collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protecting the Constitution  (Read 27096 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Protecting the Constitution
« Reply #450 on: June 29, 2022, 02:53:34 PM »
To the extent that anybody says they want this outcome, I guarantee they have not thought through the implications of such a ruling.

Like democrats actually showing up to the polls for a midterm election for a change.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #451 on: June 29, 2022, 03:03:13 PM »
Hopefully, Thomas will die sooner than later

Nice.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #452 on: June 29, 2022, 03:30:44 PM »
To the extent that anybody says they want this outcome, I guarantee they have not thought through the implications of such a ruling.

Actually as Alito says there is a great deal of gray area that the courts will hash out.

https://time.com/6191886/fetal-personhood-laws-roe-abortion/

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #453 on: June 29, 2022, 03:41:53 PM »

You have such a fundamental lack of understanding on this issue. Most Constitutional rights are implied through Supreme Court decisions. They aren't explicitly stated anywhere. So by that standard, a whole bunch of rights would need to be rescinded in your eyes. Perhaps you should learn a little bit more about constitutional law?

And yes, a woman's right to choose to have an abortion was considered a Constitutional right for 50 years. You may not like that right, but it was a right nevertheless.

Well 5 Justices on the Supreme Court agree with Rocket so who exactly has a fundamental misunderstanding on this issue? Oh! They have the last word and all the screaming and shouting is not going to change their opinion which is the only opinion that counts.

I would encourage you go out and vote and elect people that agree with you as the Court has instructed.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #454 on: June 29, 2022, 03:48:37 PM »
Actually as Alito says there is a great deal of gray area that the courts will hash out.

https://time.com/6191886/fetal-personhood-laws-roe-abortion/

"Just calling balls and strikes."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #455 on: June 29, 2022, 03:51:33 PM »
Well 5 Justices on the Supreme Court agree with Rocket so who exactly has a fundamental misunderstanding on this issue?

Rocket does. If you would bother following along with the topic you would see what I am talking about.  A right doesn't have to be explicitly stated for it to be considered a Constitutional right. For instance, interracial marriage is considered a Constitutional right even though it isn't stated specifically in the document. And for 50 years, a woman's right to choose was considered a Constitutional right through the same process.

That five justices now take a different viewpoint, and have decided to rescind that right, is not really relevant to the truth in the above paragraph.

Do you understand now? Or are you going to come back with something else silly?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 03:53:51 PM by User Name #251 »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #456 on: June 29, 2022, 03:54:48 PM »
Well 5 Justices on the Supreme Court agree with Rocket so who exactly has a fundamental misunderstanding on this issue? Oh! They have the last word and all the screaming and shouting is not going to change their opinion which is the only opinion that counts.

More than a dozen justices on the Supreme Court disagree with rocket.
And, as we now see with Dobbs, Supreme Court justices don't have the last word after all. These five justices' lack of respect for precedence opens the door for future courts swinging this issue back and forth in perpetuity.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #457 on: June 29, 2022, 04:00:24 PM »

I would encourage you go out and vote and elect people that agree with you as the Court has instructed.

I don't think you're appreciating what I'm saying here. I have not offered an opinion on whether the Court should answer the question of extending equal protection to the "unborn," whether they will be asked to rule on such a thing, or even whether such a thing is good or bad. I'm saying that people who are, for example, on message boards suggesting that such a thing should happen have not really gamed out what the consequences of such a ruling would really be.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #458 on: June 29, 2022, 04:11:50 PM »
Not sure if it’s been posted on here but here’s a pretty freezing cold take from our radio announcer:

https://twitter.com/crackedsidewlks/status/1542240751228174337?s=21&t=duwar-6dly5yu33dZzWGgA

Fwiw, I think we should have gotten rid of Homer years ago because he’s always just been horrible. If I’m not available to be in front of a TV during a game, I’d rather refresh game scores online than listen to him (that actually has nothing to do with the tweet I linked).

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #459 on: June 29, 2022, 04:14:56 PM »
Not sure if it’s been posted on here but here’s a pretty freezing cold take from our radio announcer:

https://twitter.com/crackedsidewlks/status/1542240751228174337?s=21&t=duwar-6dly5yu33dZzWGgA

Fwiw, I think we should have gotten rid of Homer years ago because he’s always just been horrible. If I’m not available to be in front of a TV during a game, I’d rather refresh game scores online than listen to him (that actually has nothing to do with the tweet I linked).

