[Today at 11:24:41 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Auxiliary Options?  (Read 11585 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Auxiliary Options?
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2022, 10:04:48 AM »
Henry averaged 9.9.

Well yea, but many of those were easy rebounds.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2022, 02:14:08 PM »
If you're expecting an NAIA player to come to the Big East and put up anywhere near 10 and 6 you should really recalibrate expectations.
I understand the concerns, but I suspect he is better than a lot of high schoolers coming into the Big East this year. Wrightsil last year probably was playing against better competition than Chase was last season.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2022, 09:35:11 PM »
I understand the concerns, but I suspect he is better than a lot of high schoolers coming into the Big East this year. Wrightsil last year probably was playing against better competition than Chase was last season.

Fair but…If you’re expecting even highly ranked freshman to come in and avg 10 and 6 you should recalibrate expectations.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 10:19:58 AM by Tha Hound »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2022, 10:04:26 AM »
If you're expecting an NAIA player to come to the Big East and put up anywhere near 10 and 6 you should really recalibrate expectations.

The only expectation I have of Wrightsil is that he’ll contribute something positive this coming season, or else Shaka wouldn’t have brought him in.

Guessing what specific stats will be from someone none of us has seen, especially someone who played at the NAIA level, is folly.

I only hope Scoop doesn’t pull an O-Max/Reinhardt/Lockett and proclaim Wrightsil to be “worthless” or “trash” if he struggles early. But I know that’s probably asking too damn much.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2022, 10:29:11 AM »
The only expectation I have of Wrightsil is that he’ll contribute something positive this coming season, or else Shaka wouldn’t have brought him in.

Guessing what specific stats will be from someone none of us has seen, especially someone who played at the NAIA level, is folly.

I only hope Scoop doesn’t pull an O-Max/Reinhardt/Lockett and proclaim Wrightsil to be “worthless” or “trash” if he struggles early. But I know that’s probably asking too damn much.

Yeah, given the roster makeup, I think the unfortunate outcome seems possible. There's no saying what Wrightsil will contribute, but I have no doubt he can be a great energy guy off the bench. If forced into heavy minutes, I worry (especially if he has to play the 5). Really excited Wrightsil is in Milwaukee, but I hope his role and fan expectations are sensible.

Still a few months left to turn up another contributor or two, but, boy, Shaka is betting big on continuity and culture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2022, 11:01:55 AM »
Scoop fan:  Stupid Badgers.  I cannot believe they keep winning by recruiting and developing players to their system.

Also Scoop fan:  I am disappointed that Shaka is retaining players and trying to develop them.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2022, 11:08:32 AM »
Scoop fan:  Stupid Badgers.  I cannot believe they keep winning by recruiting and developing players to their system.

Also Scoop fan:  I am disappointed that Shaka is retaining players and trying to develop them.

This is the second time I've seen this silly trope.   UW (Ryan and Gard) have proven that they have a system that works in terms of developing players and getting some wins in the NCAA. 

Shaka doesn't yet have that stereotype.  Outside of Havok at VCU (so...like 10 years ago), he hasn't developed players or a system to win consistently.  Now, I hope his new philosophy works, but at this point comparing him to a "young" Ryan or Gard is as silly as comparing Wojo to a young Jay Wright.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2022, 11:22:07 AM »
He is the coach.  He has chosen development and culture over roster turnover this year.  Either you trust it or you don't.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2022, 11:31:56 AM »
UW (Ryan and Gard) have proven that they have a system that works in terms of developing players and getting some wins in the NCAA. 

Shaka doesn't yet have that stereotype.  Outside of Havok at VCU (so...like 10 years ago), he hasn't developed players or a system to win consistently.  Now, I hope his new philosophy works, but at this point comparing him to a "young" Ryan or Gard is as silly as comparing Wojo to a young Jay Wright.

That's fair, rocky.

I think I'm probably more optimistic than you are that Shaka will do well at Marquette, but it's totally reasonable to believe he has a lot to prove as a coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2022, 01:10:55 PM »

I think continuity and culture is likely more important in college basketball than ever before. I'm glad Shaka is emphasizing both, and I think this likely demonstrates growth as a coach.

I also don't think this roster has a wealth of obvious talent on it. Optimistic about a lot of the young guys, but a lot riding on considerable improvement.

I know it's hard to comprehend that roster continuity and roster talent are not mutually exclusive, but anybody on this board saying the roster couldn't use a bump in talent right now is kidding themselves. There is lots be gained by having mature players with advanced familiarity of both system and teammates, but talent is still a/the primary driver in winning.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2022, 01:18:32 PM »
I would love a mauler.   One isn't coming. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2022, 06:03:17 PM »

Exactly Tower.  I have repeatedly asked for a mauler for at least a decade. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2022, 06:11:27 PM »
Theo and Jayce were maulers.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2022, 06:54:05 PM »
Luke Fischer was not a mauler?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2022, 06:56:09 PM »
 Not really how I think of him.  But I'm not going to fight about it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2022, 07:01:06 PM »

Not exactly.  We need  power players that can inflict damage in a myriad of ways.  We get pushed around far too frequently Tower.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2022, 07:03:35 PM »

Go get him Shaka.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2022, 07:54:28 PM »
Go get him Shaka.

2022, 2023 or 24 recruit? 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2022, 07:55:34 PM »
2022, 2023 or 24 recruit?
Does he have eligibility left?
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2022, 08:18:04 PM »
There is a d(e)arth of maulers.   Sithening.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2022, 08:36:11 PM »
There is a d(e)arth of maulers.   Sithening.

Besides Mo Lucas who's the biggest badass we've ever had?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2022, 08:39:08 PM »

Joe Nethen
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2022, 08:39:18 PM »

Lucas is a really creative director,  but I don't know if he's a badass
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2022, 08:41:56 PM »
Lucas is a really creative director,  but I don't know if he's a badass

Come again?  I believe he was not someone people messed with.  Maybe it's time for a Confederacy of Badasses?

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2022, 09:11:27 PM »
Id still go with Mo
But you did not mess with Lackey (the Black Swan)
Just ask South Carolina!!

feedback