[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-23 NBA Thread  (Read 145292 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread
« Reply #750 on: November 03, 2022, 09:17:11 AM »
Because he is a stupid person who thinks he is smart.  Very easily manipulated and hates to be embarrassed.  Know anyone else like that?  At this point he is just a snapshot of a large portion of the US population.  Media literacy is the number one problem affecting our populace, and Kyrie is the poster boy.

Isn't "media literacy" an oxymoron?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #751 on: November 03, 2022, 09:17:18 AM »
Because he is a stupid person who thinks he is smart.  Very easily manipulated and hates to be embarrassed.  Know anyone else like that?  At this point he is just a snapshot of a large portion of the US population.  Media literacy is the number one problem affecting our populace, and Kyrie is the poster boy.

This is exactly where I come out here. 

Of course, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be treated like an anti-Semite.  When someone says offensive ish, we don't have a duty to "see whats in his heart" or whatever other bullcrap people like to say.  All the more because he isn't exactly falling all over himself with apology.  (Not saying Hards or Wags were suggesting any different treatment for him, just adding an additional two cents.)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #752 on: November 03, 2022, 09:21:58 AM »
From the Raleigh News-Observer:

Jon Scheyer has built a solid relationship with Brooklyn Nets guard Kyrie Irving since the latter replaced him as Duke’s starting point guard 12 years ago. So Scheyer intends to talk with Irving about his recent actions on social media, which have appeared to sympathize with antisemitism.

“I’ve known Kyrie for a long time, and I’ve had nothing but incredible interactions with him,” Scheyer, in his first year as Duke’s basketball coach, said Wednesday night. “For me, it’s less about Kyrie. It’s more just about what’s happening all across our country, right? I mean, you see things in the news and it’s concerning. Antisemitism of any kind, is horrible and wrong and unacceptable.”

Irving came out with a PR stunt yesterday, pledging to donate about one game check to "fight hate." But he didn't apologize for his overtly anti-Semitic post, and he won't because he thinks it was just hunky-dory.

Is he an anti-Semite? I'm not sure why Wags or others would think otherwise. He willingly made an anti-Semitic post ... and, just in case it was only done only out of ignorance, he doubled-down even after the anti-Semitism in his post was pointed out to him.
Kind of like how you and Rico are against all evangelical Christians.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #753 on: November 03, 2022, 09:27:07 AM »
Isn't "media literacy" an oxymoron?

I get the joke you were trying to go for here, but that is exactly my point.  We can blame the 'media' all we want about 'bad journalism', but it's never going away.  There's just too much money to be made and power derived from bad journalism.

Educating the general public regarding media literacy is the only option.  Unfortunately, human nature works directly against this endeavor.  We are predisposed to agree with news that supports our beliefs and ideologies. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #754 on: November 03, 2022, 09:27:18 AM »

Of course, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be treated like an anti-Semite.  When someone says offensive ish, we don't have a duty to "see whats in his heart" or whatever other bullcrap people like to say.  All the more because he isn't exactly falling all over himself with apology.  (Not saying Hards or Wags were suggesting any different treatment for him, just adding an additional two cents.)

My take is that in his heart he absolutely thinks he's not antisemitic, but that he clearly is.   Worse is that he knows a lot of people that agree with him and that reinforces his prejudice.  I give props to TNT but the fact is very few players have condemned what Kyrie posted.  This is the most troubling part of this whole conversation imo. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #755 on: November 03, 2022, 09:27:36 AM »

No, you're exactly right.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #756 on: November 03, 2022, 09:28:48 AM »

BINGO.  Ive excused none of it.  As I mentioned its reprehensible and my reasoning isn't trying to justify it away or give him the benefit of the doubt.  Its just to highlight the difference and also sort of point out that you don't have to be racist/bigoted/anti-Semitic to say stupid things that fall into that category and cause real harm.  I feel needing to slap the label on someone glosses over the sort of situation that really allows this stuff to fester.  The sort of complacent microaggression statement from someone that doesn't necessarily hold that belief. 

As I mentioned with Kanye before, I take it very seriously due to the Jewish roots and members in my extended family.  But this is a dumb person trying to be galaxy brained.  Could have easily been Catholics or some other religious or ethnic group.  And maybe will be in the near future, given Kyrie's troubling track record.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #757 on: November 03, 2022, 09:29:40 AM »
My take is that in his heart he absolutely thinks he's not antisemitic, but that he clearly is.   Worse is that he knows a lot of people that agree with him and that reinforces his prejudice.  I give props to TNT but the fact is very few players have condemned what Kyrie posted.  This is the most troubling part of this whole conversation imo.

They're basketball players.  We shouldn't be expecting them to be any more knowledgeable than the average American.  Remember, many of these guys never finished college.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #758 on: November 03, 2022, 10:12:23 AM »
They're basketball players.  We shouldn't be expecting them to be any more knowledgeable than the average American.  Remember, many of these guys never finished college.

