[Today at 11:59:50 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NIL - basketball vs. football  (Read 2549 times)

asdfasdf

• Starter
NIL - basketball vs. football
« on: May 01, 2022, 09:00:59 AM »
Has there been as much NIL intrigue and coverage on the football side as there has been on the basketball side?

I dont follow college football closely, but I do follow sports generally. It seems like I hear more about NIL on the basketball side. Are there football players making demands like Isaiah Wong did at Miami? Or is the best football player announcing his $2,000,000 worth of endorsements like oscar tshebwe at Kentucky?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: NIL - basketball vs. football
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 09:17:50 AM »
Has there been as much NIL intrigue and coverage on the football side as there has been on the basketball side?

I dont follow college football closely, but I do follow sports generally. It seems like I hear more about NIL on the basketball side. Are there football players making demands like Isaiah Wong did at Miami? Or is the best football player announcing his $2,000,000 worth of endorsements like oscar tshebwe at Kentucky?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pitt-wr-jordan-addison-considering-transfer-with-usc-singled-out-as-potential-destination-per-reports/amp/
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 05:31:44 PM »
Read today that the Oklahoma NIL collective will be paying every OU football player a minimum of 50K.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 06:26:33 PM »
Read today that the Oklahoma NIL collective will be paying every OU football player a minimum of 50K.

Chump change

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 06:28:58 PM »
Nads will be happy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 06:37:59 PM »
Chump change
Tell that to the third string punter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 07:11:53 PM »
Tell that to the third string punter

He could probably make more elsewhere

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 07:40:05 AM »

That is equivalent to paying 13 scholarship basketball players 327K each.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 07:42:30 AM »
He could probably make more elsewhere

Like congress; they are always kicking the can down the road.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 07:45:25 AM »
Could a Conference have more leverage in raising NIL money than each individual school for the players? Rather an Oklahoma collective it could be a Big East collective.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 07:51:59 AM by muwarrior69 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 09:21:57 AM »
Could a Conference have more leverage in raising NIL money than each individual school for the players? Rather an Oklahoma collective it could be a Big East collective.

Collectives are funded by donors. Other than TV Networks (which Panda pointed out in the other thread) what donor is going to donate to a conference collective over a specific school's collective?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 10:15:46 AM »
Collectives are funded by donors. Other than TV Networks (which Panda pointed out in the other thread) what donor is going to donate to a conference collective over a specific school's collective?

Are the donors not actually sponsors? Isn't each individual player using his NIL to endorse/sell a product, company or service etc? So why not a conference signing a deal with Costco, Walmart or any National brand on behalf of all, not just mens basketball, scholarship players? This would not preclude any player of getting their own deal in addition to the conference deal.  If an Oklahoma collective can get 50K for each football player why not a conference collective to benefit all scholarship players.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 10:19:58 AM »
Are the donors not actually sponsors? Isn't each individual player using his NIL to endorse/sell a product, company or service etc? So why not a conference signing a deal with Costco, Walmart or any National brand on behalf of all, not just mens basketball, scholarship players? This would not preclude any player of getting their own deal in addition to the conference deal.  If an Oklahoma collective can get 50K for each football player why not a conference collective to benefit all scholarship players.

What you are saying *could* happen, but I just don't really understand the motivations for all involved. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 10:53:09 AM »

Again, what is the motivation? If the Big East is going to make a deal with Costco, it will be to benefit the conference, not the individual scholarship players.
TAMU

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2022, 11:23:26 AM »
That is equivalent to paying 13 scholarship basketball players 327K each.
I'm not as up on this stuff. How does title 9 factor in? How does this collective and targeted donation system to football progams not fuel gender pay inequality?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2022, 11:24:19 AM »
I'm not as up on this stuff. How does title 9 factor in? How does this collective and targeted donation system to football progams not fuel gender pay inequality?

Nothing to do with Title IX. It does not come from the university.
TAMU

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 05:28:20 PM »
Nothing to do with Title IX. It does not come from the university.
Uhhg! Title IX. Heart in the right place, head not so much. IMHO.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 07:43:54 AM »
Conferences looking to Congress for help.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33858420/sec-pac-12-commissioners-visit-washington-pursuit-help-nil-policies-source-says

I am starting to lean towards the idea of just let there by pay for play. What other industry doesn't allow signing bonuses?

Do you think if an individual wanted to pay Giannis $25 million under the table to sign with the Lakers next contract, Congress should step in?

Make them employees already.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 07:52:22 AM »
Uhhg! Title IX. Heart in the right place, head not so much. IMHO.

Title IX has been absolutely fantastic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 07:56:34 AM »

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33858420/sec-pac-12-commissioners-visit-washington-pursuit-help-nil-policies-source-says

I am starting to lean towards the idea of just let there by pay for play. What other industry doesn't allow signing bonuses?

Do you think if an individual wanted to pay Giannis $25 million under the table to sign with the Lakers next contract, Congress should step in?

You don't even need to make them employees.  They are receiving a scholarship from the school and receiving taxable income from an outside source.  It's a very simple, straight forward process.

Yeah, students are going to be incentivized to play at certain schools and transfer to other schools.  I am beginning to see very little, if any, harm in that process.  Sure it makes the coaches upset because they are used to near absolute power, but they are paid handsomely to figure this stuff out.

And those quote from the Pac 12 commissioner are...something.  "Existential threat??"  Are you kidding me?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 07:56:53 AM »

The ncaa and certain member institutes are shaking fists at clouds at the moment.  It’s over.  A break is coming and it is going to be wild and fascinating.  The assumption the PAC-12, Big Ten, ACC, SEC and Big XII and all its member schools are going is wrong.  Some schools will not

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 08:11:30 AM »

You don't even need to make them employees.  They are receiving a scholarship from the school and receiving taxable income from an outside source.  It's a very simple, straight forward process.

Yeah, students are going to be incentivized to play at certain schools and transfer to other schools.  I am beginning to see very little, if any, harm in that process.  Sure it makes the coaches upset because they are used to near absolute power, but they are paid handsomely to figure this stuff out.

And those quote from the Pac 12 commissioner are...something.  "Existential threat??"  Are you kidding me?
I think making them employees would give schools at least a little control.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 08:16:08 AM »
I think making them employees would give schools at least a little control.

Most certainly the case, but it would also increase their costs. 

They just want to go back to how it was.  And that's not happening.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2022, 08:21:44 AM »
Most certainly the case, but it would also increase their costs. 

They just want to go back to how it was.  And that's not happening.
If universities make them employees, it seems like universities might be able to help them get more NIL deals, take a portion of that to cover costs.

feedback