2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protecting the Constitution  (Read 26627 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Protecting the Constitution
« Reply #525 on: June 30, 2022, 12:17:00 PM »
Yup, and for that exact reason the Dems should start court packing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #526 on: June 30, 2022, 12:26:08 PM »
You ain't seen nothing yet. The Court has annouced it is going to review a case that allows State Legislatures determine how elections are conducted, and such legislative decisions can't be reviewed by State courts.

Full on Christofascism.

The case SCOTUS is willing to hear involves racist gerrymandering in NC. Legislatures in southern states want to be able to do this with impunity. They also want to be able to install Trumpists to oversee elections so that next time it will be easier to pull of a coup and cancel millions of votes they don't like.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #527 on: June 30, 2022, 12:38:19 PM »
A few of the above "Pelican Brief" posts were flagged, so here we are.

I have to say .. I am galactically befuddled as to how we haven't entered the political assassination phase.  The country has all the elements, guns, fear, hatred, a feeling of helplessness/hopelessness, extreme disinformation painting the other side as evil.   Not to mention the media/fame machine.

Maybe people are too busy watching Netflix?  I have no other explanation.  It sure isn't "we're better than that."

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #528 on: June 30, 2022, 12:44:44 PM »

I have to say .. I am galactically befuddled as to how we haven't entered the political assassination phase.  The country has all the elements, guns, fear, hatred, a feeling of helplessness/hopelessness, extreme disinformation painting the other side as evil.   Not to mention the media/fame machine.

Maybe people are too busy watching Netflix?  I have no other explanation.  It sure isn't "we're better than that."

What?  😂
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #529 on: June 30, 2022, 12:45:47 PM »

I have had the same thoughts. The only reason I can think of is that even those that feel 'victimized' don't want to risk their current standing in life for the unknown.

I also appreciate you leaving this thread open - at least, so far. It has generally been cordial.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #530 on: June 30, 2022, 12:49:26 PM »
Yup, and for that exact reason the Dems should start court packing.

The most radical SC in history. Today, they voted in favor of a company's right to pollute.

The right finally got the activist judges they hate so much.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #531 on: June 30, 2022, 12:59:58 PM »
The case SCOTUS is willing to hear involves racist gerrymandering in NC. Legislatures in southern states want to be able to do this with impunity. They also want to be able to install Trumpists to oversee elections so that next time it will be easier to pull of a coup and cancel millions of votes they don't like.

It goes far further than overseeing elections, or gerrymandering for that matter. It goes to Eastman's theory that legislatures can write whatever rules they want, regardless of the state constitution, without oversight from the state judicial branch...and then, if the rules they wrote don't produce the outcome that they want, they can simply overrule the actual voting and do whatever they want.

We've already seen the Republicans float the idea of changing state voting to be county-based so that a county of 700 people counts equally with a country with 700,000 people in order to dilute the voting power of cities. And, once the Catholic Jihadists rule, even if that still doesn't get the outcome they want, the State legislature can decide to do whatever their Christofascist hearts' desire.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #532 on: June 30, 2022, 01:32:23 PM »
The most radical SC in history. Today, they voted in favor of a company's right to pollute.

The right finally got the activist judges they hate so much.

I strongly disagree with you. In law, the ends do not justify the means when it comes to bad law. Not a single justice voted to pollute. Rather, for the first time in as long as I can remember, someone reined in the administrative branch of government!

One very frustrating problem is how an administrative agency of government can create the regulation and then act as judge, jury and executioner. That's not the way the system was set up, though I admit finding the line against which an agency oversteps sounds easier than it is.

If you as a citizen want tough climate action and eliminating coal fired power plants, go to Congress and get them to pass a law. And then get the President to sign it. What the court effectively said is that Congress is the legislative branch of government, not the administrative agencies.

Many of you forget that it's not the court's job to reflect popular opinion. It's the court's job to adjudicate, based on what the law says. Despite all the hysteria in here, the courts can't create rights out of thin air. And, yes, the administrative agencies can't go beyond what Congress has told them to do.

In other words, change the law, don't subvert it!

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #533 on: June 30, 2022, 01:45:07 PM »
It goes far further than overseeing elections, or gerrymandering for that matter. It goes to Eastman's theory that legislatures can write whatever rules they want, regardless of the state constitution, without oversight from the state judicial branch...and then, if the rules they wrote don't produce the outcome that they want, they can simply overrule the actual voting and do whatever they want.

We've already seen the Republicans float the idea of changing state voting to be county-based so that a county of 700 people counts equally with a country with 700,000 people in order to dilute the voting power of cities. And, once the Catholic Jihadists rule, even if that still doesn't get the outcome they want, the State legislature can decide to do whatever their Christofascist hearts' desire.