So in order not to be antisemitic, or racist, or homophobic, or misogynistic, etc, etc, etc, you need to "finish college"?  This is compete nonsense. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #759 on: November 03, 2022, 10:21:05 AM »
They're basketball players.  We shouldn't be expecting them to be any more knowledgeable than the average American. 

I wonder how many average Americans, and/or basketball players actually know what the book/film he tweeted about actually contains in it. Heck, I wonder how many scoopers even know.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #760 on: November 03, 2022, 10:34:28 AM »
So in order not to be antisemitic, or racist, or homophobic, or misogynistic, etc, etc, etc, you need to "finish college"?  This is compete nonsense.

Thats not what he meant/his point.  He was citing the often lacking intelligence or, more often, stunted intellectual/knowledge growth of many of these athletes.  Leading to short term thinking, not looking at the entire picture, etc... Critical thinking isn't a strength for many of them.

A poorly educated white person, who isn't at all racist, might see absolutely no issue with using N***a cause they hear it in songs.  Or why a tweet with that lyric isn't a problem.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #761 on: November 03, 2022, 11:32:17 AM »
Kind of like how you and Rico are against all evangelical Christians.

I have never said that.

Rico and I are nowhere even close on our opinions about a belief in God. And since I (and Rico) actually believe in the Constitution, that is fine.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #762 on: November 03, 2022, 12:15:07 PM »
Thats not what he meant/his point.  He was citing the often lacking intelligence or, more often, stunted intellectual/knowledge growth of many of these athletes.  Leading to short term thinking, not looking at the entire picture, etc... Critical thinking isn't a strength for many of them.

A poorly educated white person, who isn't at all racist, might see absolutely no issue with using N***a cause they hear it in songs.  Or why a tweet with that lyric isn't a problem.

Why stereotype "basketball players"?  There are plenty of highly educated people that are prejudicial, racist, and antisemitic.  There have been Holocaust deniers teaching at Universities such as Northwestern.  Compared to the average person NBA basketball players should be more worldly with their resources and travel across the globe. He plays for a team that resides literally in the most diverse spot in our entire country.  Taking classes in college, and getting a degree, is a pretty minor component of one's actual education and very nuanced.  And diversity of thought is at its all-time low at our colleges and universities. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 12:17:00 PM by MuggsyB »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #763 on: November 03, 2022, 12:19:20 PM »
Why stereotype "basketball players"?  There are plenty of highly educated people that are prejudicial, racist, and antisemitic.  There have been Holocaust deniers teaching at Universities such as Northwestern.  Compared to the average person NBA basketball players should be more worldly with their resources and travel across the globe. He plays for a team that resides literally in the most diverse spot in our entire country.  Taking classes in college, and getting a degree, is a pretty minor component of one's actual education and very nuanced.  And diversity of thought is at its all-time low at our colleges and universities.

You expect too much from athletes, homie.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #764 on: November 03, 2022, 12:23:22 PM »
And diversity of thought is at its all-time low at our colleges and universities.

Untrue political statement.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #765 on: November 03, 2022, 02:23:20 PM »
I have never said that.

Rico and I are nowhere even close on our opinions about a belief in God. And since I (and Rico) actually believe in the Constitution, that is fine.
that was to mu82

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #766 on: November 03, 2022, 02:44:45 PM »
Untrue political statement.
Agreed. Colleges and universities have never been places of diverse opinions and thoughts. No different today than 100 years ago or more.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #767 on: November 03, 2022, 03:10:09 PM »
that was to mu82

Then I would say that I think morality and decency are much more important to MU82 that they are to Evangelicals.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #768 on: November 03, 2022, 03:52:27 PM »
Then I would say that I think morality and decency are much more important to MU82 that they are to Evangelicals.
And I would say it is not very ethical or moral to paint everyone practicing one religion with a broad brush.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #769 on: November 03, 2022, 07:13:34 PM »
The Nets have suspended Kyrie for 5 games. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #770 on: November 03, 2022, 07:18:23 PM »
Not nearly long enough, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #771 on: November 03, 2022, 07:32:22 PM »
Not nearly long enough, hey?

The whole saga is a little weird.   I guess he met with Silver but I'm not sure. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #772 on: November 03, 2022, 07:36:16 PM »
Weird because the NBA is usually more on top of these things. They can “read the room.”  This seemed to catch them off guard and only responded after people said “WTF?”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #773 on: November 03, 2022, 08:21:05 PM »
Weird because the NBA is usually more on top of these things. They can “read the room.”  This seemed to catch them off guard and only responded after people said “WTF?”

Ya....this seems like something they thought would just go away.  Which is bizarre in itself.  As far as I know Silver hasn't publicly said anything.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #774 on: November 03, 2022, 08:40:21 PM »
Ya....this seems like something they thought would just go away.  Which is bizarre in itself.  As far as I know Silver hasn't publicly said anything.

He did today, but yeah, it took an unusually long time.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34939644/commissioner-adam-silver-disappointed-kyrie-irving-apologize