destiny and future in college athletics, it was still as a result of football (despite none of the schools offering FBS programs).  Despite the doom and gloom from many ("You can't survive without D1 Football", "You can't survive without ESPN", "You can't survive without the large public schools and their alumni bases", etc.), Marquette (and the Big East) ended up making more money, getting more exposure on national television and proved that you don't need elite college football in order to compete in men's basketball.  Even when UConn made the correct choice in returning to the Big East - that was in direct response to the financial failures it was enduring by putting on all of their chips on football.  In order to financially save football, it joined the Big East (and going FBS Independent); as a result, it took more buy games, cut down significantly on travel (as, surprisingly, having annual conference road games against G5 programs in Florida, Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma wasn't the best financial strategy) and sought more games against regional opponents. 

The Dawn of the Mega 2 has been predicted for many years now, and those that did not see this coming, respectfully, had their head in the sand.  More moves will be made within the coming months and years ahead, and by the 2030s, we will have the B1G and SEC as the mega conferences that will have consolidated the revenues and exposure and streamlining the oversight of college football (which, IMO, is best for the sport for many reasons - but that can be a different post). 

In regards to basketball, how it will shake out is that the Mega 2 will look to consolidate March Madness and bring along a number of conferences that offer similar financial support, history and commitment to spending at similar levels.  The Big East, and others, will 100% be brought along for the ride.  The lower conferences, that frankly have zero business participating at these same levels, will be relegated to a new Division 1-B.  In the end, Big East schools will actually be making more revenues from March Madness, thus earning more to spend on student-athletes and resources.  Marquette will be fine (and these UCLA/USC moves truly benefit the Big East in regards to FOX negotiations). 

What remains hilarious to me is that schools like Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville et. al. all couldn't wait to jump ship from the Big East, proclaiming how they belonged in the Big Boy Club, wagging their fingers at schools that were left behind.  Well, very soon, those same schools are going to be left behind and will need to return to many of these grouping of schools in order to save their precious basketball programs (which still provide significant revenues to their athletic departments and schools).  As soon as the SEC assimilates Florida State, Clemson and others, and the B1G takes more of the PAC, let's see how quickly the panic sets in from these former members when they realize that they are staring at bringing up Temple, USF, ECU and Memphis for basketball purposes.   

The Big East is in outstanding position moving forward from a negotiating standpoint, especially with our deal up shortly.  Can't wait to see it unfold. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2022, 08:37:36 AM »
Youth sports in general are waaaaay down.

Here in New Jersey most parents focus on academics in High School and unless you have a family member playing or in school the Friday night football game is not a big deal like it is in many rural communities in Texas and the southeast. Our local school has at present just under 750 students: 65% white, 14% black, 11 % hispanic , 9% asian and 1% mixed. I am actually quite amazed that a school of that size can field a football team and win their league consistently. I'll concede that only a few would probably be offered a college scholarship but here youth sports appears to be doing just fine.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2022, 08:50:11 AM »
I think it's bad for college hoops.  And if UCLA wins a title as a B14 member it will not count as a B14 championship.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 09:00:54 AM »

LIV and let live.

feedback