Source?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #534 on: June 30, 2022, 01:48:52 PM »
I think there was a recent back and forth on here that involved discussion regarding conservatives rolling back EPA regulations.

Welp.

It's disgusting how segments of the population give no care toward future populations.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 01:51:01 PM by jesmu84 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #535 on: June 30, 2022, 01:51:39 PM »
And, once the Catholic Jihadists rule, even if that still doesn't get the outcome they want, the State legislature can decide to do whatever their Christofascist hearts' desire.

Brother T:

Have you been to a Catholic Church lately?

Jihadists? Yeah, right. This is scapegoating, clear and simple.

I suspect you haven't been, so let me fill you in. Catholic attendance at Sunday Mass has fallen off dramatically. Churches that 10 years ago were jampacked today are less than half full. Interest in Catholic schools is falling and many Dioceses, like Chicago, are closing churches and schools en masse. The Roman Catholic Church as an institution is losing influence by the day, largely because of its own faults and stubbornness.

Those families that go to church, look and think like the rest of the country. Take birth control. A generation ago, Catholic Mass was populated by families with large trains full of children. Today, your average Catholic family look a lot like the rest of the country -- two or three children. I can pretty much promise that ain't happening through abstinence or natural family planning.

For Jihadists, we take an awfully strong view on the rights of our fellow men and women. Sure, our leadership has blind spots and they do dumb things from time to time. Gays, lesbians, pedophilia, occasional fraud and theft and women in general for starters. But as followers of the teachings of Jesus Christ -- and that, folks, is what it's about -- we reach out to those who are poor, suffering and otherwise in need. As a follower of Jesus, we do that with time, talent or treasure -- sometimes all three. We know that our God commands us to "love your neighbor as yourself," and as trying as that sometimes can be, we do our best. We often disagree with others on important issues to our nation or our world but if we're doing our job, we have a duty to listen and respect our adversaries. Sometimes you convince us to change our vision. Sometimes not.

Fascists'? Jihadists? What Jihadist or fascist organization comes even close to being the largest NGO provider of social services in the world?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #536 on: June 30, 2022, 01:52:48 PM »

If you as a citizen want tough climate action and eliminating coal fired power plants, go to Congress and get them to pass a law. And then get the President to sign it. What the court effectively said is that Congress is the legislative branch of government, not the administrative agencies.

Coal is already dead.  Industry already self-killed it.  It's way cheaper to build a wind turbine or a solar farm. 

I read this last month and was surprised by it.  The two states with the highest electric rates are West Virginia and Florida because both states are the most dependent on coal powered electricity.  Florida, the Sunshine State, made it very hard to install solar power. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #537 on: June 30, 2022, 01:58:27 PM »
One very frustrating problem is how an administrative agency of government can create the regulation and then act as judge, jury and executioner. That's not the way the system was set up, though I admit finding the line against which an agency oversteps sounds easier than it is.

This is exactly how it was set up. In no way did the Founders wish for the Congress to micromanage every action of the executive branch.
Do you, for example, believe Congress not only declares war, but also should determine troop movements and strategy?
Do you think Congress not only writes federal criminal law, but also decides who gets a  plea deal?
Congress is a policymaker. The administrative agency (i.e. the executive branch) carries out the policies.
This is pretty basic stuff.

If you as a citizen want tough climate action and eliminating coal fired power plants, go to Congress and get them to pass a law. And then get the President to sign it.

That's exactly what happened here. Congress passed the Clean Air Act. A president signed it. The executive branch carried out policy based on that.
And along came six people who said "No, you can't do that."

Many of you forget that it's not the court's job to reflect popular opinion. It's the court's job to adjudicate, based on what the law says. Despite all the hysteria in here, the courts can't create rights out of thin air. And, yes, the administrative agencies can't go beyond what Congress has told them to do.
Do you believe Brown and Loving were wrongly decided? If not, explain how that fits in with your judicial philosophy stated above.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #538 on: June 30, 2022, 02:00:29 PM »
Coal is already dead.  Industry already self-killed it.  It's way cheaper to build a wind turbine or a solar farm. 

I read this last month and was surprised by it.  The two states with the highest electric rates are West Virginia and Florida because both states are the most dependent on coal powered electricity.  Florida, the Sunshine State, made it very hard to install solar power.
Where did you read that? Here's what I found for 2020 and 2021

https://neo.ne.gov/programs/stats/inf/204.htm

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/electricity-cost-by-state

and June 2022
https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 02:03:57 PM by lawdog77 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #539 on: June 30, 2022, 02:04:24 PM »
That's exactly what happened here. Congress passed the Clean Air Act. A president signed it. The executive branch carried out policy based on that.

