[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Allen Edmonds 100 Year Anniversary  (Read 1607 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Allen Edmonds 100 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »
Hard pass
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 02:05:43 PM »
Big problem with AE is their product -- men's dress shoes -- has gone the way of neckties and men's dress suits. Except in formal business situations, folks don't wear very high quality men's dress shoes.

I've worn their shoes for year and they hold up well. For business shoes, they look good and hold a shine well.

Hope they find their way. A great Wisconsin company and a great entrepreneurial story.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 02:12:37 PM »
Big problem with AE is their product -- men's dress shoes -- has gone the way of neckties and men's dress suits. Except in formal business situations, folks don't wear very high quality men's dress shoes.

I've worn their shoes for year and they hold up well. For business shoes, they look good and hold a shine well.

Hope they find their way. A great Wisconsin company and a great entrepreneurial story.

Yea, I was thinking the pandemic and remote work will really hurt them. I have a few pairs and have opted for more casual shoes when going into the office unless I have a big meeting. With less people going into the office, I’m sure the need will be much lower.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 02:19:00 PM »
I don't even wear pants to work, and now you want me to drop $300 on shoes?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 02:35:13 PM »
It is a rough market for them.     

However, for those of you who like to buy American, if you only knew of any shoes made in America.......

https://libertyfootwear.com/
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 03:01:17 PM »
tower

My family owned a tannery and Grand Rapids, MI was very good to our family back in the day. GR actually was really good for us when Wolverine moved most production to China in the 1990's.

As for Allen Edmonds, as noted my family owned a tannery and we sold leather to virtually every major shoe brand in the world, and I take a hard pass 99% of the time on Allen Edmonds. I think they make good footwear, not great footwear.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 03:02:17 AM »
I'm wearing AE shoes right now and have been their customer for 20+ years.  The shoes last many years and are rebuildable.  They have lots of different styles but I buy for two reasons:
a) made in USA
b) In their stores people know what they are doing.  I travel a lot and want good dress shoes without steel inside so they don't make the detector go off.  Staff in the store know exactly which shoes are travel friendly and are not.  They also seem to use multiple different lasts and the store staff know which ones will fit my wide feet and which ones won't

I'm not a shoe snob.  I never buy anything more expensive than AE and I often buy less expensive and I'm more likely to be found in New Balance than Allen Edmonds.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 06:05:07 AM »
Always liked their shoes. Will be interested in hearing from goose on leather quality and AE’s. Always found them to be good quality for my simple tastes.

Roommate from Port had both parents working at AE….used to get 50% off for seconds, plus EE discount. The seconds had no visible flaws. Usually the ink was smeared inside the shoe (very trivial).

Shop their annual sales, and try to get to the factory store too.  Agree with the statement about very knowledgeable sales staff and outstanding customer service after the sale.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 08:20:58 AM »
real

AE only purchased the high grade leather and components back in the day and they generally paid way over market price for leather. Overall, they do make quality footwear and I own several pair. For whatever reason they are not a comfortable fit for me, but that is just me. I probably have a bias against them for a number of reasons, but they are fine shoes.

As for Made in USA, I always believed Red Wing Shoe was the gold standard. Again, a bit of bias because I sold them a lot more leather than AE. As a rule, there are not many brands of footwear that I think are all that well made today. Cole Haan was #1 on my list for twenty years and I just bought a pair for the first time in over a decade. Athletic shoes, I am still a big fan of New Balance and for golf I go with FootJoy or Johnston and Murphy all day.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 12:46:10 PM »
Cole Haan has done a nice job adapting to modern trends. Some of their shoes are out there, but they feel a little more accessible to me for post-pandemic office work, but quality is nowhere near my AEs that I've had restored several times. But I am more likely to buy a pair of Cole Haans every year than a fresh pair of AEs.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 12:55:28 PM »
Cole Haan has done a nice job adapting to modern trends. Some of their shoes are out there, but they feel a little more accessible to me for post-pandemic office work, but quality is nowhere near my AEs that I've had restored several times. But I am more likely to buy a pair of Cole Haans every year than a fresh pair of AEs.

I wear Cole Haans.  One of the few reasonably-priced brands where the high heels are actually comfortable.

Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 12:58:25 PM »
GB

Back in the day I felt that Cole Haans was the best in the business. We started working with them pretty much from the start of the company and a lot of pride having worked with them so early in the company history. The sale to Nike damaged the brand, IMO, but I am back on the CH bandwagon again.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 01:32:27 PM »
GB

Back in the day I felt that Cole Haans was the best in the business. We started working with them pretty much from the start of the company and a lot of pride having worked with them so early in the company history. The sale to Nike damaged the brand, IMO, but I am back on the CH bandwagon again.

It may have damaged brand "prestige" but I think it was integral in making them more modern and focusing on comfort which became a differentiator for them.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 01:35:32 PM »
Wags

That and a nice payout for the owner's courtesy of Nike.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 02:07:46 PM »
I have six pairs of AE dress shoes/loafers in my closet.   Most have been re-soled and re-heeled multiple times.  The newer ones are not as well built as the older ones.   

During the pandemic I tried the online shoe company Beckett Simonon.  Very happy with the one pair I purchased.  I intend to try them again. 
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2022, 04:59:49 PM »
real

AE only purchased the high grade leather and components back in the day and they generally paid way over market price for leather. Overall, they do make quality footwear and I own several pair. For whatever reason they are not a comfortable fit for me, but that is just me. I probably have a bias against them for a number of reasons, but they are fine shoes.

As for Made in USA, I always believed Red Wing Shoe was the gold standard. Again, a bit of bias because I sold them a lot more leather than AE. As a rule, there are not many brands of footwear that I think are all that well made today. Cole Haan was #1 on my list for twenty years and I just bought a pair for the first time in over a decade. Athletic shoes, I am still a big fan of New Balance and for golf I go with FootJoy or Johnston and Murphy all day.

Red Wing is the real deal. Great products, and they stand behind them.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2022, 07:36:36 PM »
Sir

Are you sold or Beckett or not? I checked out their website and willing to roll the dice, provided I get your sign off.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2022, 08:21:14 PM »
Sir

Are you sold or Beckett or not? I checked out their website and willing to roll the dice, provided I get your sign off.

Very pleased. I picked up dress loafers.  Comfortable, and feel solid.  Short break in period.  Sign off.
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2022, 09:03:03 PM »
Sir

Your sign off is good for me. I think I am going for a summer sneaker to give a try.

feedback