Everyone knows slavery was about states rights
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #460 on: June 29, 2022, 04:15:40 PM »
The alt-right supreme court strikes again. Today giving states' expanded powers to enforce laws on reservations for the first time in 200 years. The dissent (Gorsuch-R) states:

"If the Court’s ruling today sounds like a legislative committee report touting the benefits of some newly proposed bill, that’s because it is exactly that. And given that a nine- member court is a poor substitute for the people’s elected representatives, it is no surprise that the Court’s cost- benefit analysis is radically incomplete. The Court’s decision is not a judicial interpretation of the law’s meaning; it is the pastiche of a legislative process.

Truly, a more ahistorical and mistaken statement of Indian law would be hard to fathom."

• All American
« Reply #461 on: June 29, 2022, 04:16:54 PM »

He's since deleted it. But man that is just a terrible take.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #462 on: June 29, 2022, 04:25:02 PM »
The alt-right supreme court strikes again. Today giving states' expanded powers to enforce laws on reservations for the first time in 200 years. The dissent (Gorsuch-R) states:

"If the Court’s ruling today sounds like a legislative committee report touting the benefits of some newly proposed bill, that’s because it is exactly that. And given that a nine- member court is a poor substitute for the people’s elected representatives, it is no surprise that the Court’s cost- benefit analysis is radically incomplete. The Court’s decision is not a judicial interpretation of the law’s meaning; it is the pastiche of a legislative process.

Truly, a more ahistorical and mistaken statement of Indian law would be hard to fathom."

Activist judges.

Every accusation from the right is a confession.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #463 on: June 29, 2022, 04:32:31 PM »
I'm pretty dumb, can someone explain Homer's reply, the meme, and the outrage?

Not teal.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #464 on: June 29, 2022, 04:33:33 PM »

Homer is fine.  He's not Vin Scully but he's solid.  Radio PBP is not easy and its not like there are countless marquee radio PBP guys that are going to be fixed to a college team in a non-major market.  He was great with Thompson, good with Mac, and pretty good with Tony Smith.

I feel like people's dislike of his political views or his mediocre radio show bleed into their perception of him as a PBP guy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #465 on: June 29, 2022, 04:40:33 PM »
I'm pretty dumb, can someone explain Homer's reply, the meme, and the outrage?

Not teal.

It seems someone made a meme comparing abortion to slavery, with the point of contention being people not seeing the fetus/slave as a person.
Homer contradicted said meme because, he claimed, slavery (unlike abortion, one can presume) is not "about murder."

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #466 on: June 29, 2022, 04:50:36 PM »
Homer is fine.  He's not Vin Scully but he's solid.  Radio PBP is not easy and its not like there are countless marquee radio PBP guys that are going to be fixed to a college team in a non-major market.  He was great with Thompson, good with Mac, and pretty good with Tony Smith.

I feel like people's dislike of his political views or his mediocre radio show bleed into their perception of him as a PBP guy.

Yeah I think he's good from tip to buzzer and awful at everything else. I'm told he's very good at charity events working crowds. His radio show is bad even measured against sports radio which is universally awful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #467 on: June 29, 2022, 05:05:28 PM »
It seems someone made a meme comparing abortion to slavery, with the point of contention being people not seeing the fetus/slave as a person.
Homer contradicted said meme because, he claimed, slavery (unlike abortion, one can presume) is not "about murder."

I dont think slavery was about murder...but only a myopic fundamentalist would think the abortion debate is either.

• All American
« Reply #468 on: June 29, 2022, 05:39:25 PM »

I haven’t listened to him doing PBP for years cause I have a TV.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #469 on: June 29, 2022, 07:07:53 PM »
Like democrats actually showing up to the polls for a midterm election for a change.

the internet and social media are not real life. Abortion rights is down the list of priorities for voters heading into the midterms. As long as inflation continues, shelves in stores are empty (my local grocery stores have empty dairy cases right now), and gas prices remain high, abortion is not going to shift the election significantly. As James Carville said while running Bill Clinton's campaign in 1992, "it's the economy, stupid."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #470 on: June 29, 2022, 07:29:09 PM »
the internet and social media are not real life. Abortion rights is down the list of priorities for voters heading into the midterms. As long as inflation continues, shelves in stores are empty (my local grocery stores have empty dairy cases right now), and gas prices remain high, abortion is not going to shift the election significantly. As James Carville said while running Bill Clinton's campaign in 1992, "it's the economy, stupid."

This was before the ruling came down.

As the midterm election approaches, most Americans say that the economy, inflation and rising gas prices are the most important issues in determining how they will vote for Congress this November, according to a new ABC News/Ipsos poll.