Exactly

This decision was purely political. And will be devastating for the nation and future generations.

But at least corporations will have less regulations!

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #540 on: June 30, 2022, 02:06:02 PM »
I think there was a recent back and forth on here that involved discussion regarding conservatives rolling back EPA regulations.

Welp.

It's disgusting how segments of the population give no care toward future populations.

WTF are you talking about???

I want him to identify which Republicans are " floating the idea that towns of 700 people should have their votes count the same as towns of 700, 000 people.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #541 on: June 30, 2022, 02:06:37 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #542 on: June 30, 2022, 02:08:04 PM »
Brother T:

I suspect you haven't been, so let me fill you in. Catholic attendance at Sunday Mass has fallen off dramatically. Churches that 10 years ago were jampacked today are less than half full. Interest in Catholic schools is falling and many Dioceses, like Chicago, are closing churches and schools en masse. The Roman Catholic Church as an institution is losing influence by the day, largely because of its own faults and stubbornness.

Those families that go to church, look and think like the rest of the country. Take birth control. A generation ago, Catholic Mass was populated by families with large trains full of children. Today, your average Catholic family look a lot like the rest of the country -- two or three children. I can pretty much promise that ain't happening through abstinence or natural family planning.

For Jihadists, we take an awfully strong view on the rights of our fellow men and women. Sure, our leadership has blind spots and they do dumb things from time to time. Gays, lesbians, pedophilia, occasional fraud and theft and women in general for starters. But as followers of the teachings of Jesus Christ -- and that, folks, is what it's about -- we reach out to those who are poor, suffering and otherwise in need. As a follower of Jesus, we do that with time, talent or treasure -- sometimes all three. We know that our God commands us to "love your neighbor as yourself," and as trying as that sometimes can be, we do our best. We often disagree with others on important issues to our nation or our world but if we're doing our job, we have a duty to listen and respect our adversaries. Sometimes you convince us to change our vision. Sometimes not.

Fascists'? Jihadists? What Jihadist or fascist organization comes even close to being the largest NGO provider of social services in the world?
What does any of this have to do with the radicals that sit on the Supreme Court?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #543 on: June 30, 2022, 02:11:25 PM »
Where did you read that? Here's what I found for 2020 and 2021

https://neo.ne.gov/programs/stats/inf/204.htm

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/electricity-cost-by-state

and June 2022
https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/

I found the article but did misread.  West Virginia prices are 35/40% higher than they should be because of some Joe Manchin as Governor passed thing.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #544 on: June 30, 2022, 02:13:37 PM »
Brother T:

+1000

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #545 on: June 30, 2022, 02:20:01 PM »
Perhaps you could look it up

Perhaps you could just tell me. I trust you. And you said Republicans ( plural) so I'm looking for more than one. And as soon as you identify the source, I can then be as outraged at them as you appear to be.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #546 on: June 30, 2022, 02:20:42 PM »
dgies

Very good post. Only thing I can argue, it is quite common at our Parish to see families with 8-10 children. From time to time I enjoy going to weekday 6:30am mass and there are a lot of big families there everyday. I guess one other minor difference, weekday mass often 50% attendance and Sunday is usually over 75%.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #547 on: June 30, 2022, 02:27:24 PM »
I found the article but did misread.  West Virginia prices are 35/40% higher than they should be because of some Joe Manchin as Governor passed thing.

So without that “Joe Manchin as gov passed thing” they would have the lowest rates in the country?  Their current rates are already very low when compared to the other 49.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #548 on: June 30, 2022, 02:29:56 PM »
Support a coup but afraid of a little bloodshed the other way and people turn into snowflakes.  Sad!

no, this is sad-

so if i said this sitting/stumbling potus should be assassinated, that's all good?  i'm gonna take a wild guess and say the board beatdown would be swift and unrelentless...as it should be.  but for you guys who own the board, projecting onto your adversaries...meh?? 

yes, character revealed
don't...don't don't don't don't

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #549 on: June 30, 2022, 02:30:27 PM »
Ever since Pope Francis was installed, I made a point to go to church more often and upped my Sunday donation. He is a refreshing step forward and our most recent pastors are following his lead. I'd hate to see the Catholic church take a step backwards after he dies.

As to Rocket's two murder question, the results vary state to state but a person charged in the death of a pregnant woman would not face two murder charges. As TAMU noted, the charge related to the death of the fetus would be under an entirely different law than the murder charge. A fetus is not recognized as a person for these purposes, just like the census does not recognize them nor are they counted for any entitlement program.