With inflation on the rise since last fall, Americans have been significantly affected by the rising cost of goods and services. And, more than eight in 10 Americans (83%) now say that the economy is either an extremely or very important issue in determining how they will vote, in the latest ABC News/Ipsos poll conducted using Ipsos' KnowledgePanel.

The poll also found that gun violence (72% saying extremely or very important) and abortion (63%) are also potentially important drivers of the vote. As the nation waits to see if the Supreme Court will overturn Roe v. Wade and Congress considers legislation in the wake of the mass shootings in Buffalo, New York and Uvalde, Texas, these issues stand just below the top tier drivers of the vote.

So, yeah, the economy, as usual, tops the list.
But no, abortion is not "way down there." It's very important to almost two-thirds of voters.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/economic-issues-top-publics-agenda-poll/story?id=85183412

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #471 on: June 29, 2022, 08:41:25 PM »
The Texas AG has already said he will oblige

The same Texas AG who has been facing multiple felonies for years, but is still in office.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #472 on: June 29, 2022, 08:53:41 PM »
Activist judges.

Every accusation from the right is a confession.

There were discussions about a possible civil war in the future, or secession of states. I think each of these activist decisions makes it more likely. The reasoning:

1. It is clear that the current makeup of the court will continue to disregard the rule of law to establish right-wing, and/or christian ideals and force them on the rest of America. That has already led to SCOTUS being considered a political, not legal entity, that the average American distrusts.

2. With an activist SCOTUS, one of three things will occur. a) America votes in a democratic house and senate by a significant margin. b) We continue to largely have divided rule in congress/house. c) Republicans control all branches.

For 2a) They should and will either pass legislature undoing many of these decisions. If this occurs, I think conservative states will challenge the legislation, and the conservative SCOTUS will rule those new laws unconstitutional. Alternatively, they pack the court. Expand to 13 justices and undo many of these decisions. Conservative states threaten to secede.

For 2b) We further degrade the rule of law, and liberal states move to leave the union.

2c) See 2b. Republicans will codify into law a lot of these new restrictions that strip Americans of their rights and push it even farther towards the religious right. Liberal states decide their is no hope for change and leave the union.

A year ago I would have thought this type of outcome was highly unlikely. But with each decision that has been coming down lately I think it becomes more and more likely that secession occurs.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #473 on: June 29, 2022, 09:00:47 PM »
This was before the ruling came down.

As the midterm election approaches, most Americans say that the economy, inflation and rising gas prices are the most important issues in determining how they will vote for Congress this November, according to a new ABC News/Ipsos poll.

With inflation on the rise since last fall, Americans have been significantly affected by the rising cost of goods and services. And, more than eight in 10 Americans (83%) now say that the economy is either an extremely or very important issue in determining how they will vote, in the latest ABC News/Ipsos poll conducted using Ipsos' KnowledgePanel.

The poll also found that gun violence (72% saying extremely or very important) and abortion (63%) are also potentially important drivers of the vote. As the nation waits to see if the Supreme Court will overturn Roe v. Wade and Congress considers legislation in the wake of the mass shootings in Buffalo, New York and Uvalde, Texas, these issues stand just below the top tier drivers of the vote.

So, yeah, the economy, as usual, tops the list.
But no, abortion is not "way down there." It's very important to almost two-thirds of voters.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/economic-issues-top-publics-agenda-poll/story?id=85183412

remember the source(abc along with most of the rest of them) censor the schiff out of anything detrimental to their team. if  the people who brought us the steaming pile of schiff we are living in right now would have reported just 1 or 2 very volatile(but true) stories, we would still have $2 gas

when a drunken driver, for example, runs into a pregnant woman and kills both the woman and her UNBORN BABY, why do they charge the person with 2 counts of murder if it's just a woman with a "clump of cells" in her tummy??
don't...don't don't don't don't

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #474 on: June 29, 2022, 09:26:38 PM »
  remember the source(abc along with most of the rest of them) censor the schiff out of anything detrimental to their team. if  the people who brought us the steaming pile of schiff we are living in right now would have reported just 1 or 2 very volatile(but true) stories, we would still have $2 gas

when a drunken driver, for example, runs into a pregnant woman and kills both the woman and her UNBORN BABY, why do they charge the person with 2 counts of murder if it's just a woman with a "clump of cells" in her tummy??

If you think that who is president is affecting the price of gas right now, then you have zero understanding of economics, and gas prices.